Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Atopian
Sep 23, 2014

I need a security perimeter with Venetian blinds.
The key thing is high fever.
If you have high fever in a Chinese city at this particular time, it's gonna be covid.

This results in undercount, as not everyone with covid gets fever, but it provides some basic numbers.

Also, testing is still available, it just costs money now (~10-20¥, ~$6-12 by exchange rate, but more like $12-24 in income-cost terms), and locations have gone from "everywhere" to "barely sufficient", while testing motivation has gone from "mandatory" to "if you want to I guess".

So getting a test now takes an hour instead of ~15min, and is a personal choice. Welp.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

yaffle
Sep 15, 2002

Flapdoodle

Atopian posted:

The key thing is high fever.
If you have high fever in a Chinese city at this particular time, it's gonna be covid.

This results in undercount, as not everyone with covid gets fever, but it provides some basic numbers.

Also, testing is still available, it just costs money now (~10-20¥, ~$6-12 by exchange rate, but more like $12-24 in income-cost terms), and locations have gone from "everywhere" to "barely sufficient", while testing motivation has gone from "mandatory" to "if you want to I guess".

So getting a test now takes an hour instead of ~15min, and is a personal choice. Welp.

Plus everyone was fed up with all the testing anyway.

Atopian
Sep 23, 2014

yaffle posted:

Plus everyone was fed up with all the testing anyway.

I mean I'm in a queue that stretches about 500m right now

yaffle
Sep 15, 2002

Flapdoodle

Atopian posted:

I mean I'm in a queue that stretches about 500m right now

If you weren't positive when you joined it you probably will be by the time you get swabbed...

Atopian
Sep 23, 2014

yaffle posted:

If you weren't positive when you joined it you probably will be by the time you get swabbed...

I currently look like an extra from a postapocalyptic drama, so I will hopefully be safe. Maybe.
And happily it's outdoors for when the swabbing happens.

maxwellhill
Jan 5, 2022
If they're doing the actual swabbing of everyone in the same spot, then the air downwind of there is absolutely swarming with the exhaled virus clouds of thousands of symptomatic positives who lined up to test and removed their masks right there to swab. If the air is particularly still today, watch the gently caress out, because everyone else who tests will breathe it in too.

Atopian
Sep 23, 2014

Nah, crazy windy, bright sunshine, swabbing place is an isolated 2x2m kiosk on a large plaza. I picked it with care.

maxwellhill
Jan 5, 2022
Ah, good.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all
Just landed in Good China for the first time in almost four years. Good to finally be back.

Zakrello
Feb 17, 2015

missile imbound
One of my friend has an office in Beijing, out of 40 staffs based there 38 caught covid. just sayin

Imperialist Dog
Oct 21, 2008

"I think you could better spend your time on finishing your editing before the deadline today."
\
:backtowork:

Atlas Hugged posted:

Just landed in Good China for the first time in almost four years. Good to finally be back.

About to leave Formerly British China for the first time in nearly as long.

Lanky Coconut Tree
Apr 7, 2011

An angry tree.

The angriest tree
Are foreigners allowed back into mainland China yet? Or is the strict quarantines still in place for foreigners.

Ups_rail
Dec 8, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
saw a facebook post by my taiwanese friend saying cost of food is going up.

Darkest Auer
Dec 30, 2006

They're silly

Ramrod XTreme

Atopian posted:

Nah, crazy windy, bright sunshine, swabbing place is an isolated 2x2m kiosk on a large plaza. I picked it with care.

But why? What benefit do you get from the test?

Guy Axlerod
Dec 29, 2008
My in-laws are all sick, suspected covid. They can't find any paxlovid. Sis is a pharmacist and called her phizer rep even. It was readily available before restrictions were lifted. She found some made in China version and was researching it before giving it to her parents.

Thankfully we talked them into getting some vaccine, even if it was some poo poo sinovax. I hope it's better than nothing.

Atopian
Sep 23, 2014

Darkest Auer posted:

But why? What benefit do you get from the test?

