Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What is the most powerful flying bug?
This poll is closed.
🦋 15 3.71%
🦇 115 28.47%
🪰 12 2.97%
🐦 67 16.58%
dragonfly 94 23.27%
🦟 14 3.47%
🐝 87 21.53%
Total: 404 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

Tankbuster posted:

this war uses advance wars rules you dummy.

I'm sorry, are you talking about BattleTech? Because I only play up to 3050 and prefer 3025. The Advanced Rules get too weird and cumbersome.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

speng31b
May 8, 2010

Cerebral Bore posted:

no, it definitely does matter since there's a much better chance that the current government would sign a peace in the name of self-preservation than if the government consisted of a bunch of blood-gargling open nazis

and if there is no government at all then it would be all but certain that russia would have to deal with an unknown number of blood-gargling nazi splinter groups for an indefinite period of time, which they pretty obviously wouldn't want

at some point you have to acknowledge that Zelenskyy is just a friendlier face for advertising to the west so unlimited support keeps flowing in, and when his stated negotiating position is stuff like "we're going to take back Crimea" (or up until pretty recently, that he wouldn't even talk to a Russian head of state unless Russia couped putin), the blood gargling nazis are already in control and Zelenskyy is just a lovely Halloween mask they wear when pitching to investors

anyways, Russia isn't going to just blow up a head of state, it wouldn't play well with anyone but their own hardcore nationalist freaks who are all in regardless, it would be a major escalation, and why would Russia want to set a precedent that blowing up heads of state is even on the table as a valid tactic

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UyIkSxzRGLU

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

Cerebral Bore posted:

no, it definitely does matter since there's a much better chance that the current government would sign a peace in the name of self-preservation than if the government consisted of a bunch of blood-gargling open nazis

And do you have any sort of argument or evidence to back up this wild claim that absolutely nothing suggest to be true?

Ardent Communist
Oct 17, 2010

ALLAH! MU'AMMAR! LIBYA WA BAS!

Lostconfused posted:

And do you have any sort of argument or evidence to back up this wild claim that absolutely nothing suggest to be true?

Putin should just ask Zelensky if he's going to fight to the death or negotiate, and if the big Z says fight to the death, then targeted strike him, and then be, "what, he said that he wasn't going to negotiate, what was i supposed to do?"

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
Which one is Uwe Boll and which one is lowtax in this analogy

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

speng31b posted:

at some point you have to acknowledge that Zelenskyy is just a friendlier face for advertising to the west so unlimited support keeps flowing in, and when his stated negotiating position is stuff like "we're going to take back Crimea" (or up until pretty recently, that he wouldn't even talk to a Russian head of state unless Russia couped putin), the blood gargling nazis are already in control and Zelenskyy is just a lovely Halloween mask they wear when pitching to investors

anyways, Russia isn't going to just blow up a head of state, it wouldn't play well with anyone but their own hardcore nationalist freaks who are all in regardless, it would be a major escalation, and why would Russia want to set a precedent that blowing up heads of state is even on the table as a valid tactic

im p sure that zelensky, being a shitlib, is mainly trying to save his own skin and/or position, which suggests that if the military situation became completely untenable he'd sign a peace deal and gently caress off to some sinecure job in the west rather than hole up in the kiev fuhrerbunker until the bitter end

Lostconfused posted:

the wild claim that ideologically committed nazis are not keen on making peace

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

The only argument I see for Zelensky right now is that this rear end in a top hat is too busy banning all political opposition destroying civil society to focus on the war or killing people.

Although I don't think it actually matters all that much since nazis are free to kill and torture anyone they want.

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

Cerebral Bore posted:

the wild claim that ideologically committed nazis are not keen on making peace
Show me a Ukrainian official committed to making peace.

speng31b
May 8, 2010

Cerebral Bore posted:

im p sure that zelensky, being a shitlib, is mainly trying to save his own skin and/or position, which suggests that if the military situation became completely untenable he'd sign a peace deal and gently caress off to some sinecure job in the west rather than hole up in the kiev fuhrerbunker until the bitter end

nothing about the way this has played out suggests he can just decide to do something like that, he has to contend with the nationalists who presumably have been keeping negotiations off the table so far and had their own chief negotiator murdered last time around

and of course the US MIC who now owns his soul in a blood pact

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

Lostconfused posted:

Show me a Ukrainian official committed to making peace.

