Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

OGS-Remix
Sep 4, 2007

Totally surviving on my own. On LAND!

Sab669 posted:

I've seen people say Mageslayer is really good, a Break to disable his Shard and I guess just any anti-heal tech for the Bloodstone but I really haven't found a way to beat it in my pubs :sigh:
Like if they're an actual Razor player and not just picking the FOTM then it's real hard.

I also heard Drow is a good counter to Razor since her shard gives early heal reduction and you can straight up kill him if he's not draining you or you get ahead item wise.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

If you're not striving to improve, you'll end up going backwards.
Hmmmkay so that's 5-1 over two nights.

All 5 wins came with Hoodwink, only loss was with Dark Willow but was due to basically a stomp across all lanes. Slardar fed, Invoker fed and Lina stole all C's from our carry....then fed

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

Versus screen can feel a little passive-aggressive sometimes. Game usually doesn't go well when it talks about how many wins in a row the enemy carry has, and how many commends yours has.

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

Reasons why I'm herald.

Casting things in the wrong order...not realising that boomerang on Hoodwink gave magic damage amplification, so I was casting it after acorn shot like a total spud.

sugar free jazz
Mar 5, 2008

acorn is physical, you want boomerang for either making bushwack easier to hit or to amp your ult + bushwack

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

sugar free jazz posted:

acorn is physical, you want boomerang for either making bushwack easier to hit or to amp your ult + bushwack

Ah ok I feel less stupid now.

Plank Walker
Aug 11, 2005
to make it more confusing, boomerang amps "spell damage" which may be physical or magical. the damage from acorn is attack damage so that's why it's not amplified, but physical spells (like all of dazzle's) would still be

at least i think, who knows

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

Plank Walker posted:

to make it more confusing, boomerang amps "spell damage" which may be physical or magical. the damage from acorn is attack damage so that's why it's not amplified, but physical spells (like all of dazzle's) would still be

at least i think, who knows

After reading and testing this is correct.

It amplifies bushwhack damage, and sharpshooter damage but not acorn shot.

But would potentially amplify maelstrom damage from an acorn proc I guess...

Just trying to think of how I approach fights as Hoodwink.

I think it should be E-Blade > Boomerang > Bushwhack > Sharpshooter then acorn shot after

Or potentially Acorn > Bushwhack > Eblade > boomerang > sharpshooter

Something else I realised is that Sharpshooter only takes 3 seconds to hit max damage.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Sab669 posted:

Also just the anime is dumb and bad, the hero concept is extremely boring, and the sound of her ulti gives me PTSD. I just irrationally hate everything about her.

That's rational.

jsoh
Mar 24, 2007

O Muhammad, I seek your intercession with my Lord for the return of my eyesight

CyberPingu posted:

After reading and testing this is correct.

It amplifies bushwhack damage, and sharpshooter damage but not acorn shot.

But would potentially amplify maelstrom damage from an acorn proc I guess...

Just trying to think of how I approach fights as Hoodwink.

I think it should be E-Blade > Boomerang > Bushwhack > Sharpshooter then acorn shot after

Or potentially Acorn > Bushwhack > Eblade > boomerang > sharpshooter

Something else I realised is that Sharpshooter only takes 3 seconds to hit max damage.

the proper combo is to be in position already, start charging sharpshooter then boomerang eblade bushwack and fire the sharpshooter while they are still stunned so youcant miss

Geight
Aug 7, 2010

Oh, All-Knowing One, behold me!
Yeah very important to remember you can still cast your other spells while sharpshooter is charging (and also that being stunned/silenced does not stop sharpshooter from charging)

jsoh
Mar 24, 2007

O Muhammad, I seek your intercession with my Lord for the return of my eyesight
and dying just fires it

RisqueBarber
Jul 10, 2005

seen people going 1 in acorn and maxing scurry after bushwhack seemed weird at first but now i get it

Copper For Lyfe
Jun 1, 2011

Oodles posted:

What’s the counter? Just disable him as much as you can?

The shard is so powerful because it has a 100% proc chance on all targeted spells. So everytime lion or rubick or shaman cast a spell on him, he shits out aoe damage and heals himself.

