Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
How many quarters after Q1 2016 till Marissa Mayer is unemployed?
1 or fewer
Her job is guaranteed; what are you even talking about?
View Results

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Heh, Keen.

Carmack is notoriously a bit of a weird robot of a dude but figures he's still better at it than Zuck.

just found out about his opinion on immigration and "weird robot" may be a charitable description

https://twitter.com/id_aa_carmack/status/825344933817098240

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

Mister Facetious posted:

I prefer to turn off all suggested ads and force advertisers to waste money desperately trying to hawk poo poo i don't care about.

The best technique, which I think I learned in this thread, is to just keep selecting "not interested in this ad". Eventually you'll start getting really weird ads, for like Certified Racehorse Semen.

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

Agents are GO! posted:

The best technique, which I think I learned in this thread, is to just keep selecting "not interested in this ad". Eventually you'll start getting really weird ads, for like Certified Racehorse Semen.

You can get it certified??????

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

Freakazoid_ posted:

just found out about his opinion on immigration and "weird robot" may be a charitable description

I mean, he isn't wrong about it being discrimination, I'd say he is wrong to say "discriminate wisely" (unless it's sardonic.)

Edit: I read the quote wrong at first.

Libertarianism is generally pro-immigration, or was when I was one. It's one of the few things I still agree with the philosophy on.

Agents are GO! fucked around with this message at 22:18 on Dec 17, 2022

Sagacity
May 2, 2003
Hopefully my epitaph will be funnier than my custom title.

Silly Burrito posted:

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Agents are GO! posted:

I mean, he isn't wrong about it being discrimination, I'd say he is wrong to say "discriminate wisely" (unless it's sardonic.)

Edit: I read the quote wrong at first.

Libertarianism is generally pro-immigration, or was when I was one. It's one of the few things I still agree with the philosophy on.

It has always been pro "the right king of immigrant" immigration.

MrNemo
Aug 26, 2010

"I just love beeting off"

That's true, libertarians are basically incognito monarchists.

Owling Howl
Jul 17, 2019

MrNemo posted:

That's true, libertarians are basically incognito monarchists.

Kings of their own domain.

StumblyWumbly
Sep 12, 2007

Batmanticore!

Silly Burrito posted:

Let me tell you about horse semen!

Horses are bred, and some folks think that breeding is important. How many generations of race winners they have is a big one but there are other traits and you also have to make sure that the horses aren't closely related as well. The super star breeding doesn't happen because horses just get crazy at the bar after a big race, it turns out that the folks who own horses have a lot of disposable income, so there's a whole business attached to the business end of the horse.

First they extract the semen by essentially having the horse screw an inflatable horse, with a whole team of assistants around to make sure it happens safely. Then they freeze the semen, ship it around the world, defrost it, make sure it is still viable, and artificially inseminate the mare. There is a whole business around each step in this process, including a business to certify that the semen came from a horse with the characteristics you, the horse semen buyer, are looking for, and it was alive and treated correctly when they shipped it.

There's probably a similar system for other types of livestock (and maybe zoo animals?), but I imagine that horses are where the big money is.

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
arent the top animals in various rich people animal hobbies so inbred that there's a tiny movement to maybe stop being so inbred?

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.

Boot and Rally posted:

It is location based. People at the party around you kept searching "cologne that smells like rear end" and your cologne, "rear end by Givenchy", came up. You're in the same location cohort, so targeting advertisers figured you'd like to know about said cologne too.

How the gently caress did you know what cologne I was wearing? :tinfoil:

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

thekeeshman posted:

What does that 5% GPU utilization number mean? Does it mean the software is maxing the CPU while only using 5% of GPU capacity? Or that only 5% of customers have a GPU?

I assume he meant that Oculus hardware is vastly overspecced for rendering Wii-level metaverse graphics for with their countable polygons.

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

StumblyWumbly posted:

Tech Nightmares 5: Let me tell you about horse semen!

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

StumblyWumbly posted:

There's probably a similar system for other types of livestock (and maybe zoo animals?), but I imagine that horses are where the big money is.
Wagyu bull semen, 10 straws (doses) for $67K.

