Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

secretly best girl posted:

drat. It was probably the one thing I could think of as being a hard worse Christmas film because uhhhhhhh it's... it's weirder than you'd think. It's actually not as Christian as you think given the argument in it is "why aren't you spending more, dummy"

Wait, is that the one where he occasionally stops and is just talking at the viewer? He's made like two or three Christmas movies, I don't know which one is which.

Is it "You've gotta see it to believe it" bad? Because I could get behind that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DoombatINC
Apr 20, 2003

Here's the thing, I'm a feminist.

If you're looking for some christmas pain, check out Christmas Do-Over (2006) starring Jay Mohr. I've mentioned it here before but it's been a few years - it's basically a festive ripoff of Groundhog Day, but the main throughline is a Doubtfire-esque "ex-husband attempts to win back ex-wife from new boyfriend" and the new boyfriend is an earthbound saint that's ten times the husband and father that Jay Mohr could ever hope to be. Watching this perfect specimen of human generosity and kindness get ground into dust by a chronomancing sociopath is completely unreal, and he doesn't even approach learning a lesson or bettering himself at all. Completely repulsive and upsetting to watch from beginning to end, 10/10 will recommend again.

edit: it is available in its entirety on Youtube because of course it is

DoombatINC fucked around with this message at 21:46 on Dec 15, 2022

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING

thrawn527 posted:

Wait, is that the one where he occasionally stops and is just talking at the viewer? He's made like two or three Christmas movies, I don't know which one is which.

Is it "You've gotta see it to believe it" bad? Because I could get behind that.

Yes, that's the one. The problem is I don't know if I can in good conscience recommend watching it because it's cuckoo-bananas but also very dull for long stretches? Because it's lectures in a car like he was making an angry youtube rant about a vaccine?

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

Speaking of Kirk Cameron, I just found out A Little Piece of Heaven exists. I have a new movie to call in for listener request month.

quote:

Will Loomis (Kirk Cameron) lives with his mentally-handicapped sister Violet, who wants a younger child to play with, so Will kidnaps one (and then another) child from the local children's home and tells them they're dead and have gone to heaven.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

weekly font posted:

Yeah and I think that adds to the whole idea that Avatar is a fine movie that inexplicably punched far above its weight class. It’s wild how much no one cares about the highest grossing film ever. There’s not even a small but loud overly aggressive online fan base like for literally everything else.

A large part of why it's one of the all time top grossing films is because everyone say it in 3D. So normal blockbuster audience numbers X exorbitant luxury ticket prices = the illusion of deep and lasting popularity.

secretly best girl posted:

drat. It was probably the one thing I could think of as being a hard worse Christmas film because uhhhhhhh it's... it's weirder than you'd think. It's actually not as Christian as you think given the argument in it is "why aren't you spending more, dummy"

Kirk Cameron gaslighting his brother-in-law into accepting that Jesus is the only son of the Invisible Hand of the Free Market was way more entertaining than what I remember of Christmas With the Kranks.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

Gyges posted:

A large part of why it's one of the all time top grossing films is because everyone say it in 3D. So normal blockbuster audience numbers X exorbitant luxury ticket prices = the illusion of deep and lasting popularity.

Kirk Cameron gaslighting his brother-in-law into accepting that Jesus is the only son of the Invisible Hand of the Free Market was way more entertaining than what I remember of Christmas With the Kranks.

I love Saving Christmas, though you shouldn't pay money to see it because gently caress the people that made it.

From Saint Nicholas murdering a man in a brutal bar fight to Kirk rambling about how the presents represent the skyline of a New Jerusalem, it's an experience

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

The Vosgian Beast posted:

I love Saving Christmas, though you shouldn't pay money to see it because gently caress the people that made it.

From Saint Nicholas murdering a man in a brutal bar fight to Kirk rambling about how the presents represent the skyline of a New Jerusalem, it's an experience

Alright I'm watching that.

Arson Daily
Aug 11, 2003

duz posted:

Speaking of Kirk Cameron, I just found out A Little Piece of Heaven exists. I have a new movie to call in for listener request month.

