Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Why do you read this thread anyway?
This poll is closed.
I enjoy reading contemporary newspaper comics. 64 26.02%
I hate reading contemporary newspaper comics. 42 17.07%
I enjoy reading historical newspaper comics. 88 35.77%
I enjoy reading newspaper comics from foreign countries. 52 21.14%
Total: 246 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic

Murdstone posted:

I want everyone in Funky to die. Everyone.

Same but everyone in Luann.
"I've been burgled!"
"Nope. Bird."
"Oh yeah, they hit next door too."
"I SAID IT WAS A BIRD."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

The Demons of Baseball

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
These fools in Val are so drat lucky they aren't loving with Vintage Val.

manero
Jan 30, 2006

Nancy 1947

Alt

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

~Coxy posted:

The Demons of Baseball

Hooooooooy

Good Listener
Sep 2, 2006

Ask me about moons
Fact #1 The Moon is really cool
I like he's called Left Handy but appears to be missing that arm.

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Good Listener posted:

I like he's called Left Handy but appears to be missing that arm.

That must mean he's all right!

Rhymes with Orange

:china:

Get Fuzzy 12/17/02

Brenda Starr 1/12-14/50

Smokey Stover 10/28/51

Everyday Movies 11/26/35

"Hello, Weather Bureau, will it be safe for me to wear my new hat with the feathers on it to the football game with Joe on Thanksgiving?"

Bonus Ad! Well, that's blunt.

You may wonder, what is the Stauffer System if it doesn't involve dieting, exercise, or drugs? It was what they called "passive exercise" -- in other words, lying on a motorized vibrating couch, following the well-known principle that if you jiggle your fat enough that it feels kinda like you exercised, it's the same as exercise! It was actually quite popular and successful, at least for Dr. Stauffer's wallet, until the FTC slapped him with a cease and desist in 1965.

Selachian fucked around with this message at 19:26 on Dec 18, 2022

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
Into Ilves

Nancy

Dustin

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Ellen aren't you supposed to make fun of Ed for being fat? Is Skelley okay?

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Bizarro

Alt

The Family Circus

Alt

FoxTrot

Alt

everyone wear hats now
Jul 29, 2010

The Creeps

Transmodiar
Jul 9, 2005

You're a terrible person, Mildred.
Modesty Blaise: Take-Over

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

I've got my father's great big six-shooter with me 'n' if anybody in this woods wants to start somethin' just let 'em--but they DASSN'T.
Mutts

Sally Forth

Peanuts (December 21, 1975)

The Funkyverse Merger Is Complete, And Now We're Forced To Deal With It

:china: :china:

Rip Haywire and the Curse of Tangaroa!

Popeye

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

How long has Crankshaft been on the same timeline as Funky Winkerbean? The last connection I remember was near-death institutionalized Crankshaft being wheeled through a Funky strip where they were volunteering at a retirement home.

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

~Coxy posted:

The Demons of Baseball

lol thought of this too.

F Minus

Mark Trail

You know it's a moose if it's biting your sister.

Mary Worth

Oh, she probably won't have anything to say.

The Phantom

Pooch Cafe

Rex Morgan MD

I think they're aging up Sarah.

Andertoons

Flash Gordon

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Powered Descent posted:

The Family Circus

Alt

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7hMaHDTw-pI

Yes that is a song made to sound like an evangelical love song about Jesus, except it's about Lucifer

Shaman Tank Spec fucked around with this message at 21:20 on Dec 18, 2022

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

Murdstone posted:

Rex Morgan MD

I think they're aging up Sarah.

Her hair definitely got really long all of a sudden

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005

Yeah, I'd worship him. :hai:

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Murdstone posted:

The Phantom

Maybe I've just seen too much Star Trek in my life, but I can't help but think the person with the slightly odd face who's wearing stylish, immaculate clothing and carrying well-maintained machinery JUST MIGHT be intelligent.

Oh, wait, she doesn't speak English. Never mind, she's just an animal.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

I AM GRANDO posted:

How long has Crankshaft been on the same timeline as Funky Winkerbean? The last connection I remember was near-death institutionalized Crankshaft being wheeled through a Funky strip where they were volunteering at a retirement home.
since now. that's the what the entire last week or so of interminably boring and self-indulgent janitor talk has been about.

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

So, Harvey, what became of the giant penny?

They actually let him keep it.
Pickles

Hagar the Horrible

Zits

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Solving all of life's problems through enhanced casting of Occam's Razor. Reward yourself with an imaginary chalice.

Mangling My Metaphors Like Shoving My Cock Into A Bike Chain, Gritting My Teeth and Pedaling With My Hands

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

How 'bout them hawks news huh!
This week on Ballard Street, a rare child spotting!

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

Same, buddy, same

ukonvasara
Aug 16, 2012

a mixture of gravity and waggery

EasyEW posted:

Another short one tonight, but you still get Out Our Way At Christmas out of the deal. (December 10, 24 and 26, 1925)

This one's one of my favorites--love to see it every year!

