Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

Real hurthling! posted:

howd you chop her up so finely?

Very carefully

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Greg12
Apr 22, 2020
enamel is for when you need iron's thermal or body-panel-smashing properties but are cooking with tomato or walking in wet weather or a place where they salt the roads

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

Greg12 posted:

enamel is for when you need iron's thermal or body-panel-smashing properties but are cooking with tomato or walking in wet weather or a place where they salt the roads

Tell us more of your opinions about public policy and settlement patterns.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Back in the big city, 30 seconds after leaving for a walk and a driver nearly runs over my wife and I coming out of a townhouse parking lot. Just... didn't see two people directly in front of her car.

Later a guy driving a UHaul is stopped at a red light and yelling at an older white dude in a car in the next lane, calling him a crazy crackerjack moron etc. The light turns green and UHaul guy floors it to get out in front, then turns his head to look back and continue yelling with his foot on the gas.

mystes
May 31, 2006

AnimeIsTrash posted:

I don't know what that poster is talking about. You can do that at most intersections unless there is explicitly a sign that says "no turn on red".
that is definitely not true in most states

Ferdinand Bardamu
Apr 30, 2013

eXXon posted:

Later a guy driving a UHaul is stopped at a red light and yelling at an older white dude in a car in the next lane, calling him a crazy crackerjack moron etc. The light turns green and UHaul guy floors it to get out in front, then turns his head to look back and continue yelling with his foot on the gas.

congrats, you encountered a mastershakeman in the wild.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
I like waiting for a green before turning right just because it makes people mad :shobon:

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

Greg12 posted:

im always cooking with tomatos

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
Not sure if I'm able to articulate this correctly, but do any of you feel like I do, that 'highway lane etiquette' and being overly concerned about it are symptoms of carbrain in people who would otherwise be right there with you complaining about lovely drivers?

I'm talking about "stay out of the left lane except to pass, I don't care if you're doing the speed limit!" I hear this a lot from friends who drive, who are otherwise competent and calm drivers who yield to cyclists and pedestrians. I'm recalling a video from many years ago, someone was filming from the passenger seat of their car as a bunch of idiots in supercars went racing down the DVP. The discussion around the video was full of "hey gently caress her for being in the left lane, she's just as much of a danger as the street racers."

It doesn't make sense to me, and when these same people rage about someone not moving right to let them pass, they tend to leave out the fact that they're like 60 over the limit the entire time they're on the highway. I think it's a more benign but still present symptom of the insular feeling people get when they're inside their rolling cage.

gradenko_2000 posted:

I like waiting for a green before turning right just because it makes people mad :shobon:

I used to do this with the motorcycle (and occasionally when I was cycling) after too many people would try to creep around me. It's actually taught in MSF courses around here that if you're making a right turn you should basically have the bike pointed diagonally across the lane.

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

uhauls seem like bad news. most people don’t drive vehicles like that, especially not fully loaded.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

Mister Speaker posted:

I'm talking about "stay out of the left lane except to pass, I don't care if you're doing the speed limit!" I hear this a lot from friends who drive, who are otherwise competent and calm drivers who yield to cyclists and pedestrians. I'm recalling a video from many years ago, someone was filming from the passenger seat of their car as a bunch of idiots in supercars went racing down the DVP. The discussion around the video was full of "hey gently caress her for being in the left lane, she's just as much of a danger as the street racers."
well that is literally the law in most countries/states. driving in europe was actually amazing to watch everyone fluidly move over just to pass and immediately get back over.

i usually stay in the right lane because it's faster than the left lane here in california :twisted:

nomad2020
Jan 30, 2007

Its like trying to explain to people how there is a finite limit to the amount of cars able to use an interchange. Rushing down to the exit and merging in doesn't help anymore than forming a 5 mile line of cars, just making everyone mad and probably slowing down the line.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Slower traffic should stay in the rightmost lanes but most European highways are probably two lanes in each direction, not three or four, and don't have weird features like occasional exits on the left, express lanes, HOV lanes, etc.

cool av
Mar 2, 2013

rode my bike for the first time in a year (pedestrian supremacy) and my rear brake was weird. like I think the pads are fine but I had to squeeze the lever more than I used to and it was slow to "spring back" when I let go what happened to my bike who broke my bike ill fix my bike

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

lobster shirt posted:

im always cooking with tomatos

look at little mr italy over here

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

cool av posted:

rode my bike for the first time in a year

hell yeah uncritical support for all cyclists

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR

Xaris posted:

well that is literally the law in most countries/states.

