Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Ive also had good luck just knocking everyone down with a big psyker shout, gives you enough time for a pickup.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

Sharkopath posted:

Ive also had good luck just knocking everyone down with a big psyker shout, gives you enough time for a pickup.

Voidstrike is also really good for clearing out most of a pack. I've never really felt like I was bad at picking people up on psyker, but that feat really puts them over the top.

Orv
May 4, 2011
Someone dug into the files and apparently the quell walk perk does not stack with the staff bonus soooooo.

Drakes
Jul 18, 2007

Why my bullets no hit?

megane posted:

You can also turn sideways and mash dodge to the side while quelling (or reloading, for that matter) and you go basically as fast as walking.

Yeah I do this using the combat knife on zealot. Basically advancing forward by dodging in a V pattern.

Sab Sabbington
Sep 18, 2016

In my restless dreams I see that town...

Flagstaff, Arizona
I know it's not reasonable to expect this from pubbies but please, for the love of gently caress, if I'm in melee range with a poxburster do not shoot it. I am going to push it and take no damage. Shooting it is just doing its job for it while wasting ammo and guaranteeing I take damage.

I am so done with the functionality of the Zealot's dash even though there are very few moments as satisfying as rushing a Reaper with an evis and cutting it in half. There is no consistency whatsoever in terms of what it locks on to or what terrain is going to cut it short. It tilts me more than anything else in the game, frankly, and literally nothing else feels as bad as dashing at a tight group of gunners, stopping halfway, and getting lit the gently caress up.

Just have it highlight what you're locked onto like Sienna's flaming skull. Make it uninterruptable, it would not make Zealot too strong.

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe

Sab Sabbington posted:

I know it's not reasonable to expect this from pubbies but please, for the love of gently caress, if I'm in melee range with a poxburster do not shoot it. I am going to push it and take no damage. Shooting it is just doing its job for it while wasting ammo and guaranteeing I take damage.

I am so done with the functionality of the Zealot's dash even though there are very few moments as satisfying as rushing a Reaper with an evis and cutting it in half. There is no consistency whatsoever in terms of what it locks on to or what terrain is going to cut it short. It tilts me more than anything else in the game, frankly, and literally nothing else feels as bad as dashing at a tight group of gunners, stopping halfway, and getting lit the gently caress up.

Just have it highlight what you're locked onto like Sienna's flaming skull. Make it uninterruptable, it would not make Zealot too strong.

There's an invisible reticle that is used to target an enemy to dash towards, and it's , like, 3x longer if it's targeting an enemy. It absolutely sucks, and I just treat my skill like a toughness refill (which is the best part of the skill).

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe
Been playing ogryn, and the grenades are fun, but you get far too few of them, and I really can't justify taking them from my teammates

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

Shouty said the nurgle that she with ain't poo poo

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

ninjoatse.cx posted:

Been playing ogryn, and the grenades are fun, but you get far too few of them, and I really can't justify taking them from my teammates

they're very strong on higher difficulties. "gently caress that elite in particular" is a good button to have available

Vargs
Mar 27, 2010

Sab Sabbington posted:

It does highlight what you're locked onto if you hold the button, although the effect is a bit subtle.

.Z.
Jan 12, 2008

ninjoatse.cx posted:

I'd just take it. You are really only competing against the Zealot and other Ogryns for grenades. A Zealot not having stun grenades is offset by your ult doing a similar thing vs. you not having a nade that can delete an elite. Psykers don't use grenades and Veterans almost always take the grenade regen talent.

Mendrian
Jan 6, 2013

How hypothetically high can I get my toughness with curios on Zealot? I'm trying an experiment to get it as high as possible to get the most out of the +5% toughness while near enemies trait. I'm already getting back a pretty impressive amount and overall I'd say it's one of the better traits if you don't get hit as much, though the 75% toughness damage reduction trait might win out overall just because it's so much simpler to use for most use cases.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

ninjoatse.cx posted:

This is why I get annoyed at vets who don't take the 8% chance to get grenades on elite kill perk.

