Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Did you Japan?
Hai sempai
No
Unknown
Goku
View Results

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

hell yeah

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AHH F/UGH
May 25, 2002

I find the whole shrine thing weird. It's not some public government building, right? Like Tojo's a piece of poo poo but it's all imaginary mumbo jumbo poo poo anyways. He's fuckin' dead. Maybe I don't get it but yeah, like, the blowback Zhang Zhehan got for even standing near it was insane.

Also eating eggs from the convenience store owns and I can't knock anyone for wanting to eat like a 30 year old single salaryman who lives in a 1K in Chiyoda-ku. That's authentic as gently caress.

Wonton
Jul 5, 2012

Ham Equity posted:

Chiang Kai-shek and Sun Yat-sen were absolutely war criminals as well:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shanghai_massacre

Sun Yat-Sen, or his better known name, 孫中山, which is actually read as Sun Nakayama in Japanese (which not too many Chinese people know why) died on 1925, before the massacre and purge 1927.

His home town of 香山 heung-shan next to British 香港 heung-gong was renamed to 中山 ZhongShan after the liberation

The guy was always broke, relied on his brothers pharmacy in the former Portuguese colony of Macau to bankroll his numerous failed uprisings. He also fragmented the country into the warlord era because he empowered the wrong yuan shi kai. Also a lousy husband because he didn’t like his first main wife who is illiterate. Also a creepy guy for marrying some college girl 26 years younger than him.

Sun yat sen is not a saint but he’s no war criminal.
100 years is still a very short period in history and you can track and see the traces of the trauma from the civil war.

The first 2 paragraphs I used multiple frame of references- His Japanese background, Wade-Giles romanization of colonial Cantonese, Mandarin PinYin, written Chinese, and italicized the liberation instead of end of civil war/retreat.

Buddy I’m glad that you like history but you made too big of a loving jump and landed into the lava.

Mr. Fix It
Oct 26, 2000

💀ayyy💀

Wonton posted:

Sun Yat-Sen, or his better known name, 孫中山, which is actually read as Sun Nakayama in Japanese (which not too many Chinese people know why) died on 1925, before the massacre and purge 1927.

His home town of 香山 heung-shan next to British 香港 heung-gong was renamed to 中山 ZhongShan after the liberation

The guy was always broke, relied on his brothers pharmacy in the former Portuguese colony of Macau to bankroll his numerous failed uprisings. He also fragmented the country into the warlord era because he empowered the wrong yuan shi kai. Also a lousy husband because he didn’t like his first main wife who is illiterate. Also a creepy guy for marrying some college girl 26 years younger than him.

100 years is still a very short period in history and you can track and see the traces of the trauma from the civil war.

The first 2 paragraphs I used multiple frame of references- His Japanese background, Wade-Giles romanization of colonial Cantonese, Mandarin PinYin, written Chinese, and italicized the liberation instead of end of civil war/retreat.

Buddy I’m glad that you like history but you made too big of a loving jump and landed into the lava.

yah, sun yat-sen was fine. chiang kai-shek was def a monster, tho

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer

Wonton posted:

You are totally right, my bad. Dunno what I was thinking.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

AHH F/UGH posted:

I find the whole shrine thing weird. It's not some public government building, right? Like Tojo's a piece of poo poo but it's all imaginary mumbo jumbo poo poo anyways. He's fuckin' dead. Maybe I don't get it but yeah, like, the blowback Zhang Zhehan got for even standing near it was insane.

They’re not part of the government, no - but the history of Shinto in Japan is such that it was used as a state religion during the lead up to the war, and a galvanizing point then as well. See also the Nippon Kaigi that Abe was so involved with in contemporary times - a major block of the ruling parliamentary party supporting bringing state Shinto back, and are the ones who visit Yasukuni and piss off Japan’s neighbors by doing so. Note that the religion isn’t exactly putting themselves at arm’s length from these efforts.