committed to making peace and willing to make peace if the alternative is death are two pretty different things, you absolute dunderhead

speng31b posted:

nothing about the way this has played out suggests he can just decide to do something like that, he has to contend with the nationalists who presumably have been keeping negotiations off the table so far and had their chief negotiator murdered last time around

yea, it's easy to bluster and make maximalist demands when you think you're winning, less so if its your own head on the chopping block

again, zelensky has been hyped to such ungodly levels that the worst case scenario for him is spending the rest of his life in the west getting rich from grifting idiot libs. dude isn't gonna fight to the death unless the nazis are holding a gun to his head, which they very well might be, but it's still a better chance that ukraine would sign a peace deal under him than if the ideological fanatics were in charge because they definitely wouldn't negotiate even if they were losing

speng31b
May 8, 2010

Cerebral Bore posted:

again, zelensky has been hyped to such ungodly levels that the worst case scenario for him is spending the rest of his life in the west getting rich from grifting idiot libs. dude isn't gonna fight to the death unless the nazis are holding a gun to his head, which they very well might be, but it's still a better chance that ukraine would sign a peace deal under him than if the ideological fanatics were in charge because they definitely wouldn't negotiate even if they were losing

i just fundamentally don't think he's empowered to make those decisions, and I think if he was out the effective outcome wouldn't be much different. i guess i just don't believe he has a restraining influence on the hardline nationalists, whether through petty self interest or any other reason, because there's no evidence of it. His current stance and the actions his government are taking are not different from what I'd expect if nationalists were just running things outright

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

Cerebral Bore posted:

you absolute dunderhead

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

speng31b posted:

i just fundamentally don't think he's empowered to make those decisions, and I think if he was out the effective outcome wouldn't be much different. i guess i just don't believe he has a restraining influence on the hardline nationalists, whether through petty self interest or any other reason, because there's no evidence of it. His current stance and the actions his government are taking are not different from what I'd expect if nationalists were just running things outright

i would assume that if the russians started winning hard enough that zelensky & co would seriously consider peacing out the nationalists would also be so weakened and discredited that they wouldn't be able to exercise some kind of absolute veto

regardless, from a russian perspective any chance of ukraine giving up is better than no chance of it

speng31b
May 8, 2010

Cerebral Bore posted:

i would assume that if the russians started winning hard enough that zelensky & co would seriously consider peacing out the nationalists would also be so weakened and discredited that they wouldn't be able to exercise some kind of absolute veto

regardless, from a russian perspective any chance of ukraine giving up is better than no chance of it

eh, I think at this point the meganazis have been empowered and that ship has sailed. any change in the state of battle short of a full government toppling isn't going to disempower nationalists in ukraine at this point. they hold literally every lever of power, and have the full backing of the US MIC

from a russian standpoint i doubt that they are under any illusions that Zelenskyy is the real voice of reason and they're preserving him for that reason, as i said earlier there simply isn't any benefit to start knocking off heads of state. it would make the Russian hardline freaks happy, but those people never needed convincing

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

Cerebral Bore posted:

Honestly, I don’t think the Russians are expecting the Ukrainians to independently negotiate, Zelensky at best would be a conduit for American negotiations. That said, there is the very real possibility that Zelensky would be informed the war is over second hand.

Also, offing Zelensky doesn’t really change anything as another proxy would simply be appointed in his place.

The Russians finally figured out though that any deal depends on the facts of the ground, and the Ukrainian government seems to generally being ignored.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Boston Whaler should gift Zelenskyy a boat he can go far away on, unsinkable!

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021

chairface posted:

putin's leader power is poo poo; he doesn't even know the health of his own units. sending 2hp tanks up against fresh mechs lol

all this is a ploy to move rocket and artillery units into firing range.

Futanari Damacy
Oct 30, 2021

by sebmojo

Homeless Friend posted:

thats exactly where i'd place kyiv in civilization

I'd build Minsk at the other fork just a few tiles upriver before your influence expands to include it, preventing you from utilizing the full locus of surrounding tiles and hobbling your development :twisted:

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

being humiliated by an enemy doesn't discredit nationalists it strengthens them

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

Ardennes posted:

Honestly, I don’t think the Russians are expecting the Ukrainians to independently negotiate, Zelensky at best would be a conduit for American negotiations. That said, there is the very real possibility that Zelensky would be informed the war is over second hand.

Also, offing Zelensky doesn’t really change anything as another proxy would simply be appointed in his place.

The Russians finally figured out though that any deal depends on the facts of the ground, and the Ukrainian government seems to generally being ignored.

Trying to think of a negotiating partner outside of NATO or the Russian Bloc who'd be an acceptable intermediary for negotiations for both sides and I'm drawing a blank.

