Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

It is absolutely remarkable that there's a dumber billionaire, alleged or otherwise, that has taken "saying the quiet part out loud" about attempting overt authoritarianism in the US to higher levels than :smugdon:.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

facialimpediment posted:

Meanwhile, in the middle of the World Cup final, twitter is officially locking people onto the platform:

https://twitter.com/mattdpearce/status/1604533596026462215?t=ZS98aDxty7ceZiKpgpaQXQ&s=19

My read is that this basically kills off link aggregators and drat near anything that's going to anything more than a patreon. All because Lonnie didn't want people to know where his jet is.

This is really one of those gigantic steps that will make creators with massive followings outright leave. Like anyone with even an Instagram link in their bio is now hosed.

I'm disinclined to leave twitter voluntarily, but I'd happily eat a ban because I have a mastodon link in my Bio.

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns

ASAPI posted:

We are going to have to post screen shots of tweets if anyone wants to actually see them. This is already gone.

Apologies, he locked the account (or had been locked and I didn't notice):

quote:

lonnie's gonna backtrack on this one (somehow) because his base is now conservative grifters who link to everything

https://twitter.com/INArteCarloDoss/status/1604526436102045698?t=0DCcDgQyC19aHjtmX7laAQ&s=19

facialimpediment fucked around with this message at 21:07 on Dec 18, 2022

ASAPI
Apr 20, 2007
I invented the line.

No worries, at this point I don't know what's been deleted/removed by whom anymore. About 25% of the Twitter links I've seen today are gone.

I thought Elon was at Twitter HQ "fixing" things, not the world cup.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug
Funding secured from the son in law of the worst businessman/scam artist? Lmao, good luck with that.

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

BadOptics posted:

"Hmmm....wonder what this man's politics are?" - The NY Times

https://twitter.com/ragipsoylu/status/1604552044127301633?s=20&t=3g6yw4GYWfWDsB-ReZtCFQ

Lol, tough to tell

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

Oh, he's doing the pre-capture Tony Stark

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

facialimpediment posted:

Meanwhile, in the middle of the World Cup final, twitter is officially locking people onto the platform:

https://twitter.com/mattdpearce/status/1604533596026462215?t=ZS98aDxty7ceZiKpgpaQXQ&s=19

My read is that this basically kills off link aggregators and drat near anything that's going to anything more than a patreon. All because Lonnie didn't want people to know where his jet is.

This is really one of those gigantic steps that will make creators with massive followings outright leave. Like anyone with even an Instagram link in their bio is now hosed.

https://twitter.com/elonmusk/status/1533616384747442176

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

He can use the new rule to instantly suspend anyone he wants. They would probably even do it if you removed the instagram link from your bio, and say it was “retroactive”

Also I would assume someone can reports an account they don’t like, if it has an Instagram or FB link in the bio, and get it suspended.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
Report libs of tiktok for having tiktok in their name. It's advertising.

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

Hahaa, I love how TikTok was conspicuously missing from the list of competitors you can’t link to or put in your username

Both because it would mean they’d have to ban Raichik, and also because Elon doesn’t want to piss off China, where he has a factory

BadOptics
Sep 11, 2012

Man, for a "free speech absolutist" he spends a lot of time glad handing authoritarians.

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns
Essentially this is the counterargument to the "delete your Twitter account". Clyde posted a "should I step down as CEO yes/no" poll (he's currently losing) and is also openly walking back some of the dumb rule changes (or not, who knows). And so, generally everyone is thinking "oh, he already has a new CEO picked". But!

https://twitter.com/KT_So_It_Goes/status/1604632238968262659?t=fI-sFmy6IszhvDZ1SNuSWQ&s=19

I've been on Team Hesuptosomething whenever this dumb poo poo happens, but I'm coming around to:

https://twitter.com/joshtpm/status/1604628012179283973?t=ggdicIsMulyGueVtHfDCtw&s=19

And so you shouldn't delete your Twitter account quite yet. He's making zero money from your account, possibly even losing some. Deleting Facebook accounts made sense since they were selling data and serving you high-paid ads. Lonnie's hemmoraging money and his narcissistic brain is desperately flailing around because of it.

