Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

Skwirl posted:

Okay I genuinely don't understand what the difference between a clip and a magazine is. Aside from one being a short piece of video from a longer video and the other being a bound collection of glossy paper featuring celebrity gossib.

why would you do this

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SyNack Sassimov
May 4, 2006

Let the robot win.
            --Captain James T. Vader

Mister Speaker posted:

Not even sure if this was a tweet or a tumblr post or something, but I'm trying to find a post made a few years ago by someone decrying free speech absolutism, specifically in academia. The one part that stood out to me was something like "in academic circles we don't stop to entertain some guy standing up to ask if black people are really people, because it's disingenuous by nature and we'd never get anything done."

Does this sound familiar to anyone?

Are you ....talking about the orangutan? Because WE DON'T....TALK....ABOUT THE ORANGUTAN.

(I don't remember the full story either but I remember it being amusing)

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
https://twitter.com/elliott_downing/status/1603878256025161729?s=20&t=sz7i0NaN-V9_8XujgrLEnQ

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

Hang on, let's hear em out...

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
:stare:

https://twitter.com/icy_pete/status/1599591026892902401?s=20&t=F4EukWr8cObv7kukjj_0gA

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.
https://twitter.com/samrudykoff/status/1603870585871818769

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Mister Speaker posted:

also Jell-O shots.

Every jello shot I've had was served with toothpick to scrape around the inside of the cup to get it loose first and make it easier to tongue the rest out

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

HenryJLittlefinger posted:

Every jello shot I've had was served with toothpick to scrape around the inside of the cup to get it loose first and make it easier to tongue the rest out

what kind of bougie rear end poo poo is this?

loosen that poo poo with your tongue

Frank Frank
Jun 13, 2001

Mirrored

RFC2324 posted:

what kind of bougie rear end poo poo is this?

loosen that poo poo with your tongue

Sorority party nonsense for sure

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
The worst is when they're served in those plastic shot glasses (they always are) that crack to pieces when you're trying to get the Jell-O out. I've cut my tongue wide open on those things, more than once.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

oh, I'm used to ones in plastic cups that are flimsy enough to collapse when you suck properly, which aids in extraction.

Large Testicles
Jun 1, 2020

[ASK] ME ABOUT MY LOVE FOR 1'S

RFC2324 posted:

oh, I'm used to ones in plastic cups that are flimsy enough to collapse when you suck properly, which aids in extraction.

yeah, you get the shot glass solo cups, just squeeze the fuckers and it pops right out. helps if you do the mixture right, too much gelatin and not enough booze makes them stick to the sides.

Nebrilos
Oct 9, 2012

Plot hole: Sam was the one suggesting the green eggs and ham in the book. Not the one being suggested the green eggs and ham.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

RFC2324 posted:

flimsy enough to collapse when you suck properly, which aids in extraction.

I shared that story with you in confidence.

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR

Large Testicles posted:

yeah, you get the shot glass solo cups, just squeeze the fuckers and it pops right out. helps if you do the mixture right, too much gelatin and not enough booze makes them stick to the sides.

Yeah that Solo Cup stuff is malleable, but for some reason for many years people were serving Jell-O shots in these obscene brittle plastic shot glasses that would break in just the right way to slice deeply into my dextrous and strong tongue.

I know real cunnilingus isnt like this at all, at least from what I remember. Are vaginas armoured now?

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007
Ooo! Look at me! NO DON'T LOOK AT ME!

Why are Americans like this. Why can't you just drink the alcohol like a normal teenager, why do you have to make it into candy. Why are you so fat

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

ThisIsJohnWayne posted:

Why are Americans like this. Why can't you just drink the alcohol like a normal teenager, why do you have to make it into candy. Why are you so fat

Legacy of prohibition.

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007
Ooo! Look at me! NO DON'T LOOK AT ME!

America please, I beg you. You like alcohol. You like drugs. You like good food. You like tobacco. You enjoy all the good of life, I know you do, I've seen you do it. Like normal people do.
Why do you have to put sugar in everything?? It's uncivilised

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters
Booze taste bad, sugar drink taste good

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

ThisIsJohnWayne posted:

America please, I beg you. You like alcohol. You like drugs. You like good food. You like tobacco. You enjoy all the good of life, I know you do, I've seen you do it. Like normal people do.

*points at loaf of whole wheat bread* "HIGH FRUCTOSE CORN SYRUP"

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

More like "Bulges Adventure"

:pusheen:

Large Testicles
Jun 1, 2020

[ASK] ME ABOUT MY LOVE FOR 1'S

ThisIsJohnWayne posted:

wasn't it Ireland that said Subway wasn't allowed to call it's bread "bread" because of how much sugar it contained?

yeah, us Americans imported it there, SUCK IT WORLD

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

Cheugy

Snatched

According to this man

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

ThisIsJohnWayne posted:

Hey Swede, don’t you have some guests to feed?

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

So your plan is for half of us to die?

Hot Rope Guy

Bogus Adventure posted:

According to this man

Imagine being in high school and seeing this rubbery dipshit lumbering towards you, waving a "kid-friendly" constitution and telling you how grown up you look.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

Platystemon posted:

Hey Swede, don’t you have some guests to feed?

I have guests but I'm not gonna feed them. What am I, an Italian?

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

Pilchenstein posted:

Imagine being in high school and seeing this rubbery dipshit lumbering towards you, waving a "kid-friendly" constitution and telling you how grown up you look.

He looks like he's sporting Uncle Jack's hands

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
https://twitter.com/mondomascots/status/1604396056472522752?s=20&t=acyLgaYgXye1ZVN1un8byA

Normy
Jul 1, 2004

Do I Krushchev?

