Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Blastinus
Feb 28, 2010

Time to try my luck
:rolldice:
Crap.
I would say that Narve just doesn't hit hard enough to account for his TP costs. Sure, he's usable if you have a source of TP watching over him, but there are other characters with self-sustain that also provide significantly better damage output. That being said, since he can drop Fire and Ice, and since Wind spreads Fire around, he can be a very handy enabler for Frederica and Corentin's elemental-based buffs.

I have nothing but praise for Julio though. He's surprisingly strong for his support status and all KO abilities also trigger on chained attacks, even if the target was already dead when he did his follow-up. Means that it's really easy to keep him charged with TP, which he can then pass right along to your heavy hitters.

AweStriker posted:

There’s some inconsistencies in the writeups:

- Does Be Brave cost 2TP (spreadsheet) or 3 (breakdown)?
- Mystic Beam somehow got the auto-revive description in the spreadsheet

It's 2 TP, yeah, and Mystic Beam is a non-elemental line-based attack that also heals allies it passes through, but it does not provide a revive benefit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OOrochi
Jan 19, 2017

On my honor as the Dawnspear.

AweStriker posted:

There’s some inconsistencies in the writeups:

- Does Be Brave cost 2TP (spreadsheet) or 3 (breakdown)?
- Mystic Beam somehow got the auto-revive description in the spreadsheet

Oh man, thank you. Those are a little embarrassing ones to have missed. Corrected now, but Be Brave costs actually costs 2 TP, and Mystic beam now actually has a description.

Blastinus posted:

I have nothing but praise for Julio though. He's surprisingly strong for his support status and all KO abilities also trigger on chained attacks, even if the target was already dead when he did his follow-up. Means that it's really easy to keep him charged with TP, which he can then pass right along to your heavy hitters.

Huh, I actually didn't know that his KO ability would still trigger like that. That's a very nice boost indeed.

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!
Narve actually ended up my MVP. He was in drat near every battle in my first playthrough. Spark is a great snipe shot and the other Spark user shows up later (I'm unsure of her exact requirements but she came much later for me) and his Sanctuary isn't as strong as Geela's but can definitely make the difference in a pinch. He makes a great duo with Julio

megane
Jun 20, 2008

Nobody even reacts to the news that Patriatte is corrupt. “I discovered that one of the most powerful men in the kingdom has been embezzling money!” “Ah, yeah.” “He tried to kill me!” “Mm hmm, welcome to the team.”

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

megane posted:

Nobody even reacts to the news that Patriatte is corrupt. “I discovered that one of the most powerful men in the kingdom has been embezzling money!” “Ah, yeah.” “He tried to kill me!” “Mm hmm, welcome to the team.”

Bigger problem right now.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

Serenoa and friends also have access to the character concept art.

SIGSEGV
Nov 4, 2010

megane posted:

Well the funny thing is if you refer to pre modern states and even a long while after that is that corruption is the norm, and I don't mean in the sense that it is everywhere and expected and bad, it's admirals embezzling money from the state and / or raising surprise taxes to pay for the sails and the wages of their crews, governors strong arming local authorities to force them to actually do their job like maintaining river tow paths and such, so it's extremely not a surprise.

OOrochi
Jan 19, 2017

Update 22: Storming the Gardens

The party is planning in the garden when they’re found by an Aesfrosti Captain.

Who is quickly joined by a squad of reinforcements

Aesfrosti Captain: It's Prince Roland! The archduke himself ordered us to kill all with royal blood. You ain't getting out of here alive!
The archduke ordered what—!?
My brother would order no such thing!
Glenbrook and Aesfrost were to be allies! Why does the archduke betray us?

Aesfrosti Captain: That's rich, coming from a bunch of traitor bastards! Glenbrook broke the treaty first! We've every right to seek retribution!
What? We did no such thing!
That's right! I’ve heard enough of your lies!
Brace yourselves for battle, my friends!

This fight is one with another unique win and loss condition. Roland is force deployed, and if he dies, we lose.

At the other end of the map, there is a set of spaces. If Roland reaches them, then we win instantly.

The map itself is relatively interesting. We start in 2 groups (one of which is hidden behind the character portraits in the turn order. Just ahead of us is a line of fortifications. The center of the line is an unbreakable set of scaffolding, flanked on either end by a 3-tile wide destructible barricade.

On the other side, there are a bunch of Aesfrosti soldiers in the main courtyard, another couple lines of barricades between the raised section and the courtyard, and then a fourth and final layer with a 1-tile wide hole before the escape squares.

Speaking of the soldiers, we’ve seen these guys before. There are 2 archers, both with poison arrows, right by the scaffolding, 2 each of the Shieldbearers and Blades in the back of the courtyard, and then a third archer, this time with ice arrows, on the raised section behind the courtyard.

For our party, we have 9 slots to work with. The only swap I’m doing is putting in Hossabara since she can keep up with Roland and heal him if need be. That said, I end up splitting her off almost immediately, so the idea didn’t really pan out that well.

Once we start the fight, it’s revealed that, unsurprisingly, we won’t totally outnumber the enemies. Once we cross a few lines, reinforcements will start to stream in from the green squares. Things can get a bit hairy, but we don’t need to actually deal with them.

My father is in danger! Pay our foe no mind—we make our way through the gardens!
Destroy the bulwark blocking the way! And quickly, before they call for reinforcements!
Why... Why would Aesfrost do this?
Judging by their numbers, they must have been planning this assault for quite some time...
l'm trusting you to get us out of here, Serenoa!

Thanks to the vanguard scarf, Frederica moves first. I want to try and take out the archers before they can get up on the scaffolding, so I have her hit one of them with Scorch. Conveniently, it’s also close enough to one of the barricade tiles that it’ll get burnt down in the same attack.

Aesfrosti Soldier: Don't let them get inside the castle!

On the other side, Anna falls just short of breaking down one of the barricades on her own. Roland follows up and breaks it, but it does mean that he can’t reach the archer before he starts climbing.

The Aesfrosti should never have gotten this far... What happened to the Kingsguard?

Speaking of climbing, Hughette goes next and is able to fly up onto the scaffolding and block the weakened archer from making it up there, while also blinding him.

On the right side, the whole party bunches up right at the barricade line. Hossabara and Serenoa bust open the remaining tiles, so the group should be able to make it through next turn.

Though annoyingly, the nearby archer does climb up and starts taking potshots at Roland.

On the left side, the group moves up and Frederica is actually the first person through the breach. She takes a big chunk out of both the archer and a nearby shieldbearer. The archer does live with a single point of HP though.

While Anna heads up top and hits the archer for nearly half his HP. Shortly afterwards, Hughette goes and they finish him off.

That also provokes the Aesfrosti soldiers to start moving up.