Oh higher difficulties, unless you're absolutely unlucky, it'll end up giving the whole party more names than one every 60 seconds will. Plus it means I don't have to take nades off the floor, win win.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

ninjoatse.cx posted:

Box destroys bosses harder than anything that isn't a thunder hammer

Mendrian
Jan 6, 2013

ninjoatse.cx posted:

I mean I can't speak for everybody but honestly take them. As the zealot I pretty much only pick up grenades when my team ignores them. Grenades are everywhere and mine are the least useful, since dead enemies are much more controlled than stunned enemies.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine
Really wish they hadn't implemented the Demonhost as a Witch type enemy, it adds nothing positive to the game and indeed it's existence just makes the game worse whenever it shows up

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

I only ever use the zealot dash as a toughness restore, it kinda rules for that, especially with the 2x charges talent.

drrockso20 posted:

Really wish they hadn't implemented the Demonhost as a Witch type enemy, it adds nothing positive to the game and indeed it's existence just makes the game worse whenever it shows up

They were really fun right after they were added and people thought you had to fight them, but yeah, now that everyone knows what's up they're just a one-person deathtrap, you either avoid them or run away from the person who didn't.

dogstile posted:

This is why I get annoyed at vets who don't take the 8% chance to get grenades on elite kill perk.

Oh higher difficulties, unless you're absolutely unlucky, it'll end up giving the whole party more names than one every 60 seconds will. Plus it means I don't have to take nades off the floor, win win.

Unfortunately taking that perk means you don't get to share your wallhacks with your team :(

I don't find grenades useful enough to ever even switch to them except for when I need to clear enemies off a sanctus redactus boss so :shrug: Hordes in general are completely non-threatening and while grenades are nice for knocking crushers/bulwarks down, just shooting them with a big gun is always better.

Especially on my ogryn where my options are: (1) Pull out the box, line it up, throw it, or (2) just shoot it and it dies and I can move on to killing other stuff.

deep dish peat moss fucked around with this message at 10:35 on Dec 18, 2022

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)

TheNabster posted:

I've been going through to level these classes myself and I've finished Veteran and Psyker so far, and I'm interested in what classes the thread thinks are the best 'put together'. Not the best or the strongest but the ones that clearly set out with a design in mind and nailed it with how the class functions in it's feats and abilities.

I have already concluded that Veteran is the best on that score and Psyker is probably the worst though I have enjoyed both, but I haven't gone far enough into Ogryn and Zealot to see where they fall on the scale, thoughts?

Zealot has a dagger crit build, that's all they have going for them on higher difficulties. I'd say the flamethrower is fun as well, but the Psyker gets a flamethrower too so it's not particularly unique to the zealot. I think they wanted Zealots to have the best melee since they get a bunch of unique melee weapons but I think both Veteran and Ogryn beat them in that regard... and definitely at range too.

In conclusion, Zealot has a nice aesthetic to them but in practice they fall apart at higher difficulties - except for a very specific, un-zealot-like build

Ogryn and Veterans are the best and most well thought out classes imo

Zzulu fucked around with this message at 10:48 on Dec 18, 2022

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Now, in the quantum moment before the closure, when all become one. One moment left. One point of space and time.

I know who you are. You are destiny.

RBA Starblade posted:

Around when should I be attempting difficulty 3? My damage output on crowds just falls off a cliff as Zealot, though my boltgun holds up fine

In case this got drowned out by the vet/zet debate I'm currently skipping past: started at 3 around 12 I think playing with my friend, didn't feel truly confident playing 3 with pubbies until 18-20 (not because of my own skill level but because I might have to make up for someone's deficiencies).

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

I know it's not meta but the zealot thunder hammer really isn't that bad on heresy. It deals 1k damage to crushers and will 2-shot them. Flamethrower stunlock melts everything else.

Enjoy
Apr 18, 2009
Got to 30 with all four classes! The squad:

Shellcoat, who remembers the old Mordian proverb that when a man with a .45 meets a man with a rifle, the man with a pistol is a dead man

Ophelia the punk rock chick

Iris the creepy lady

Bardin, the shortest Ogryn. Some say he has Squat blood. Bardin says he hasn't but he'd like to try it, he's very hungry.

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

anyone who doesn't model their ogryn after Bardin should be arrested for heresy

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
Been trying to get that Ogryn 70-man knockdown penance tonight using diff 5 missions, didn't have luck with me. Funnily enough, one dropped me into a legit game (Drayko, even) and we made it all the way to the finish for my first diff 5 win. That said, I'd legit love to see Ogryn gameplay at that level that doesn't use shield because jfc you practically spend the entire game without toughness from all the shooters, and god help you if you don't have a good Veteran counterfiring. Being mobile cover deffo saved that run but I'll be damned if I can make Power Maul and others work on diff 5.

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
Shooters are so god drat annoying. Wish the game had more dangerous melee stuff instead of annoying shooters

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
I'm pretty sure we got a new map right? Haven't seen it in rotation yet except at level 1

Gon' be a while before I get to play it at a difficulty level I want I guess.