Different horse breeds have different rules. Thoroughbreds have to be "live cover", for instance. This means that there is frozen Thoroughbred semen out there that is worthless for track racing, but is sold to people who want to breed (say) quarter horses. tl;dr: People are weird.

notwithoutmyanus
Mar 17, 2009

StumblyWumbly posted:

I'm sure nobody could possibly take this out of context. Efb..

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Do you call brokers “stud finders”?

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

Platystemon posted:

Do you call brokers “stud finders”?

No those are the things at Costco that every man waves over himself and goes beep beep BEEP BEEP BEEP

StumblyWumbly
Sep 12, 2007

Batmanticore!

PhazonLink posted:

arent the top animals in various rich people animal hobbies so inbred that there's a tiny movement to maybe stop being so inbred?

I don't know a ton about that problem, but the horse semen business is big money, so most folks, especially the ones who want to breed race winners, would try to avoid inbreeding. I can imagine that some idiot millionaire has said "Breed them with Horse X, I don't care if they're cousins", and it's probably not great that this is a legal thing to do.

I would think the problem is bigger on family farms, where they've had a closed system of 20 horses hanging out for generations. Also pets like the Scottish Fold cats, where its a small breed and a lot of the good pet owners spay them, so the breeding pool must be pretty small.

Barrel Cactaur
Oct 6, 2021

Freakazoid_ posted:

Thats like a pedantic anti opinion. You literally learn nothing about the position he actually holds.

E: :horse: Due to many previous rounds of :justpaste: racehorses are extremely fragile physically and genetically, with Victorian breeding standards and bad incentives still causing horses to have late Hapsburg levels of inbreeding. The live cover rule in theory makes sure that you cant use samples from the #1 racer in a year to be put in every mare.

Barrel Cactaur fucked around with this message at 01:52 on Dec 18, 2022

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

Tech Nightmares: Let me tell you about horse semen!

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Barrel Cactaur posted:

Thats like a pedantic anti opinion. You literally learn nothing about the position he actually holds.

It’s a hallmark of libertarians.

They say things like “government should be no larger than necessary”, which may sounds like sage advice to pubescent brains, but it’s a tautology. No one believes that government should be larger “than necessary”. Where opinions differ is on what size is necessary.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Barrel Cactaur posted:

E: :horse: Due to many previous rounds of :justpaste: racehorses are extremely fragile physically and genetically, with Victorian breeding standards and bad incentives still causing horses to have late Hapsburg levels of inbreeding. The live cover rule in theory makes sure that you cant use samples from the #1 racer in a year to be put in every mare.
Yeah, closed stud-books are an absolute disaster for horses, dogs, and cats. Victorian racism FTW! See: the major hissy fits that the dog registries threw about Dalmatians that were 1/16th non-Dalmatian. Why did the breeder do it? Because Dalmatians can't process uric acid and wind up with bladder stones.. "The new DCA [Dalmatian Club of America] board voiced their concerns in opposition of LUA Dalmatians, citing that the urinary stones created by the uric acid build-up were not a significant health concern and could be managed by a proper diet and proper hydration. "

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Racehorses are also bred for, well, racing at the expense of most everything else so they tend to be the epitome of 'thought of ants and died' skittish and fragile in all other circumstances. You don't see those problems with say, Clydesdale horses, the placid giants of the equine world. This is also why artificial insemination is so popular, given the risk of injury while trying to get a couple of horses that may not know each other to mate is considered way too high when they both are valued at millions of dollars.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

IIRC there are some breeds (Trahkener, maybe? Some warmblood )of horses that let you challenge your way in. "This horse looks like an X, moves like an X, and is healthy like an X." "Fine, we'll observe it for a couple of years, then it's an X." That's more like the way people breed working dogs: if it trees coons, it's a coon dog.

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

eXXon posted:

I assume he meant that Oculus hardware is vastly overspecced for rendering Wii-level metaverse graphics for with their countable polygons.

