Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dunno-Lars
Apr 7, 2011
:norway:

:iiam:

You can get a Twitter train crash summary here: https://twitterisgoinggreat.com/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Man with Hat
Dec 26, 2007

Open up your Dethday present
It's a box of fucking nothing

Exciting Lemon
I got a mug

Final four elevator parts factory pictured. I got tired of building cool good factories and just made a single conveyor mainline making parts out of leftovers that I otherwise just sunk and left it running for a few days, but it works!

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

keyboard ⌨️​ :clint: cowboy

Klyith posted:

lmao:

https://twitter.com/SatisfactoryAF/status/1604561218710245378

(this may not make sense if you aren't following the lol musk thread)
... What's the mouse game?

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock

FFT posted:

Bad Rats

Tombot
Oct 21, 2008
I was going to make another suggestion, but that's probably correct.

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

They tapdance not, neither do they fart

FFT posted:

Probably this one
https://store.steampowered.com/app/1679210/The_Spirit_and_the_Mouse/

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

keyboard ⌨️​ :clint: cowboy

lol

That looks cute, definitely some Stray vibes

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Skunkduster
Jul 15, 2005

I'm calling it done for my FICMAS decorating. I'm not sure if it is due to the location I picked, but there is a lot of atmospheric haze here all the time. I'd like to light it better with different colored lights, but I think one of my mods (guessing wireless power) is messing it up. If I change the color of one light, it will change every other light in the game to match.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Primpin and Pimpin
Sep 2, 2011

My partner and I are doing our annual New Year vacation Satisfactory playthrough and I gotta say, this game still owns. We're trying out Satisfactory Plus this time around and today I spent my time making Hyperloop connections to our quartz and coal areas then decided to start setting up for oil production. Meanwhile my partner spent all day in the main factory making an IKEA/Home Depot set up for resources and automating a few of our needed assembly items. Oh, we're 56 hours in and I dream about conveyor belts at night. Satisfactory Plus is definitely an interesting puzzle to solve so far. We haven't even gotten into the slug tech or the farming stuff yet aside from poking at it and deciding it was A LOT going on there, kind of too much in my opinion. Luckily the advent calendar in game at the moment awards some Power Shards, otherwise I have no clue how to get them with this mod and very little interest in working it out.

Tombot
Oct 21, 2008
Small question, did any of the previous Ficsmas setups from previous years start working again when this Ficsmas started? I completely tore my old one down so I never got to see.

Ardlen
Sep 30, 2005
WoT

Yes, they start up just fine. In fact, they continue to run without issue all year, it is just that the trees stop producing presents after fixmas ends, so eventually everything grinds to a halt.

Dravs
Mar 8, 2011

You've done well, kiddo.
Just picked this up in the steam winter sale, my first base is a confusing tangle of conveyer belts going everywhere. Is there a way to start a new map and save my progress or do I just have to pull everything down and build it again somewhere else?

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀

Just make a manual save and then start a new game from the main menu.

e: oh i misread. don't tear anything down. Just pick up your hub and space elevator and walk somewhere else and start over. Let the old factory keep working.

Dr. Stab fucked around with this message at 15:24 on Jan 4, 2023

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Just start over somewhere else - all of the starting locations have multiple decent places for a home base. If you start a new game you'll have to start from scratch again, although you can start from having a completed Hub if you skip the tutorial.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Dravs posted:

Just picked this up in the steam winter sale, my first base is a confusing tangle of conveyer belts going everywhere. Is there a way to start a new map and save my progress or do I just have to pull everything down and build it again somewhere else?
You can just dismantle the HUB and rebuild it somewhere else. Leave everything else behind. Once you've got your new base up and running you can go back and tear the old down.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

I like to spend the time to tear everything down and rebuild. Unless you started in the grassland. That place sucks and you should hightail it to somewhere better.

Dravs
Mar 8, 2011

You've done well, kiddo.
Also, is there any way to remove the massive boulders in the ground? I can remove the small ones with the tnt item but the big ones don't budge. And is there any way to deal with those gas clouds? I got one right in the way of where I was going to expand my factory.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

If your explosives don't clear it then you can't clear them. Terraforming isn't really a game priority so the solution is to build high above the terrain with foundations.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

The gas clouds generated by the blue/orange flowers can be removed by blowing up the flowers. The big fart mountains can't be removed though.

Most rocks can't be removed. There are some large semispherical boulders with a cracked pattern that hide collectibles you can blow up, but otherwise just build foundations on top. This is why I typically build my modular factories on stilts, so I don't need to care too much about how the ground looks.

power crystals
Jun 6, 2007

Who wants a belly rub??

Collateral Damage posted:

Most rocks can't be removed.

The last time I played (october-ish) I was able to destroy almost all rocks except those horrible gas ones with explosives. No mods. I guess this was a recent change because I definitely remember the cracked ones being special?

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

There are a bunch of scenery objects (rocks and trees and the like) that explosives can destroy besides the specific "blow this up for a prize!" rocks. Not all rocks are explodable though, plenty of the bigger ones are outright geometry.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week
There are rocks other than the cracked videogame "explode me" boulders that can be removed with explosives. Generally smallish ones. I think they count as foliage rather than static objects. No good way to tell other than trying to explode them.