:yikeseroo:

clown shoes
Jul 17, 2004

Nothing but clowns down here.

duz posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0pedb-4wY_0

Hockles
Dec 25, 2007

Resident of Camp Blood
Crystal Lake

I had never wanted to see Christmas with the Kranks, but I sat through it because WHM is doing an episode on it.

In hindsight, I wish they weren't.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

thrawn527 posted:

That Kirk Cameron thing? I've never seen it. I don't count what he does as movies. They're recruitment videos.

Oh, it was a movie all right. Go watch a Youtube recap of it if you wanna spare yourself the pain of the whole thing.

edit

I stumbled upon the Blame it on Outer Space podcast they do and didn't think it was all that great but they did a Slenderman episode and mention SA a bit

https://archive.org/details/blameitonouterspace07/Blame+It+On+Outer+Space-03.mp3

episode 43

BiggerBoat fucked around with this message at 14:05 on Dec 16, 2022

Captain Hotbutt
Aug 18, 2014
For the Melr0210 folks, their new character(?) Jimlan had me laughing my rear end off on the train yesterday.

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

~OKAY, WE'LL DRINK TO OUR LEGS!~

True Lies/Avatar: back to back episodes with lengthy asides complaining about the MCU (which is pretty lol if you're complimenting Avatar). Yeah, there's plenty of criticisms to be made, yeah most of their criticisms are legit, but can we please stop loving whining about in what feels like every other episode.

BiggerBoat posted:

Oh, it was a movie all right. Go watch a Youtube recap of it if you wanna spare yourself the pain of the whole thing.

edit

I stumbled upon the Blame it on Outer Space podcast they do and didn't think it was all that great but they did a Slenderman episode and mention SA a bit

https://archive.org/details/blameitonouterspace07/Blame+It+On+Outer+Space-03.mp3

episode 43

Szyska used to actually pop up on the forums, using an account named for Blame It On Outer Space

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

God awful movies is doing it next week, and it should be amazing

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Everytime I try to fly I fall
Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

Rev. Bleech_ posted:

True Lies/Avatar: back to back episodes with lengthy asides complaining about the MCU (which is pretty lol if you're complimenting Avatar). Yeah, there's plenty of criticisms to be made, yeah most of their criticisms are legit, but can we please stop loving whining about in what feels like every other episode.

They hate movies, op

Arson Daily
Aug 11, 2003

bobkatt013 posted:

God awful movies is doing it next week, and it should be amazing

Oh boy never heard of this before, can't wait!

clown shoes
Jul 17, 2004

Nothing but clowns down here.

Rev. Bleech_ posted:

I'm sick of them deciding what to discus on their podcast.

Big Bidness
Aug 2, 2004

If they don’t stop complaining about the lovely movies dummies love I might have to cancel my Patreon sub!

We Hate Movies and Action Boyz are the best because a bunch of their own listeners get mad at how much they hate Marvel movies and they still won’t stop trashing them.

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

:jerkbag: I'm selling tickets to a dead horse beating show next week, how many can I put you guys down for

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012

Rev. Bleech_ posted:

:jerkbag: I'm selling tickets to a dead horse beating show next week, how many can I put you guys down for

A dead horse beating show? Better go tell noted Zoo-expert Chris Cabin

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

teen witch posted:

A dead horse beating show? Better go tell noted Zoo-expert Chris Cabin

beating the horse, not beating it off. Sorry Cabin

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

Rev. Bleech_ posted:

:qq:

It’s ok to not listen to a podcast

Prop Wash
Jun 12, 2010

Rev. Bleech_ posted:

One for me, if the alternative is watching an MCU movie

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005
They are not allowed to discuss the only new movies being made any more.

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

goons truly are morons with no reading comprehension.

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING
Dig up, stupid

Big Dick Cheney
Mar 30, 2007
They should complain about the MCU more :evilbuddy:

DoubleCakes
Jan 14, 2015

They really shouldn't. It's the same complaints each time.

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

They said something about the ten year rule the other week and it was the first time i think I’ve noticed it in a while. Kinda surprised me they even bother with it anymore.

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

DoubleCakes posted:

They really shouldn't. It's the same complaints each time.

Sort of like the people mad about it in this thread.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Hockles posted:

I had never wanted to see Christmas with the Kranks, but I sat through it because WHM is doing an episode on it.

In hindsight, I wish they weren't.