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

I've got my father's great big six-shooter with me 'n' if anybody in this woods wants to start somethin' just let 'em--but they DASSN'T.
Out Our Way At Christmas, featuring another one of my favorite cowboy cartoons. (December 13, 20, 23-24, 1927)

It's A Sketchy Life, and here comes The Christmas Number! (December 2, 1926)

Our cover comes from Coles Phillips.

Two contributions from Percy Crosby:

Fred G Cooper:

H.T. Webster:

Carl Anderson:

Rea Irvin:

L.J. Holton:

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe
Crabgrass

Old School Peanuts (Dec 30-Jan 1, 1954)

Calvin and Hobbes (Sep 17-22, 1992)

Big Nate

Blind Alley

readingatwork fucked around with this message at 03:47 on Dec 19, 2022

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Murdstone posted:

Mark Trail

You know it's a moose if it's biting your sister.

If you didn't notice it because you thought it was part of a bush, it's a deer.
If you didn't notice it because you thought it was part of a mountain, it's a moose.

Mooses are BIG.

Hippocrass
Aug 18, 2015

That third panel of the first comic just makes it. It's still funny if you remove it, but that panel included just makes it top tier.

Honestly, this would have made a good Calvin and Hobbes strip.

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

The Demons of Baseball

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Hippocrass posted:

Honestly, this would have made a good Calvin and Hobbes strip.

I'm almost positive at least a few panels from it are direct homages to said strip (I remember Calvin once doing something similar to the first panel with his mom having almost the same reaction)

thisusedyet
Feb 14, 2012

My post... it sucks!!!
You're in luck!
https://www.gocomics.com/calvinandhobbes/1985/12/27

This thing comes in handy
https://michaelyingling.com/random/calvin_and_hobbes/

thisusedyet
Feb 14, 2012

My post... it sucks!!!

Larryb posted:

I'm almost positive at least a few panels from it are direct homages to said strip (I remember Calvin once doing something similar to the first panel with his mom having almost the same reaction)

hosed up. Reply is not quote, see post above this one

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender
2018 Spiderman

1980 comics
The missing Sunday for NSM only, thanks to our friends in the NSM thread.

Locher Tracy

Footrot Flats

The Lockhorns

Computoon: Origins

Legends in the Heights, now with chairs

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

Powered Descent posted:

Maybe I've just seen too much Star Trek in my life, but I can't help but think the person with the slightly odd face who's wearing stylish, immaculate clothing and carrying well-maintained machinery JUST MIGHT be intelligent.

Oh, wait, she doesn't speak English. Never mind, she's just an animal.

The Phantom focus has mainly been on the weekday storyline that has looped three or four times over the past year, but the Sunday storyline has been much more magical and monster-y than I'm used to from Phantom!

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
Docks

Retail

Popcom

Medenmath
Jan 18, 2003
Vintage Valiant (Oct. 31, 1954)

Mrs. Grundy

manero
Jan 30, 2006

So it turns out I have Covid. I can't smell or taste anything, it's pretty messed up. Anyway -

Nancy 1947

Alt

The_Other
Dec 28, 2012

Welcome Back, Galaxy Geek.
Holiday Suprise 2022

John Allison's Patreon John Allison's Gumroad store
Forward Slash Scare website for Allison's side comics

John Allison posted:

When I wrote this, I had forgotten that Lottie and the rest of the mystery friends had actually been under alien mind control – in fact, the only one who wasn’t was Shauna. I wrote it as a goof on Lottie’s love of the X-Files. But if you’re reading this, I didn’t manage to write a better final line.

We all know John Munch, right? The unifying TV figure who really ties the Tommy Westphall system together. You’ll enjoy reading about this preposterous interlinking of TV shows if you’ve never encountered it before.

I suspect that Law & Order: Criminal Intent is an unlikely candidate for pinball immortalisation, but for the connoisseur, it remains the franchise branch of choice, the only one with Goldblum (in a wig?)

So the first panel in today's page is probably alluding to the possible future comic Allison mentioned at the end of Author Unknown (the Steeple/Solver crossover from 2021) , The Great British Bump-Off .

The rest of the comic refers to the end of the New Scary-Go-Round webcomic that ran after Allison finished Bad Machinery and New Bobbins (often referred to as Wen-Tack or The Great Unboxing, for the two chapters of that series). To recap, New Scary-Go-Round had Mildred, aided by Linton and a new group of first years (that Allison might have intended to be the next generation of Tackleford Mystery Kids), form the Wen-Tack Action Group, whose goal was to have the relief road/tunnel between the rival towns of Tackleford and Wendlefield completed. They were successful but this had the unintended consequence of having the government redraw the school allotment districts, which in turn caused Griswalds, the school the cast of Bad Machinery attend, to stop offering 6th form classes, the optional final two years of British secondary education. Thus, as mentioned by Shuana in today's comic, the cast of Bad Machinery went their separate ways after leaving Griswalds.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?
That's a really good Beetle Bailey and I'm surprised how strong something I assumed was pure zombie strip is.

I sure hope this cool, intense twist in Demons of Baseball goes somewhere soon as it's getting to the point of drama so intense it lingers there and starts to feel bad. :v:

:allears: Alright, Crabgrass was always good but now I know it was always great.