It’s complicated. If you want to go laugh at a nationalist museum or enjoy the cherry blossoms there, fine, nobody’s going to revoke your passport nor your proverbial Gaijin Card. But there are plenty of other shrines without war criminals.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

Grimey Drawer
Railway museums - I see two of the biggies are in Saitama and Kyoto. I had plans to do several things in Saitama (including the storm drainage system tour), and the Saitama one is very convenient. One of my friends who is going with me is a big fan of infrastructure stuff; is it worth going to both museums? Is one better than the other?

I definitely want to go to at least one, we may end up splitting up for the second one (or we may all go to both, I like trains, too).

Also, will most of the major museums in Tokyo, Kyoto, and Osaka have things in English as well as Japanese? It occurs to me that I may have been spoiled by Taiwan.

I want to hit up some of the major sites, too (Imperial Palace, Himeji Castle), and I've just been assuming only speaking English won't be a problem; is that a bad assumption?

Ham Equity fucked around with this message at 10:31 on Dec 16, 2022

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

I haven’t been to the Kyoto rail museum, but the one in Saitama I actually remember being mostly in Japanese. That may or may not impact your enjoyment of seeing the wares on hand up close and personal.

Most of the others (including the Edo-Tokyo Museum in Ryogoku, which I’d recommend too) are pretty bilingual. Anything with heavy tourist focus will be fine.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

Grimey Drawer

harperdc posted:

I haven’t been to the Kyoto rail museum, but the one in Saitama I actually remember being mostly in Japanese. That may or may not impact your enjoyment of seeing the wares on hand up close and personal.

Most of the others (including the Edo-Tokyo Museum in Ryogoku, which I’d recommend too) are pretty bilingual. Anything with heavy tourist focus will be fine.

I was looking at the Edo-Tokyo Museum, but they are closed through 2025 (they have some alternate exhibitions, I was gonna check those out as the travel date gets closer).

Other museums potentially on my list:

Museum of Maritime Science
Tokyo National Museum
Omiya Bonsai Art Museum in Saitama
Nara National Museum
Saitama Prefectural Museum
Ghibli Museum (this looks like it might be too much of a pain in the rear end)
Suntory Yamazaki Museum (okay, this is is more about the tastings)
Postal Museum (near the Skytower)

If anyone knows in particular if any of these are awesome/suck, I'm happy to listen to advice.

I'm also looking at checking out Japanese theater (Noh, Kabuki, and/or Bunraku); it looks like my best bet is to check the sites for the national theaters as the date gets closer for shows that have English subtitles. Is there a better way to go about it?

Virtue
Jan 7, 2009

Yamasaki one is pretty small and they limit your tastings to 3 but it might be the easiest way to taste the rare stuff. Gift shop selection kinda sucks too so you won’t be stocking up on stuff to take home. There’s a tour you can do but I haven’t done it myself.

Mr. Fix It
Oct 26, 2000

💀ayyy💀

bonsai museum is alright, sorta nothing else nearby tho

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

Ham Equity posted:

Railway museums - I see two of the biggies are in Saitama and Kyoto.

The JR museum in Nagoya rules.

Busy Bee
Jul 13, 2004

Ham Equity posted:

Railway museums - I see two of the biggies are in Saitama and Kyoto. I had plans to do several things in Saitama (including the storm drainage system tour), and the Saitama one is very convenient. One of my friends who is going with me is a big fan of infrastructure stuff; is it worth going to both museums? Is one better than the other?

I definitely want to go to at least one, we may end up splitting up for the second one (or we may all go to both, I like trains, too).

Also, will most of the major museums in Tokyo, Kyoto, and Osaka have things in English as well as Japanese? It occurs to me that I may have been spoiled by Taiwan.

I want to hit up some of the major sites, too (Imperial Palace, Himeji Castle), and I've just been assuming only speaking English won't be a problem; is that a bad assumption?