Maybe the Swiss?

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

The negotiations are with the NATO bloc.

They're the ones that decide if Ukraine can keep fighting or not.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Zeroisanumber posted:

Trying to think of a negotiating partner outside of NATO or the Russian Bloc who'd be an acceptable intermediary for negotiations for both sides and I'm drawing a blank.

Maybe the Swiss?

India

speng31b
May 8, 2010

Lostconfused posted:

The negotiations are with the NATO bloc.

They're the ones that decide if Ukraine can keep fighting or not.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?

mlmp08 posted:

Stuff like the shape of the world, how roads and rail work, Russia’s stated objectives, etc.

lol this is a great post

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

super-scientific, ultra-gay

Lipstick Apathy

Zeroisanumber posted:

lol deradicalization a.k.a. "Take off your swastika patches and quit throwing up the roman salute when cameras are around you idiots!"

oh no, nothing that far

they're flying wolfsangel and heiling in the video they took that screenshot from

they did nothing at all and that's more than enough

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

A less glib answer is Turkiye, what with all the grain corridor business and prisoner exchange arrangements.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost

Ardennes posted:

Honestly, I don’t think the Russians are expecting the Ukrainians to independently negotiate, Zelensky at best would be a conduit for American negotiations.

I do not understand why you would think the reason Ukrainians are fighting is because some policy person at dept of state American told them to.

If Russia’s theory of ending the war was a negotiation with America rather than winning the war on the ground in Ukraine, that would be tremendously stupid. I think they are smarter than that.

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

mlmp08 posted:

I do not understand why you would think the reason Ukrainians are fighting is because some policy person at dept of state American told them to.

If Russia’s theory of ending the war was a negotiation with America rather than winning the war on the ground in Ukraine, that would be tremendously stupid. I think they are smarter than that.

lol

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost

I don’t know if I take seriously the opinion of the “Why doesn’t Russia seize Lviv?” guy.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

mlmp08 posted:

Ukrainians are fighting cause they have both motivation and ability. a successful negotiation with america cuts off their funding and military supply which cripples their ability to maintain a functional government let alone military, it's not stupid at all

speng31b
May 8, 2010

mlmp08 posted:

lol back to basics i see

Fat-Lip-Sum-41.mp3
Nov 15, 2003

mlmp08 posted:

The reason Ukrainians are fighting is because the American government and its vassals are giving money and weapons to Ukrainians to fight with.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost

indigi posted:

Ukrainians are fighting cause they have both motivation and ability. a successful negotiation with america cuts off their funding and military supply which cripples their ability to maintain a functional government let alone military, it's not stupid at all

I think a better plan is to win the war, not hope you can convince a third party who isn’t present on the battlefield and isn’t suffering casualties to simply change their mind and cut off Ukraine. And then hope that even IF you can convince a third party to stop spending money, you have to hope Ukraine says “aw shucks” instead of some lovely insurgency and ongoing fighting.

It’s a poo poo theory of victory, even worse than simply hoping the US and Europeans grow weary and quietly turn off aid on their own schedule. The latter seems more plausible than Russia convincing the US to give up aid to Ukraine and then further getting the US to tell Ukraine to surrender.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost
But hey, hope springs eternal. Maybe Russia will use a powerful soliloquy to convince the US to demand that Ukraine surrenders. If that does end up being the outcome, man, seems like it’s probably not gonna happen until at least another year from now.

Futanari Damacy
Oct 30, 2021

by sebmojo

Slavvy posted:

Saying they didn't take Kiev is disingenuous when it was clear that the whole exercise was as a threat ala Georgia and actually capturing it was never on the table to start with. I find it very doubtful that anyone involved seriously thought they could actually storm the city.

Been saying this. The issue was it was planned as a success to force capitulation- once that was clearly not happening there wasn't much else to do but sit around as there wasn't a plan for a serious attack. I won't speculate as to whether a Ukrainian government committed to protecting its citizenry rather than sacrificing them would have done anything differently in response, but it's an important point of order for understanding the psychology of both sides.

paul_soccer12
Jan 5, 2020

by Fluffdaddy

Argh!!!

Best Friends
Nov 4, 2011

the nazis, who are only .0001% of the military, keep ending up on camera a good fraction of the time somehow

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

mlmp08 posted:

I think a better plan is to win the war,

for sure but nothing Russia has done in the past 10 months suggests they're good at plans

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alpha 1
Feb 17, 2012
Slava Argentina
https://twitter.com/Ukraine/status/1604492740754083843