Yeah, that's true and that's sort of why I feel it's difficult to articulate. Yes, they're right that you should move over and let the insane person doing 160kmh by, but the way the complaint is often levelled I just get an overwhelming sense of "get the gently caress out of my way I'm the protagonist of reality" like I never get the impression the response is "yeah so this slowpoke was in the left lane so I stayed a safe distance back and ended up stuck behind him doing 100 the entire way to Orillia."

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things
I need to air up my tires and see if my crippling fear has chilled out a little. I mostly walk everywhere and bus and gently caress i really do want to bike.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

silicone thrills posted:

I need to air up my tires and see if my crippling fear has chilled out a little. I mostly walk everywhere and bus and gently caress i really do want to bike.

for what it's worth I basically never take a left turn on a bike and always just get off and walk across like a pedestrian

it got beaten into my head that getting to where I'm going alive is more important than anything else

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

gradenko_2000 posted:

for what it's worth I basically never take a left turn on a bike and always just get off and walk across like a pedestrian

it got beaten into my head that getting to where I'm going alive is more important than anything else

are things like traffic lamps and crosswalks mainly for decorative purposes where you are, too?

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things

gradenko_2000 posted:

lol im literally afraid of hills and i live in seattle. I bought a bike with the intention of conquering my fear but it only seems to get worse as I get older and I just ride my brakes the entire time.

Bike luckily was bought mostly with a work fitness stipend so im not like out a ton.

cool av
Mar 2, 2013

gradenko_2000 posted:

not sure wher eyou heard that but as a driver i'm pretty sure getting to the next light in the shortest possible time is more important than anything else

Mr. Sharps
Jul 30, 2006

The only true law is that which leads to freedom. There is no other.

cool av posted:

rode my bike for the first time in a year (pedestrian supremacy) and my rear brake was weird. like I think the pads are fine but I had to squeeze the lever more than I used to and it was slow to "spring back" when I let go what happened to my bike who broke my bike ill fix my bike

prob just need to adjust the tension on the cable if it’s a lil loose

BeeSeeBee
Oct 25, 2007

Got a nice little surprise at the end of my ride, my very own <car hops two curbs and crashes through a plate of glass>.

There were like 7 cops mulling around doing nothing useful.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

mawarannahr posted:

are things like traffic lamps and crosswalks mainly for decorative purposes where you are, too?

I posted a couple of pages back that while the Philippines did implement a bunch of bike lanes over the last two years*, everything has opened back up, and we're already sliding back to "maybe motorcycles should be allowed on bike lanes" and "maybe we should abolish bike lanes entirely because it's just taking up lanes that cars could be using"

so while there are traffic lights and crosswalks, it's still risky a lot of times

___

* when we entered into a hard lockdown in 2020, absolutely all public transportation was ended, and even private cars and motorbikes were subject to strict internal border controls. People took to riding bikes (or walking) purely because the government literally did not people any other choice to get around. In some ways it's a demonstration of how sufficient political will can end car culture, but then car culture did eventually come back

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

gradenko_2000 posted:

i stopped riding my bike a couple years ago when we got a bike room in the building and it was out of sight out of mind but i never rode on any road with cars i walked the thing 2 blocks home from the bike path every time cause its not worth the risk.

gonna have to get my kid a bike at some point and saddle up again for her but i kinda just love walking a lot and would rather do it instead until the car is outlawed.

Real hurthling! has issued a correction as of 04:09 on Dec 18, 2022

jetz0r
May 10, 2003

Tomorrow, our nation will sit on the throne of the world. This is not a figment of the imagination, but a fact. Tomorrow we will lead the world, Allah willing.

silicone thrills posted:

lol im literally afraid of hills and i live in seattle. I bought a bike with the intention of conquering my fear but it only seems to get worse as I get older and I just ride my brakes the entire time.