Never heard of the museum in Kyoto but I would say besides the one in Saitama, the next biggest one is in Nagoya - SCMaglev and Railway Park. The Kyoto Railway park seems to have some pretty outdated rolling stock there compared to the newer shinkansen models for example at the other museums.

If you are really into trains, I would also recommend going to Yamanashi Maglev museum outside of Tokyo where you can actually see testing of the new Maglev train.

It's worth it to go to both the train museum in Saitama + the drainage system tour. Just make sure you look at the opening dates for both as I remember I booked tickets for the drainage tour without realizing that the train museum is closed on Monday's or something so I had to go back to Saitama twice.

Besides that, the Studio Ghibli Museum is not that much of a pain in the rear end to get tickets for as the hype has extended over to the Ghibli Park. To get access to the Ghibili Museum tickets, you can either get a VPN as otherwise you won't be able to book tickets on the Lawson L Tike website, or figure it out when you land. Tickets are released a month prior on the 10th of every month - so tickets for March will be released on February 10th. I can see online that there are still many tickets available for January.

For the Studio Ghibili Park, this is the new one they just opened in Nagoya and will sell out very quickly. I managed to get some tickets without using a VPN but I chose the pickup at Lawson option because I have someone in Japan who could grab the physical tickets there. I believe for March 2023 tickets, they released it on December 10th and it is already sold out.

Wonton
Jul 5, 2012

Phone posted:

The JR museum in Nagoya rules.

I gotta go. Thanks!

Re: saitama- it’s fun but I would have prefer getting the longer 2 types of tour in 1 day. I was lucky to have forums user peanut next to me and do interpreting. We managed to talk to some random old man volunteering and stayed longer.

Transportation wise it’s a schlep and we rented a 1 day car for 3 of us (around 5500 yen??)

Wonton fucked around with this message at 14:42 on Dec 16, 2022

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

Just piping in to say that if you're an aquarium/aquascaping nerd and are familiar with Takashi Amano, Sumida Aquarium in Skytree is worth a visit.

AHH F/UGH
May 25, 2002

harperdc posted:

But there are plenty of other shrines without war criminals.

This is the part I just don't get I guess. Maybe I'm just a clueless, godless bozo or something but there are no war criminals there, they're fuckin dead and gone. I guess I see it as pointless, fruitless and neutered. I probably get more revolted by a Catholic church than some hocus pocus Shinto shrine. Maybe I'm too much of a dialectical materialist to think of it more than just landscaping and architecture.

edit: I won't derail any more (I think this is a derail?) but I just had another thought. Mother Theresa was a piece of poo poo as well and absolutely tortured people and almost certainly killed them before their time, if they could have been given proper medical care. Her reverence by political leaders and/or canonization by the Vatican means about as much to me as enshrinement of Tojo and others at Yasukuni. It wouldn't stop me from going to the Vatican, nor would it stop me from going to Yasukuni. I think that's fairly analogous. Anyways, that's just how I feel about it.

AHH F/UGH fucked around with this message at 04:54 on Dec 17, 2022

Wonton
Jul 5, 2012

harperdc posted:

The thing is, not every country sneaks certified war criminals, including the war-time prime minister Hideki Tojo as ‘deities’ at their one-eyed memorials to the degree there was domestic outcry.

Japan’s emperors haven’t visited since the 1978 nighttime raid to enshrine the war criminals (this is not a stretch of explaining what happened), and it pisses off China and South Korea every time Japanese politicians visit to pay their honors.

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

I was born and raised in China, lived in Japan, and now hold a US passport.

I am wrong in every way, all the damn time.

Ask me about my tattoos.