Oh, context:
I suspect that I was tagged by a student who lied about their exposure status to avoid quarantine shortly before all the restrictions vanished, and I have a mild sore throat that could be standard winter illness, or could be a brush with covid.
Given my living situation, I am not inclined to leave that question unanswered, so, test time.

PITY BONER
Oct 18, 2021
People don't use rapid tests at home in China? Why is everyone waiting in line instead of doing the anal throat and nose swabbing at home?

maxwellhill
Jan 5, 2022

PITY BONER posted:

People don't use rapid tests at home in China? Why is everyone waiting in line instead of doing the anal throat and nose swabbing at home?

Rapid tests don't work until late into the course of the illness, past the first moments of being contagious to others, due to how they work. PCR is about a day ahead of that schedule per latest findings, and as a bonus they don't give wrong answers half the time on the currently existing strains because rapid tests were never once updated.

yaffle
Sep 15, 2002

Flapdoodle
Rapid tests are really hard to find right now as well

yugioh mishima
Oct 22, 2020

Atlas Hugged posted:

welcome back. it’s fuckin cold for some reason. been weird seeing obvious tourists walking around again

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all
Pingtung was cold until I found my in-laws booze and that wasn't very hard considering they live in a grocery store.

I do miss legal weed though.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

yugioh mishima posted:

welcome back. it’s fuckin cold for some reason. been weird seeing obvious tourists walking around again

I will now leak mod forum secrets

several mods (as in, more than 1) made fun of me there for saying that it is cold in Taiwan and I feel cold at 10C.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

me irl

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer
I'm in Taipei to spend Christmas/new year/Chinese new year with friends and family and every day I get the "are you sure you're not cold?" Interrogation. For me it's mild Autumn weather.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all
I mean I'm coming from Bangkok so it's been a bit of a system shock.

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer
Oh definitely, it's just that I find it amusing how no one here seems to believe that I'm perfectly comfortable with the temperature.

yugioh mishima
Oct 22, 2020

Atlas Hugged posted:

Pingtung was cold until I found my in-laws booze and that wasn't very hard considering they live in a grocery store.

I do miss legal weed though.

if taiwan had legal weed that would be it, i would be living here forever

GoutPatrol posted:

several mods (as in, more than 1) made fun of me there for saying that it is cold in Taiwan and I feel cold at 10C.

i don’t like 10C anywhere in the world but the humidity here is hosed

also a few weeks back i climbed 玉山 which is cold by anyone’s standards

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

GoutPatrol posted:

Making fun of you is the correct thing to do

It's not Asia in winter if you aren't being asked "aren't you cold?" 30000 times by everyone you encounter all day every day for months on end because you're not wearing four coats while it's 12 C outside.

Nice Van My Man
Jan 1, 2008

It can kind of suck because sometimes apartments just aren't built for any kind of heating whatsoever. I remember my place had AC but no way to heat and sometimes it was uncomfortable :( . Yes I cheaped out on apartments and could have bought a space heater, but that's not the point!

Darkest Auer
Dec 30, 2006

They're silly

Ramrod XTreme
And then when the government decrees that heating should be on, you have to keep the windows open because otherwise it's like 60 degrees Celsius inside

Darkest Auer
Dec 30, 2006

They're silly

Ramrod XTreme
Wealth beyond measure, outlander

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Zakrello posted:

One of my friend has an office in Beijing, out of 40 staffs based there 38 caught covid. just sayin

Yeah one busines partner i talked to said 80% of their employees were out sock with covid.

Atopian
Sep 23, 2014

Fun thing about schools right now is the following:

1: "It's not our fault if you catch covid st school."

2: "Fear of getting covid is not a valid reason to miss work."

3: "If you're infected, known-positive, but the symptoms don't keep you in bed, get the gently caress to work."

I don't know how they imagine this is going to work long-term, in terms of all their teachers getting disabled, but I guess I could say the same about schools in the west these past years.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Grand Fromage posted:

Making fun of you is the correct thing to do

It's not Asia in winter if you aren't being asked "aren't you cold?" 30000 times by everyone you encounter all day every day for months on end because you're not wearing four coats while it's 12 C outside.

yeah, but I AM COLD

I don't have a space heater, I'm on my old drafty apartment, and everything is cold as hell

ili
Jul 26, 2003

GoutPatrol posted:

Those mods are weirdos, 10°C is nasty weather basically unfit for human habitation.