I really wish there was a mini explosive for precision clearing the flowers or rocks.

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

looks like we have a bad transmitter

Dravs posted:

Just in case it wasn’t clear, there’s only one map. If you start over with a new starting location it’s just wasting your time since you can pack some stuff and walk there. It’s dangerous due to critters and falling and whatnot, but you can navigate easily enough with a few stacks of concrete to build foundation ramps up cliffs or a bunch of ladders.

It may seem lovely that your beginning stuff is a mess but just keep building until you get a firm factory pumping stuff out and then you can demolish all that spaghett. There’s no benefit to starting over unless the stress of having a mess is too much.

And honestly even the best planned factories end up with some jank eventually.

Primpin and Pimpin
Sep 2, 2011

Honestly, I love the feeling of improving on my spaghetti/'just need this done' now set ups and then tearing down the old stuff. Being able to deconstruct 50 items at a time helps a lot. It just feels, ahem, Satisfying to see all that beautiful empty space afterwards. And then I fill it all in with some new process I need happening now.. it is a lovely cycle.

So, our Satisfactory Plus playthrough seems to be at an end. I kept crashing multiple times yesterday and we couldn't quite figure it out. From the crash log, it seemed like it was an issue with the Hatchers, so we deleted all the Hatchers off the map using a save editor. I crashed in a different way a few more times in totally different spots, so we kind of just called it. We did get up to the oil refinery stuff and it was fun but it was also a lot going on/having to plan for. Probably for the best, since yesterday was also the last vacation day we had, so no more 10 hour grind sessions. I had a good time with the overhaul mod, all things considered, even if I did not like the inclusion of Ficsit Farming and the Slug tech tree stuff. I can't imagine playing it as a single player though, so much of our time was spent with me barely touching the factory and mostly finding and bringing resources back/puzzling out the next tech advances while my partner handled the conveyor belts and actual automation. Worked out well in a duo, I imagine it would be pretty great with a few more people as well, since you can kind of fan out and set up forward bases at the various resource nodes.

Dravs
Mar 8, 2011

You've done well, kiddo.

TK-42-1 posted:

Just in case it wasn’t clear, there’s only one map. If you start over with a new starting location it’s just wasting your time since you can pack some stuff and walk there. It’s dangerous due to critters and falling and whatnot, but you can navigate easily enough with a few stacks of concrete to build foundation ramps up cliffs or a bunch of ladders.

It may seem lovely that your beginning stuff is a mess but just keep building until you get a firm factory pumping stuff out and then you can demolish all that spaghett. There’s no benefit to starting over unless the stress of having a mess is too much.

And honestly even the best planned factories end up with some jank eventually.

Yeah, thanks for this. I went to the interactive map and was confused because I could only see 1 map, it makes a lot more sense now. I just got my 2nd coal mine up and running, need more coal power! And more steel!

Last question for now, do the water pipes need pumps regardless or are they just for when you want to put pipes vertically? I am getting really confused how one section of pipe will be full of water and the next section will just be completely empty.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Dravs posted:

Yeah, thanks for this. I went to the interactive map and was confused because I could only see 1 map, it makes a lot more sense now. I just got my 2nd coal mine up and running, need more coal power! And more steel!

Last question for now, do the water pipes need pumps regardless or are they just for when you want to put pipes vertically? I am getting really confused how one section of pipe will be full of water and the next section will just be completely empty.

Pumps are only needed for verticality. Each pump adds a certain amount of lift to the liquid in the pipe. The UI will try to show you how far the pump will go. It's a lot easier to do the lifting aspect by building any lifts as straight up as you can, and then do your longer run on the downslope.

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

looks like we have a bad transmitter

Dravs posted:

You have 10m of headspace without a pump. Even if you raise 11m over 2km you still need a pump at the end there. Also floor holes are bugged (or at least were) so its better to just clip through floors for now.

boxen
Feb 20, 2011
You lose the head lift if you go through a storage tank though, right?

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

boxen posted:

The wiki says headlift will transmit through a buffer if it is full or nearly so, but the buffer itself also provides headlift.

I hate dealing with headlift and I hate dealing with fluids in this game because of how finicky it is. I constantly have to troubleshoot why pipes arbitrarily aren't working when dealing with verticality.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

boxen posted:

Buffer tanks transmit full head lift if they're 100% full. If they're partly empty, they only transmit head lift equal to the height of the fluid inside the buffer.

In general, don't use buffer tanks in any system that is just taking fluid from a source to a consumer. They don't really do anything useful.

There are three useful things to do with buffers:
1. When you're first booting up oil production, IMO it's useful to make a temporary couple of refineries for plastic and rubber that just funnel heavy oil byproduct into some tanks that you flush when full. Don't put effort into oil until you have a couple of the alt recipes.
2. Gimmicks like a turbofuel emergency reserve
3. Advanced fluid tricks like the head lift water tower or priority input buffers

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

If you're already bootstrapping oil you might as well make an extra refinery or two to process heavy oil residue into coke then sink it. That way you don't have to spend time flushing the buffer.