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

too dumb to be probated; not too dumb to be autobanned
or you can just delete your twitter account and not think about this hth

Hekk
Oct 12, 2012

'smeper fi

maffew buildings posted:

The thing that made me stop following all this poo poo so closely was when I actually tried to tell my very not-online wife about some of the dumb things Musk was doing. She just kind of stared at me blankly for a bit and finally said "Why do you care about any of this stuff?" and I didn't really have an answer.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
https://twitter.com/bestofdyingtwit/status/1604625986242240512

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

facialimpediment posted:

Essentially this is the counterargument to the "delete your Twitter account". Clyde posted a "should I step down as CEO yes/no" poll (he's currently losing) and is also openly walking back some of the dumb rule changes (or not, who knows). And so, generally everyone is thinking "oh, he already has a new CEO picked". But!

https://twitter.com/KT_So_It_Goes/status/1604632238968262659?t=fI-sFmy6IszhvDZ1SNuSWQ&s=19

I've been on Team Hesuptosomething whenever this dumb poo poo happens, but I'm coming around to:

https://twitter.com/joshtpm/status/1604628012179283973?t=ggdicIsMulyGueVtHfDCtw&s=19

And so you shouldn't delete your Twitter account quite yet. He's making zero money from your account, possibly even losing some. Deleting Facebook accounts made sense since they were selling data and serving you high-paid ads. Lonnie's hemmoraging money and his narcissistic brain is desperately flailing around because of it.

Don't delete it. But certainly don't use it. At the end of the day, though, there is no reclaiming Twitter. Its Musk's Far Right paradise. And he's only getting worse.

quote:

I really despise this idea some people have about the need to stay on Twitter "to fight". To fight what? This isn't a war where ground is won or lost. The platform is wholly and unquestionably owned by the person you're trying to fight against. He has shown he doesn't care about loss of advertisers, loss of respect, loss of users. Twitter is now nothing but his personal alt-right cult. The only valid reason to stay is to assist others in leaving. If you're generating any other forms of content, you're simply enabling him to radicalize *your* userbase.

-Marcus Hutchins

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
The last few years have proven that Twitter shouldn't exist anyway. There's no value in having an Internet Account; humans aren't equipped to handle anyone in the world of 7 billion people being able to personally reach out to you at any given time. Social media should be balkanized into separate networks catered to specific groups of people instead of this one size fits all thing where the worst of everything just poisons whatever good exists. Our lives are not enriched when a swarm of swifties descend on someone making a viral joke about Taylor Swift or when some idiot concern trolls you out of nowhere about something you care about when they have 0 knowledge and 0 stake in it.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Eej posted:

The last few years have proven that Twitter shouldn't exist anyway. There's no value in having an Internet Account; humans aren't equipped to handle anyone in the world of 7 billion people being able to personally reach out to you at any given time. Social media should be balkanized into separate networks catered to specific groups of people instead of this one size fits all thing where the worst of everything just poisons whatever good exists. Our lives are not enriched when a swarm of swifties descend on someone making a viral joke about Taylor Swift or when some idiot concern trolls you out of nowhere about something you care about when they have 0 knowledge and 0 stake in it.

Humans will gently caress everything up, I don't think that's very different from the town squares of old to the social media networks of new.

Discussion Quorum
Dec 5, 2002
Armchair Philistine

Hekk posted:

The thing that made me stop following all this poo poo so closely was when I actually tried to tell my very not-online wife about some of the dumb things Musk was doing. She just kind of stared at me blankly for a bit and finally said "Why do you care about any of this stuff?" and I didn't really have an answer.

It's still worth following to me because it's funny but I've long since stopped discussing it with anyone irl. Most don't care and those that do are generally fully dug in for Musk being the savior of humanity. It's just trash tier entertainment for nerds like me. Twitter will probably be gone soon and nobody will remember any of this outside of Harvard MBA case studies in 20 years.

