Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

somepartsareme
Mar 10, 2012

Diggle Hell is a Real
(Swingin') Place
I feel like if we could cultivate a hemp industry in our fortresses it would solve a lot of problems

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GruntyThrst
Oct 9, 2007

*clang*

I am so loving sick of dwarves getting stuck in trees. Is there any way to get them down besides building huge staircases or cutting down the tree?

Flavahbeast
Jul 21, 2001

Buschmaki posted:

I always keep my military dwarfs always on duty so they get the "didn't feel anything at (x thought)" thoughts

most dwarves in my fort have that because of the insane levels of bird death and because I am not dutifully hiding my corpse piles, and because there are goblin teeth embedded in some fortifications that I haven't bothered to dig out. The dwarves giving me problems have thought windows like this:

5-10 good thoughts for every 'past trauma'/'past injury'/'being attacked' memory, but they still deteriorate if they stay on duty, and taking a little time off to meet unmet prayer needs isn't enough to fix it on its own. This guy in particular has both 'is often sad and dejected' and 'doesn't handle stress well' as personality traits so he's kind of a hard case

PDP-1
Oct 12, 2004

It's a beautiful day in the neighborhood.
RIP Azuz, the dwarf who was such a wine snob that he spent his last days stomping around the drink storage area furious about always having to drink the same kind of booze until dying from dehydration surrounded by barrels with 200+ drinks.

You will not be missed.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Super No Vacancy posted:

i traded for a giant eagle in a cage. how do i get it out of the cage and what can i do with it. i set it as pet eligible but its still in the cage

Can tame giant eagles fly yet

Because I realized earlier that I added that issue to the bug tracker back in 2011

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

somepartsareme posted:

I feel like if we could cultivate a hemp industry in our fortresses it would solve a lot of problems

you can, it's a surface crop that can be processed for plant thread (and used for papermaking)

unfortunately dwarves do not yet have the technology to 420 blaze it

mst4k
Apr 18, 2003

budlitemolaram

The elves will not sell me wood and reject it if I try and buy it from them even if I specifically trade like, an awesome steel breastplate (do they hate those as well?). I've almost cleared every goblin settlement within 2 days travel time of my fortress so time to expand even further in to the caverns and write more books about breathing and pregnancy (to be clear, these are completely different subjects to my scholars)

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

I got my problem with the minecart quantum stockpile fixed - the problem was I had set both an intake and outtake stockpile for the minecart, and you only want an intake stockpile.

However there's another huge problem with it not covered in the video: using a 1-tile source stockpile to place the initial stones in before the minecart dumps them in the quantum stockpile is incredibly inefficient. A 3x3 stockpile for haulers to take stones to is better for two reasons:
1) You can assign 4 Wheelbarrows to it
2) A minecart can hold 5 stone anyway so you save yourself the labor cost of 4 minecart activations (which gets switched out to a different dwarf each time so it takes a while)

But this setup with 4 Wheelbarrows assigned to it is incredibly fast at hoovering up your fort's stone:

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012
Okay dealing with Werebeasts coming to attack the fort is is a genuine fun challenge but holy poo poo guests randomly were-ing out in the middle of the tavern is just nonsense.

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
Is there a very specific thing that the Screw Press wants when it says "Requires Liquid Container?" It doesn't seem to be buckets, leather bags, waterskins or anything else I can think of.

resistentialism
Aug 13, 2007

jugs I think

Elderbean
Jun 10, 2013

How do you normally store corpses, and how do you separate the bones from the fresh stuff without your dwarves having to go to the pile and see dead poo poo.

Athanatos
Jun 7, 2006

Est. 1967
Is there a "Go get these items and put them HERE instead even it it's in some other stockpile" button?

I have to delete old stockpiles to make the items in them be dispersed where I want them sometimes.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

somepartsareme posted:

We already have too many dorfs in trouble because they got high.

GruntyThrst posted:

I am so loving sick of dwarves getting stuck in trees. Is there any way to get them down besides building huge staircases or cutting down the tree?

See?

ASAPI
Apr 20, 2007
I invented the line.

Athanatos posted:

Is there a "Go get these items and put them HERE instead even it it's in some other stockpile" button?

I have to delete old stockpiles to make the items in them be dispersed where I want them sometimes.

When you find out, let me know.

I swear they randomly make errors or something.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

What's the deal with thieving goblins? I usually don't even get the alert until they're nearly off the map. In this case, 3 showed up about 20 tiles away from escaping, and already heading toward the map edge. Looking at them I didn't see any items they were carrying except for their own gear that I'm 99% sure I didn't have. And it's not like anything is stored near the edge of the map - they'd have to climb down 22 flights of stairs then run past 4 dormitory barracks with fortification walls that always have dwarves training in them. Did they just see my security and nope out or something?