As part of the scrum, Roland finally crosses the barricade line as he Rushes through one of the Shieldbearers.

That triggers the reinforcements, 2 Aesfrosti Blades on both sides of the map.

Gah! There's more of them...
Break through! Clear the path for Prince Roland!
Father...Brother...Sister... I'm on my way. Be safe. Please, be safe!

The enemies swarm around Roland and Serenoa, but don’t really inflict too much damage at this point.

Frederica finishes off the nearly dead archer and almost takes out the shieldbearer she hit earlier.

And then she and Erador work together to finish that one off with a book to the back of the head.

Meanwhile, the Blade crits Roland with a use of Mighty Strike, and that and a follow up from the trapped shieldbearer take out more than half of his health.

drat it, we don't have time for this!

Despite being weakened, he’s still able to take out the remaining shield bearer and then move forward some more. Making 100% sure to stay outside of that remaining archer’s range, since a single ice arrow could absolutely take him out right now. Annoyingly, I miscounted and he ends up also being 1 square out of Geela’s healing range.

I finish the remaining enemies in the center, and then start moving forward. It’s a totally valid strategy to go around either side, but I decided to just go straight up the middle.

Aesfrosti Soldier: They're strong... We can't let them advance any farther!

That triggers another wave of reinforcements, this time a healer and 2 more blades coming in from the escape tiles.

Serenoa gets to work destroying more barricades while Benedict buffs Roland and Geela finally heals him.

Which is great timing, since without at least one of those, that archer would have killed him.

Frederica burns down the final required barricade, while the first wave of reinforcements finally close in from the sides.

I try and have Erador provoke the two closer ones, but fail the fury infliction on both of them. That’s less than ideal, because one of them then runs over to Frederica and takes out about 80% of her HP in a single swing.

Up top, Serenoa and Benedict cover for Roland, who’s hanging back just a bit for safety.

While the remaining party members start dealing with the first reinforcements.

Up top, Roland takes a big chunk out of the archer and ends his movement able to escape on his next turn, assuming none of the newest blades block him.

Rudely, reaching that spot triggers yet more reinforcements, another 2 archers and a shieldbearer from both sides.

Knowing that the fight’s almost done, I do something really stupid with Hossabara. She moves to finish off the infuriated Blade, but that leaves her right next to another one.

That leaves her ripe for another one of them to slide in, crit her in the back with a Mighty Strike, and then the flanking Blade finishes her off with a follow up attack.

Back up top, unsurprisingly, one of the reinforcement Blades does end up blocking Roland’s initial way through.

But Serenoa is able to one shot one of the barricades and open up another path.

Which Roland can use to dart into the escape zone and end the mission.

We're through! Quickly now, to the throne room!

The scene fades out and we come in in the castle, filled with the bodies of Glenbrook soldiers.

Then our foe has already been here.
drat them! Please...please let my family be safe!

We can hear the clank of armor and clashing of blade just ahead.

What was that?
It came from the throne room!
They must have broken down the doors. We must hurry!

The party rushes ahead, though Frederica stays back for one moment.

Why, Brother? Why are you doing this!?

She then follows after them.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
Nooooooo, what a cliffhanger!

That's a really nice battle. I appreciate it when map objectives in this kind of game consist of more than "kill every enemy".

Congrats to your Triangle Strategy av, Oorochi!

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.
This map is very interesting. You can choose to drive up the middle to get Roland in as quickly as possible, but it's also completely feasible to reposition your entire party at the start by walking through the pond.

A idea that will be very helpful in this game is the concept of force concentration; the German Armed Forces call it "Schwerpunkt," or "point of focus."

The idea is that even if you're outnumbered, by tactically applying all your forces to one front and conceding another, you can sweep half the enemy force off the field and then reset as the second arrive.

Here you can do that by beelining for a flank and then setting up a highground defense, using the stairs as a choke to sweep all the enemies off the field before you provoke more reinforcements, but as the game ramps up the heat, it's going to become a more important idea.

Natural 20 fucked around with this message at 18:46 on Dec 19, 2022

Cattail Prophet
Apr 12, 2014

With clever use of quietuses, Benedict's buffs, and Roland's Rush ability (did you know he can bypass the barricades with it?), you can also have him make a mad dash alone up one of the sides of the map and reach the exit before the enemy can even react. You miss out on a fair amount of experience this way, since the rest of your units won't be anywhere near finished dealing with the enemies in the middle, but it's very satisfying to pull off.

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

This is really intense, I didn't expect the stakes to get this high this quick.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

THIS BADGE OF SHAME IS WORTH 0.45 DOUBLE DRAGON ADVANCES

:dogout:
of SA-Mart forever
I much prefer it when reinforcements are triggered, not random or continuous every turn or what have you. I consider the latter to be lazy design. Enemy spam is fun in Gauntlet, not so much in TRPGs.

OOrochi
Jan 19, 2017

Torrannor posted:

That's a really nice battle. I appreciate it when map objectives in this kind of game consist of more than "kill every enemy".

Congrats to your Triangle Strategy av, Oorochi!

Yeah, Triangle Strategy is generally good about varying things up from the typical "beat all enemies, don't lose all of your guys" type battles.

And oh wow! Thank you to whomever ponied up for it! Seeing it really put a smile on my face.

Natural 20 posted:

[tactics discussion]

You're very right. I'm admittedly playing a little lazily while things are easy, but it'll definitely be necessary to actually think about concentration of forces and proper planning in certain later fights.

Cattail Prophet posted:

With clever use of quietuses, Benedict's buffs, and Roland's Rush ability (did you know he can bypass the barricades with it?), you can also have him make a mad dash alone up one of the sides of the map and reach the exit before the enemy can even react. You miss out on a fair amount of experience this way, since the rest of your units won't be anywhere near finished dealing with the enemies in the middle, but it's very satisfying to pull off.

Yeah, it's great. I've been holding off on talking about/using quietuses until one actually matters, but it's a blast to be able to use them essentially skip a level Fire Emblem warp staff style.

OOrochi
Jan 19, 2017

Update 23: Remember Me

Instead of going to the world map, we go right back into the throne room, where Ser Maxwell is making a last stand to protect the royal family from the Aesfrostis.

Do they...do they mean to hurt us?
They will do no such thing, my princess. Not so long as I draw breath.
Cease the vainglorious theatrics. The city is mine now, and not a soul loyal to His Grace still lives. You are all that remains. Not even the Dawnspear can hope to triumph against such odds.
You talk and talk, but do you have the courage to test your words?
This is folly, Gustadolph. What madness has possessed you? Is this how you would take revenge for what befell your father?
Nothing so petty as that, Regna. The war and all its atrocities should remain buried in the past.
Then what drives you to commit new ones!? To tear down the future we labored so long to achieve! Do you think Hyzante will stand idly by while Glenbrook burns!?
I shudder to think what ends you hope to achieve by such vile means.
hmph You always did lack imagination. However, not even I foresaw the opportunity this foolish partnership would afford me. As for Hyzante...she shall meet the same fate as your beloved kingdom before long.
Whatever your aims may be, you'll never—

Suddenly the door opens and the party barges in.