AHH F/UGH posted:

This is the part I just don't get I guess. Maybe I'm just a clueless, godless bozo or something but there are no war criminals there, they're fuckin dead and gone. I guess I see it as pointless, fruitless and neutered. I probably get more revolted by a Catholic church than some hocus pocus Shinto shrine. Maybe I'm too much of a dialectical materialist to think of it more than just landscaping and architecture.

edit: I won't derail any more (I think this is a derail?) but I just had another thought. Mother Theresa was a piece of poo poo as well and absolutely tortured people and almost certainly killed them before their time, if they could have been given proper medical care. Her reverence by political leaders and/or canonization by the Vatican means about as much to me as enshrinement of Tojo and others at Yasukuni. It wouldn't stop me from going to the Vatican, nor would it stop me from going to Yasukuni. I think that's fairly analogous. Anyways, that's just how I feel about it.

Just because people are dead does not mean they didn't leave or have an impact.

When you raise up (not from the dead..) people who did terrible things, you basically indicate approval of their deeds, unless there are steps taken to put them in a more fair light, to highlight their evil deeds as well as their supposed good.

The problem with the Yasukuni shrine is that it does all of the former raising up but without any of the necessary acknowledgement, education, or context. So what you end up with are people who see those people as heroes, interpret their actions as good, and now you have a portion of the population who are normalized to evil.

This isn't, for me at least, a personal vendetta against the Class A criminals enshrined there. You're right; they are dead and dusted. It doesn't matter for them, personally. But it is much more about what they represent and how Japan (or at least a certain segment of Japan) views its own past. To go to a cliché, those who do not learn from history are doomed to repeat it. I don't necessarily think Japan will slide back into imperialism and attempt domination of Asia again, but it also isn't meant to be literal. Yasukuni, here, represents the opposite of "learn from history" and this is why I feel like it's so problematic.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

ok

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

totalnewbie posted:

This isn't, for me at least, a personal vendetta against the Class A criminals enshrined there. You're right; they are dead and dusted. It doesn't matter for them, personally. But it is much more about what they represent and how Japan (or at least a certain segment of Japan) views its own past.

Yup, it’s this. It’s what it means and how powerful people act to try and memorialize them that matters.

roomtone
Jul 1, 2021

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 10 days!)

I'm just looking at flights at various months next year from the UK -> Japan. I found some travel blog which says they found flights from the UK for £450 return, this was in October. I can't find prices anywhere near that, and it does sound too cheap to be true, but I was wondering if there are any tricks I don't know about. What I'm finding on skyscanner and some other 'cheap' flight websites is basically: £750ish if you're willing to make the trip 30+ hours with stopover, or £1100ish if you want a direct 11 hour flight from London.

Is it possible to do significantly better than this?

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

roomtone posted:

I'm just looking at flights at various months next year from the UK -> Japan. I found some travel blog which says they found flights from the UK for £450 return, this was in October. I can't find prices anywhere near that, and it does sound too cheap to be true, but I was wondering if there are any tricks I don't know about. What I'm finding on skyscanner and some other 'cheap' flight websites is basically: £750ish if you're willing to make the trip 30+ hours with stopover, or £1100ish if you want a direct 11 hour flight from London.

Maybe?

Prices are probably going to go up a bit. My recommendation is to follow these steps:

1 - identify the exact flights you want to take
2 - watch the flight for a week or so to see how the price fluctuates. this means checking multiple times a day.
3 - set an alert at google flights for when the price drops
4 - be ready to buy at any time

Also, you should book between 3 months and 6 weeks out. Any earlier and the airlines have no reason to drop prices. Any later and you are gambling on a bunch of factors.

I went at the end of October. I didn't know for sure I was going until about 2 weeks out. I started watching the flights and the one(s) I wanted were hovering in the 1400 range. But I ended up getting it for $1000. A good deal at the time.

The Chinese airlines tend to be cheaper. Anything with stopovers is cheaper. It really depends on what you want and what you are willing to put up with. For a long flight like the one you will be taking, it is almost always better to do non-stop. With time change and the length of flight, you don't want to add 3 or 4 or more hours to the start of your trip.

Busy Bee
Jul 13, 2004

roomtone posted:

I started tracking flights for next year a few weeks ago and it hasn't really gone down since. Also, seems like flights start to get expensive in March.

