Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Goddrat Runick Floodgates is such a beautiful war crime. Genuinely curious if whoever designed Hugin knew what they were doing

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

Got another mechanics question for something that actually worked out in my favor.

So my Runick opponent played Dimensional Fissure, an unrelated continuous spell that said that cards sent to the graveyard are banished instead, which worked as described when I used an Ash Blossom. However, when I later detached some materials from an XYZ monster, I was surprised to see that they still got sent to the graveyard as normal.

Skios
Oct 1, 2021
Why is it that the people with the worst connections play the slowest, most tedious combo decks?

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Regalingualius posted:

Got another mechanics question for something that actually worked out in my favor.

So my Runick opponent played Dimensional Fissure, an unrelated continuous spell that said that cards sent to the graveyard are banished instead, which worked as described when I used an Ash Blossom. However, when I later detached some materials from an XYZ monster, I was surprised to see that they still got sent to the graveyard as normal.
XYZ materials don't count as monsters apparently.

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

Skios posted:

Why is it that the people with the worst connections play the slowest, most tedious combo decks?

People have realized it's a reliable way to get your opponent to scoop.

The game desperately needs a way to filter matchmaking so we can exclude mobile/wifi players.

Skios
Oct 1, 2021
Yeah, you're probably right. It was ddoubly annoying because I had to watch my opponent durdle for literally fifteen minutes, then insta-scoop the moment I made Baronne.

Anyway, OCG banlist update. Mostly some serious hits to Tearlaments, I'm curious if any of those will be live when that deck makes it to Master Duel. Also, Ancient Fairy Dragon back to 1, but with some very heavy erratas. Both abilities are now hard once per turn, and its field spell search can't search a field spell that was destroyed on its activation.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

Irony Be My Shield posted:

XYZ materials don't count as monsters apparently.

XYZ materials override the banishing when sent to the graveyard thing but I don't remember why. It's more relevant when you have monsters that revive themselves from the graveyard but banish themselves the next time they leave the field. Becoming an XYZ material means you don't "leave the field" the proper way.

Flagrama
Jun 19, 2010

Lipstick Apathy
XYZ material are not "on the field"

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!
I think you can understand all weirdness about XYZ materials by remembering that it's mostly to shut down trying to be clever with stuff like Sangan.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Lord_Magmar posted:

XYZ materials override the banishing when sent to the graveyard thing but I don't remember why. It's more relevant when you have monsters that revive themselves from the graveyard but banish themselves the next time they leave the field. Becoming an XYZ material means you don't "leave the field" the proper way.

Flagrama posted:

XYZ material are not "on the field"
This is true (and notably very important to how the Phantom Knights deck works) but irrelevant in the case of Dimensional Fissure, which banishes monsters regardless of where they're being sent from as long as their destination is the graveyard. Looking it up this interaction is because "Xyz Materials underneath Xyz Monsters do not count as monsters, so detached Xyz Materials will be sent to the Graveyard even if "Dimensional Fissure" is on the field."

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

Lord_Magmar posted:

Yeah, seeing Dodododwarf still go to the graveyard after I detach him (even though his self-revival effect specifically says he gets banished if he leaves the field again) threw me for a loop.

I was just very slightly annoyed because right before I saw that interaction play out, I had used Onomatopaira and pulled slightly suboptimal monsters from my deck because I thought that they would be banished when they were detached… though it didn’t wind up mattering in the end, since they scooped shortly after.

Ardeem
Sep 16, 2010

There is no problem that cannot be solved through sufficient application of lasers and friendship.
This is also a fun trick in Mathmechs.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream
https://twitter.com/Sebto360/status/1602092188908797952

Finally, we are slowly approaching emulation of the golden era of YGO, running 12 pieces of S/T removal and at least one annoying floodgate to slow your opponent down.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
Nature is healing.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

So I just saw this dirt cheap Cyberstein FTK list floating around on MDM, and I’m just wondering how it works? I mean, I figure that the end goal is to get the Starving Venom out, and you use the Ignknights to cycle, but I’m admittedly not quite bridging the gap here.

https://www.masterduelmeta.com/top-decks/duelist-cup-dlv.-max/december-2022/cyber-stein-ftk/him/5r4K_

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Igknights are there to guarantee a 2 igknight hand so you can search condensation knight, which gets squeak knight to go into isolde and then go from there.

Thats not the actual cyberstein FTK since it has no way to search Cyberstein, the current method is to use Road Warrior.
Here it is in action:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-iEsXtGgjw8

Rigged Death Trap fucked around with this message at 00:20 on Dec 15, 2022

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

Yeah, I kinda noticed that, too: plenty of ways to draw out FIRE stuff, but only one thing for Stein… and it’s a deck-to-GY effect without much (if any) way to actually recover him.

Ardeem
Sep 16, 2010

There is no problem that cannot be solved through sufficient application of lasers and friendship.

Rigged Death Trap posted:

Igknights are there to guarantee a 2 igknight hand so you can search condensation knight, which gets squeak knight to go into isolde and then go from there.

Thats not the actual cyberstein FTK since it has no way to search Cyberstein, the current method is to use Road Warrior.
Here it is in action:

Halq is banned though.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Yeah without Halq you can't do the old route. Looks like the combo is (requiring any 3 Igknights, similar to the old one. Although here I think one of them has to be level 4, and you have to run a lot more equips so you can make Armageddon Knight rather than just getting Renaud):
1. use two of the igknights to search Sublimation Knight, including an L4
2. sublimation knight gets Squeaknight, which can summon itself
3. Make Isolde, search another Igknight
4. Pend summon a level 4 igknight from your extra deck
5. Use your Igknights to search Renaud
6. Use Isolde to summon Armageddon Knight (sending 4 equips including Telekinetic Charging Cell)
7. Armageddon Knight sends Cyber Stein to the grave
8. Special Renaud, get back the charging cell
9. Overlay your L4s to make Dugares, use Dugares to get back Stein
10. Link off Renaud and Isolde for Reprodocus pointing to Stein
11. Make Stein a psychic using Repro, equip Charging Cell so you no longer pay life for its effect
12. Summon Nightingale, Starving Venom and the Windwitch, use their effects to copy Nightingale and burn your opponent for lethal damage.

