Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

some pages theres lots if recs so i have to pick one arbitrarily other times its just one or two those are easy enough but other times its just pages and pages of spider jokes and that can get annoying

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021

Some Guy TT posted:

you know i gotta be honest i find the starship troopers is satire argument to be about as convincing as the 300 is satire argument which is to say not very

Its because millenial video essayists grew up during the iraq war era which was perfectly encapsulated the over the top vibe of the federation infomercials about signing up to die while being stuck in a forever police action.

Now watch average Ukranian propaganda in english about how the russians are a mud people and each ukranian is worth how many russians. A few years from now annoying late zoomers and late alpha are going to hold 300 to the same standard.

loquacius posted:

Gonna point again at Starship Troopers, a movie which did not do this and yet didn't have fratboys uncritically quoting it for a decade

Yeah, a bunch of yahoos didn't latch onto the movie when it came out because it was the end of history so it was looked at as a goofy action movie that couldn't happen. Then 5 years later Osama bin Laden was inspiring dwarf fortress in tora bora.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

McCloud posted:

Lmao really, you sure about that

Maybe I'm too young but from where I was sitting yes it absolutely did not have anywhere near the level or persistence of fash following that 300 did

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

a strange fowl posted:

also the world is apparently an alternate universe where tatars became the dominant eurasian power instead of mongols,

Isn't this what happened?
And Russia was under the Tatar Yolk before unification?

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021

StashAugustine posted:

To be fair there are 100% a lot of people who didn't get it

no its satire because a breadtuber told him so. Said breadtuber also has a gigantic page on the genetic and cultural differences between ukranians and russians explaining why the latter are mongol serfs following the fuhrerprinzip while the former are a free, diverse and democratic state that ties romani to lamp posts and marks them with a special dye.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Tankbuster posted:

no its satire because a breadtuber told him so. Said breadtuber also has a gigantic page on the genetic and cultural differences between ukranians and russians explaining why the latter are mongol serfs following the fuhrerprinzip while the former are a free, diverse and democratic state that ties romani to lamp posts and marks them with a special dye.

Think you flew too close to the sun on this one

You've built such an elaborate and specific narrative that you wrote a post without a single true thing in it

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

Lt. Danger posted:

I mean Starship Troopers definitely had its share of critics and internet idiots claiming it was fascist too

funny you should mention, courtesy of rec.arts.sf.reviews:

quote:

Ultimately, Verhoeven's motives are irrelevant. He has produced a gargantuan film that fails as an action film or as a social satire. It even fails to be an entertaining bad movie. Avoid "Starship Troopers" at all costs.

quote:

In the final analysis, STARSHIP TROOPERS is flawed but fun, and, if marketed correctly, will likely make a healthy profit (although it will be interesting to see how the "R" rating affects its ultimate box-office performance). And, while the outline of Heinlein's story and many of the characters remain intact, only echoes of the rich and controversial political subtext have survived.

quote:

You remember how BATMAN & ROBIN was bad? Well, BATMAN & ROBIN kicked this movie's sorry butt, people. STARSHIP TROOPERS does not succeed as an action movie. It does not succeed as a drama. It does not succeed as a war movie. It does not succeed as a comedy. It does not succeed as a satire. It does not succeed as a parody. It succeeds as being horrible. Terrible. Gut-wrenchingly bad. I wanted to run away from that movie every minute. But I paid my money and I owed it to others to see if the movie got any better. So I stayed. It never got better. Frequently, it did the impossible, and got *worse*.

quote:

That this undertone will likely be lost to the majority of STARSHIP TROOPERS' audience is not due to subtlety; the film hardly buries this theme, and is often blatant in its representation. It's simply that this message is being pitched in a context where its usage is mostly ineffectual and in some cases even appears apt. While shots of little children cheerfully stomping on insects will cause chuckles, scenes of the troopers' homicidal tendencies being stirred up prior to engaging in battle will have the effect of similarly enticing the us-versus-them, xenophobic mentality of many in the audience.

quote:

I don't think you get much bang for your money out of this film, unless you are really into special effects or found this sophomoric satire funny or you are a reactionary, then I think you will find many things to like about this empty hearted attempt to put WW11 into an outer space conflagration film.

one last one with a big lmao

quote:

I'm totally confused as to the way that some people are really enjoying this movie. But I do admit it. So, if you're willing to possibly put yourself through torture, go ahead and see it, and decide for yourself if you love it or hate it. I don't know how anyone or any*thing* could love this movie, but hey, to each his own. Feel free to give it a shot. Of course, in the interest of saving your souls, I don't recommend it.

But guess what? ALIEN RESURRECTION comes out November 26th, and, having already seen some of it and having read the script, I assure you that it will blow pretty much everyone away. Though opinion on STARSHIP TROOPERS is reasonably split, it'll be difficult to find someone that *won't* like ALIEN RESURRECTION when they've seen it. This is possibly the year's best intense action film, or at least *one* of the best. If you really want to see alien warfare that's played out intelligently and seriously, see ALIEN RESURRECTION. Please, avoid this.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

There is zero chance I am reading all that

Cookie Cutter
Nov 29, 2020

Is there something else that's bothering you Mr. President?

you can tell 300 is not satire because when the same director made a real attempt at subtext and allegory the result was Sucker Punch. he doesn't have it in him.

