Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

I think I like the mastercrafted wolven gear the best. If I see some drowners waving their dicks over a treasure chest I just play a bass guitar solo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sylphosaurus
Sep 6, 2007
I enjoy the early Cat armor set because if Geralt were to roll up a packet of smokes in the sleeves of that t-shirt he looks like he'd joined a biker crew.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I'm actually surprised at how poorly this is running on DX12. It's running like the DLSS isn't actually working.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
So no performance difference with it on or off?

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Rinkles posted:

So no performance difference with it on or off?

It fluctuates so massively that I honestly can't tell. I'm averaging about 40FPS at 1080p with my 3070TI with or without DLSS on.

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause
Wore the Kear Morhen armor for White Orchard, Temerian armor set while putzing around Velen, Cat armor while in Novigrad, Bear in Skellige, finished off the game in the Netflix armor. The best defense is to not get hit. :cool:

Squatch Ambassador
Nov 12, 2008

What? Never seen a shaved Squatch before?

Arc Hammer posted:

It fluctuates so massively that I honestly can't tell. I'm averaging about 40FPS at 1080p with my 3070TI with or without DLSS on.

You could try replacing the DLSS 2.4 .dll with version 2.5.0 from here: https://www.techpowerup.com/download/nvidia-dlss-dll/, replaces the file in \The Witcher 3 Wild Hunt GOTY\bin\x64_dx12 (make a backup of the old one first)
After installing that rainy weather doesn't tank my FPS nearly as much, and DLSS artifacts on effects like sword trails aren't as bad.

Also what graphics settings? I've found having RTX + Hairworks on at the same time kills FPS so bad even DLSS doesn't really help. With my 3070ti I''m getting an average of 52 fps @ 1440p with these settings: High preset (detail and terrain on ultra), Hairworks off, all RTX on, DLSS Balanced.

cheesetriangles
Jan 5, 2011

Arc Hammer posted:

I'm actually surprised at how poorly this is running on DX12. It's running like the DLSS isn't actually working.

You are probably cpu limited which means DLSS and lowering setting's won't actually help because your gpu isn't being maxed anyway.

ShakeZula
Jun 17, 2003

Nobody move and nobody gets hurt.

I think I might actually attempt a Death March run this time. I generally shy away from hard modes in games on account of being terrible at combat, but since I've already beaten the game 3 times I suppose it could be worth trying.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

ShakeZula posted:

I think I might actually attempt a Death March run this time. I generally shy away from hard modes in games on account of being terrible at combat, but since I've already beaten the game 3 times I suppose it could be worth trying.

It's entirely doable - and depending on your build, can be fairly easy for most of the game once you get your setup sorted out. I would recommend figuring out what style appeals to you most early on and focusing your build from the beginning. There are a handful of fights I found extremely difficult (mostly in the expansions), but once I was about 1/3 of the way through and found the half dozen or so items I really needed, most of the fights I lost were due to user error.

Good luck, curious to hear what your build will be!

Pennsylvanian
May 23, 2010

Hetman Bohdan Khmelnytsky Independent Presidential Regiment
Western Liberal Democracy or Death!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LZdwspLYRcU

Wiltsghost
Mar 27, 2011

Geralt calling a goat a stupid piece of poo poo will never not put a smile on my face.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

I've been playing this again from the start and performance with RT on high is actually tolerable as long as you turn hair fx off or down. That poo poo is rough. I think I left it on everything but turned the aa down and it's alright. Although I just tried with RT off and drat it's silky smooth.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

cheesetriangles posted:

You are probably cpu limited which means DLSS and lowering setting's won't actually help because your gpu isn't being maxed anyway.

I'm running an i5 12600k I shouldn't be getting hammered that badly by a CPU bottleneck.

I did some tweaking and I'm closer to 50fps now. 1080p, DLSS at quality, and I reduced grass density to high and LOD down from Ultra+ to just Ultra. Novigrad and Oxenfurt still chug but Velen runs a lot nicer now.

Interior spaces with lots of NPCs and light sources are the true frame killers. Also it seems that the static lighting for indoor cutscenes is still the same as before, so the new light sources don't really change the image. It can be a bit of a jump from the static lighting to the RT gameplay lighting.

The new quest at the Devil's pit is pretty good. Decent amount of Witcher detective bits and a neat conclusion.

Wiltsghost
Mar 27, 2011

Photo mode rules

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Photo mode doesn't work for me. The entire screen is covered in a red haze whenever I hit the photo mode button.

Your Brain on Hugs
Aug 20, 2006
Does Nvidia Ansel still work and let you fly around? It already had the best photo mode of any game with that.

Splorange
Feb 23, 2011

Wiltsghost posted:

Geralt calling a goat a stupid piece of poo poo will never not put a smile on my face.

