Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

limp dick calvin
Sep 1, 2006

Strepitoso. Vedete? Una meraviglia.
There’s bad pizza styles

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

naem
May 29, 2011

Foo Diddley posted:

if i just honestly explain what happened, i'm sure the authorities will understand and go easy on me. i mean, it always worked with mom and dad

our entire current generation of ruling class right here

rich men’s kids driving us off a cliff

Squiggle
Sep 29, 2002

I don't think she likes the special sauce, Rick.

Foo Diddley posted:

if i just honestly explain what happened, i'm sure the authorities will understand and go easy on me. i mean, it always worked with mom and dad

That and his unphased “It’s okay, I will deal with it" in jail are the actions of a grown man who has never, ever had something go wrong that his parents didn't bail him out of.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Cacafuego posted:

Holmes got 11, didn’t she? Balwani got 13

Oh, my bad sorry, you're right of course

Zopotantor
Feb 24, 2013

...und ist er drin dann lassen wir ihn niemals wieder raus...

Foo Diddley posted:

My dad was a public prosecutor, and it definitely didn’t work with him. "Qui se excusat, se accusat" and that sort of thing.

Ups_rail
Dec 8, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
Elon is live talking about ftx and bitcoin

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cCa4BpU4jmc

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!

Ups_rail posted:

I don't think this event is live. Just a hunch.

TontoCorazon
Aug 18, 2007

Ups_rail posted:

Yeah those are fake videos to scam more idiots

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

TontoCorazon posted:

Yeah those are fake videos to scam more idiots

What? You're saying that channel isn't legit?

Scam Likely
Feb 19, 2021

drat if you fell for that you'd better double check your bank accounts asap.

Ups_rail
Dec 8, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Scam Likely posted:

drat if you fell for that you'd better double check your bank accounts asap.

Welp I feel stupid.

Edit best USER NAME POST COMBO

Oscar Wild
Apr 11, 2006

It's good to be a G
Sam Bankman-Zaurg

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
Well he did have it all in a spreadsheet.

notwithoutmyanus
Mar 17, 2009
Would be interesting if it happens.
https://cryptonews.net/news/legal/17914061/

During a recent appearance on NBC’s “Meet the Press,” Sen. Sherrod Brown (D-Ohio), the head of the Senate Committee on Banking, Housing, and Urban Affairs, said that banning cryptocurrencies might be on the table.

However, he acknowledged that completely prohibiting cryptocurrencies would be challenging. “Maybe banning it, although banning it is very difficult because it will go offshore and who knows how that will work,” the lawmaker said.

Ups_rail
Dec 8, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

notwithoutmyanus posted:

However, he acknowledged that completely prohibiting cryptocurrencies would be challenging. “Maybe banning it, although banning it is very difficult because it will go offshore and who knows how that will work,” the lawmaker said.

Maybe just ban tether

Elden Lord Godfrey
Mar 4, 2022

Ups_rail posted:

lmfao a goon got snookered by this obvious loving scam. at least they weren't contributing to this scam's bottom line

There is an entire ecosystem of scammers around Elon Musk preying on Linkedin wannabes. Obviously there are the E10n Mu5ks that reply to his threads hawking links that tell you to send them cryptocurrency. Then there are the more sophisticated scams, like this one, where you have an old video of musk saying meaningless nonsense, while a scrolling list of fake accounts in live chat go "wow!", and the owner of the account will hawk these aforementioned links.

You only need to ensnare one sucker and drain them of a few bitcoin before you've made a profit. These things aren't that expensive to operate, and alot of them are operated by cybercriminal gangs outside of english speaking countries.

And these things are getting more advanced. Now they're using deepfakes of Elon videos, and in the future that the video's live chat will be powered by ChatGPT or similar AIs. That's the real threat of these mindless chatbot AIs, pushing out meaningless verbal diarrhea and snookering in distracted and gullible marks.

HJE-Cobra
Jul 15, 2007

Bear Witness

Hell Gem

Ups_rail posted:

Lol wasn't this while Elon was in Qatar to watch the World Cup

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

https://twitter.com/molly0xfff/status/1603922405952573442?s=46&t=y1GY-O9B4vGgQ5MGRB5aOQ

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
what was Riot doing for them in turn?

Elden Lord Godfrey
Mar 4, 2022
considering that the lol community's response to arcane was to tell people to *not* play lol, unlike that of cp2077 telling people how to make builds based off the characters from edgerunners, i think riot's reputation cant really drop further

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
didn't people like arcane

Elden Lord Godfrey
Mar 4, 2022
they did! it won an award for a reason

but sympathy and morality compels lol players to tell prospective players to not play league of legends

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
I don't even understand how people can play things like LoL in the first place. Every time I tried a MOBA it made me wish for death. Not mine specifically, just death in general.

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

I don't even understand how people can play things like LoL in the first place. Every time I tried a MOBA it made me wish for death. Not mine specifically, just death in general.

there's a shocking overlap of league players and bitcoin enthusiasts. basically it's a game for bagholders.

Deki
May 12, 2008

It's Hammer Time!

Elden Lord Godfrey posted:

considering that the lol community's response to arcane was to tell people to *not* play lol, unlike that of cp2077 telling people how to make builds based off the characters from edgerunners, i think riot's reputation cant really drop further

I've never played LoL, what did Riot do to piss off their fanbase?