Dance Officer
May 4, 2017

It would be awesome if we could dance!
I started a playthrough with my brother and we're at the point where we can set up jump pads. I tried setting up a successive line of jump pads from one factory to the other, but I can't figure out a way to set things up in such a way that jump in on one end > come out safely at the other end happens with any kind of consistency.

Is there a way this can be done, and am I just missing it?

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

^^ Please send feedback to beefstache911@hotmail.com, this is not a joke that 'stache is the real deal. Serious assessments only. ^^

TK-42-1 posted:

You have 10m of headspace without a pump. Even if you raise 11m over 2km you still need a pump at the end there. Also floor holes are bugged (or at least were) so its better to just clip through floors for now.

My fuel power plant that uses floor holes is still working, so I'd say they're fixed, although the whole "bringing fluid up from below multi-pipe-section" mechanics still exist so you'll probably see weird behavior until all the various pipe sections fill with fluid.

Re: buffers, I image that if you're transporting fluids via rail that using a buffer in front of a fluid platform in the same way you'd use a storage container for freight platforms would be a valid use case correct?

Dance Officer posted:

I started a playthrough with my brother and we're at the point where we can set up jump pads. I tried setting up a successive line of jump pads from one factory to the other, but I can't figure out a way to set things up in such a way that jump in on one end > come out safely at the other end happens with any kind of consistency.

I've never found jump pads to be of any practical use. For point to point player transportation I personally use zip lines (which just got buffed), hyper tubes - which can be fun to build and open up options like cannons etc., and trains. I don't really use trucks, although the explorer is probably the best way to move quickly when you have no infrastructure around.

Ice Fist fucked around with this message at 18:48 on Jan 5, 2023

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Just because Liquor's dead, doesn't mean you can just roll this bitch all over town with "The Freedoms."

Dance Officer posted:

You have to click twice to place a jump pad. If you move the scroll wheel after the first click you can angle it to adjust the trajectory of the bounce, the blue indicator should show you where you'll land and you can place the next jump pad accordingly.

Dance Officer
May 4, 2017

It would be awesome if we could dance!
Thanks for the quick response but drat that's not the answer I was hoping for. We've just started coal power production and have three separate factories because the buildings are so big and foundations are so small, and the map isn't particularly flat. Having to walk to these got old really fast.

NoEyedSquareGuy posted:

You have to click twice to place a jump pad. If you move the scroll wheel after the first click you can angle it to adjust the trajectory of the bounce, the blue indicator should show you where you'll land and you can place the next jump pad accordingly.

I noticed all of this, but the problem is that where the indicator says you'll land is sometimes where you'll land, and sometimes not, and where you end up seems to be affected by how you jumped onto the pad that launches you.

Dance Officer fucked around with this message at 19:00 on Jan 5, 2023

Gadzuko
Feb 14, 2005

Dance Officer posted:

Chaining jump pads together is kinda iffy. You can change the launch angle while placing it (mousewheel I think?) if you haven't already been doing that, but you're not going to land precisely on target every time.

Ice Fist posted:

I've never found jump pads to be of any practical use. For point to point player transportation I personally use zip lines (which just got buffed), hyper tubes - which can be fun to build and open up options like cannons etc., and trains. I don't really use trucks, although the explorer is probably the best way to move quickly when you have no infrastructure around.

Pretty much, although I do like to throw in a truck here and there when I just don't feel like running a conveyor. More of an aesthetic choice than anything. The only niche for jump pads is when you need to travel up a cliff frequently before you have tubes, ziplines or jetpack. In most cases you can just... not do that. Or build a ramp.

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Just because Liquor's dead, doesn't mean you can just roll this bitch all over town with "The Freedoms."

Dance Officer posted:

Thanks for the quick response but drat that's not the answer I was hoping for. We've just started coal power production and have three separate factories because the buildings are so big and foundations are so small, and the map isn't particularly flat. Having to walk to these got old really fast.

I noticed all of this, but the problem is that where the indicator says you'll land is sometimes where you'll land, and sometimes not, and where you end up seems to be affected by how you jumped onto the pad that launches you.

The indicator should show where you'll land, sometimes the physics can get a bit weird and you'll end up short. In my experience they'll work right about 99% of the time and occasionally it bugs out a bit, I think on account of clipping into the model slightly while it's trying to launch you or the game not loading saved trajectories correctly. Most people don't use them enough for it to be a serious issue, if you're trying to get places faster jump pads probably aren't any better than just crafting a pair of blade runners.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

Swap your jump pads with hypertubes once you unlock them. Best transportation method around.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

^^ Please send feedback to beefstache911@hotmail.com, this is not a joke that 'stache is the real deal. Serious assessments only. ^^

With the addition of blueprints, this game now desperately needs better ways to dismantle stuff. Or at least an "undo" button for blueprints/a blueprint delete mode. If you can magically make a 32 meter cube worth of stuff magically appear, your magic gun can also make it disappear.

And no, this is for a friend. I definitely did NOT have to dismantle 4 copies of a complicated foundry blueprint because it was off by 1 meter. No sir. Nothing to see here.