Father! Are you hurt!?
Roland!?
Brother!
You imbecile! Why do you return!?
Be grateful to see me for once! I wasn't about to leave you to these wolves!
You stone-headed brat...

Stand down at once! On the honor of House Wolffort, we shall not let the royal family come to harm!
Serenoa of House Wolffort, was it? Or is it Lord Wolffort now? Clearly you take after your father. It was no small task to make it this far, I'm sure.
And you must be Archduke Gustadolph.
Brother! What is the meaning of this!?
I am sorry for forcing this unpleasant scene upon you, Frederica. I had to take action...sooner than anticipated.
Action? What do you—

Scheming to claim the riches of the Grand Norzelian Mines as their own, they slaughtered my dear cousin Dragan in cold blood. For this most heinous crime, and for shattering the trust between our nations out of malice, I declare their punishment must be swift and final.
So this is the lie you would weave...
What mummery is this!? Dragan was killed by—

Benedict runs up and grabs Serenoa.

Silence, my lord!
Benedict...?
I commend you for delivering the traitorous Prince Poland to me. He, too. Must answer for his crimes. Hand him over, and House Wolffort may yet see itself through this unscathed. You are my dear sister's husband-to-be. Bend the knee and no harm shall befall you.
I will do no such thing. We won't be party to your treachery.
Your father was ever a thorn in my side. You seem intent on repeating that history. However, I fear you will not live long enough to accomplish it.
General Avlora. Kill them all.
Yes, my lord.

Avlora draws her gigantic greatsword.

Ugaaah!

In a nice little touch, Gustadolph takes a step back, to keep the blood pooling around Frani’s body from getting on him.

Ser Maxwell, leave me! Take Roland to safety!
...Yes, my lord.

There’s a flash of light and Ser Maxwell leaps over the Aesfrostis to be in front of Roland.

My prince, with me!

Maxwell shoves Roland backwards.

I can't leave them! Step aside, Ser Maxwell!
My lord, we must flee at once!
But His Grace...!
Roland, Lord Wolffort. ...There is no saving me. The future of Glenbrook lies in your hands now!
Father...!
…My prince, follow us!
But I... drat it all!

We then flee back out the main door.

After them!

With Avlora and a number of the Blackirons in hot pursuit.

You would once again see Norzelia bathed in blood, Gustadolph? Truly, you are lost...
This land has long been lost, Regna. But it need be no longer.

The scene fades out and we join our party back on one of the bridges out of Whiteholm.

He is readying the boat for our escape as we speak.
A wise decision. No doubt the river is our only hope of getting out of the city alive. The streets are overrun with Aesfrosti soldiers. Our foe no doubt searches for us on the other side of this very gate.
Then we wait here, and pray for Ser Maxwell's swift return.

Father... Frani... Cordelia...

Hughette’s sprite shakes with anger as she points at Frederica.

And what is she doing with us!? She's with the enemy!
What!? No, I...I had no idea—!
Lies! It was your own brother that attacked the city!
If I had any idea he was planning such atrocities, I would have stopped him! He's... I know not what's possessed him!
My lady speaks the truth. We are as shocked and torn by this turn of events as you.
Enough, Hughette! We can't be clawin' at each other's throats with the Aesfrosti army lookin' to hunt us down like dogs.
In an incredibly flat tone of voice…My emotions got the better of me for a moment. Forgive me.
Hughette means no ill, my lady. Her fellow members of the Kingsguard were slain before her eyes. For now, let us focus on the present. Prince Roland's safety and escape are our main concerns.
...Of course.

A little bit of time passes and the party spreads out.

...Benedict. You stopped me from speaking the truth of Dragan's death. To what end?
Gustadolph would frame Glenbrook for Lord Dragan's murder and claim it as pretext for his invasion. If he knew we witnessed the truth, our heads would already be on pikes.
It would seem he still intends to put them there.
Because you spat in the face of his demands.
What we know could expose his claims as the treacherous lies they are. If it came to light that Gustadolph orchestrated his own cousin's murder, no one would dare stand by his side.
Indeed. However, words have little substance on their own. ...Especially when weighed against the power and influence the archduke commands. Your "truth" would be taken as the pathetic ramblings of a desperate man.
...Once again, your wisdom makes me feel the fool.
No. We are all fumbling through these dark times. You spoke and acted as the lord of House Wolffort, and did so admirably.
And yet my actions have put everyone in danger. Father would have known better...
Let us look forward, my lord, not back. There are truths yet cloaked in the shadows. We must survive and see them brought to light. For these truths shall be the weapons by which we lay Aesfrost low.
Thank you, Benedict.

I know you will, my lord. Let us await Ser Maxwell‘s arrival.

We now have a brief exploration segment on the bridge. It’s a pretty simple area, and one that we explored already before going to Hyzante. Running around, we’re able to find a Ranged HP Pellet, a Large HP Pellet, one piece of Fiber, and a total of 1200 coins.

We also have two chances to boost our convictions with Hughette and Geela.

With Prince Frani slain, and King Regna and Princess Cordelia in Aesfrost's clutches, the crown is in a dire position. Its future lies squarely on Prince Roland's shoulders. I must protect him at all costs! But our enemies close in around us, and there are only so many arrows in my quiver...

Circumstances aren't as dire as they seem. We only need survive tonight, and then we can seek out allies to rally around Roland.
Yes, of course! House Telliore and House Falkes must surely still stand.
Indeed. And the Dawnspear fights by our side. My father will doubtless lend what aid he can when he recovers, as well.
Yes... Glenbrook has some life in her yet! I will fight with every ounce of my being today, so that we might see the morrow.

What could be driving him to these evils?

Regardless of his motivations, he attacked us under the guise of an ally. Such an act is unforgivable.
Forgiveness is a luxury at the present, Lord Serenoa. Would it not be prudent to know the root of what drives him first? Gustadolph does naught without a reason. This act was simply one link in a long chain of his design.
I see. We must know what drives our enemy forward in order to anticipate where he will go.
Just so. There is something larger at work here, loath as I am to imagine it.

As for the rest of the party, Frederica continues asking why Gustadolph would do this, Erador and Anna are on the lookout for enemies, and Roland goes between anger at what’s happening and mourning Frani. Finally, Benedict says that it’s obvious that they’re going to try and besiege the Wolffort Demesne in short order, but that we really have nowhere else to go.