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

deep dish peat moss posted:

What's the deal with thieving goblins? I usually don't even get the alert until they're nearly off the map. In this case, 3 showed up about 20 tiles away from escaping, and already heading toward the map edge. Looking at them I didn't see any items they were carrying except for their own gear that I'm 99% sure I didn't have. And it's not like anything is stored near the edge of the map - they'd have to climb down 22 flights of stairs then run past 4 dormitory barracks with fortification walls that always have dwarves training in them. Did they just see my security and nope out or something?

Most likely, they got spotted by some of your dwarves or animals, got spooked, and left. Thieves and snatchers generally seem to be pretty cowardly.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

That makes sense, I'd just rather not get the alert at all :argh: But I guess I can ignore it now.

On another note I'm having the same problem someone else was earlier with dwarves seemingly stuck at a mining demonstration in the guild hall:

It's currently a ~5600 wealth guild hall (I agreed to make it a Grand Guildhall for them ugh) so nothing absurdly valuable. Most of my dwarves had picked up mining on their own, I tried removing it from several of them but they won't stop watching. They are nearly dying of thirst, and only about 20 tiles away from both alcohol and water. (They eventually run for the drinks, then right back to the demonstration)

They were briefly interrupted by one miner who went stark raving mad because he withdrew from society and then never took a workbench and I forgot about him. So he came in and attacked them and they pulverized him and went right back to the mining demonstration. It has been going on for two full seasons now.

I'd like to imagine the mining demonstration is like that rockbreaking contest from the hobbit where two people compete to see who can break the most rocks in a row without stopping, and they're both legendary miners who aren't stopping any time soon.

e: Also having a Legendary Engraver rules. You can pretty much just build a small room and engrave the walls to satisfy the wealth requirements for basic temples and guild halls, and it's very easy to make nobles happy with tiny rooms if you engrave them all. None of the furniture got added to this room until I started pushing toward the 10k wealth for grand hall

e2: I am pretty sure the solution here is just to give them a lot of mining to do. Almost everyone toggled mining on themselves and grabbed a pick and became a miner at some point, and I haven't mined anything for several seasons. They're just mining addicts in need of a fix :(

deep dish peat moss fucked around with this message at 04:00 on Dec 18, 2022

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan
My poor brave mayor, she charged right into that Forgotten Beast fight

Right leg gone, left foot rotted from poison, left arm mangled. This is why you let the military handle this poo poo :smith:

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

e2: I am pretty sure the solution here is just to give them a lot of mining to do. Almost everyone toggled mining on themselves and grabbed a pick and became a miner at some point, and I haven't mined anything for several seasons. They're just mining addicts in need of a fix :(

everyone learning some mining is far from the worst outcome you could get from a bunch of dwarves loving off. it improves their kinesthetic sense which makes them better at basically everything important

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Well the problem is they're doing it while there's a lot of actual work to be doing

Pickled Tink
Apr 28, 2012

Have you heard about First Dog? It's a very good comic I just love.

Also, wear your bike helmets kids. I copped several blows to the head but my helmet left me totally unscathed.

Finally you should check out First Dog as it's a good comic I like it very much.
Fun Shoe

Athanatos posted:

Well, I can think of two ways. The first way is to go into the custom settings and tell the stockpiles you don't want to hold that specific thing to not hold that specific thing anymore, at which point dwarves will cart them off to the correct stockpile.

The second, which I have not tested, is to tell the stockpile to feed another stockpile with the requisite settings. I have done this, sort of, with wood in my current fort. I have a surface stockpile inside my surface walls, and that one is used to drop off all the wood from my woodcutter when I send them on a rampage. Every now and then I set it to feed two wood stockpiles inside so dwarves cart poo poo from there to the indoors, and when a workshop pulls out logs, a dwarf heads to the surface, grabs a log from the feeder pile, and carts it to the pile near the workshop.

I'm pretty sure you can use this to establish small stockpiles of proper materials near a workshop and have them fed from a great big motherpile elsewhere in the fortress.

Aeolusdallas
Mar 2, 2016

rain dogs posted:

If a visiting merchant dies to one of the giant animals on my map is it safe to take his stuff from the depot or will his faction still get mad?

His faction will be mad he died. So since you already murdered him in their eyes, you might as well rob him

Chewbot
Dec 2, 2005

My Revenge Meat!
Sorry if Im repeating something, there's 700 pages to read through- is combat borked in the Steam version? I trained up three dwarves to mid-level fighters with basic iron gear, then sent them on non-stop raids and pillages. They always come back successfully (with garbage spoils), so I started trying to intentionally get them killed. They levelled up super fast and now I'm sending 3 axelord dwarves to conquer cities with thousands of citizens and they can't seem to lose. Eventually (it took years) my fortress got counter-sieged and my lone military commander killed an invasion force of like 15 armored humans without taking any damage (he got tired).