"In production" can often mean the branch of software that is live with end users/players, ie the actual product. From context it sounds like he is calling back to some specific instance where he found hugely unoptimised things that had shipped.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Arsenic Lupin posted:

IIRC there are some breeds (Trahkener, maybe? Some warmblood )of horses that let you challenge your way in. "This horse looks like an X, moves like an X, and is healthy like an X." "Fine, we'll observe it for a couple of years, then it's an X." That's more like the way people breed working dogs: if it trees coons, it's a coon dog.

Working dogs they can't afford to inbreed to the point of uselessness for the sake of looks and prestige, at least.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!
John Carmack's thing read like just about any Old Tech Manifesto I've seen in my corporate life and that 5% read like it was about organizational efficiency. That also fits in to every other Old Tech Manifesto I've had to read. Where things are different is I don't think Adrian wants to go back technologically to the way things were done in 1997.

Rocko Bonaparte fucked around with this message at 07:38 on Dec 18, 2022

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
Who's Adrian Carmack?

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

Jumping from game dev and VR to AGI is kinda funny tbh

He's by all accounts a top coder/engineer but like what's an applied guy going to bring to the table to build a general AI

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!
I hosed up my Carmacks. They both worked at Id Software. Not actually related. Adrian did art.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
I mean, AGI might be a stretch but AI has really been big in graphics in the past couple of years, at least for specific applications like upscaling and raytracing denoising.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

We've been getting a lot of improvements lately, mostly from using stolen data sets, but improvements nonetheless in learning AI technology. A general AI would need the ability to learn from diverse data sets, in fact a large portion of that AI would be in learning which data to use and which data is unusable. At first that kind of curation would be done by humans, but eventually the AI will have to learn how to do it themselves.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
Just to clarify, it's very likely that whatever ideas Keen have about AGI are a pipedream, but it makes sense a graphics person would veer into some kind of AI.

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

yeah i guess my skepticism comes down to specifically targetting AGI, which has become such a loaded term
all the recent advances in deep learning are still very much specific techniques for specific tasks

maybe carmack is going to be level-headed about what he's aiming for but let's see

CmdrRiker
Apr 8, 2016

You dismally untalented little creep!

Absurd Alhazred posted:

John Carmack left Meta. Here's his Facebook post:

and his thread of tweets on the subject:

(bolding mine)

Keen Technologies is his new startup.

Zuckerberg can't be happy.

A very responsibility avoidant email. "I see so much potential in this tech, but the reason why it has been failing under my watch is because no one can work together good enough under draconian leadership. Good luck, peace out."

StumblyWumbly
Sep 12, 2007

Batmanticore!
If his specialty and interest is in squeezing processing power out of GPUs, it seems like he'd try to produce more efficient platforms for running AI/NN/ML systems, not necessarily getting into the training and algorithm part.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:
I hope we get to the Emperor's new clothes phase of nft sales, where the lineup is just empty squares and the reason is you don't get to see them until they're purchased is "to prevent right-click theft".

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!

CmdrRiker posted:

A very responsibility avoidant email. "I see so much potential in this tech, but the reason why it has been failing under my watch is because no one can work together good enough under draconian leadership. Good luck, peace out."

I am probably projecting my own big corporate experiences onto it. I imagined there was this whole corporate hierarchy with a lot of transplanted people. In the big tree of managers and groups, they probably slapped him on to some upper manager as a barnacle and expected him to do meetings and email all day.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

I am probably projecting my own big corporate experiences onto it. I imagined there was this whole corporate hierarchy with a lot of transplanted people. In the big tree of managers and groups, they probably slapped him on to some upper manager as a barnacle and expected him to do meetings and email all day.

I would expect something like that and it seems he didn't realize that his actual job was "team mascot" not "doing stuff".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sagacity
May 2, 2003
Hopefully my epitaph will be funnier than my custom title.

Motronic posted:

I would expect something like that and it seems he didn't realize that his actual job was "team mascot" not "doing stuff".
Why are you presenting this as speculation on your part? His mail reads as the direct result of that realisation of his.