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

too dumb to be probated; not too dumb to be autobanned
I just hope people at large take the right message away from seeing how not cool being terminally online is from all this (lol, lmao)

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

maffew buildings posted:

I just hope people at large take the right message away from seeing how not cool being terminally online is from all this (lol, lmao)

just where the gently caress do you think you are

Grip it and rip it
Apr 28, 2020
People at large still love Elon because he is rich and they don't give a gently caress about what webmasters do with their dumbshit websites.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

maffew buildings posted:

Yeah I just did this. The takes begging me not to delete my account to somehow stick it to him are pretty cringe. Just gtfo of bird themed Stormfront

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe
He's trying to find a fall guy. Twitter is sinking fast and this is how he's going to personally be able to pass the blame on to someone else. It's everyone's duty to vote no so he can go down with the ship.

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns
The Lorenz article is now out:

https://twitter.com/BrianMFloyd/status/1604665483118407681

Bottom line is this bit:

quote:

Using a video of the incident that Musk posted to Twitter, The Post identified the owner of the car involved and then the driver shown in the video who had rented it through the car-sharing service Turo.

The car’s renter, Brandon Collado, confirmed in interviews with The Post that he was the person shown in the video. He also provided The Post with videos he shot of Musk’s security guard that matched the one Musk had posted to Twitter.

In his conversations with The Post, Collado acknowledged he has an interest in Musk and the mother of two of Musk’s children, the musician known as Grimes, whose real name is Claire Elise Boucher. Boucher lives in a house near the gas station.

In his communications with The Post, Collado, who said he was a driver for Uber Eats, also made several bizarre and unsupported claims, including that he believed Boucher was sending him coded messages through her Instagram posts; that Musk was monitoring his real-time location; and that Musk could control Uber Eats to block him from receiving delivery orders. He said he was in Boucher’s neighborhood to work for Uber Eats.

Musk did not respond to emailed and tweeted requests from The Post to discuss the incident. Boucher did not respond to requests for comment.

So this all has literally zero to do with the ElonJet stuff (not surprising) and everything to do with a classic stalker of Grimes and the kids (I'm actually surprised)! Classic "she's talking to me in coded messages!!!" stalker creepo poo poo that has literally nothing to do with twitter as it's entirely local.

Edit: and scene

https://twitter.com/KT_So_It_Goes/status/1604671715530997761?t=tZ_4-A9w8bYp656jPAMr8A&s=19

facialimpediment fucked around with this message at 03:57 on Dec 19, 2022

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

A.o.D. posted:

just where the gently caress do you think you are

People can be terminally online on Something Awful as well, of course. But I think there's a big difference between being on this internet forum with a limited and paid membership, compared to the world at large on twitter.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
The "rules" Musk is making mean sweet gently caress-all. It's every authoritarian leader ever. He's enforcing them against targets he doesn't like and ignoring anyone on the right team. Then maybe he'll make up some poo poo afterwards to justify what he did and smile if people point out the hypocrisy.

Twitter is the alt-right playground now. They enjoy people getting mad at their hypocrisy, it means they're attacking the proper targets.

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns
Looking like one of the new Republican congressfuckers out of New York is a complete and utter bullshitter, past the usual levels of bullshittery seen in politics:

https://twitter.com/AaronBlake/status/1604826201746546689?t=ifGYEYlCo4S2jlJcXxRdug&s=19

Whole thing is worth a solid read, as no paper trail seems to exist for how exactly this guy made any money and/or if the dude even existed at the places he's cited over time. Couldn't even find any trace of the dude at the address he registered to vote at!

facialimpediment fucked around with this message at 14:34 on Dec 19, 2022

Prop Wash
Jun 12, 2010

facialimpediment posted:

Counterpoint: you should delete your twitter account. Elon Musk is spending money to buy attention, which seems to be the only real use for it that he's ever found anyway. Dude clearly enjoys being the center of attention and negative seems to be just as good as positive, and if he needs positive attention he'll just hit up the cadre of far-right extremists that he's fallen in with. He's clearly loving this messy drama in particular, and you all seem to be loving it too, based on the frequency by which too-online people post every god drat thing he says in as many places as you can find the way punk bands used to cover every single inch of telephone pole with flyers

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Prop Wash posted:

Counterpoint: you should delete your twitter account. Elon Musk is spending money to buy attention, which seems to be the only real use for it that he's ever found anyway. Dude clearly enjoys being the center of attention and negative seems to be just as good as positive, and if he needs positive attention he'll just hit up the cadre of far-right extremists that he's fallen in with. He's clearly loving this messy drama in particular, and you all seem to be loving it too, based on the frequency by which too-online people post every god drat thing he says in as many places as you can find the way punk bands used to cover every single inch of telephone pole with flyers

Don't delete it, just stop using it. If you delete it, it frees up the name.