Hear, hear

Also, can't wait to get my GPU upgraded so that I can flip all the switches and grind my teeth to dust over all the new performance jank :v:

I think I left the game at Toussaint out of frustration of not getting the timing right in the tournament, specifically hitting the targets from horseback. loving hell... Anyone have any tips for that?

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

-Blade

Splorange posted:

Hear, hear

Also, can't wait to get my GPU upgraded so that I can flip all the switches and grind my teeth to dust over all the new performance jank :v:

I think I left the game at Toussaint out of frustration of not getting the timing right in the tournament, specifically hitting the targets from horseback. loving hell... Anyone have any tips for that?

IIRC you can use the crossbow for the entire thing and the semi-auto aim will basically do the hard part for you. You still have to be vaguely on target, but I believe hitting the sword targets was the challenging half.

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"هذا ليس عادلاً على الإطلاق."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
(السياق الخفي: للقراءة)

Splorange posted:

Hear, hear

If you're not already, hold down your sword swing, time will slow down when you're close to the target.

Splorange
Feb 23, 2011

Shooting Blanks posted:

IIRC you can use the crossbow for the entire thing and the semi-auto aim will basically do the hard part for you. You still have to be vaguely on target, but I believe hitting the sword targets was the challenging half.

Oh yes the loving sword animation..that was it.

WhiskeyWhiskers posted:

If you're not already, hold down your sword swing, time will slow down when you're close to the target.

Huh, that might have escaped me, gonna have to give it a go.

Thanks guys!

Comte de Saint-Germain
Mar 26, 2001

Snouk but and snouk ben,
I find the smell of an earthly man,
Be he living, or be he dead,
His heart this night shall kitchen my bread.

Rinkles posted:

Are there other examples of games integrating mods into an official update? I’m sure there’s some I’m not thinking of.

id Software put out a compilation disk of Quake 2 mods at one point. This was back when internet was still young enough that it was cheaper in some cases to buy a CD rather than download your mods. (I had a mod featured on it and they paid me $500)

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
I can say for certain the DLSS frame generation appears to be completely broken. Turning it on results in a buttery smooth 120fps, in which the games is completely unplayable because it hitches constantly. Turning it off, the game runs fine, so I'm guessing it's a broken implementation.

Goddamn this game looks nice with the next-gen update though

ShakeZula
Jun 17, 2003

Shooting Blanks posted:

It's entirely doable - and depending on your build, can be fairly easy for most of the game once you get your setup sorted out. I would recommend figuring out what style appeals to you most early on and focusing your build from the beginning. There are a handful of fights I found extremely difficult (mostly in the expansions), but once I was about 1/3 of the way through and found the half dozen or so items I really needed, most of the fights I lost were due to user error.

Good luck, curious to hear what your build will be!

I've historically been pretty much entirely fast-attack-based, not doing too much with bombs and such. My last run was the first time I really dipped into the alchemy stuff and I found it to be a lot of fun, so I'll probably incorporate a lot of that again. I'm already a strong adherent to the "always use Quen" philosophy so that shouldn't be an issue. I'll probably just have to make my peace with dying more than I'm used to, and resist the temptation to turn it down in the early game.

Son of Rodney
Feb 22, 2006

ohmygodohmygodohmygod

Hotfix released, download size around 1.9 GB but it unpacks and modifies something like 35 GB, so takes a while to install. Supposedly fixes performance issues.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Son of Rodney posted:

Hotfix released, download size around 1.9 GB but it unpacks and modifies something like 35 GB, so takes a while to install. Supposedly fixes performance issues.

(before this patch) Performance has been okay for me with RT on in 4K but not great. It's good enough on a g-sync TV that I've played the first 5 or so hours of the game with everything maxed out except the tressFX which takes a huge toll. I wouldn't say it felt out of the ordinary for the performance hit you take when enabling high quality global illumination ray tracing so I am curious to see if this makes it better or if what I'm seeing is just RT being RT.

MikeC
Jul 19, 2004
BITCH ASS NARC

Son of Rodney posted:

There is no significant change to performance on RT mode. The CPU is still getting hammered on just a few cores and is the primary bottleneck. Supposedly some stuttering is better.

Just psa for those with excessive spikes in frame times, try turning on your Nvidia reflex or AMD anti-lag feature to help smooth out some of that.

Audax
Dec 1, 2005
"LOL U GOT OWNED"
I'm playing performance in PS5 vs RTX simply because I cannot do 30 fps if the higher option exists.

