Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

elden ring has damage that is extremely high though, if you have a 'correct' build you'll die in 3 hits but if you make some newbie mistake of "I will put all my points in equip load instead of hp and just wear heavier armor" you really are gonna get oneshot by stuff

Yes, and also dying in 3 hits is basically the same as dying in 1

My point, and this is just a fact not an opinion, is that there's literally, and I do mean literally, no way to level Vigor or anything else enough so that later bosses only do 10% of your health bar in damage. LITERALLY impossible. Greater minds than me have tried.

And right, if you're extremely good you can do the game at level 1. Again, not a refutation of my point here. My point, which again is just a fact, is that if you're a stupid idiot babby like me and you suck at elden ring, you as a matter of literal fact can't outlevel the damage.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

precision posted:

It would benefit greatly from a "discovery mode" like the latest AC games have

Beautiful world that insists you grind the same areas over and over unless you're gud enough to deal with everything killing you in 1 hit, thus pretty effectively burying your sense of wonder under a mountain of tedium

I would simply summon my magical double jumping horse Torrent, and ride away

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

malae fidei cum XI_XXVI_MMIX
Levelling Vigor is kind of a meme because people like the idea of glass cannon but don't like the idea of dying in one hit.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Vic posted:

Levelling Vigor is kind of a meme because people like the idea of glass cannon but don't like the idea of dying in one hit.

to be fair, you have to have a very high IQ to understand Souls games

Hollow Knight is a billion times better than any From game. a billion!!!!!

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

I found souls games vastly more manageable once I understood about leveling HP.

Precision so if I get you it's actually 'some late game bosses' that are the problem not 'everything'?

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

precision posted:

My point, and this is just a fact not an opinion, is that there's literally, and I do mean literally, no way to level Vigor or anything else enough so that later bosses only do 10% of your health bar in damage. LITERALLY impossible. Greater minds than me have tried.
I don't want to play videogames to actually look at the game art is a moot point when you can just watch a video.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

elden ring has damage that is extremely high though, if you have a 'correct' build you'll die in 3 hits but if you make some newbie mistake of "I will put all my points in equip load instead of hp and just wear heavier armor" you really are gonna get oneshot by stuff

Nah more like 2 or 3 shot by stuff.

precision posted:

lol

Devils Affricate
Jan 22, 2010

precision posted:

And right, if you're extremely good you can do the game at level 1. Again, not a refutation of my point here. My point, which again is just a fact, is that if you're a stupid idiot babby like me and you suck at elden ring, you as a matter of literal fact can't outlevel the damage.

So, Elden Ring's problem is that you have to spend too much time grinding levels, but grinding levels doesn't really do anything..?

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

precision posted:

Your original post wasn't talking about bosses, it was saying that you can't explore the beautiful world because you get 1-shot by everything unless you grind levels. Everyone is pointing out that this is objectively not true

What is true is the thing that you're bringing up just now for the first time: you can't just damage tank bosses by leveling Vigor to 9000 or whatever. If you want to damage tank then the game expects you to either use a shield or summon tanky friends (even NPC allies) with shields of their own

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

precision posted:

to be fair, you have to have a very high IQ to understand Souls games

Hollow Knight is a billion times better than any From game. a billion!!!!!

precision posted:

This second post is true for Hollow Knight, too

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

precision posted:

While exploring The Lands Between, the setting of Elden Ring, players will need to keep their health in good standing, and it's important to learn how to increase max health to stay alive longer. For players who may be new to FromSoftware's brutal yet rewarding gameplay formula, knowing how to heal might not be as simple as other video games. This guide will go over how to heal in Elden Ring, so players can go on their way to become the Elden Lord. Also, keeping that HP bar in good standing will ensure players don't lose their Runes, which are used for many important things.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

sebmojo posted:

I found souls games vastly more manageable once I understood about leveling HP.

Precision so if I get you it's actually 'some late game bosses' that are the problem not 'everything'?

Yeah exactly. I wouldn't say the first half of the game is "easy" but it was hard in a good way. If a required boss was giving me trouble I could grind until it was less punishing. The late game simply removed that. There are bosses where you just can't get hit and that is an issue for dumb idiot babbys like me

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

QuarkJets posted:

This second post is true for Hollow Knight, too

Yes, but I'm good at hollow knight!!!

roomtone
Jul 1, 2021

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 4 days!)

elden ring and from games are just not really good to talk about in general except in the case of like 'where is this', 'what is this' objective fact related sort of things, the treasure hunt mentality, because more than any game i've ever played the difficulty of them is completely subjective. they aren't tightly designed. enemies just do poo poo at you and your job is to figure out where the easiest path forward is balancing a) actual designed difficulty, b) game jank difficulty and c) what op options are available to you

it's possible to play it with knight's honour and i think a lot of people who have trouble with the games are accidentally trying to do that just because they don't know how easy the games are to break.