Aoe stuns and slows are your best form of lockdown, so lina, hood and snapfire are good for lockdown.

As mentioned, break is really good too, so silver edge carriers will help, hood ult is good too.

His shard only has an 18% proc chance other wise. It's the 100% proc on targeted spells that kills your team and heals him to full

Love Stole the Day
Nov 4, 2012
Please give me free quality professional advice so I can be a baby about it and insult you

Mr.Acula posted:

this game makes me want to shoot myself in the face

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

You should probably uninstall DOTA

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

Sab669 posted:

You should probably uninstall DOTA

:hmmyes:

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

:o:
I played two games as core last night and found them incredibly more frustrating than my usual support efforts. I'm awful at last hitting but when I try the role, we end up with supports that never buy sentries against Riki/Potm/Shadow Blade Sniper.

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!
I literally always have dust as support even if there's no immediate reason too.

Catching someone running into an invisible rune with an unexpected dust is a good dota feeling

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

RealityWarCriminal posted:

I played two games as core last night and found them incredibly more frustrating than my usual support efforts. I'm awful at last hitting but when I try the role, we end up with supports that never buy sentries against Riki/Potm/Shadow Blade Sniper.

"Every time I play Support the Carry is a braindead idiot always on the wrong side of the map, then I play carry and the Support has no idea how to stack, pull, or even buy wards" is just classic DOTA :(

Admittedly I did have one game over the weekend where Me [Omni 4] and Dazzle 5 were both terrible about buying wards early game :v: But it was definitely a "losing is a group effort" kinda game where all of us were just doing dumb poo poo. We had like 2 wards in our Triangle, 1 got de-warded and 3 of us were huddled around the ancient camp by our other Ward... Meanwhile Shadow Friend and Faceless Void still just farming in the other jungle acting all surprised when they got 5 man ganked after we just commented about being de-warded and obviously they were on our side of the map

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!
The only thing I get genuinely mad about in dota games is people stacking stuns

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

I just started buying my own wards if they don't. It's 50g to not only stop you losing 300 if you die but also you get gold for dwwarding too

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

JollyBoyJohn posted:

The only thing I get genuinely mad about in dota games is people stacking stuns

"We just killed all 5 of them let's push a tow....no guys please don't go off jungling...we can push top out when we take this tower ...ah ffs they have respawned and we have made no progress"

Mr.Acula
May 10, 2009

Billions and billions of fat clouds

omg stop crying

this 'INSERT HERO NAME'

wow do you ever stop talking?

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

:o:
I have no problem with buying wards but it is hard to find the balance between buying and placing wards and hoovering up creepwaves for my Radiance timing.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

my favorite is the complaints about attempts at team communication for coordination

"hey guys do we wanna group up and do X?"

"stfu nerd you're so annoying"

for a team-based multiplayer game some people are incredibly hostile to the concept of teamwork and communication

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

I have no problem with buying wards but it is hard to find the balance between buying and placing wards and hoovering up creepwaves for my Radiance timing.

Yeah I get that, I try and time it with going to do jungle camps..

Side note but the amount of Slark players that don't buy sentries is insane

Amp
Sep 10, 2010

:11tea::bubblewoop::agesilaus::megaman::yoshi::squawk::supaburn::iit::spooky::axe::honked::shroom::smugdog::sg::pkmnwhy::parrot::screamy::tubular::corsair::sanix::yeeclaw::hayter::flip::redflag:

Perhaps it is time you find a new hobby.

Cerepol
Dec 2, 2011

CyberPingu posted:

Yeah I get that, I try and time it with going to do jungle camps..

Side note but the amount of Slark players that don't buy sentries is insane

Why do i need sentries as slark??? Did you not see my mass pinging when i slowed down???

Hiveminded
Aug 26, 2014

bawfuls posted:

my favorite is the complaints about attempts at team communication for coordination

"hey guys do we wanna group up and do X?"