ThisIsJohnWayne posted:

When I was in Germany a popular shot was a package of powdered Kool-Aid followed by vodka

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

Large Testicles posted:

wasn't it Ireland that said Subway wasn't allowed to call it's bread "bread" because of how much sugar it contained?

yeah, us Americans imported it there, SUCK IT WORLD

I haven't heard this particular story, but I was once told that McDonald's in Denmark uses a different recipe for its buns because the US ones would be legally classified as a bundt cake, rather than as bread.

I tried McDonald's in the US once, and I can believe it.

Atticus_1354
Dec 10, 2006

barkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbark

ThisIsJohnWayne posted:

Ah yes. The European nations that are famous for never drinking sweet alcoholic beverages.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
I mean the whole not bread thing was a stupid tax dispute not actually anything meaningful

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

CharlestheHammer posted:

I mean the whole not bread thing was a stupid tax dispute not actually anything meaningful
I thought the dispute over it being bread was it having sawdust in it or some poo poo.

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

It was a tax dispute where Subway says they should be classified as staple food which attracts less tax but it invited scrutiny into the ingredients of its bread instead

quote:

Subway bread is not bread, Irish court rules

Judge finds that sugar content of US chain’s sandwiches exceeds stipulated limit and they should thus be classified as confectionery

Thu 1 Oct 2020 17.33 BST
Those wrestling with the great culinary-philosophical dilemmas of our time – are jaffa cakes actually cakes or just up-themselves biscuits, is putting chorizo in paella really an act of gastronomic terrorism, and what kind of monster doesn’t love Marmite? – can give thanks to the Irish supreme court. Earlier this week, it brought clarity to an important, if less bitterly contested, debate.

In a judgment published on Tuesday, the court ruled that the bread served at Subway, the US chain that hawks giant sandwiches in 110 countries and territories, could not in fact be defined as bread because of its high sugar content.

The ruling followed an appeal by Bookfinders Ltd, Subway’s Irish franchisee. The company had argued that the bread used in Subway sandwiches counted as a staple food and was consequently exempt from VAT.

However, as the court pointed out, Ireland’s Value-Added Tax Act of 1972 draws a distinction between staple foods – bread, tea, coffee, cocoa, milk and “preparations or extracts of meat or eggs” – and “more discretionary indulgences” such as ice-cream, chocolate, pastries, crisps, popcorn and roasted nuts.

The clincher was the act’s strict provision that the amount of sugar in bread “shall not exceed 2% of the weight of flour included in the dough”.

Subway’s bread, however, contains five times as much sugar. Or, as the supreme court put it: “In this case, there is no dispute that the bread supplied by Subway in its heated sandwiches has a sugar content of 10% of the weight of the flour included in the dough.”

The appeal arose from a claim by Bookfinder Ltd that there were owed a refund from January/February 2004 to November/December 2005, when they paid VAT at a composite rate of 9.2%. They argued that they should instead have been subjected to 0% VAT. But Mr Justice O’Donnell was not persuaded and the appeal was dismissed.

“The argument depends on the acceptance of the prior contention that the Subway heated sandwich contains ‘bread’ as defined, and therefore can be said to be food for the purposes of the second schedule rather than confectionery,” he ruled. “Since that argument has been rejected, this subsidiary argument must fail.”

In a statement sent to the Guardian a spokesperson for Subway said: “Subway’s bread is, of course, bread.”

The ruling is not the first slice of controversy for the brand. In 2014, Subway decided to start removing the flour whitening agent azodicarbonamide from its baked goods after a petition circulated online. The ingredient is commonly used in the manufacture of yoga mats and carpet underlay and has been banned by the European Union and Australia from use in food products.

The classification of certain food has long exercised the minds of retailers, lawyers and philosophers. In 1991, a VAT tribunal famously turned its attention to the vexed question of jaffa cakes, the sweet snacks that hover on what it termed “the borderline between cakes and biscuits”.

After noting, among other things, that the name was “a minor consideration”, the tribunal eventually accepted United Biscuits arguments’ and ruled that jaffa cakes had “enough characteristics of cakes to be accepted as such”, and they were therefore zero-rated.

There can also sometimes be a thin but important line between food and aphrodisiacs. In February this year, a top adviser at the EU’s highest court argued that a Dutch sex shop could not apply foodstuff VAT rates to the libido-stimulating pills it sold.

“These are consumed, not to provide the body with nutrients, but rather to stimulate sex drive, and thus, while they may affect certain bodily functions, they do not have a nutritional purpose,” wrote advocate general Maciej Szpunar.

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

Nah, it was a VAT thing - staple foods have a lower rate than "indulgent" foods, so to count as a food staple under Irish law, "the amount of sugar in bread “shall not exceed 2% of the weight of flour included in the dough”."

Subway's apparently has 5 times that.

bort
Mar 13, 2003

Giant sandwiches? I guess I am American.

Ohh it must be the metric system. They serve 5 euro meter longs over there?

Mr. Fix It
Oct 26, 2000

💀ayyy💀

Atticus_1354 posted:

Ah yes. The European nations that are famous for never drinking sweet alcoholic beverages.

jager was a digestif until someone in marketing (probably american) tricked everyone into doing shots of it.

TyrsHTML
May 13, 2004

We put sugar in everything because it's way cheaper to do that than to use better ingredients. We live in a capitalist hell scape we cannot escape and cannot change because the system is wildly against us. We get it European everything is soooo much better. Shut the gently caress up

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
Europe had that to, what they officially classify it as has no real effect on the day to day

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)
European supremacy posting is getting old. Post tweets.