Dr. Jerrold Coe
Feb 6, 2021

Is it me?
Starship Troopers II is pretty weak DTV crap but III is incredible, really learns into the insanity of the GWOT: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j3sU8NPCYmc

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Cookie Cutter posted:

you can tell 300 is not satire because when the same director made a real attempt at subtext and allegory the result was Sucker Punch. he doesn't have it in him.

I still haven't seen Sucker Punch but one of these days I'm gonna get blazed and put it on mute while listening to music, it seems perfect for that

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

josh04 posted:

funny you should mention, courtesy of rec.arts.sf.reviews:

one last one with a big lmao

are these critics or internet idiots seems like it could go either way

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

loquacius posted:

Maybe I'm too young but from where I was sitting yes it absolutely did not have anywhere near the level or persistence of fash following that 300 did

Wow it's almost as if the political climate has changed in the past 30 years since it was released. If it would have come out today you'd have had "influencers" on YouTube talking up the merits of citizenship via enlistment and the other fash nonsense

You're absolutely too young because the kids and teens back in the day loved SST and it wasn't for its cutting satire

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

Some Guy TT posted:

Movie critics, pretty sure one of them is Roger Ebert

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

internet idiots but tbh the main thing i wanted to post was the guy who read the script for alien resurrection and decided that this ship could never sink

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Funny you should say that because all your posts about 300 are from the viewpoint of someone who doesn't remember the 2000s

Lt. Danger
Dec 22, 2006

jolly good chaps we sure showed the hun

Some Guy TT posted:

same thing :smug:

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Who among us doesn't fervently wish they could get paid for posting their opinions

Lt. Danger
Dec 22, 2006

jolly good chaps we sure showed the hun

Lt. Danger posted:

same thing :smug:

drat, can't believe this guy genuinely thinks professional film critics and random people on the internet are literally the same people. if only he had clarity of purpose, etc.

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021

McCloud posted:

Wow it's almost as if the political climate has changed in the past 30 years since it was released. If it would have come out today you'd have had "influencers" on YouTube talking up the merits of citizenship via enlistment and the other fash nonsense

You're absolutely too young because the kids and teens back in the day loved SST and it wasn't for its cutting satire

A 7 year old me watching johnny rico do quake movement to blow up the blue artillery beetle: Wow, this is amazing satire and such a stunning indictment of the cult of heroism that fascism inspires

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

Lmao

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

does anyone remember the bit in 300 where the religious weirdos who control everything say that the prophecy (delivered via pedo sex slave) says america should let the pansexual muslim degenerates invade but it turns out they have been paid off by a bejewelled black man who says something like "excellent!" then the scene fades until you can just see his grinning eyes and teeth

that was wierd imo

i guess it was a strong satire of american right wing mania/ just american mania

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

i liked when the funny yelling man kicked the ambassador from Zamunda into the pit

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
I wish Persian Obama was my boyfriend.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY posted:

Tbh it's really funny that the movie of the month threads never make it past a single page

I admit it used to bum me out, but hey I've gotten to see some solid flicks because of it so whatever.

Dr. Jerrold Coe
Feb 6, 2021

Is it me?

Nonsense posted:

i liked when the funny yelling man kicked the ambassador from Zamunda into the pit

honestly the scene works better toned down: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gNqiSkd1M6k

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021

uber_stoat posted:

I wish Persian Obama was my boyfriend.

I don't. Not a fan of piercings.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?

McCloud posted:

The movie opens with the supposed heroes of the film tossing babies into a eugenics pit. I'm sorry this isn't clear enough for you, I guess

:hmmyes:

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

when I saw Starship Troopers at 12 I loved it on a pure surface level and we did all unironically quote and talk about it for a few months at school

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

300 is badass. Not enough movies are badass.

Zokari
Jul 23, 2007

McCloud posted:

You're right, they should abolish the dome so we can talk about it in every thread again, like old times

how would you tell the difference?

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

indigi posted:

when I saw Starship Troopers at 12 I loved it on a pure surface level and we did all unironically quote and talk about it for a few months at school

we did this too (younger I guess) but we watched it dubbed in Turkish. it sounds like normal Turkish propaganda that way.

God Hole
Mar 2, 2016

leraddude posted:

Jim Cameron is on record saying that Avatar/s is very heavily "inspired" by Dune. and yeah the similarities are pretty blatant if you know what to look for

Duncan Spiderho

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY

McCloud posted:

The amount of real estate the snyder fandom has in your head is really something

Gave no thought to you assholes until this extended meltdown over the pedophile cavill

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Spielberg like Scorsese is no longer good, only films by Zack Snyder could ever hope to achieve such acclaim

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

spielberg's last good movie was minority report or catch me if you can (forget which came out first)

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Snyder's film about Anschluss gonna be wild

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY

indigi posted:

spielberg's last good movie was minority report or catch me if you can (forget which came out first)

Isn't his adaptation of West Side Story supposed to be very good?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

why are all the snyder posters so dog brained