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Now, in the quantum moment before the closure, when all become one. One moment left. One point of space and time.

Played the new map. Nothing special, but it's fun.

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Listen buddy, we all got problems!
I actually really really like the new map. Large open areas with lots of cover, it's one of the more distinct maps in the game.

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

i've not seen an eviscerator in the store for like 2 weeks. not seen the new map yet and only seen the lights out event once since release.

boredsatellite
Dec 7, 2013

I love and hate lights out. I find it fun but it also turns half of my team into terrified morons

I hate high intensity though. Makes matchmaking a chore if you are trying to do quickplay

uncalled for!
Dec 26, 2006

I did a complete 180 on lights out missions when I realized they scared pubs into sticking together

boredsatellite
Dec 7, 2013

the issue is that they progress so slowly that you encounter far more hordes than you usually.

It is pretty darn funny seeing a panicky veteran spin around with his flashlight when a mutant is roaring though I admit

Fishstick
Jul 9, 2005

Does not require preheating

uncalled for! posted:

I did a complete 180 on lights out missions when I realized they scared pubs into sticking together

But you have 4x more chance of a pubbie hitting a Daemonhost, so it balances out.

Edit: Also is it me or doees it seem like the extra dogs mutator is implemented weird? It seems to just spawn doubles of dogs whenever dogs would normally spawn, not like, a cavalcade of constant dogs.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine
Will say that the new modifier that increases the spawn rate of hounds is pretty awful, though I do think it's not as bad as one that increased the rate of trappers or mutants would be

Grimwall
Dec 11, 2006

Product of Schizophrenia

toasterwarrior posted:

Been trying to get that Ogryn 70-man knockdown penance tonight using diff 5 missions, didn't have luck with me. Funnily enough, one dropped me into a legit game (Drayko, even) and we made it all the way to the finish for my first diff 5 win. That said, I'd legit love to see Ogryn gameplay at that level that doesn't use shield because jfc you practically spend the entire game without toughness from all the shooters, and god help you if you don't have a good Veteran counterfiring. Being mobile cover deffo saved that run but I'll be damned if I can make Power Maul and others work on diff 5.

I also started with shield, but got bored with the lackluster damage. Now I just cleave hordes in half with a knife, even in damnation. Best crowd control is death.

Unfortunately if there are shooters around, you cannot be out in the open, either you charge and regen your toughness in melee quickly, or use your ranged weapon until all shooters are gone. A single shooters 3 round burst from mid range deletes your toughness!

Also stack up health and dmg resistance to gunners.

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

Fishstick posted:

But you have 4x more chance of a pubbie hitting a Daemonhost, so it balances out.

Edit: Also is it me or doees it seem like the extra dogs mutator is implemented weird? It seems to just spawn doubles of dogs whenever dogs would normally spawn, not like, a cavalcade of constant dogs.

Also I may be imagining it, but it feels like the chance for mutants to spawn is also increased with this modifier.

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

When I turned the lathe of heaven and posted about an "all fog all dog" mode in here a while ago this isn't what I asked for

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Lost a doggie pubbie game because a bulwark, a mauler, a burster, two dogs and a bomber cut our tendons five minutes in and the rest of the run was just a slow, dog filled decline until defeat. Probably the most rancid run I've attempted. Felt like I'd accidentally hit Heresy or something.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

I haven't found dog mode so difficult, a few tense moments when they show up at the worst time but honestly i think the dogs are less troublesome than say mutants, since they just kinda knock people down and slowly leech purple, instead of throwing you around everywhere. Bit easier to shut down even if youre solo too, seems like anything that can stun or interrupt will cancel the pounce.

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

Reactor: Online
Sensors: Online
Weapons: Online

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL
Jumped into a Malice run with a friend last night, not a minute into the mission I drop off a bridge right behind a bulwark and a crusher; crusher immediately turns around and kicks me and a bot off the bridge, friend drops down with the other bot, dog jumps the bot and the AoE pushback punts my friend off the bridge too.

All of this took place within like 5 seconds lmao. Couldn't do anything except laugh, loading into the mission and back to the mourningstar was longer than the time we spent playing.

/edit: My main problem with Dog Mode is that it seems the dogs are just... already in the level? Instead of spawning in, so you don't get the 'dog in the field' sound cue; you're just fighting a mob and suddenly you get a dog jumping your face with no previous warning.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Ive still always heard the sound cue, myself. I think it really is just spawning two dogs everytime it nornally would spawn one. Simple modifier.