Just, lock it and leave it. Use a mass delete system to wipe out all your old tweets, update the bio, and walk.

piL
Sep 20, 2007
(__|\\\\)
Taco Defender
https://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-64023249

quote:

The Thai navy says 31 sailors are missing after a warship carrying more than 100 crew capsized and sank during a storm in the Gulf of Thailand.

The HTMS Sukhothai sank after water flooded its power controls on Sunday night. Images shared by the navy showed some crew who survived in a life raft.

On Monday, authorities said they had rescued 75 sailors, but 31 were still missing in rough seas.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
If Musk’s submarine resurfaces for this Thai disaster, I just might die laughing.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

What are the yellow checkmarks and why does Twitter's own support account not have a blue one?

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

facialimpediment posted:

Looking like one of the new Republican congressfuckers out of New York is a complete and utter bullshitter, past the usual levels of bullshittery seen in politics:

https://twitter.com/AaronBlake/status/1604826201746546689?t=ifGYEYlCo4S2jlJcXxRdug&s=19

Whole thing is worth a solid read, as no paper trail seems to exist for how exactly this guy made any money and/or if the dude even existed at the places he's cited over time. Couldn't even find any trace of the dude at the address he registered to vote at!

Sounds like the sort of thing a competent state Democratic party should have uncovered during opposition research.

The NYT, of course, wouldn't be expected to find this out since it isn't about a Clinton.

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns

CBJSprague24 posted:

What are the yellow checkmarks and why does Twitter's own support account not have a blue one?

Yellow checkmarks are apparently businesses. Lonnie's big, dumb idea to somehow reprogram everyone's brains that the blue checks don't signify authenticity anymore.

Stultus Maximus posted:

Sounds like the sort of thing a competent state Democratic party should have uncovered during opposition research.

The NYT, of course, wouldn't be expected to find this out since it isn't about a Clinton.

Gets better too - this dude ran in 2020, lost, then won in 2022 in a Biden +6ish seat. The NY State Democratic party being terribad is basically why the House flipped.

Naramyth
Jan 22, 2009

Australia cares about cunts. Including this one.

facialimpediment posted:

Yellow checkmarks are apparently businesses. Lonnie's big, dumb idea to somehow reprogram everyone's brains that the blue checks don't signify authenticity anymore.

Gets better too - this dude ran in 2020, lost, then won in 2022 in a Biden +6ish seat. The NY State Democratic party being terribad is basically why the House flipped.

The seat really isn’t a Biden seat anymore. NY unilaterally disarmed by doing an independent gerrymander instead of the dems just writing their own map. Literally they would still have the federal house if they didn’t do that.

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns

Naramyth posted:

The seat really isn’t a Biden seat anymore. NY unilaterally disarmed by doing an independent gerrymander instead of the dems just writing their own map. Literally they would still have the federal house if they didn’t do that.

From what I've seen so far in post-election analysis, democratic turnout in NY State was so lovely that even the proposed NYDem gerrymandered map that got killed by the NY Supreme Court wouldn't have mattered much.

And I got the numbers slightly wrong - the redrawn district went Biden +9 in 2020 (ballotpedia) and Cook Political has it D+6. Turnout was so poo poo, because the state party sucks, that the commission's map didn't actually matter. That's also why most of the prognosticators think all of the seats shift back democratic in 2024 in a general electorate versus off-year.

The Floridian gerrymander likely mattered more - NY just sucked because turnout/state party sucked.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Is there an article that gives a decent timeline and background on the whole Musk Twitter saga so far? A friend of mine wasn't aware of his frantic backpedaling and trying to get out of the purchase.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Soylent Pudding
Jun 22, 2007

We've got people!

Let's not underestimate just how badly the FL Dems suck either. Their plan to stop DeSantis was to run a republican.