If you're flying from London, I think the non stop option you have is with JAL which is one of my favorite airlines and definitely an airline I would pay a high premium for to fly with, especially if it's non stop. A 350 GBP extra to fly non stop + flying with JAL I would take in an instant. Especially if you can fly with the 787 which has a 2 - 4 - 2 seat configuration in coach.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

Grimey Drawer
Bros and I are spending the day planning our trip. We're talking about some stuff, so this is gonna bounce around a lot:

We were thinking about doing Odawara Castle, and Mount Hakone/Lake Ashi; can those been done in one day, combined? Worth it? How hardcore is the hiking around Hakone?

Are there any stand-out arcades? My understanding is that they're all over the place, are there any particular awesome ones? We are planning a day in Akhibara, all else being equal, we may just check out a bunch there.

Is there a good sake tasting place in Tokyo that will teach you like what to look for in sake, identifying good sakes, what should be drank warm/cold, etc.?

If we're not going up the mountain, is it worth going to the Fuji Five Lakes area?

Zettace
Nov 30, 2009

Waltzing Along posted:

Also, you should book between 3 months and 6 weeks out. Any earlier and the airlines have no reason to drop prices. Any later and you are gambling on a bunch of factors.
Not really sure if this is true in the current environment. I've been tracking prices for May but I've also been looking at prices in other months and the prices in March have been noticeably increasing day by day. I'm only looking at direct flights with ANA or JAL though so that might skew that.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

Grimey Drawer
One of my friends is big on animals, so I think on our last day in Tokyo we're going to the Moff Animal World, over by Chiba/Funabashi. Is there anything else out that way worth checking out?

DiscoJ
Jun 23, 2003

Ham Equity posted:

Are there any stand-out arcades? My understanding is that they're all over the place, are there any particular awesome ones? We are planning a day in Akhibara, all else being equal, we may just check out a bunch there.

Depends on your taste. Most of the modern Taito Stations, Round One and GIGO (formerly SEGA) are fairly similar in terms of what they contain (basically crane games, photo booths, music games, online arcade games, some fighting games (mainly NESICA I'd say) and maybe some racing games (probably just Wangan or Initial D).

For me, the 'interesting' ones for me these days are just:
Taito Station Ikebukuro West (X-STATION) - Standard set of titles + a floor dedicated to VR games.
Game Park/Mikado - Ikebukuro & Takadanobaba - Some modern games but mostly focused on retro titles.
Hirose Entertainment Yard (HEY) Akihabara - Has the standard set of titles but also has a ton of retro titles (mainly fighting games, beat-em-ups, shooters, puzzle games).
GiGo Akihabara 1 - Standard set of titles, but has one floor dedicated to retro games.

Ham Equity posted:

If we're not going up the mountain, is it worth going to the Fuji Five Lakes area?

Yes, that area is more for just looking at Fuji and doing a million other things whilst it looms over you. I'd daresay relatively few people combine it with actually climbing the mountain.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Ham Equity posted:

We were thinking about doing Odawara Castle, and Mount Hakone/Lake Ashi; can those been done in one day, combined? Worth it? How hardcore is the hiking around Hakone?

Odawara Castle is kind of there. If you’re seeing a more famous one (like Himeji) in your trip then it’ll be underwhelming - I’m pretty sure it’s a rebuilt one. Plus, the rest of what’s around Hakone/Ashinoko is more interesting (ride the pirate ship) and plenty for a day trip.

There are a couple smaller or non-chain arcades/game centers that are worth it to millennial Western nerds, because most of the chain ones here are full of purikura booths, crane games and have like a rhythm game or two. Mikado in Takadanobaba is one I need to go visit myself again soon, it’s been too drat long. There’s also a decent one near Yokohama Station but I haven’t been by it in a while.