Beefeater1980
Sep 12, 2008

My God, it's full of Horatios!

Hong Kong: the temp hits 18C and my colleagues start dressing like it’s loving Siberia.

Scam Likely
Feb 19, 2021

Has HK really opened up? They seem primed for a really bad Covid surge at precisely..... now.

BrainDance
May 8, 2007

Disco all night long!

We're just staying online only for probably the rest of the semester, seems to be the case for all the other schools in the city too.

And even though everything else is opened up people are, I guess, choosing not to. It's just dead out there, no one going out and most of the stores and stuff are closed.

PITY BONER
Oct 18, 2021

maxwellhill posted:

Rapid tests don't work until late into the course of the illness, past the first moments of being contagious to others, due to how they work. PCR is about a day ahead of that schedule per latest findings, and as a bonus they don't give wrong answers half the time on the currently existing strains because rapid tests were never once updated.
I figured it was this, though it must be a PITA now that nearly all of the nearby testing centers have closed down. It's very on-brand for the pandemic that rapid tests require waiting until X day of symptoms with omicron and doing a nose and throat swab just to see a faint line to make sure someone got it.

Atopian posted:

I don't know how they imagine this is going to work long-term, in terms of all their teachers getting disabled, but I guess I could say the same about schools in the west these past years.
If the rest of the world is an example, schools will be hemorrhaging teachers, and kids will be stuck with professional babysitters that aren't even qualified for substitute roles (not just dancing laowai, lol). I've seen and heard that that quite a few Chinese believe that if they just get covid over with then it's just a one-and-done kind of thing and they'll be immune, without knowing that minor immunity goes away pretty quickly and does little to fight the next variant that blows though. People are going to be getting sick multiple times per year, especially if they're working in classrooms, offices, and close quarters with others.

At the middle school near my house (here in the US), the teachers were bringing in neighbors, relatives, and even their own kids (whose own schools were closed) to help in the classrooms because they had to combine classes after teachers were out, dead, or quit. When schools in good areas promise parents there will only be 20 kids per room but then it suddenly becomes 50+, you know the schools lower on the totem pole are mega screwed. I remember reading a story on Reddit posted by a high school in NYC during the initial omicron explosion. The administrators didn't have enough teachers available, so they just stuck all the kids into the gym and kept them there until it was time to go home. Kids all got sick from each other that way, too. Schools all over the country are suffering from some form of disfunction, and, like the health industry, covid is causing staffing issues and multiple problems that show no signs of letting up.

Unless the gaokao is adjusted to make up for the huge loss of learning that many kids will face, even if their parents hire tutors, it makes me wonder what's going to happen to the kids in middle school and lower. Kids currently in high school still have a chance to make it out with less educational damage (though online classes are extremely hit or miss), but those younger kids are in deep poo poo if this goes on for another few years. My friend's son's school in SZ has been fully online since National Day (Oct. 1st). He just turns on his iPad for online class and then leaves the room after attendance. He hasn't actually sat for a class in months, and now all covid restrictions are down and the schools are staying closed. He can't see his friends, can't play basketball, can't do anything. He's 13 and depressed as hell. I imagine there are tens of millions of kids with the same apathy and ennui he has developed. If you get a bunch of non-teachers, disabled teachers, and apathetic kids and put them all into a classroom, that's a long-term, slow-motion disaster, IMO.

Too bad uncle Xi closed the after-school tutoring industry. Chinese and foreign teachers alike would be entering the primest of prime markets for that industry if it were still around.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

god please help me
Jul 9, 2018
I LOVE GIVING MY TAX MONEY AND MY PERSONAL INCOME TO UKRAINE, SLAVA
Wait, why is after-school tutoring not a thing anymore? It's been a couple of years since I've been in the game, but isn't tutoring one of the most lucrative jobs you can get in Asia (as a foreigner)?