Bloodborne is the only game I willingly suffered through for that. I'm not 11 years old anymore running a GeForce 2 with 18 fps on CS 1.6. This old bitch had standards.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

-Blade

ShakeZula posted:

I've historically been pretty much entirely fast-attack-based, not doing too much with bombs and such. My last run was the first time I really dipped into the alchemy stuff and I found it to be a lot of fun, so I'll probably incorporate a lot of that again. I'm already a strong adherent to the "always use Quen" philosophy so that shouldn't be an issue. I'll probably just have to make my peace with dying more than I'm used to, and resist the temptation to turn it down in the early game.

Same build as me. Spoilers for what worked for me:

Lean into decoctions and skills that improve resistance to toxicity, and that increase your damage based on toxicity. The decoctions you really want are Ekimmara and Ekhidna, and then there are a handful of others to choose from after that. Grave Hag and Water Hag I know were both solid, there were a couple others I'd use but those were the main ones. Water Hag mostly - keep your vitality maxed up, dodge aggressively, and you will just end fights.

SPACE HOMOS
Jan 12, 2005

Comte de Saint-Germain posted:

id Software put out a compilation disk of Quake 2 mods at one point. This was back when internet was still young enough that it was cheaper in some cases to buy a CD rather than download your mods. (I had a mod featured on it and they paid me $500)

Extremities? I had that disk even though I had already downloaded most of them. What was your mod?

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe
Looks like fast travel anywhere and objectives on map cannot coexist. The objectives show on the map but the default fast travel behaviour stays.

Does anyone have any solution that I could try other than using the debug console to turn on fast travel and leaving the mod uninstalled?

ShakeZula
Jun 17, 2003

Shooting Blanks posted:

Same build as me. Spoilers for what worked for me:

Lean into decoctions and skills that improve resistance to toxicity, and that increase your damage based on toxicity. The decoctions you really want are Ekimmara and Ekhidna, and then there are a handful of others to choose from after that. Grave Hag and Water Hag I know were both solid, there were a couple others I'd use but those were the main ones. Water Hag mostly - keep your vitality maxed up, dodge aggressively, and you will just end fights.

Thanks for the tips! Now to see if I can actually pull it off

admataY
Oct 16, 2008
I really wish they would have added a quicksave function to the gamepad control scheme, its annoying to reach out for the keyboard every now and then just to get to my F5 button .

El Jeffe
Dec 24, 2009

admataY posted:

I really wish they would have added a quicksave function to the gamepad control scheme, its annoying to reach out for the keyboard every now and then just to get to my F5 button .

What I do for every game that has F5ing is I edit the controller configuration (on the steam side) to add a long press activator bound to F5 for the back or start button. It's a small thing that improves QoL a surprising amount. You can also make it double press if you don't like long press.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

El Jeffe posted:

What I do for every game that has F5ing is I edit the controller configuration (on the steam side) to add a long press activator bound to F5 for the back or start button. It's a small thing that improves QoL a surprising amount. You can also make it double press if you don't like long press.

I never actually messed around with the steam controller layout thing before, this is a good idea. I have the newer Xbox controller that has the extra share button on it and I can assign that to something too so I just mapped F5 to that button.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

explosivo posted:

I never actually messed around with the steam controller layout thing before, this is a good idea. I have the newer Xbox controller that has the extra share button on it and I can assign that to something too so I just mapped F5 to that button.

You’ve taken the first step into a new world of wonder. Steam Input is fantastic. It’s useful but also has gone a long way towards mitigating gamepad related RSI pains for me.

For instance, I like to bind the sprint function to the outer ring of the movement stick, because repeated use of the stick buttons is particularly painful (not practical with all games, especially where crouching is important, but it’s helped with plenty).

Games with “search pinging” bound to the stick buttons are a particular bane of mine. I initially quit AC Valhalla because it was guilty of both of these, and my hand couldn’t handle it after a few days of playing. But Steam Input came to rescue.

cheesetriangles
Jan 5, 2011

Yeah Steam input is amazing and incredibly powerful. Just wish it let you bind things to F13-F24 keys.

El Jeffe
Dec 24, 2009

That reminds me that I used to be able to alt-tab using steam input but that broke like a year ago for me. Is it that way for everyone or just me?

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

El Jeffe posted:

That reminds me that I used to be able to alt-tab using steam input but that broke like a year ago for me. Is it that way for everyone or just me?

Do you mean with xbox button + start button? That works for me. Idk if there's a way to accidentally turn off the feature, but you can customize how those shortcuts work in the settings under "guide button chord configuration"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

El Jeffe
Dec 24, 2009

Rinkles posted:

Do you mean with xbox button + start button? That works for me. Idk if there's a way to accidentally turn off the feature, but you can customize how those shortcuts work in the settings under "guide button chord configuration"

Not the xbox button, just a long press of start/back/anything using multi-button. But I've never actually messed with chords so I might just have to try your way, thanks.