Akihabara is fun to see and cool for buying something in person, but places like Super Potato definitely have high prices. Trader 2’s retro second floor is a favorite of mine. I think there’s one or two decent smaller arcades as well.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

Grimey Drawer
So, we've got 8 days in Tokyo, 4 days in Osaka, 4 days in Kyoto, and an overnight in Nara; is it worth making the trip to Himeji from Osaka? Two of us have never been to Japan, the third lived for about six months in Tokyo and did some tourist stuff around, but never made it out to Himeji (he did get out to Odawara, though).

Wonton
Jul 5, 2012
Go to Himeji, it will only take you half a day. And you can use the Kansai through pass or whatever JR west mini pass. Totally worth it, I kind of regret not seeing himeji earlier in my life.

You never know, the castle may burn down one day like Okinawa

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

super potato is a free videogame museum where they put price tags on the exhibits for some reason

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

Grimey Drawer
I'm going to listen to the thread and take the day trip to Himeji. Because of our schedule, we're going to be taking Shinkansens from Tokyo-Kyoto, Osaka-Himeji, Himeji-Osaka, and Osaka-Tokyo within the same 14-day period, which seems to make the 14-day JR rail pass economical (we don't have a car and will be taking trains/buses everywhere). Does the first-class upgrade on the rail pass do anything for the local trains? Is it a big upgrade for the bullet trains?

If we're doing Himeji, is it also worth doing Hikone? We're in Kyoto for four days.

field balm
Feb 5, 2012

Thinking about doing a night at Takaragawa Onsen Ousenkaku, seems like they're tattoo friendly and mixed gender hot springs, which was our criteria. Any better recommendations or is this a decent choice? We will be down at fukuoka so could do a night at beppu or something instead if anyone can recommend a similar place. Not really worried about the accommo, just a cool bath my partner and I can do together.

Wonton
Jul 5, 2012

Ham Equity posted:

I'm going to listen to the thread and take the day trip to Himeji. Because of our schedule, we're going to be taking Shinkansens from Tokyo-Kyoto, Osaka-Himeji, Himeji-Osaka, and Osaka-Tokyo within the same 14-day period, which seems to make the 14-day JR rail pass economical (we don't have a car and will be taking trains/buses everywhere). Does the first-class upgrade on the rail pass do anything for the local trains? Is it a big upgrade for the bullet trains?

If we're doing Himeji, is it also worth doing Hikone? We're in Kyoto for four days.

Green car: only available for long distance or special commuter lines, you get extra amenities and space. I think If you make multiple 3 hour plus journeys then the luxury is worth it.

Did you book your flight yet?

Do a open jaw land Tokyo, leave Osaka, and you can reduce half the cost to a 7 day train pass.

Land in Tokyo, get rid of jet lag, do your local stuff, don’t activate your train pass yet. Start the pass when you leave Tokyo. You can go a lot further west instead of going back to Kanto/Tokyo and waste a complete day.

Heck your flight departing Japan is in the morning, you can use the train pass and check in at a cheap airport hotel for your last night. That way you can go somewhere even further than Osaka, you can and should stop by takamatsu and the art islands :)

Wonton fucked around with this message at 04:13 on Dec 19, 2022

Wonton
Jul 5, 2012

field balm posted:

Thinking about doing a night at Takaragawa Onsen Ousenkaku, seems like they're tattoo friendly and mixed gender hot springs, which was our criteria. Any better recommendations or is this a decent choice? We will be down at fukuoka so could do a night at beppu or something instead if anyone can recommend a similar place. Not really worried about the accommo, just a cool bath my partner and I can do together.

Beppu is notoriously not train pass friendly, yeah the pass gets you there but lots of bus transfers than usual rural areas. Highly recommend renting a car for a day or 2 in longer excursions

Another option for mixed bathing is to stay in a ryokan with private bath in the room or time slot.

field balm
Feb 5, 2012

Wonton posted:

Beppu is notoriously not train pass friendly, yeah the pass gets you there but lots of bus transfers than usual rural areas. Highly recommend renting a car for a day or 2 in longer excursions

Another option for mixed bathing is to stay in a ryokan with private bath in the room or time slot.