Is this right? Seems kind of not so fun that I can have an unstoppable hit squad after training up 3 nobodies with basic gear in a couple months.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

I spent so long building a huge L shaped minecart track. Track stop at both ends. Load up iron ore at one end, drop it off at the other. An order to push the cart west when full. I got so excited when I saw the cart load up and a guy start pushing it down the track. Then he just stopped and abandoned it and someone else came and picked up the cart and carried it by hand to the destination. What the hell? Why's the game always gotta be like this. What have I done wrong? Why don't they just push the drat cart from A to B?

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Chewbot posted:

Sorry if Im repeating something, there's 700 pages to read through- is combat borked in the Steam version? I trained up three dwarves to mid-level fighters with basic iron gear, then sent them on non-stop raids and pillages. They always come back successfully (with garbage spoils), so I started trying to intentionally get them killed. They levelled up super fast and now I'm sending 3 axelord dwarves to conquer cities with thousands of citizens and they can't seem to lose. Eventually (it took years) my fortress got counter-sieged and my lone military commander killed an invasion force of like 15 armored humans without taking any damage (he got tired).

Is this right? Seems kind of not so fun that I can have an unstoppable hit squad after training up 3 nobodies with basic gear in a couple months.

It isn't exactly a balanced game, no.

That said, I suspect the raid/pillage aspect is even less balanced than fortress mode. There's a huge luck element with combat where your guys can be badasses for decades then WHOOPS run into some lone badass who killed a thousand things in world gen and got ultralegendary and then your main dudes all get reanimated against you by a necromancer and everyone else tantrum spirals and, well, poo poo.

mst4k
Apr 18, 2003

budlitemolaram

I got my problem with the minecart quantum stockpile fixed - the problem was I had set both an intake and outtake stockpile for the minecart, and you only want an intake stockpile.

However there's another huge problem with it not covered in the video: using a 1-tile source stockpile to place the initial stones in before the minecart dumps them in the quantum stockpile is incredibly inefficient. A 3x3 stockpile for haulers to take stones to is better for two reasons:
1) You can assign 4 Wheelbarrows to it
2) A minecart can hold 5 stone anyway so you save yourself the labor cost of 4 minecart activations (which gets switched out to a different dwarf each time so it takes a while)

But this setup with 4 Wheelbarrows assigned to it is incredibly fast at hoovering up your fort's stone:

I set up 5 of these and it works perfect. Thanks for posting this.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

mst4k posted:

I set up 5 of these and it works perfect. Thanks for posting this.

:tipshat: thinking it over now, for pure speed optimization it should be 10 tiles with 5 wheelbarrows - each wheelbarrow is one extra consecutive rock hauling job at a time. 5 would allow 5 rocks to be hauled at once, which is as many as fit in the wheelbarrow.

For a larger-scale, faster cleanup operation, add even more tiles and wheelbarrows to the input stockpile, to act as a buffer delivering new stones while the "move rocks into minecart and kick minecart" part of the job is done. I think with enough tiles/wheelbarrows in the input you could essentially have a dedicated 24/7 minecart-kicker, but of course that takes up more and more space - so the even more optimized version would be a small, separate stone stockpile dug into the floor above or below and connected by adjacent stairs that has a few wheelbarrows and space for stones, and setting that stockpile to feed into the one that feeds the quantum tile. But that's all unnecessary min/max "clean up my fort faster" optimization.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

All my hospitalized dwarves are dropping dead due to dehydration. I have hundreds of units of drink. I also have tons of buckets and water all over the place. Is there once again some absolutely obtuse set of systems I have to create to perfectly align to have a chance of them being given water?

Weembles
Apr 19, 2004

hailthefish posted:

you can, it's a surface crop that can be processed for plant thread (and used for papermaking)

It's really good, too. It's not hard to grow a lot of it and it can be made into both paper and oil for soap.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

Baronjutter posted:

All my hospitalized dwarves are dropping dead due to dehydration. I have hundreds of units of drink. I also have tons of buckets and water all over the place. Is there once again some absolutely obtuse set of systems I have to create to perfectly align to have a chance of them being given water?

Probably

Do you have dorfs designated to do the "orderly" labor

are your hospitalized dwarves still sane or have they gone catatonic

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

Baronjutter posted:

Make sure you've got "orderlies" (or the more specific sub-job "take water to patients" or whatever it's called in the job list) either set to "everyone can do this" or, if only some people can do it, the people assigned to it aren't "the people who are hospitalized"

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

hailthefish posted:

When you think about it, a volcano is the earth's way of asking to be made into a bong

Dr. Fraiser Chain
May 18, 2004

Redlining my shit posting machine

Still have dwarves running up 30 levels to go to my stream for some reason. I reset the drink supply to a cavern lake that I have protected. Doubtful it'll do anything they loving love the surface

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

If my embark doesn't have any non-hostile neighbors nearby, will I still get caravans? I found a cool spot but it's on a very large island that only has goblin sites on it.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
Based on my island you'll only get the yearly dwarven caravan

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

I was adding a few of these so here's a guide in pictures, because I hate video guides.