With everyone spoken to, we have nothing to do but wait for the boat. Which we’ll see next time.

Blastinus
Feb 28, 2010

Time to try my luck
Crap.
It feels a bit unfair that our reward for the previous stage is to be shown that our presence just made things worse. But if Fire Emblem has shown me anything, it's that there's no gameplay success that can't immediately be undone once control is taken away.

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--

I was hoping for a battle in the throne room.
Though the plot actually did the work of presenting the situation as hopeless, unlike some other games.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

Blastinus posted:

It feels a bit unfair that our reward for the previous stage is to be shown that our presence just made things worse. But if Fire Emblem has shown me anything, it's that there's no gameplay success that can't immediately be undone once control is taken away.

To be fair, I spent that battle wondering why the hell we were charging into the trap with what was quite possibly the only surviving member in the chain of succession. It was a pleasant surprise when his brother pointed out what a mind numbingly stupid tactical maneuver our heroes made.

Of course it also ignored the old fantasy trope of the surprise attack with an army capable of completely overrunning a castle's garrison, that occurs deep within the nation but absolutely nobody notices this giant wall of men advancing halfway through the country to get there.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

of SA-Mart forever
I'm rather disappointed in the story so far because they've raised the stakes so much so early. I much prefer slow-building dramas with a lot of politics, backstabbing and double-dealing... the usual poo poo that goes on in any government. Having the frankly trite 'why are our allies invading us - oh they just killed the royal family' card so early is predictable and about as subtle as a warhammer to the temple.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

FoolyCharged posted:

To be fair, I spent that battle wondering why the hell we were charging into the trap with what was quite possibly the only surviving member in the chain of succession. It was a pleasant surprise when his brother pointed out what a mind numbingly stupid tactical maneuver our heroes made.

Of course it also ignored the old fantasy trope of the surprise attack with an army capable of completely overrunning a castle's garrison, that occurs deep within the nation but absolutely nobody notices this giant wall of men advancing halfway through the country to get there.

I think they moved most of their forces through the river.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

MonsterEnvy posted:

I think they moved most of their forces through the river.

But Glenbrook's big deal is that their river network is the transportation network that everybody uses to move goods around, so Aesfrost can hardly have covertly used the river to sneak up on the capital.

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--

I assume that because of the recent peace there weren't any active watchtowers monitoring the river nor any sea gates and the armies of Aesfrost quickly overwhelmed and silenced any checkpoints along.

OOrochi
Jan 19, 2017

Update 24: Battle at the Big Bridge

Welcome back! Before we attempt to escape from the capital, we have a brief interlude over at the Falkes Demesne.

Landroi slams his fist on the table.

Falkes Soldiers:(Yes, that’s that the game says) My lord, please reconsider! Aesfrost's numbers are overwhelming! We would only be sending our men to their doom!
I will not stand idly by as the capital burns! Move, you fool! I'll go by myself if I must! I'll make that bastard Gustadolph remember how true my aim is!

Falkes Soldiers: It‘s too late, my lord! Whiteholm has fallen, and the capital has been taken.
...drat it all! Do His Majesty and the royal family still live?

Falkes Soldiers: There is no news, my lord.
Heavens be good... Our dream of peace, so soon dashed asunder... And under my watch!

Falkes Soldiers: My lord, I fear there are other concerns... The Aesfrosti army may not stop at the capital.
Yes... The three high houses might still unite against them. We must prepare for the worst! Raise the alarum—it's time to muster our defenses!

The scene fades out after that, and we’ll rejoin our party in Whiteholm.

There, it’s been long enough that the morning sun has risen.

I've managed to procure a boat for our escape. It should arrive anon.
Thank you, Ser Maxwell.
Would that I could have done more. You did well to stand against Gustadolph. Your father would have been proud to see it.
Let's save the pleasantries until we're through the gate, huh? Everyone ready?
We are. Open the gates, Erador.
Whatever you say, my lord! Here's hopin' we can make it through without those bastards on the shore noticing...

Erador flicks the switch and the iron gate rises.

Aesfrosti Solder: Over there!

Sadly, that was not the case and a squad of Aesfrostis is already blocking the way. They rush forward.

And somehow instantly close the gate and take positions up on the walls.

drat it! They've shut us in!
Is this it? If this is where I fall, I'm taking these Aesfrosti bastards with me!
Don't be so quick to throw your life away, my prince.
Yes, we haven't lost hope yet. The boat will arrive shortly. We only need to fend them off till then.
Can we do that?
I fail to see why not...if you lend us your strength, that is.
As if I would do aught else!
Form around the prince! Protect him!

The party gets ready for combat as even more Aesfrostis stream in from behind

They pour from the castle like rats... I shall defend the rear!

With that, we’re put into battle. The goal this time is to secure the drawbridge while keeping Roland alive.

To do so, we first need to fight our way through this first squad of soldiers, open the gate with the switch on the left side of it,

And then ensure that there are no enemies on any of the white squares on the drawbridge behind it.

Speaking of enemies, we start out up against 4 archers (2 on the ground and 2 on elevated balconies), 3 blades, and a shieldbearer, with another 2 blades sitting on the drawbridge beyond the gate. All of the archers have ice arrows, and no one has any equipment.

For our party, we’re leaving the new people behind again since this map doesn’t really play to any of their strengths.

The deployment isn’t anything special, just a set of 3 lines across the bridge. Though we do also have Ser Maxwell hanging out in the rear as an ally.

As might be expected of the Dawnspear, he’s far and away more powerful than our units, and is nearly double our level. He’s not invincible by any means, but he’ll easily hold his own for a while. However, he’ll only hold down the rear. We’ll have to fight through the enemies ahead on our own.

The gate to the drawbridge is shut tight. We must find a way to open it, and quickly.
There should be a mechanism nearby.
Leave our pursuers to me. Open the gate, whatever it takes!

Despite the pressure from behind, we’re going to take this relatively slowly and methodically. Frederica still has the vanguard scarf, so I have her give Erador a flame shield and then just stay out of enemy range.

Which works out great when the first enemy blade runs up, does 8 damage to Erador, and gets hit for more than double in return.

And then Anna and Roland, with follow ups from Erador, are able to take him out before any more enemies can get involved.

The enemies start advancing forward, Serenoa and Hughette start bullying the archer on the left, and I have the rest of the units start remaking a line a bit further up the bridge.

I do have to be careful though, because the elevated archers have a pretty big range and a sizeable damage boost from the height difference. If a squishy unit moves into the overlap, it’s entirely possible to lose them from a 1-2 combo. And I definitely didn’t stupidly lose a slightly weakened Roland to that on my first recording.

Frederica’s also able to contribute with her new Blazing Chains spell. I really love it when she gets this spell, since it lets her easily deal like ¾ of a random enemy’s health in a single blow.