Good to know about Beppu. The place I mentioned is near Tokyo, and they have a large outdoor spring - the private bath isn't particularly appealing, but I'll have a look into that anyway! Thanks for the response

zmcnulty
Jul 26, 2003

Ham Equity posted:

Is there a good sake tasting place in Tokyo that will teach you like what to look for in sake, identifying good sakes, what should be drank warm/cold, etc.?

The trade association has a place in Shimbashi specifically for this purpose. Basically everything is offered at-cost too.
https://japansake.or.jp/sake/en/jss/information-center/

field balm posted:

Thinking about doing a night at Takaragawa Onsen Ousenkaku, seems like they're tattoo friendly and mixed gender hot springs, which was our criteria. Any better recommendations or is this a decent choice?

Takaragawa is awesome, don't hesitate to go.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

Phone posted:

bmobile esim was ez pz

2970円 for 7gb/21 days

I’m gonna eat crow on this one: the bmobile eSIM experience was kinda trash on an iPhone 11 Pro on iOS 15.7.

I don’t know if there’s been a degradation service on bMobile or if the eSIM implementation sucks on iPhones. I didn’t bother to try to swap out to a physical sim, probably should have, but it was consistently not great. iMessage was also freaking out for no reason, too. Absolutely needs suiting for hitting up maps, but lol if you wanted to load an image.

I had good experience in the past with a nexus 5 and iPhone 6S with physical SIM cards, but there’s something up with eSIMs and dual sim stuff.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
Anyways, 5 week trip report: it was good. Would Japan again.

5/5 stars

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wonton
Jul 5, 2012
Last Friday: land in Seoul late night, had some kiyochon delivered

Saturday: Osan AFB for OG super goon goon meet, took a train to busan, met another internet weirdo for dinner
Sunday: ferry to Fukuoka cancelled :( had to schedule a last minute plane.

Fukuoka international terminal sucks balls

Monday: got my JR train pass, had to wait 25 minutes during the morning to exchange my voucher for the pass. Went to Nagasaki in the afternoon and stopped in Saga for dinner , dinner was really good.

Tuesday: woke up really early to walk around Fukuoka city center, express morning train to tsuwano in shimane departs at 8;53 in shin-yamaguchi. However kodama trains from Fukuoka to shin-Yamaguchi departs at every 15 minutes of an hour and takes an hour. Instead of taking an even earlier train, I just hopped on the nozomi non reserved for 2 stops. Departed 8:15 nozomi, arrived 8:45

Walked around tsuwano and the inari jinja for a few hours until 2pm to izumo. It’s off season so most restaurants were closed but it’s quite picturesque, saw the silly carp swimming in the drains.

Wednesday morning: went to the beach in izumo and walked around izumo taisha. It’s actually really nice and I want to come back during festival season. I wanted to go to the Adachi museum of art but opted to go straight to tottori and give myself more time. Sand dunes or sand dune was neat to see in the winter.

Made my way to yunogo onsen by 5pm. Wow this place is amazing, thanks Japan goon who used to live in Okayama.

I hate the words kept secret or hidden gem but this place is for 95% Japanese tourists so they won’t be easily impressed. Really good food, so good that I want to come again and bring my family here. The ryokan also provides pickup and drop off from Okayama station. Which is nice. Dinner was insanely good and extra portions of crab only 4,000 yen. Which is waaaaaaaay cheaper than the 1,500 yen for 3 small slices of beef. I’m going to write another post about this place.

Thursday morning: normally ryokan breakfast takes like 10 minutes but here we spent half an hour just eating and trying the different dishes.

I’m on shuttle bus to Okayama station, will visit Okayama castle, korakuen garden and Kurishiki old town.

I will probably finish at 3is and take the 1 hour express train to takamatsu and meet the hime of ehime (a really nice person)