like i had pretty much no trouble with the game from margit until malenia, because i worked out how to basically cheat imo (hoarfrost stomp and bleed combo). but i can easily see how people who didn't happen to pick up on those things would be beating their head against a wall going WHAT, or saying the game is janky and unbalanced, which it is but it's fine, etc.

it's just a big stupid trapbox for you to run around in with some really cool areas to make you go whoah at for 40-200 hours depending on how much you lock into the process. it's not tight and it's not perfect, if it was it'd probably be less interesting because they would be a Right Way and a sense the game will play fair, but it doesn't really. so you shouldn't either.

i dunno. i've played 150 hours of it this year and if/when a dlc comes out i'll probably play another 50.

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

I liked being a purple invader in DS 3. Target lock on the host and circle strafe until you lined up behind the red invader and gently caress them over

it was incredibly fun being the wild card invader.

satanic splash-back
Jan 28, 2009

Some games are not beatable by everyone and that's good imo.

Not everyone is good at games, and reading/hearing their online reactions as they angrily find out they can't beat a game designed to be beaten makes me laugh more than any joke the game creators could possibly come up with.

And everyone who complains it's too hard for x y or z reason are some of the chef's kisses on top of a game built to allow and even encourage a ton of different and varied approaches to most encounters, without adding a difficulty level option.

They aren't perfect but theyre more mentally engaging than the "everyone can win" style of game insanely popular with the no-hand-eye-coordination or afraid to learn a game's unique mechanics crew.

satanic splash-back fucked around with this message at 23:54 on Dec 18, 2022

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

PookBear posted:

I liked being a purple invader in DS 3. Target lock on the host and circle strafe until you lined up behind the red invader and gently caress them over

it was incredibly fun being the wild card invader.

I loved purple invasions, that was a great inclusion. Loved gathering those spines

I miss Bell Guardians from DS2 too, combining that with purple invaders would be pretty sweet

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

Okay now let's do Disco Elisium

roomtone
Jul 1, 2021

by Fluffdaddy

Vic posted:

it sucks and is boring

edit:

lemme elaborate a bit 'lol i'm charles bukowski, the policeman! my mind is fragmented and constantly shits on itself, here's a bunch of horrible people, but we've considered political theory so you can't deny it ahaaaaa'

didn't like it.

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

level Physique noob

satanic splash-back
Jan 28, 2009

It's not on gamepass so it might as well not exist. Next

Devils Affricate
Jan 22, 2010

Vic posted:

We already have, many times. Why don't we talk poo poo about a new game, like Darktide? Does nobody else ITT play it?

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!
As an Elden Ring defender I will say that the “level vigor” controversy isn’t really a soulsborne thing but an Elden Ring thing. ERs enemies hit way harder compared to other From games in relation to the armor you can equip and how much health a point of the hp stat will give you. In dark souls a level or two of HP could make a big difference, but if you want “more health” in ER you have to spend waaay more points to get the same increase in survivability, which leaves you with less points for the actually fun stats of str/dex/int/fth/arc that let you use all the awesome weapons and spells. Same with Armor. In earlier games you could get a noticeable boost in your survivability by shuffling around only a few points of weight or spending some titanite to upgrade it. In ER you either go all in on the heaviest stuff in the game or you use armor solely for aesthetics.

satanic splash-back
Jan 28, 2009

galagazombie posted:

As an Elden Ring defender I will say that the “level vigor” controversy isn’t really a soulsborne thing but an Elden Ring thing. ERs enemies hit way harder compared to other From games in relation to the armor you can equip and how much health a point of the hp stat will give you. In dark souls a level or two of HP could make a big difference, but if you want “more health” in ER you have to spend waaay more points to get the same increase in survivability, which leaves you with less points for the actually fun stats of str/dex/int/fth/arc that let you use all the awesome weapons and spells. Same with Armor. In earlier games you could get a noticeable boost in your survivability by shuffling around only a few points of weight or spending some titanite to upgrade it. In ER you either go all in on the heaviest stuff in the game or you use armor solely for aesthetics.

No, you could also use anything other than melee weapons. There's a lot of them. Or post like this.

I hope the next fromsoft game goes back to almost all melee combat stuff. Like sekiro but a new take on the system, not posture.

satanic splash-back fucked around with this message at 02:46 on Dec 19, 2022

tango alpha delta
Sep 9, 2011

Ask me about my wealthy lifestyle and passive income! I love bragging about my wealth to my lessers! My opinions are more valid because I have more money than you! Stealing the fruits of the labor of the working class is okay, so long as you don't do it using crypto. More money = better than!
I enjoyed FEAR 2 over FEAR and lets not talk about FEAR 3 because it's not very good.