After a few turns, the reason for Ser Maxwell being on this map appears. Throughout the fight, waves of enemies will pop up back there and try to chase us down.

Aesfrosti Solder: There they are! Seize the prince!
Quickly now! Before more arrive!

One annoying thing is that, though they’ll normally cluster around Maxwell at the start, if a unit of ours is in range, the reinforcements will gladly go after them instead. Which is less than ideal since they can actually move pretty far and our squishy units would be in the back.

Because Frederica is, in fact, in range of the leading soldier, I have Hughette finish off one of the other blades and then move to cover her back.

Of course, then I realize Corentin can just fully block them with an ice wall, so the move was unnecessary.

Thanks to the wall, the reinforcements just gang up on Maxwell. Even getting hit from behind, any individual hit doesn’t do too much to him.

However, even though he can almost certainly handle this group on his own, there’s no reason for Frederica to pass up on hitting 3 guys with a single attack before moving ahead.

As people move forward, Benedict takes a bit of a beating from the archers and the last remaining original blade.

Though he does get a bit of revenge by finishing off said blade after an attack from Serenoa.

And then gets to pull off a combo with Anna, using Now! to let her absolutely obliterate the shieldbearer with Serenoa. After that, Geela also has a chance to actually heal him up.

After previously getting shoved over to it by the shieldbearer, Erador makes it up one of the ladders and pins one of the archers in a corner, while also doing pretty heavy damage to it with a back attack. Roland, evoking a wonderful image of a horse climbing a ladder, does the same to the opposite archer.

As we deal with the guys up front, Maxwell obliterates the reinforcements one by one.

We also have a rare use of Fell Swoop from Hughette, to finish off the final ground level soldier.

And with them gone, I have Anna open up the gate.

lt's open! Go!

Opening it causes a bunch of shieldbearers to join the two blades on the drawbridge.

Aesfrosti Soldier: Capture the royal brat! Kill all the others!
Protect the prince!
No matter how many come, our blades will keep them at bay!

Now that the gate’s open and the archers are pinned, we’ll start advancing onto the bridge itself. As we do so, Maxwell finishes off the last of the first wave of reinforcements.

Benedict lures in one of the blades, which prompts the other units to follow them forward.

That also triggers another wave of reinforcements in the back, this time a mix of shieldbearers, blades, and an archer. These are both more numerous, and stronger than the previous ones, being level 10 vs the first wave’s level 8.

Up front, Roland and Erador finish off the archers and race to catch up, while Corentin takes out one of the blades on the bridge.

While the shieldbearers and our group close in, Maxwell goes to work on the reinforcements. He’s pretty beaten at this point, down to about 20% health, but still manages to take out the archer.

Once the groups finally meet, I actually get hit with a pretty nasty combo. One shieldbearer slams Serenoa back two spaces into Geela, opening up a spot for another one to slam him into her again. The collision damage stacks with the regular attack damage, and this ends up doing a sizeable amount to both of our people.

The shieldbearers grouping up isn't all bad, though, as we do get to take advantage of Roland’s range to get multi-hits quite a few times.

I also have Erador chuck a firestone at one of the shieldbearers to just finish them off. It targets their magic defense stat, so it’s actually a pretty solid way to take them out if a mage isn’t available.

My spear...grows heavy... Keep...the prince... Unghhh...

In the back, though he put up a valiant fight, Maxwell finally falls. That essentially puts us on a bit of a timer to finish off our shieldbearers or be forced to fight on both sides.

Thankfully, we’re making good work on that front.

Also helping are all of the icy spots that Corentin put down. Since they’re everywhere, they actually slow down the pursuers pretty significantly.

And because of that delay, we’re able to finish off the last two shieldbearers with magic and rear attacks, right before that leading blade would’ve been able to make it on to the bridge. With no more enemies on the bridge, that means that we have won.

In the cutscene zone, we hear a ship’s bell ring and most of the group runs off to the side.

Prince Roland. Will you leave your brother unavenged?

But back behind the gate, General Avlora has finally caught up with us.

And Roland totally falls for her goading.

Go, leave this place. The archduke will be content with your father's head.

The rest of the party rejoins us as Roland gets even angrier.

Your Highness!

However, Avlora is joined by her Blackirons.

So long as I stand, you'll do him no harm.
Ser Maxwell!
...My prince. You are responsible for more than just your own life now. You are a leader, and must be the beacon others look to when the night is darkest

Maxwell shoves Roland back and punches him in the gut.

My friends of House Wolffort. I leave Prince Roland in your care.
gasping Let me go!

Serenoa and Erador drag Roland off as the party flees again.

Release him to me and there may be mercy for you yet, Maxwell.

With the bridge closing behind him, Maxwell steps forward.

‘Tis you who should be seeking mercy.
Must you do this? Very well...

In literally 3 frames, Avlora goes from standing and undrawn to slashing in Maxwell’s face.

Though he’s able to block in time. The two trade blows back and forth for a moment.

Before the ship carrying our party rounds the corner.

Avlora takes advantage of the distraction to get a series of hits in on Maxwell, which drives him back and to his knees.

Ugh... You were only toying with me at the tourney...
Only a fool shows what they can do when the stakes are so trifling.

While her men are slain, Avlora herself falls to her knees.

Before standing without any apparent injury.

You were this realm's fiercest warrior, Dawnspear. But today your sun sets, and a new age begins.

Avlora moves to give Maxwell the coup de grace after her attack, and as she swings there’s a flash of red and a splash.

And when it clears, we see Maxwell’s hat and mask, floating in the middle of a slowly spreading bloodstain in the river.

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--

I was about to ask how did prince Roland got up the ladder with his horse but then I got distracted by the anime power attack animations.

he placed the pony under one arm and climbed up with his other arm, a deed worth of Lincoln.

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

By popular demand posted:

I was about to ask how did prince Roland got up the ladder with his horse but then I got distracted by the anime power attack animations.

He was horsing around.

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

ASHERAH DEMANDS I FEAST, I VOTE FOR A FEAST OF FLESH
He shouted at it until he was hoarse to get to it climb

Black Robe
Sep 12, 2017

Generic Magic User

what do you think 'pony up' means

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
An NPC with his own portrait, unique (?) skills and weapon. And a mask floating on water without a body to be seen. It's not like we saw her stab him through the heart. He's 100% alive.

OOrochi
Jan 19, 2017

Update 25: A Soul Upon the Scales

We’ll start this update back in the throne room of Glenbrook.

Your most honorable siblings, Lord Thalas and Lady Erika, have arrived, my lord.

If there is anything else that you require—anything at all—you need but say the word.
In an incredibly fake pleasant voice In that case, I would have a bottle of the realm's finest wine and a serving of fresh fruit delivered to my quarters.
But of course, Milady. I shall have the servants fetch it at once.

