Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

skaianDestiny
Jan 13, 2017

beep boop

Cowcaster posted:

you know, like the armored vehicle that's really hard to defeat, because it can take so much punishment before it's out of commission? is that not what a tank is?

That's not the definition of a video game tank, no. Just taking a bunch of punishment does not mean you're a tank in a multiplayer video game, that specifically is in reference to having abilities or stats that allow you to absorb or mitigate damage for your allies. Ogryn doesn't really have that. Enemy damage output is heavy enough that even your big health pool and damage reductions kill you quick.

Ogryn with a shield is a tank. Ogryn with anything else is not.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

i think we're gonna have to agree to disagree on this one

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

Cowcaster, the way you're looking at it, the Zealot is almost always a better tank than the Ogryn with their invulnerability and huge amount of self healing they can gain on top of huge toughness damage reductions compared to the ogryn, and an F ability with two charges that regains half your toughness bar.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

S.J. posted:

Cowcaster, the way you're looking at it, the Zealot is almost always a better tank than the Ogryn with their invulnerability and huge amount of self healing they can gain on top of huge toughness damage reductions compared to the ogryn, and an F ability with two charges that regains half your toughness bar.

i was just trying to put the classes into broad strokes categories that were clearly demarcated from each other, zealot has way more stuff focused on putting out damage, including their weapon loadout. ogryn's got a lot of toughness related stuff, and their weapons focus more on knocking big crowds around and soaking up hits than actually killing things. if this were overwatch or anything like that, that'd make the former a damage guy, and the latter a tank. i'm not talking about pulling aggro or "dodge tanking" or invicibility frames or anything like that.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Cowcaster posted:

you know, like the armored vehicle that's really hard to defeat, because it can take so much punishment before it's out of commission? is that not what a tank is?

While I nominally am on your side here thanks to the Ogryn's HP pool, tanks mostly get disabled in one shot in real life. :v:

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

Orv posted:

While I nominally am on your side here thanks to the Ogryn's HP pool, tanks mostly get disabled in one shot in real life. :v:

hush you

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

i'm sorry orv that i lost my temper and told you to hush

S.J.
May 19, 2008

My HP pool serves one purpose: not automatically dying to gunfire in .2 seconds when I can't hide my entire fat rear end to the side in a doorway

Orv
May 4, 2011

Cowcaster posted:

i'm sorry orv that i lost my temper and told you to hush

I thought we were pals. :cry:

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

S.J. posted:

My HP pool serves one purpose: not automatically dying to gunfire in .2 seconds when I can't hide my entire fat rear end to the side in a doorway

well i'm told that ogryns require less toughness than veterans since they don't take as much ranged fire

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
If an Ogryn says "I'm gonna tank" then he better be using a fuckin shield because brother you are getting lit the gently caress up if you're up front

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Cowcaster posted:

well i'm told that ogryns require less toughness than veterans since they don't take as much ranged fire

Me, holding up a shield, immobile, taking no damage, unable to help, ugly crying

Orv
May 4, 2011

Cowcaster posted:

I am not an expert oregano but this seems unlike my experiences.

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

Orv posted:

I am not an expert oregano

it's a shame we just got a new thread title, because this would be another good one

S.J.
May 19, 2008

toasterwarrior posted:

If an Ogryn says "I'm gonna tank" then he better be using a fuckin shield because brother you are getting lit the gently caress up if you're up front

And even then the only way on higher difficulties you don't get slowly burned through is if you have a bunch of block efficiency if you want to actually be able to move

Enjoy
Apr 18, 2009
I think all classes can "tank" (in as much as they mitigate damage) by dodging, blocking and pushing

I think the main thing that separates their function is how strong they are at staggering and damaging enemies, both priority and groups, and in both melee and at range. But this depends on weapon types as well so we can't boil down classes to MMO classes. It's more like a leaning towards something, and you can lean harder by aligning your class with your weapon (like bolter emphasises Veteran's ability to kill priority at medium range, while it mitigates the Zealot being less capable at that)

That's why I think 'tide games are so engaging, they have a hidden complexity at higher difficulties where different class and weapon combinations will do better or worse depending on niches not being filled

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

i don't know why i'm even arguing that hard about this fine the zealot's the tank and the ogryn's the melee dps whatever

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

My steam library entry for this game still says "PRE-ORDER BETA" on the key art and I think it's refreshing to have such an honest developer

boredsatellite
Dec 7, 2013

Man my heretic runs have been having massive varying quality. Wonder if all the good people have moved onto the next difficulty.

Had that issue in VT2 where champion was harder than legend

TheNabster
Apr 26, 2014

"Today I will cause problems on purpose"
I've been going through to level these classes myself and I've finished Veteran and Psyker so far, and I'm interested in what classes the thread thinks are the best 'put together'. Not the best or the strongest but the ones that clearly set out with a design in mind and nailed it with how the class functions in it's feats and abilities.

I have already concluded that Veteran is the best on that score and Psyker is probably the worst though I have enjoyed both, but I haven't gone far enough into Ogryn and Zealot to see where they fall on the scale, thoughts?

TheNabster fucked around with this message at 07:16 on Dec 18, 2022

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Can't wait for them to release Squats for the 5th class slot

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

TheNabster posted:

I've been going through to level these classes myself and I've finished Veteran and Psyker so far, and I'm interested in what classes the thread thinks are the best 'put together'. Not the best or the strongest but the ones that clearly set out with a design in mind and nailed it with how the class functions in it's feats and abilities.