Bike luckily was bought mostly with a work fitness stipend so im not like out a ton.
descending on a bike is one of my favorite things. the bike is my trusty stead, she can handle more than i can, all i have to do is be confidant and guide her within both our limits.

riding brakes down long descents is bad. they need a heat difference to convert your kinetic energy into thermal energy, and constant rubbing causes heat to continuously build up. breaking in harder bursts with a cooldown between will keep them fresher and prevent fading or damage.

SimonSays
Aug 4, 2006

Simon is the monkey's name

cool av posted:

There's a bike mech thread in I think The Great Outdoors but if hydraulic discs: there's moisture or dirt in the line and you need a bleed. If mechanical: try adjusting the cable, if it's still bad change the cable and housing (not just the cable, they work as a unit).

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things

jetz0r posted:

descending on a bike is one of my favorite things. the bike is my trusty stead, she can handle more than i can, all i have to do is be confidant and guide her within both our limits.

riding brakes down long descents is bad. they need a heat difference to convert your kinetic energy into thermal energy, and constant rubbing causes heat to continuously build up. breaking in harder bursts with a cooldown between will keep them fresher and prevent fading or damage.

Yes I get that but sometime after I turned 30ish I got unreasonably afraid of hills. Same thing happened to me with snowboarding. I have to basically take anti anxiety meds or drink to let go enough to not be having a panic attack and shaking the entire time.

I was a bomb down the hill on my bike kid and jumped out of trees and flew off the swings kid. Idk somewhere along the way my brain went "ah gently caress u are totally mortal as gently caress"

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

mawarannahr posted:

moral of the story don’t come to the car hating thread to boast of your car and house with the nice road for cars

where do i boast about my car

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things

actionjackson posted:

where do i boast about my car

Isn't there a whole forum for it? Something like automotive insanity?

Deadly Ham Sandwich
Aug 19, 2009
Smellrose
Your brain flipped the "I'm old and my bones will shatter from a fall" sense a few decades too early. Although I've seen plenty of people never realize they are old and out of shape, then proceed to destroy their knees trying to reinact the athleticism of their teens.

But for real people can develop phobias at any age. Allergies too. Unlike allergies, I think phobias are very treatable. It's the one thing cognitive-behavioral therapy is really good at. Something really high like 90% phobia remission.

Weembles
Apr 19, 2004

nomad2020 posted:

Its like trying to explain to people how there is a finite limit to the amount of cars able to use an interchange. Rushing down to the exit and merging in doesn't help anymore than forming a 5 mile line of cars, just making everyone mad and probably slowing down the line.

Zipper merging is more efficient than trying to merge into one big line and also doesn't lead to people throwing tantrums when the person who didn't recognize that they had just passed the tail end of a five mile line of cars has to get in line.

nomad2020
Jan 30, 2007

Weembles posted:

Zipper merging is more efficient than trying to merge into one big line and also doesn't lead to people throwing tantrums when the person who didn't recognize that they had just passed the tail end of a five mile line of cars has to get in line.

This works as long as the interchange is below capacity, above capacity you're just playing around.

E: Just glad the bus gets it's own lane on the parts of the interstate I go.

nomad2020 has issued a correction as of 06:22 on Dec 18, 2022

Weembles
Apr 19, 2004

nomad2020 posted:

This works as long as the interchange is below capacity, above capacity you're just playing around.

E: Just glad the bus gets it's own lane on the parts of the interstate I go.

Even above capacity, a merge point can still run slower than the theoretical max capacity - which is what happens when you try to merge into one line. It's been studied a lot and zipper merging always turns out to be faster.

nomad2020
Jan 30, 2007

I think we're getting lost in the weeds. This would hardly be an issue if people smartened up and got on the bus with me.

VV Teamwork makes the dream work! VV

nomad2020 has issued a correction as of 07:19 on Dec 18, 2022

Weembles
Apr 19, 2004

nomad2020 posted:

I think we're getting lost in the weeds. This would hardly be an issue if people smartened up and got on the bus with me.

I agree. The best way to solve a problem is to not get into it in the first place.

Mayor Dave
Feb 20, 2009

Bernie the Snow Clown

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
https://twitter.com/mich_jpg/status/1604338692801249280?t=NlDCoAH31DeMYePBIZFG8w&s=19

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

nomad2020 posted:

VV Teamwork makes the dream work! VV

yup