Patriatte then leaves the room.

Ever eager to please, isn't he?
I believe the word you're looking for is "sycophant."

I trust you're already seeing to that fuss outside the castle walls?
Of course.
The other demesnes are putting up little in the way of resistance. Lord Telliore trembles in his seat within the stronghold, and Lord Falkes was oblivious to what was happening until it was far too late.
How easily the three high houses of Glenbrook break under your iron boot, Brother.
Wolffort is the last to hold out, but Avlora will deal with them. Prince Roland will be in our hands before long.
…..
Speaking of royalty, Brother—I would have thought Cordelia would be dead or rolling in gaol. Yet here she sits on the throne. She looks less a vanquished princess and more a queen.
That is precisely what I would have her be.
Whatever do you mean?

….
A few days hence, Regna will be executed. I've already informed Patriatte as much.
So the wise and benevolent King Regna meets his end at last. Hahahaha!
Father….

The scene fades out and comes in on the castle garden, presumably a few days later.

Where a bound King Regna is led onto the balcony.

Hear my words. The sins King Regna has committed against us—and against you, his own people—are grievous indeed.
…..
Three decades have passed since the end of the war. In the years since, we have all done what we can to rebuild our nations. The opening of the Grand Norzelian Mines was to be the dawn of a new age—an age where our three nations would work together for the peace and prosperity of all. But King Regna spat in the face of that glorious dream!
As our engineers worked tirelessly to put success within reach, your King Regna schemed in the shadows to seize control of the mine for his own profit. And when Dragan Aesfrost—my dear cousin and the man tasked with overseeing the mine's operations—became aware of this plot, King Regna had him assassinated in cold blood. In doing so he betrayed not only my own nation and the Holy State of Hyzante, but you as well—the very people who were to share in the wealth the mine would bring!
…..

Crowd: Concerned murmuring
And so we were left with no choice but to march on Whiteholm Castle and put an end to Regna's treachery...by force. Our actions were born of a righteous duty to avenge Dragan's murder and this odious betrayal of this historic accord between our nations. What say you, King Regna? Do you deny these charges against you?
sigh… I do not.
But I beg of you... Spare my children...

Crowd: More concerned murmuring
Subjects of Glenbrook! Your traitor king admits his guilt before you! The punishment for these crimes is death.

Roland... Cordelia... The future of our kingdom...is in your hands now...

Cordelia collapses as the executioner raises his sword.

The next bit of story is obviously at Castle Wolffort, but first there are a million side stories to go through. We’ll be starting at the Citadel of the Sands over in Hyzante.

Minister Sorsley is working at his desk when a member of his house comes running in.

What is it this time, Booker?
We've just received word that Aesfrost has launched a surprise invasion of Glenbrook. Whiteholm burns as we speak.
! What's this!?
The crown city has fallen. King Regna was beheaded, and it is said Crown Prince Frani also perished in the fray. Prince Roland has fled to the demesne of House Wolffort, with the grand duchy's army in close pursuit.
Goddess forbid... What could the archduke be plotting? And what do the others think of the matter? At any rate, I must speak with the hierophant at once.
Minister, if l may assuage you. I propose that perhaps this situation may yet play to House Ende's benefit.
Our benefit, you say? ...lndeed. Indeed. you may have the right of it. My dear Booker. Whatever would House Ende do without you? Send a bird to the palace. Tell them that the Holy One's faithful servant Sorsley would humbly beg an audience.
At once, Master.

Next, we’ll head over to the Falkes Demesne.

How did we not see what they were plotting? How did we not know to go to your aid!?

...But no. Cursing our fate will not bring you back to us. We must focus our efforts on the one who might yet save Glenbrook from downfall. We must protect Prince Roland with our lives!

The scene fades out as Landroi heads back into his hall, and we’ll next go over to House Telliore.

With King Regna gone, we must find a way to preserve ourselves. Landroi, that proud fool. will no doubt fight till the bitter end. But House Falkes alone is no match for the grand duchy. Yet if House Wolffort were to fight at their side...

...Or will they? The Wolfforts may choose to ransom the prince to Aesfrost in return for amnesty for their own demesne. If it comes to that, Aesfrost will either kill the prince and princess. or use them as their pawns. And Glenbrook will fall...
Bending the knee to Aesfrost may be our only hope if we are to live to see tomorrow...

We’ll leave Silvio to stew with his thoughts, and go over to the crown city.

Glenbrook Subject: Word has it the Kingsguard's been slaughtered to the last man. We must flee while we have our lives.

Glenbrook Subject 2: If they meant to kill ordinary folk like us, wouldn't they have done so already? Even Aesfrosti dogs have some honor, then. Who'd have thought? Anyway, there's no point fighting. What'll be will be.

Our people seem less resentful of Aesfrost than I would have expected... ...No doubt due to the archduke's decision to focus their attack on the castle, and leave the town itself unscathed. So the common folk won't be a problem. That just leaves the matter of the royal family...

Prince Roland is the only one unaccounted for. but the men I arranged for hunt him down as we speak. Word has it there's also a sizable bounty on his head. No, he'll not last long...
I knew Gustadolph to be a shrewd man, but his attention to detail is nothing short of astonishing.

Patriatte returns to the castle, flanked by the Aesfrosti soldiers, and the scene fades out. We’ll next head back to the main story at Castle Wolffort.

It is good to be home.
Castle Wolffort is the most impregnable stronghold in all the kingdom. You will be safe here, Your Highness.
Thank you. I can only hope Father and Ser Maxwell are safe as well...

Anna comes rushing towards the castle from off screen, and then joins us at the gate.

What's the matter, Benedict? You look as if you've seen a ghost.
Your Highness. My lord. Pray try to remain calm. His Grace was beheaded at the crown city not bells ago.

What?! Father… No… say it is not so!
Roland...
I can only imagine what you are feeling now, Your Highness, but I fear we have not the luxury of grieving. As the last living heir to the throne, there is no doubt that the archduke will target you next.
Indeed. We must move quickly. I would seek Father's counsel.

Wolffort Soldier: About Lord Symon...
Hm? What is it? Has something befallen Father?

The party rushes into Symon’s chambers
Father!
Lord Symon! What is the meaning of this!?

Wolffort Soldier: He collapsed when he heard the news from the crown city, and has not opened his eyes since...
Ye must be mad! The man was stronger 'n an ox!
We cannot afford to lose Lord Symon. Not now, of all times...
Father... Be strong, Father! This realm still needs you...

Serenoa...
Is there any chance he will recover?

Wolffort Soldier: Our healers are doing everything they can...but none can say.
...Very well.

The party leaves to the main hall.