"stfu nerd you're so annoying"

for a team-based multiplayer game some people are incredibly hostile to the concept of teamwork and communication

Don't bother with "passive" styles of communication, order them around firmly and straightforwardly like you're their foreman and they'll blow up the wrong orphanage without your direction. dota dogs will reject you at the first sign of weakness. or play with a stack of friends

Schrute Nation
May 29, 2007
Ha,Ha...Thought you could keep me out didja?

CyberPingu posted:

"We just killed all 5 of them let's push a tow....no guys please don't go off jungling...we can push top out when we take this tower ...ah ffs they have respawned and we have made no progress"

This one especially hurts as a 5 main.

And saying that your ~300g away from your item is an even better reason to push the lane, probably get the tower, and taking farm away from the enemy.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Hiveminded posted:

Don't bother with "passive" styles of communication, order them around firmly and straightforwardly like you're their foreman and they'll blow up the wrong orphanage without your direction. dota dogs will reject you at the first sign of weakness. or play with a stack of friends
lol that gets the same response in pubs, essentially "sftu noob just play your game"

but yes one of many reasons I prefer to play with friends

Cicadalek
May 8, 2006

Trite, contrived, mediocre, milquetoast, amateurish, infantile, cliche-and-gonorrhea-ridden paean to conformism, eye-fucked me, affront to humanity, war crime, should *literally* be tried for war crimes, talentless fuckfest, pedantic, listless, savagely boring, just one repulsive laugh after another
Sometimes I think every other copy of the game has shipped with this fun minigame you can play while you're dead, and the way you win the minigame is by pinging the enemy items. That is my only explanation for the frequency with which people ping the items that were just used to kill us.

Earthshaker has a blink dagger you say? Thanks man, I had no idea. I mean he did just appear on our team and ult us, but I just assumed they gave him QoP blink in the last patch. The enemy carry has several big damage items? Woah, how did you find that out? I saw they just killed our entire team with right clicks, but that might just be because they're a Libra.

ILL Machina
Mar 25, 2004

:italy: Glory to Italia! :italy:

Ayy!! This text is-a the color of marinara! Ohhhh!! Dat's amore!!

Cicadalek posted:

Sometimes I think every other copy of the game has shipped with this fun minigame you can play while you're dead, and the way you win the minigame is by pinging the enemy items. That is my only explanation for the frequency with which people ping the items that were just used to kill us.

Earthshaker has a blink dagger you say? Thanks man, I had no idea. I mean he did just appear on our team and ult us, but I just assumed they gave him QoP blink in the last patch. The enemy carry has several big damage items? Woah, how did you find that out? I saw they just killed our entire team with right clicks, but that might just be because they're a Libra.

Yeah but there is also JerAx

Geight
Aug 7, 2010

Oh, All-Knowing One, behold me!

Cicadalek posted:

If you really wanna make these dudes mad you should let em know they can check enemy inventories before their hero dies

Mr.Acula
May 10, 2009

Billions and billions of fat clouds

Speaking at all? Youre crying irl

ItohRespectArmy
Sep 11, 2019

Cutest In The World, Six Time DDT Ironheavymetalweight champion, Two Time International Princess champion, winner of two tournaments, a Princess Tag Team champion, And a pretty good singer too!
"When I was an idol, I felt nothing every day but now that I'm a pro wrestler I'm in pain constantly!"

im pretty ok at carry and pretty ok at support

perfectly mediocre and adequate at dota

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

Lol I started a massive slap fight between our offlaner and mid in a game the other night

Pinged that PA had a battle fury when she showed ok the map. Wasn't a particularly quick BF, legit think it was nearly 20 mins before they got it, I just wanted my team to know her item progression. But when I pinged that the offlaner went "Yeah no loving poo poo this is what happens when our garbage mid doesn't gank and just let's the PA free farm"
The mid was obviously not happy with this and they spent the rest of the game just taking shots at each other

Oodles
Oct 31, 2005

I like to use this game as therapy, I can say all the things that I’ve got bottled up; and 9 oo 10 times they don’t speak English, so it just washes over them.

Penopt

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nfcknblvbl
Jul 15, 2002

https://clips.twitch.tv/JollyBlitheAlmondDoubleRainbow-a9kKd0dPk-qAqwLf