Ultra-efficient high-speed automated quantum stockpiling
AKA "My stockpiles finally work like Rimworld with a Deep Storage mod!"

1) Create a 1-tile stockpile marked for the type of good you want to quantum stockpile. Some good candidates are stones, wood, economic rocks, ore, and furniture. Anything you have a lot of, regularly get more of, and that does not stack in containers already. Ideally this is a tile adjacent to one or more crafting stations that use that resource.
Critically, make sure the indicated icon is toggled off to ensure that the quantum stockpile remains undisturbed by future hauling. Nothing will be placed on this tile except what the minecart places there.

2) Build a Rail Stop (constructions -> rail stop) adjacent to the quantum stockpile tile. In the settings, make sure the arrow points toward the quantum tile. Also make sure the Braking is set to max (it is by default just don't touch it).

3) Build a second stockpile in the shape shown here, set to the same type of item you want to quantum stockpile. Click the Barrel icon and make sure that 5 wheelbarrows are assigned to this stockpile.

4) Open the Minecart Routes menu in the bottom toolbar. Add a new route.
a) add a stop to the route and select the stop you just built.
b) assign a minecart to the route
c) select the item type you are stockpiling for the route
d) designate an input stockpile (the big one you made) but not an output stockpile
e) click the set conditions button. In the conditions menu, touch nothing except the options circled in the screenshot below. Make sure the left button shows a foot kicking a minecart, and make sure the arrow points toward the quantum stockpile tile.

And that's it. Now your dwarves will queue up 5 consecutive hauling jobs to the larger stockpile, once it's filled another dwarf will place 5 wood/stone in the minecart, then another dwarf will kick it and those 5 items will move to the quantum tile. By around this point your haulers should be coming back with 5 new items to stick in the minecart.

Optional hauling speedrun step:
Build adjacent stairs up/down one floor and set up a small stockpile for the same type of item (10-25 tiles) with up to half of that stockpile's tiles assigned to wheelbarrows. Set that stockpile to feed items into the stockpile that feeds the quantum tile. Your hauling chain now includes three stops: Feeder stockpile (puts items into the minecart), buffer stockpile (pre-hauls items to be quickly moved into the feeder stockpile), and quantum stockpile.

3x4 tiles and a minimal early-game material cost to automatically store an infinite amount of any item. And also to finally clean up your goddamn floors in a timely and efficient matter. Sure it's cheaty but storage is my single biggest frustration in this game and this makes it effortless. You can even do food or whatever. Pretend the quantum stockpile setup is Rimworld's nutripaste dispenser and you're dropping an endless stream of sludge into a single tile of your tavern for dwarves to eat and drink. No fiddling with dumping designations or unlocking dumped items. Fully automated!! Hell, do it with your trade goods near the depot, too!

deep dish peat moss fucked around with this message at 06:07 on Dec 18, 2022

Gyoru
Jul 13, 2004

Bold Robot posted:

If my embark doesn't have any non-hostile neighbors nearby, will I still get caravans? I found a cool spot but it's on a very large island that only has goblin sites on it.

You can force first contact with civilizations outside your embark zone/those not considered neighbors by sending out a 1 dwarf squad to demand tribute or any of the other world map missions, but demanding tribute is the safest. This will add the unlisted civ to your list and they will show up during the caravan seasonal windows. Sometimes they'll even pay the one-time tribute and give you some junk. I get 4 human civs in the summer on the same day and 4 dwarfs on their season

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Flavahbeast posted:

most dwarves in my fort have that because of the insane levels of bird death and because I am not dutifully hiding my corpse piles, and because there are goblin teeth embedded in some fortifications that I haven't bothered to dig out. The dwarves giving me problems have thought windows like this:

5-10 good thoughts for every 'past trauma'/'past injury'/'being attacked' memory, but they still deteriorate if they stay on duty, and taking a little time off to meet unmet prayer needs isn't enough to fix it on its own. This guy in particular has both 'is often sad and dejected' and 'doesn't handle stress well' as personality traits so he's kind of a hard case

ooooh drat made me realize these drat gator teeth that have been in my main tavern for years arer probably lodged in that drat chair or table b/c even after marking for disposal nobody grabs em

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

resistentialism
Aug 13, 2007

Crossbow non-lethality