Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!
I mean, "Things That Happened" is a good descriptor for Inland Empire, sure.

Can't wait to take some edibles and watch Inland Empire for four hours years.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived
I haven't seen it since it came out in 2006, in a theater. Part of me wonders if I'm being hard on something I watched once 16 years ago.

The only things I remember from it are

- homeless terry crews e: https://www.reddit.com/r/TerryCrews/comments/5j9mt4/terry_crews_appeared_in_inland_empire/
- the few scenes (alleyway) stuff shot on actual 35mm film looking incredible
- depressed that he operated the DV cam himself and couldn't figure out how focus worked, which probably wasn't bad on a small monitor on set, but when projected looked real rear end. the scene in the mansion where the older lady is talking to dern, and the loving windowcurtain is sharp behind her and she's not drove me crazy
- the whole thing felt like a waste of time, and i love all his other stuff

zer0spunk fucked around with this message at 18:39 on Dec 15, 2022

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

Boywhiz88 posted:

It’s v annoying that half of GoT was bad because there’s a reasonable price for the 4K set and it would be nice to support physical media. But I also know it just ends like rear end!

I feel this way whenever I think about getting the 4Ks of The Force Awakens and The Last Jedi.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

GrandpaPants posted:

I feel this way whenever I think about getting the 4Ks of The Force Awakens and The Last Jedi.

I'd already bought them by the time RoS came out so I ended up buying RoS too because I'm mentally ill.

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

floating 26" off da ground. BURR!

Basebf555 posted:

I'd already bought them by the time RoS came out so I ended up buying RoS too because I'm mentally ill.

That I haven't purchased RoS is a huge coup for me. Same w/ OT 4Ks knowing that they are not great.

A man has to take a stand!

EDIT: TLJ has some of the prettiest shots in modern Star Wars, so I give it props for that.

Boywhiz88 fucked around with this message at 21:39 on Dec 15, 2022

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

Can you head over to the action thread and recommend this please? Or I can cross post it with your permission.

Always happy to spread the word on Raging Fire! So cool.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Basebf555 posted:

Texas Chainsaw Massacre UHD coming in February. A bit odd to release it in the middle of the winter but hey I'll take it.

https://twitter.com/dawnofthediscs/status/1603433778294280192

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

I imported UK bootleg Blu-rays of the unaltered OT using the 4K remasters of '77 and Jedi, plus "Grindhouse Edition" of Empire. Seeing '77 without a frame of CGI added and with the original Dolby Stereo mix was like seeing a good friend you hadn't seen in years. And they used the VHS artwork (complete with CBS-FOX logos)!

Even the OT alterations taken into account, it just seems pointless between all the upscaling, extras being all over the place, and dumb packaging. I have Disney+, so if I really want to rewatch the sequels in Dolby Vision, I can just watch them there. And after rewatching the unaltered OT and the sequel trilogy again, I actually don't think The Last Jedi holds up that well. It's the longest film in the series and still comes off as too all over the place, while I really enjoy The Rise of Skywalker. It gets a lot of poo poo, but I found it even more fun for me than The Force Awakens.

Great to see Criterion doing a UHD of Mildred Pierce out of left field. The 4K restoration from a few years ago utilized the nitrate camera negative except for the last reel (which was from a nitrate fine-grain instead) and should look amazing. Also in for Inland Empire and Last Hurrah for Chivalry. I got the Twilight Time of Chilly Scenes of Winter for $5 a long time ago, so I dunno if it's worth a rebuy.

Egbert Souse fucked around with this message at 01:16 on Dec 16, 2022

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

I went and but the bullet on the 88 Films The Seven Percent Solution despite not seeing anything that said if the transfer was any better than Shout’s version. Diabolik also had the Highlander steelbook on sale so I grabbed that too.

Kino has a sale going till the 19th I think. Maybe I’ll get dumb and see if they have something I want.

pwn
May 27, 2004

This Christmas get "Shoes"

:pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn:

I own this damned movie on dvd, blu-ray, and now 4k, and they only ever have the one featurette and trailer. Like god drat it sony. If you don't wanna bother doing any supplements then license it to criterion or arrow or whoever and they'll gin up something. A commentary track would be nice.

Yes that is the poster :smug:

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

No superbit edition?

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Update: I got dumb and ordered For a Fistful of Dollars, For a Few Dollars More, Touch of Evil, and The Eiger Sanction from Kino.

VoodooXT
Feb 24, 2006
I want Tong Po! Give me Tong Po!
Speaking of Kino sale, anyone have opinions on the two Pete Walker collections?

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived

pwn posted:

I own this damned movie on dvd, blu-ray, and now 4k, and they only ever have the one featurette and trailer. Like god drat it sony. If you don't wanna bother doing any supplements then license it to criterion or arrow or whoever and they'll gin up something. A commentary track would be nice.

Yes that is the poster :smug:

This one kinda flew under the radar this month but people say it's a nice transfer. I figure it's Sony so it'll show up in a sale like the catalog stuff tends to, and then I'll snag it

pwn
May 27, 2004

I AM GRANDO posted:

No superbit edition?