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

Deki posted:

Oh they're just like that. It attracts a certain kind of personality. They were gatekeeping because a popular TV show set in the game's universe drew in a lot of interest from new players.

Scam Likely
Feb 19, 2021

LifeSunDeath posted:

there's a shocking overlap of league players and bitcoin enthusiasts. basically it's a game for bagholders.

Knowing nothing about, am I right in assuming it involves a poo poo ton of loot boxes, gambling mechanics, in game currencies that can be purchased with USD, and monotonous grinding gameplay predicated on feeling digitally superior to other players through gaudy prestige items?

Also assuming its "free" to play, like CS:GO and World of Warships except if you dont cough up cash you're basically chummed krill for the whales.

BoldFace
Feb 28, 2011
https://twitter.com/jasonschreier/status/1604836175478398976

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day

LMAO why the gently caress would you pivot into NFTs now after everything is in fireball mode.

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!

LifeSunDeath posted:

LMAO why the gently caress would you pivot into NFTs now after everything is in fireball mode.

Given that the "startup behind bored ape" is a pretty obvious crypto-fascist shell, I have some theories

naem
May 29, 2011

Scratch Monkey
Oct 25, 2010

👰Proč bychom se netěšili🥰když nám Pán Bůh🙌🏻zdraví dá💪?
My guess is that they dumped a bunch of filthy fiat on him to get him to come over and lend some amount of legitimacy to their cartoon monkey scam and his plan is to squeeze the company for what he can, leave with a golden parachute when it falls apart, and then move on to be CEO of another company with the comment of "I tried my best to right that ship but their business model was beyond salvage by the time I got there."

Honestly NFTs are technically the most honest of all these dumb crypto based schemes. When you spend way, way too much to buy these digital beanie babies you get exactly what you're told you'll get: a block on the chain that has a URL to a monkey jpg. No more. No less. Refreshingly straightforward for crypto.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Scratch Monkey posted:

My guess is that they dumped a bunch of filthy fiat on him to get him to come over and lend some amount of legitimacy to their cartoon monkey scam and his plan is to squeeze the company for what he can, leave with a golden parachute when it falls apart, and then move on to be CEO of another company with the comment of "I tried my best to right that ship but their business model was beyond salvage by the time I got there."

Honestly NFTs are technically the most honest of all these dumb crypto based schemes. When you spend way, way too much to buy these digital beanie babies you get exactly what you're told you'll get: a block on the chain that has a URL to a monkey jpg. No more. No less. Refreshingly straightforward for crypto.

Its this. He's getting paid in USD, and he's just being used as a way to launder their reputation.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

CommieGIR posted:

Its this. He's getting paid in USD, and he's just being used as a way to launder their reputation.

lmao that their idea of hiring someone respectable to launder their reputation is the acti-blizz c-suite

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Trillhouse posted:

it's just nice to see "never talk without a lawyer" be validated by some of his statements after the crash showing up in the indictments. people were seriously thinking he was getting away with it and that his stupid "plan" was working. meanwhile, actual lawyers were like "woah he just gave mens rea out. just blurted it out."
the mainstream fashionable opinion is 'nothing matters, you always get away with crime no matter what' for some reason

This is probably due to Trump but I remember it before 2016 too.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Cyrano4747 posted:

lmao that their idea of hiring someone respectable to launder their reputation is the acti-blizz c-suite

Well, it is NFTs, so they are not smart. They probably also don't have much choice, as less and less reputable execs want to be associated with NFTs/Crypto

CommieGIR fucked around with this message at 16:30 on Dec 19, 2022

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Nessus posted:

the mainstream fashionable opinion is 'nothing matters, you always get away with crime no matter what' for some reason

This is probably due to Trump but I remember it before 2016 too.
The reason is it keeps happening*

*assuming you're a member of capitalism's aristocracy and/or you only hurt the filthy poors.

Even when they do go to jail it's to special rich people jail for a token amount of time. Unless they really upset their fellow rich in which case it's to special rich people jail forever.

Splicer fucked around with this message at 16:29 on Dec 19, 2022

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Deki posted:

I suspect it has more to do with the fact that LoL and other MOBAs are hostile to new players because you're practically guaranteed to lose your game if you get stuck with someone on your team who is still learning the ropes.

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

I deeply respect you as a human being... Some day I'm gonna make you *Mrs* Buck Turgidson!

Grimey Drawer

Scam Likely posted:

Knowing nothing about, am I right in assuming it involves a poo poo ton of loot boxes, gambling mechanics, in game currencies that can be purchased with USD, and monotonous grinding gameplay predicated on feeling digitally superior to other players through gaudy prestige items?

Also assuming its "free" to play, like CS:GO and World of Warships except if you dont cough up cash you're basically chummed krill for the whales.

nah pretty much none of this is true except that you have to play a lot to achieve a high rank, but that doesn't really change how powerful you are in a game at all and any gambling elements are all purely cosmetic

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Rotten Red Rod posted:

I suspect it has more to do with the fact that LoL and other MOBAs are hostile to new players because you're practically guaranteed to lose your game if you get stuck with someone on your team who is still learning the ropes.
You can lose in the first 3 minutes, but it doesn't actually end the game much earlier to do so.

e: game rounds can take up to an hour, though if you start losing it's more like 30 minutes. at 20 minutes IIRC you can vote to surrender, but that's still 17 minutes to verbally abuse a new player.