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!

satanic splash-back posted:

No, you could also use anything other than melee weapons. There's a lot of them. Or post like this.

I’m not sure I get you, spells all have stat requirements that vigor eats into the same as weapons.

Devils Affricate
Jan 22, 2010

satanic splash-back posted:

I hope the next fromsoft game goes back to almost all melee combat stuff. Like sekiro but a new take on the system, not posture.

The next Fromsoft game is going to be Armored Core 6, so I wouldn't count on it being mostly melee

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

The trick to elden ring is to dodge the enemy attacks, and then attack when its safe. Honestly its not a very complicated game and doesn't really require a great degree of tactics or strategy.

roomtone
Jul 1, 2021

by Fluffdaddy

Caesar Saladin posted:

The trick to elden ring is to dodge the enemy attacks, and then attack when its safe. Honestly its not a very complicated game and doesn't really require a great degree of tactics or strategy.

look pal why don't you just fffff

just fffff

rrrr. ffffffffffffffffffffffff.

Devils Affricate
Jan 22, 2010

Caesar Saladin posted:

That's all well and good, but what if I'm a complete idiot baby loser who's bad at video games? If I insult myself enough, surely that means this game is badly designed and objectively too difficult, right?

satanic splash-back
Jan 28, 2009

Devils Affricate posted:

The next Fromsoft game is going to be Armored Core 6, so I wouldn't count on it being mostly melee

Cool, I know I'll be disappointed from the start.

Vampire Panties
Apr 18, 2001
nposter
Nap Ghost

Caesar Saladin posted:

Dark Souls are basically dressed up rhythm games and nobody can change my mind :colbert:

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

If you think about it, all games are about pressing the right buttons at the right times

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here

Caesar Saladin posted:

If you think about it, all games are about pressing the right buttons at the right times

Big if true

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー

Caesar Saladin posted:

That was an unironic statement used by some dev in an interview about WoW's gameplay design.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
Elden Ring is not an actual open world game As much as fromsoft fanboys hate on open world games while thirstily claiming ER is open world...it just isn't. It's open world the way WoW is open world. It's a bunch of areas you can wander around in that lead to other areas through set routes.

Is this why Elden Ring is bad? No, it's just part of why it is overrated. Elden Ring is bad because of the fans. It is overrated because the fans don't seem to understand that a game with myriad flaws isn't as good as they think.

ER would be a vastly better game if they got rid of the fake open world and the over and over repeated dungeons. Maybe join the 21st century and add accessibility options, too.

It's a 7/10 game at best. Those are facts. You can't ignore massive gaping problems with a game and say, well it's still great. It has great aspects. The game itself is merely good. It's not as good as Sekiro, Bloodborne, DS1 or DS3. It's not even as good as Sifu.

ER is on the short list of most overrated games of all time. Just like Breath of the Wild, as time passes, people will start to recognize the flaws more and more and the overall feeling will drop. Just like BotW, it is a 7 at best.

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

quote:

Is this why Elden Ring is bad? No, it's just part of why it is overrated. Elden Ring is bad because of the fans.

good god when people start saying things like this you can tell they spend too much time on the internet reading opinions from people so they can get mad at them

i mean, i'm not saying i'm innocent of that

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

Waltzing Along posted:

Elden Ring is not an actual open world game As much as fromsoft fanboys hate on open world games while thirstily claiming ER is open world...it just isn't. It's open world the way WoW is open world. It's a bunch of areas you can wander around in that lead to other areas through set routes.

Is this why Elden Ring is bad? No, it's just part of why it is overrated. Elden Ring is bad because of the fans. It is overrated because the fans don't seem to understand that a game with myriad flaws isn't as good as they think.

ER would be a vastly better game if they got rid of the fake open world and the over and over repeated dungeons. Maybe join the 21st century and add accessibility options, too.

It's a 7/10 game at best. Those are facts. You can't ignore massive gaping problems with a game and say, well it's still great. It has great aspects. The game itself is merely good. It's not as good as Sekiro, Bloodborne, DS1 or DS3. It's not even as good as Sifu.

ER is on the short list of most overrated games of all time. Just like Breath of the Wild, as time passes, people will start to recognize the flaws more and more and the overall feeling will drop. Just like BotW, it is a 7 at best.
lol tell us about not watching Rick & Morty again

Devils Affricate
Jan 22, 2010

Waltzing Along posted:

The worst thing about Elden Ring is that it inspires people to make posts like this

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DontMockMySmock
Aug 9, 2008

I got this title for the dumbest fucking possible take on sea shanties. Specifically, I derailed the meme thread because sailors in the 18th century weren't woke enough for me, and you shouldn't sing sea shanties. In fact, don't have any fun ever.
the worst thing about elden ring is that every thread about videogames talks about it CONSTANTLY, drowning out any other discussion