The GOP Delusion
Sep 10, 2010

The security of Israel is a moral imperative for all free peoples.

Regalingualius posted:

Yeah, I kinda noticed that, too: plenty of ways to draw out FIRE stuff, but only one thing for Stein… and it’s a deck-to-GY effect without much (if any) way to actually recover him.

My understanding is that there are lots of ways to get to Armageddon knight (as a warrior) and then mill stein, dugares is easy to make as well. You must resolve knight though, thankfully it’s not a hard once. You could also play dark grepher but this particular list isn’t playing it because they don’t have enough darks.
Also, if you get any piece into the graveyard you can use one of the copy effects on it.

E: ninja’s

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

I haven't touched the game in 20 years, but I've been having fun in one of the GBA games so I want to try playing some real Yu-Gi-Oh. I've seen videos on youtube so I know it's really complicated. Is Master Duel a good way to learn?

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

VostokProgram posted:

I haven't touched the game in 20 years, but I've been having fun in one of the GBA games so I want to try playing some real Yu-Gi-Oh. I've seen videos on youtube so I know it's really complicated. Is Master Duel a good way to learn?

There's plenty of solo modes that have tutorials that'll get you somewhat up to speed on new summoning mechanics and comboing, but be prepared for an absolute whiplash on what Yu-Gi-Oh was back when that GBA game came out and what Yu-Gi-Oh actually is now.

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

VostokProgram posted:

Yeah, it's a good way to get adjusted to modern yugioh. It's a little behind the actual physical TCG release, and the banlist is its own list that is closer to the OCG.

Flair
Apr 5, 2016

VostokProgram posted:

Is Master Duel a good way to learn?

I think the only way to learn is to watch videos, though Master Duel does work with the full ruleset, so if something does not work the way you think it does, the game is right.

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

Oh I'm already past the whiplash, I've seen some crazy poo poo on youtube. But it looks like it could be fun so I want to give it a shot

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
:justduel:

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

kirbysuperstar posted:

:justdddddddddddduel:

Charles Bukowski
Aug 26, 2003

Taskmaster 2023 Second Place Winner

Grimey Drawer
Anyone remember the Monster Eye ftk? It can pay 1k LP to grab a poly from your GY. I think it was this monster, the psychic spell to make the cost free, a poly, and probably something dumb like zero magic crusher to discard the poly for damage. Infinite BURN TO THE GROUND

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Master Duel is good, you can put together basically any deck you want for free if you play consistently and you can play whenever you want. Starting out my advice is to be careful about how you spend SR/UR dust, you get a fair amount upfront but it will end up being the main chokepoint for building anything. Cards like handtraps and generic extra deck bosses are unexciting but can often be reused in multiple future decks, so a deck that requires you to make a bunch of those is sortof "cheaper" than a deck that requires you to make a lot of in-archetype stuff.

e: also the link starter deck is the best one because it has Link Spider which is actually a playable card

Charles Bukowski
Aug 26, 2003

Taskmaster 2023 Second Place Winner

Grimey Drawer
No, get the one with 2 MST in case you only want to play Sealed for some reason.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Rata has awoken!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NRhCrgF9Q_g

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ebMQpo0beTo

I’m real proud of this match I just had in the festival :allears:

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

Regalingualius posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ebMQpo0beTo

I’m real proud of this match I just had in the festival :allears:

All those cards in their hand and they didn't have ANYTHING else to at least attempt a bait for you to use Harbinger's effect on before they used Lightning Storm? :psyduck:

Nyaa
Jan 7, 2010
Like, Nyaa.

:colbert:
Skill issue. They deserve to lose.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

Yeah, for whatever reason, lately I’ve been seeing folks use Called right after I activate Rank Up’s “attach from GY” effect on Hope Harbinger… and they always target the Utopia Double, which is the most “one use only” card in the deck anyways.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pR2gMVdl1JU

Any ideas on why this played out the way it did? I thought for sure that the second Cyclone would have caused Leo Ray’s negate to fail, because it’s no longer equipped with a monster (which is a mandatory requirement for activating the negate) at the point in the chain where the negate is supposed to happen, but it still went off on my opponent’s monster just fine.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

The equip is an activation requirement, but not a resolution requirement. Some cards say "You must x to activate and to resolve this effect", and Leo Ray doesn't.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

Ohh, I see; so Hope Harbinger negating + absorbing the first Cyclone was kind of a waste, then?

Skios
Oct 1, 2021
Just had an incredibly fun matchup with my Zombie deck. It was a mirror match going second, which I won off of the fact that A) I had Forbidden Droplet in my opening hand and B) They were, for whatever reason, only playing one copy of Doomking Balderoch. They ran through their opening turn off of Shiranui Sunsaga, ending on Zombie World, two back row, Uni-Zombie and, for some reason Changshi the Spiridao. I half-expected my opponent to surrender the moment I either hit their Balderoch with Forbidden Droplet or banished it with my own, but we played it out to the end.

Still trying to make Branded Zombies work as well, but I'm running into some issues, mainly cars like Glow-Up Bloom locking you into Zombies.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flair
Apr 5, 2016

We are getting a rerun of Swordsoul, Despia, and Icejade Selection Pack.