I believe Christmas with the Kranks is based on a book called "Skipping Christmas" or some poo poo like that. My parents decided to listen to it as a book on tape one year when we went on our Christmas vacation in the early 00's.

I should also point out that my parents love Christmas with the Kranks, so I've been forced to sit through two adaptations of the same material.

Tato
Jun 19, 2001

DIRECTIVE 236: Promote pro-social values
Discussing the MCU seems pertinent when talking about big blockbuster action movies that ruled, as compared to the big action movies now which completely suck.

Also, my tummy is quite dry Michael.

enigmahfc
Oct 10, 2003

EFF TEE DUB!!
EFF TEE DUB!!

Rev. Bleech_ posted:

goons truly are morons with no reading comprehension.

for what its worth, i agree with you, i just do not say anything about it here because people will be snarky jackasses and not like that you have a small criticism of a podcast.

the discussion of "X is destroying CINEMA!" has been going for decades, long before Marvel was the target (and they made movies people actually watch), but some people have a hard on for hating them because.........

I am not saying Marvel movies are all good; some suck, some rule, a lot are fine, but hearing people complain about them at this point is tiresome as gently caress.

But WHM is pretty funny! I like it!

Tato posted:

Discussing the MCU seems pertinent when talking about big blockbuster action movies that ruled, as compared to the big action movies now which completely suck.

I agree with this notion, and also think that "blockbusters now suck" is just a generational (ie: getting old) thing. There are people who said blockbusters in the early 2000's sucked. There are people who said blockbusters in the early 90's sucked. There are people who said blockbusters in the early 80's sucked. There are people who just hate thing 'now' and love things from when they were younger because things from when they were younger 'was better'.

but also, this is just the 'beating the dead horse show' still.

enigmahfc fucked around with this message at 21:39 on Dec 19, 2022

enigmahfc
Oct 10, 2003

EFF TEE DUB!!
EFF TEE DUB!!

Invalid Validation posted:

They said something about the ten year rule the other week and it was the first time i think I’ve noticed it in a while. Kinda surprised me they even bother with it anymore.

I think they still go by it pretty well except for their 'special' months. They have just been putting stuff out long enough now that we have to stop and go, ".....oh wait, that was 10 years ago..."

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

enigmahfc posted:

for what its worth, i agree with you, i just do not say anything about it here because people will be snarky jackasses and not like that you have a small criticism of a podcast.

the discussion of "X is destroying CINEMA!" has been going for decades, long before Marvel was the target (and they made movies people actually watch), but some people have a hard on for hating them because.........

I am not saying Marvel movies are all good; some suck, some rule, a lot are fine, but hearing people complain about them at this point is tiresome as gently caress.

But WHM is pretty funny! I like it!

I agree with this notion, and also think that "blockbusters now suck" is just a generational (ie: getting old) thing. There are people who said blockbusters in the early 2000's sucked. There are people who said blockbusters in the early 90's sucked. There are people who said blockbusters in the early 80's sucked. There are people who just hate thing 'now' and love things from when they were younger because things from when they were younger 'was better'.

but also, this is just the 'beating the dead horse show' still.

One other thing to keep in mind is that, love them or hate them, Marvel movies are probably one of the few things keeping theaters alive. Grain of salt and all, but I've seen quite a few tweets from people who claim to work at theaters saying that the only things keeping them in business are movies like Marvel movies. They show smaller movies, so you can see them too, but they're open because of the MCU because those are the movies people see.

Capitalism sucks, but it's what we live under.

Captain Hotbutt
Aug 18, 2014
https://twitter.com/ericszyszka/status/1605273585592967206

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

Christmas With the Kranks episode lived up to the hype I had built up for it in my head. Great stuff.

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

I think the boys would like Violent Night. It’s way better than it has any right to be and really bringing back that b-movie genre flicks back in a good way.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

dorium posted:

I think the boys would like Violent Night. It’s way better than it has any right to be and really bringing back that b-movie genre flicks back in a good way.

Based on comments in the Kranks episode, I’m not sure that’s true. At least one of them (I forget which one) hates the idea of edgy, violent Christmas movies. I think it was Cabin?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005
I've been listening to the podcast for years and my brain makes no attempt to sort out which of them made any given comment.