That is the Superbit. They didn't do that awful huge banner on the front for every Suped-Up Bits release (also see: Punch Drunk Love)

zer0spunk posted:

This one kinda flew under the radar this month but people say it's a nice transfer. I figure it's Sony so it'll show up in a sale like the catalog stuff tends to, and then I'll snag it

Had to have that ultra limited slip. Drove to BB. They didn't even have it on the shelf, had to wait almost ten minutes for some dude to dig in the huge employees-only area that used to be the middle of the store to find one.

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!
Just got the new US release of Ghostwatch and drat this is a way more solid quality and hefty package than I expected for 20 bucks. Impressive release

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

https://twitter.com/diabolikdvd/status/1603849298634018825?s=46&t=FVQyoH0lRSqBKkzZlJhIlA

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Origami Dali posted:

Just got the new US release of Ghostwatch and drat this is a way more solid quality and hefty package than I expected for 20 bucks. Impressive release

Got around to ordering the UK edition of the Ghostwatch BR from 101 Films this morning. Threw in the Young Ones set too while I was at it.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Oh hell yeah

worms butthole guy
Jan 29, 2021

by Fluffdaddy
The clerks 3 blu ray starts off with a message from Kevin Smith thanking you for buying physical media lol

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

worms butthole guy posted:

The clerks 3 blu ray starts off with a message from Kevin Smith thanking you for buying physical media lol

That almost makes me regret buying physical media

pwn
May 27, 2004

Hey heyheyhey HEY.

Kevin Smith is cool and good and i will not stand for this dis :colbert:

His stuff's been all over the place the past decade or so but I read his giant life retrospective book and it got me over being too harsh on the dude.

Jay and Silent Bob Reboot was not good

SeductiveReasoning
Nov 2, 2005

382 BC - 301 BC
He hasn’t made a movie I’ve enjoyed since Jay and Silent Bob Strike Back, but I can’t help but love that fucker and I get happy every time I remember he exists.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Clerks 3 was better than I expected

I got my Vinegar Syndrome Black Friday shipping email finally btw :sickos: :getin:

PinkoBastard
Oct 3, 2010
Kevin smith seems like a nice guy. He’s a bad filmmaker and always has been (I like a few of his movies but it’s true) but he owns it. Putting out something like Yoga Hosers or even the latest Jay and Silent Bob movie is pretty inexcusable at this phase of his career, but (I mean this sincerely) at least he’s having fun. There are people way more deserving of our scorn, but he’s an easy target due to jorts

worms butthole guy
Jan 29, 2021

by Fluffdaddy
Clerks 3 was ok. Surprised it had the balls to end as it did. Wasn't very funny but I think that's ok.

I still really like Clerks 2 and Tusk is ok.

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."

worms butthole guy posted:

Clerks 3 was ok. Surprised it had the balls to end as it did. Wasn't very funny but I think that's ok.

I still really like Clerks 2 and Tusk is ok.

Yeah clerks 3 really did a lot for me on a personal and nostalgic level, I was really impressed with it.

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

IF HE WOULD JUST MOVE THE loving CAMERA

I would forgive him.

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived
Just thinking about the time he was hyped up as a batman writer and then wrote the worst batman book in the history of the medium, in which batman pisses his pants.

This Is the Zodiac
Feb 4, 2003

I may have to start ordering VS releases from Grindhouse rather than direct because their shipping is so much faster.

The only things I bought Black Friday were Home Grown Horrors 2 and the shirt with the titty ladies on it.

For Partners-Only I ordered a couple of new releases like the first day, which haven't shipped yet, but noticed a few days later that I'd missed one, so I got it from Grindhouse instead and it's out for delivery today.

Runaway Trashbot
Mar 13, 2022

by Games Forum

Day 1 purchase right there

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

I can’t think of another slipcover that has hit such crazy prices on resale?

So yeah I’d like to apologize to VS for my grumbling they went quiet about this for 6 months ha it’s definitely a cool cover for sure.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
Holy cow lol

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

EL BROMANCE posted:

I can’t think of another slipcover that has hit such crazy prices on resale?

So yeah I’d like to apologize to VS for my grumbling they went quiet about this for 6 months ha it’s definitely a cool cover for sure.

:lol: mine is due in Monday, I better get on this

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

I have an offer for mine for $125 and it’s kinda crazy I’m not slapping the HOLY poo poo YES GIVE ME THAT FOR A PIECE OF SHINY CARDBOARD button because there’s a chance someone will offer more.

pwn
May 27, 2004

I will reserve my anger slightly. They still haven't shipped mine.

pwn fucked around with this message at 00:35 on Dec 18, 2022

Dangerous Person
Apr 4, 2011

Not dead yet

I loved Food Party back in the day and am hella jealous of this

Nightmare Cinema
Apr 4, 2020

no.

zer0spunk posted:

This thread just willed a criterion BD of inland empire for march.

I guess they figured it wasn't worth the hassle of upscaling all the DV portions for a UHD version.

easy skip but hey, more lynch on disc

e:

https://twitter.com/Criterion/status/1603435082928324608

:negative: oh good, the hour+ cut out of the 3 hour movie

Yes hahaHA YES.

Now where the hell is the Blue Velvet UHD?

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

Origami Dali posted:

This one was an autobuy for me and I didn't even know they were gonna go all out on the packaging like an Arrow release at half the price. What a gem, this one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VoodooXT
Feb 24, 2006
I want Tong Po! Give me Tong Po!
Yeah, I just got my copy of Ghostwatch yesterday and drat, that thing is solid.