I have already concluded that Veteran is the best on that score and Psyker is probably the worst though I have enjoyed both, but I haven't gone far enough into Ogryn and Zealot to see where they fall on the scale, thoughts?

Its definitely the veteran.

The veterans goal is to be the ranged nuker and literally all of their talents work to that end and they get access to all the good poo poo to do that weapon wise.

All the other classes have some pitfall in how their talent trees are made that lessen their "put togetherness"

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

skaianDestiny posted:

That's not the definition of a video game tank, no. Just taking a bunch of punishment does not mean you're a tank in a multiplayer video game,
The way most people use the term, that absolutely does mean you're a tank in a multiplayer video game.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Jerkface posted:

The veterans goal is to be the ranged nuker and literally all of their talents work to that end and they get access to all the good poo poo to do that weapon wise.

All the other classes have some pitfall in how their talent trees are made that lessen their "put togetherness"

Yeah. The Zealot feels like quite literally two completely separate builds with half their options ripped out and then mashed together. The Veteran is definitely the only one that feels complete.

Grognan
Jan 23, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
finally got a force sword that blocks ranged too, a psyker can take a surprising amount of melee hits blocking. slug throwers seem to sap the shield the most.

so if I am looking at the skill synergy, a vet throwing a bleed spec 'nade basically just buffs the crap out of anyone specced for that, ogryn or zealot.

MuffinsAndPie
May 20, 2015

The vets job is to shoot and kill all of the shooters engaged in melee with the zealot, leaving them with no source of toughness and a barrage of shots heading towards them. Once the zealot goes down, the vets job is to then target all the shooters.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

MuffinsAndPie posted:

The vets job is to shoot and kill all of the shooters engaged in melee with the zealot, leaving them with no source of toughness and a barrage of shots heading towards them. Once the zealot goes down, the vets job is to then target all the shooters.

This is consistent with my experience

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

MuffinsAndPie posted:

What if the veteran took the feat that grants toughness to his teammates whose melee opponents the veteran has shot? Just kidding no one takes that one! haha !

One thing I think of all the classes is how they feel in early levels, and Vet feels the best by far. Your ult is really straight forward and you start with one of the best weapons. Zealot starts with autopistol & like an axe? Thats garbage. They should start with a chainsword tbh. Psyker is the second best level 1 character because brain burst is good until you get to higher difficulty, its all the other feats that suck. They should 100% start with a staff. I havent played ogryn yet so maybe the ogryns starter kit is good.

Jerkface fucked around with this message at 08:03 on Dec 18, 2022

Enjoy
Apr 18, 2009

Jerkface posted:

I think Zealot would work really well as a melee berserker if she didn't get stunned when her toughness runs out

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Jerkface posted:

What if the veteran took the feat that grants toughness to his teammates whose melee opponents the veteran has shot? Just kidding no one takes that one! haha !

One thing I think of all the classes is how good they feel in early levels, and Vet feels the best by far. Your ult is really straight forward and you start with one of the best weapons. Zealot starts with autopistol & like an axe? Thats garbage. They should start with a chainsword tbh. Psyker is the second best level 1 character because brain burst is good until you get to higher difficulty, its all the other feats that suck. They should 100% start with a staff. I havent played ogryn yet so maybe the ogryns starter kit is good.

Ogryn starter melee is fine, it's the club, but it doesn't feel amazing. You also have the stupid one shot shotgun which feels awful even tho it's actually not terrible at the beginning

TheNabster
Apr 26, 2014

"Today I will cause problems on purpose"

S.J. posted:

Ogryn starter melee is fine, it's the club, but it doesn't feel amazing. You also have the stupid one shot shotgun which feels awful even tho it's actually not terrible at the beginning

Yeah the numbers on the Ogryn Shotgun need to be buffed a whole lot.

If I am putting the whole crosshair over an enemy special with a massive shotgun and pulling the trigger and it's not dying in one hit, what's the point?

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

The only class that I haven't enjoyed is the Psyker. It just doesn't feel good. A lot of ink has been spilled on why, and it's all true, but I have one to add. With all of the other classes, if someone goes down I feel like I can get them back up. Grenades, charges, etc., but with the Psyker I just kind of go "uhhhhh can someone get them."

megane
Jun 20, 2008

Psyker should be able to help people up at a distance. You know, brain sorcery or whatever.

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

Internet Explorer posted:

The only class that I haven't enjoyed is the Psyker. It just doesn't feel good. A lot of ink has been spilled on why, and it's all true, but I have one to add. With all of the other classes, if someone goes down I feel like I can get them back up. Grenades, charges, etc., but with the Psyker I just kind of go "uhhhhh can someone get them."

The feat where you block with perils makes you the best class in the entire game for picking people up.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Cease to Hope posted:

The feat where you block with perils makes you the best class in the entire game for picking people up.

Yeah, but that's also the tier where you have to give up the full walk speed while quelling.

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

Internet Explorer posted:

Yeah, but that's also the tier where you have to give up the full walk speed while quelling.

It's very easy to live without.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Ive never used that quelling perk and never felt the need to, seems like a pretty weak choice. You can just back dodge if space from enemies is something you really need, it just takes timing.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine
There's more than a few feats that need to become default parts of their respective classes, the "Veteran gets a free grenade every minute" and "Ogryn box releases grenades when it hits an armored enemy" are two of these

megane
Jun 20, 2008

You can also turn sideways and mash dodge to the side while quelling (or reloading, for that matter) and you go basically as fast as walking.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Welp, guess I have to try that feat. Still sucks that you need to use a feat to be able to pick people up when all the other classes have no problems out of the gate.