Do not give up hope, Serenoa. The malady will not take your father easily.
Forgive me, Roland. I can only imagine what you feel now...
I must stay strong. I cannot allow Father's death to be in vain. You, too. must remain composed. For Lord Symon...and for those who now look to you for guidance in his stead.
...I will try.

At that, a messenger comes in through the main doors.

From whom?

Wolffort Soldier: The scout we had sent in search of Ser Maxwell returned with this.

!

Roland rushes up to Serenoa.

Wolffort Soldier: Reports have it that it was found near Whiteholm Bridge.
Blood? No...it cannot be...

Serenoa hands the mask to Roland, who just stands there staring at it..

This mask was all that was found, you say?

Wolffort Soldier: The bridge was all but overflowing with the bodies of the fallen. It was not possible to ascertain all of their identities. And the swift course of the river thwarted any efforts to search further.
...I see. Thank you for the report. Get some rest—you have earned it.

Wolffort Soldier: Yes, my lord.

The scene fades out, and that is where we will end this update.

OOrochi fucked around with this message at 22:39 on Dec 24, 2022

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--

Now I get where Patriatte stands on the naming scheme, his name was probably taken from 'patriot' ironically, since he's such a willing lacky to the new order.

Blastinus
Feb 28, 2010

Time to try my luck
Crap.
Looks like you've got a few extraneous image tags around Booker in his and Sorsley's scene.

Also, dang, Landroi, how long does it take you to finish preparing to go to battle? Since the last time we saw him, he's basically not moved an inch while everything's happened around him. The game doesn't do a good job in general of conveying the passage of time, but this scene in particular seems really odd to me.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Now I get where Patriatte stands on the naming scheme, his name was probably taken from 'patriot' ironically, since he's such a willing lacky to the new order.

It was funny how Thalas called him a sycophant, then turned around and started sucking up to his brother.

megane
Jun 20, 2008

I don't know if it's intentional, but it definitely seems like they're trying to paint Landroi as a Hamlet-style ditherer, who constantly talks about how vital it is that he act quickly and decisively, but then never does so.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.
Basically, nobody in Glenbrook was on war footing.

And in the Saltiron war Aesfrost and Glenbrook were allies so defense to the North was minimal.

So Aesfrost sweeps down as fast as it can, messengers get to Glenbrook just in advance which isn't enough time to mobilise troops from the surrounding lands and the castle gets taken in a night.

By the time these messengers have reached the Falkes domain Glenbrook castle is basically already falling, so in the few days it takes Falkes to mobilise his troops he then gets another message saying Regna's already dead.

The only reason our heroes manage to get to the castle just behind Aesfrost is because they're at the Norzellian mines when the news arrives, which is on the Aesfrosti border. (If my memory serves correctly)

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--

I'm sure the plot has more surprises in store both for the audience and for Archduke Got-It-All-Figured-out.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

of SA-Mart forever

megane posted:

I don't know if it's intentional, but it definitely seems like they're trying to paint Landroi as a Hamlet-style ditherer, who constantly talks about how vital it is that he act quickly and decisively, but then never does so.

I'm sure the plot has more surprises in store both for the audience and for Archduke Got-It-All-Figured-out.

I'm not sure of this game's ability to have subtlety and nuance. Normally I don't get much into game stories with minimal exceptions such as Torment, but since this one does like to bang on I feel that I can't ignore it. That said, the story so far strikes me as a pretentious, over-written Saturday morning cartoon. I don't buy this sudden invasion, everything seems very trite and predictable... the only thing I liked or was intrigued by so far was the angle of Aesfrost being highly advanced medically and materially equal, but a crushing theocracy. Now that seems out of the window because they somehow snuck a whole army across the border without being noticed until they were in the king's back pocket.

Time could well prove me wrong, but so far I am seeing a lot of story and sod all plot.

Blastinus
Feb 28, 2010

Time to try my luck
Crap.

JustJeff88 posted:

I'm not sure of this game's ability to have subtlety and nuance. Normally I don't get much into game stories with minimal exceptions such as Torment, but since this one does like to bang on I feel that I can't ignore it. That said, the story so far strikes me as a pretentious, over-written Saturday morning cartoon. I don't buy this sudden invasion, everything seems very trite and predictable... the only thing I liked or was intrigued by so far was the angle of Aesfrost being highly advanced medically and materially equal, but a crushing theocracy. Now that seems out of the window because they somehow snuck a whole army across the border without being noticed until they were in the king's back pocket.

Time could well prove me wrong, but so far I am seeing a lot of story and sod all plot.

Hyzante was the theocracy actually. Aesfrost is up north and we didn't visit them this playthrough.

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

JustJeff88 posted:

Give it time. We've only had one branching decision yet.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

JustJeff88 posted:

That was Hyzante. Asefrost was stated as being a meritocracy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OOrochi
Jan 19, 2017

Update 26: A Soul Upon the Scales-2

Welcome back! Last time we retreated back to Castle Wolffort. This time we’re going to need to make some decisions.

First, a bit of an easier one. In our encampment, we have two shops. One normal one that we just spend gold at, and the Sundry Shop, which takes the Kudos that we earn in combat instead. Its stock is pretty limited as of now, but it did just get its first promotion item. Offscreen, I did a bit of extra battling to equalize everyone’s levels, meaning that all of our core members (and Corentin) are eligible to be promoted up to veteran. We’ll get more medals eventually, and I won’t call for a vote on every single one, but I will ask the thread for this first one. Who do you want to be our first promote?

After that, we’ll jump back to Castle Wolffort.

A missive has arrived from Lord Gustadolph. It says they will stand down—on the condition that we surrender Prince Roland to them at once.
We've not much time before they're on our doorstep, my lord.
Word has it that General Avlora herself heads the vanguard.
Gustadolph's not takin' any chances...the schemin‘ bastard.
…..

Serenoa quickly glances over at Roland, who’s hanging his head, before turning back to Benedict.

Summon the war council at once. We must take swift action.

We then get a montage of images of the party arguing back and forth, before going into a scene proper.

It's all right, Frederica.
Please continue, Benedict.
Thank you. Once more, I would ask you plainly….
Do we or don't we relinquish Prince Roland to Aesfrost?

Hughette slams the table hard enough to shake the screen

I say we refuse! We owe Ser Maxwell that much!
Precisely! Ser Maxwell entrusted us with keeping His Highness safe. and we accepted!
There's no place in the realm more sheltered by the terrain than this castle. He is safer here than anywhere. And yet, if the archduke were to march on us with an army as great as the one that took the crown city—or heaven forbid a greater one...
The natural fortifications of this land would work against us. Our shelter would become our gaol.
So you propose that we just abandon him? That we sacrifice his life for our own protection!?

But see, Yer Highness, that's where ye're wrong. House Wolffort's the sword and shield of the crown. You go to battle, we go with you—so it's always been.
...Enough. I will leave before I see your demesne ravaged by fighting.

I refuse to believe sacrificing any of us is the correct path.
My lord, we cannot allow war to come to the Wolffort demesne. Your highest priority must be to your loyal subjects. You must decide.

As his vassal, I must fight to protect the prince. But as their lord, I must ensure my people's safety...
I am sorry, Serenoa... Pray do what you feel is best for your house. I will find some way of helping my family.
...Your mind is made up, then.
As the master of this demesne, you—and no other—must decide how we proceed.

I would hear everyone's thoughts on the matter.

We go back to the world map, and then right back in to an exploration section.

Very well, Milord. To our own counsels we go.

Alas. I have an incomplete picture of the situation, and I would be a poor lord if I did not hear the voice of my people. I should venture into town.

Serenoa walks towards the doors.

Concierge: Going out, my lord?
Yes. I wish to ensure everything in the town is in order.

I will do just that. Thank you.
I should return to the hall once I've spoken with the people. Perhaps I'll learn something that will sway some minds.

We now have another chance to run around the Wolffort castle, find stuff, and talk to people. By doing so, we’ll find another HP Ring, a Luck Ring, 2 HP Recovery Pellets, 2 pieces of Quality Iron, and a piece of Silver, which is required to unlock some characters’ 2nd tier of weapon upgrades. Most of the people in the area are either concerned about the incoming army or in shock that the crown city fell so suddenly. However, there are a number of people with more interesting things to say.

First of which is this soldier just ahead of our start.

Wolffort Soldier: If the tales are to be believed, they serve to make quick work of any invaders, though I can't help but wonder...why keep such a valuable weapon a secret?
Secret traps... It is hard to say what this might mean for us. They might well be employed to give us an advantage in battle, but at what cost to our own?

Talking to him gives us information on the Wolffort’s Secret Weapon, to be used in the persuasion sections ahead.

Just beyond that soldier, down in the market area, is a townsperson with more information for us.

Wolffort Townsperson: I shudder to think what will become of the kingdom now...
If he's to be delivered alive. I'd wager they have no plans of executing him...at least, not anytime soon. I should let the others know of this.

As one might expect, that lets us use that in future persuasions as well.

Finally, we have this merchant over in the corner.

Wolffort Merchant: Aye, the sun won't set on Glenbrook till Ser Maxwell falls—hah, as if that would ever happen!
Ser Maxwell laid down his life so that we might see another day... We must do all in our power to see that his noble sacrifice was not in vain.

With all of our information gathered, we just have two more convictions to do before heading back to everyone else.

First is this woman, right by the traps soldier.

Wolffort Townsperson: Why has Aesfrost attacked? I thought all this conflict was behind us with the opening of the mines... And what of your marriage to Frederica? Was that merely a ruse!?

Aesfrost's betrayal will not stand. They will answer for their atrocities.

Wolffort Townsperson: As is only right—the high houses of Glenbrook must defend the honor of the royal family! Though I fear any resistance risks turning our humble village into a battlefield...
And should it come to that. House Wolffort will defend you with our lives.

Wolffort Townsperson: Y-yes, of course. I suppose we ought to prepare for the worst, in the meantime.

And just past her, near the gate, is the other conviction conversation.

Wolffort Townsperson: Though it was Glenbrook and Aesfrost launching an attack on Hyzante all those years ago. The Holy State, reeling from the surprise assault, turned to Lord Symon for help. Back then, Wolffort was still an independent clan. and agreed to an alliance. All Norzelia was poorer for the fighting: its nations and people were left depleted.
So I have heard. Father told me stories of the secret meetings with King Regna that restored peace to the realm.

Wolffort Townsperson: Indeed it was they who brought Hyzante and Aesfrost to the table, and then the war to an end. It was your father's efforts that led the king to bring your house into the royal family's fold as the crown's military might. War is brewing, Lord Serenoa. Think carefully upon how you will navigate it.

I find myself in the unfortunate position of having thought peace would be everlasting...

Wolffort Townsperson: As did we all, my boy. I thought I'd never experience war again. I know it must be hard for you, having never known it in the first place. And alas, we're without even your father's wisdom... Our lives are in your hands, Lord Serenoa. Look deep inside yourself.
I shall take that to heart. Thank you.

That finishes off the main exploration section, so now it’s time to return to the castle and see everyone’s thoughts on the matter.

Just like our first vote, this one starts off with the sides seemingly evenly divided. We’ll go around the group and see what they have to say.

There must be a way to avoid weighing my life against those of others. I trust we can find it. Decide what you will. I shall follow whatever judgment you pass.

Roland leans towards sacrificing himself, but it is reasonably possible to convince him to change with the right choices and convictions.

A peace built by forsaking our friends and countrymen in their time of greatest need is no peace at all. I know what I ask is not easy, but I pray we find a bloodless path out of this conflict.

Meanwhile, Frederica is essentially inconvincible. It is likely possible if you’re doing a NG+ run, but on your first try I don’t think there’s a realistic shot at changing her mind.

Roland is worth more to Aesfrost as a political pawn than a corpse. They will not kill him once they have him. At least, that is how I see it. If we are to do what gives us the most hope, then Roland himself has the right of it.

Geela also leans towards surrendering, though she is also quite willing to go the other way if you use the right arguments.

Our kingdom needs Prince Roland—now more than ever. He is to be protected above all others.

As befits a member of the Kingsguard, Hughette is essentially unchangeable like Frederica.

We've been loyal to the crown for years, lad. Ye understand what they're askin' for is treasonous, don't ye? He's the king's own flesh an' blood! We should be protectin' him, not offerin' 'im up on a silver platter!

Erador is similarly unmoving.

It would not be wise to continue this fight with Aesfrost. If protecting His Highness's life is our first priority, it would be safer to accept their conditions.
In other words, you feel that Roland is of more use to Aesfrost alive as a puppet than dead.
Precisely. Furthermore, we must consider Princess Cordelia, who currently is in the enemy's clutches alone...

Despite his description, Benedict is actually open to arguments as well. He’s definitely the hardest one of the people who could realistically be convinced, but it is possible if the perfect arguments are picked and our morality is high enough.

Will you surrender the prince or not? Will you choose House Wolffort or the whole kingdom? 'Tis a question of our priorities. What matters most to us?

Finally, we have Anna. She defaults towards surrendering Roland, but can be convinced to go either way with proper arguments. She’s probably the easiest of the group to sway, but is by no means guaranteed.

So with everyone’s perspectives heard, it’s time for a vote!

Do we Surrender Roland or Protect Roland?
And as a separate vote: Who should we promote first?