Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
Never realised there were so many tab perverts posting in here. Actually I just kind of assumed that all browsers crashed if you had more than like...10 tabs open. 2000? You should be ashamed

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

mrpwase posted:

Thought you lot might appreciate my Christmas cross stitch project

Read that as "gently caress the halls and deck the tories".

Message still works!

jaete
Jun 21, 2009

Nap Ghost
I used to save things in bookmarks but the whole bookmarks system started to get slow as heck by the time I had like 500 things in there. Which is not even a big number, wtf.

Now I try to just save the most "important" things, and in a text file, because gently caress browsers.

Comrade Fakename
Feb 13, 2012

I don’t want to gently caress a hall, even I’m not so deluded as to think my dick is big enough to get a decent amount of friction there.

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

Comrade Fakename posted:

I don’t want to gently caress a hall, even I’m not so deluded as to think my dick is big enough to get a decent amount of friction there.

decking Tories sounds pretty good though

Shyrka
Feb 10, 2005

Small Boss likes to spin!
How the gently caress do you even find what you're looking for if you have that many tabs open? Do you just hold down ctrl-tab until you think you see the one you want flash on screen?

I feel irritated if I've got more than three open.

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

I use an add-on called One Tab and every now and then I press a button and all my tabs get closed and added to an ever increasing html list of links to all the former tabs that lives forever in tab number one. It gives me a sense of reassurance and comfort to know that they're there if I need them (I never need them)

Comrade Fakename
Feb 13, 2012

Incidentally:

https://twitter.com/elonmusk/status/1604617643973124097

Obviously you need to vote in this poll.

Clarence
May 3, 2012

Comrade Fakename posted:

Which way to vote though?!

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Comrade Fakename posted:

Incidentally:

https://twitter.com/elonmusk/status/1604617643973124097

And vote no because it's the funniest option, obviously.

Really, why would you want this speed freak to stop posting 20 hours a day while running Tesla shares into the ground?

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I don't think he can log off and I would be surprised if he would abide by it if it went the wrong way, so that may be the funnier option if he loses and then stays on anyway.

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

Replies seem to be suggesting he's already planning to step down to keep investors happy so this is just another narcissistic dog and pony show

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

what keeps happening to my clothes

Shyrka posted:

How the gently caress do you even find what you're looking for if you have that many tabs open? Do you just hold down ctrl-tab until you think you see the one you want flash on screen?

I feel irritated if I've got more than three open.

- Alt+1 goes to the very start where my email inbox is. i put this at the start when I started a new firefox thingy several years back to try to motivate me to keep my tab list short. as you can see i just learned the shortcut to go to the start instead
- Alt+9 goes to the very end where the most recent stuff is
- the first three letters of the most recent tabs are visible at the end and so I can usually find something from today
- broadly everything else goes into a horrific tab pile in the middle from which there is no logic, reason or escape
- if i remember any text in the specific old tab's title I can type it in the address bar and it will go to the tab. also it sometimes goes to an old tab when I don't want it to and then I am lost in the tab pile
- i make very good life decisions

WhatEvil
Jun 6, 2004

Can't get no luck.

Unsure what you can do about the tabs you've already closed, but going forward:

There's a chrome extension called "Tabs backup and restore" which periodically backs up all of your open tabs. Can be handy. There are also plenty of other extensions for managing tabs. See this search and pick one you think will work for you: https://chrome.google.com/webstore/search/tabs?_category=extensions

Also you can use chrome's task manager to (Shift+Esc) to close the processes of all of your tabs, which frees up your memory, but the tabs are still "open", it's just that when you click on them you'll get a grey screen instead of seeing the page. You have to duplicate the tab and close the old (process ended) one for it to load gain. This can be useful as you can just then close the most memory-hungry tabs.

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-

thebardyspoon posted:

This thread seems like it'd have someone who could say if I could do the thing I'm trying to do or not, google isn't helping because it's doing that thing where it assumes I'm googling for something else and is giving me 100% answers for that instead.

I had shitloads of chrome tabs opened up until recently, like 140 or so at once. Mostly articles that I'd been fully intending to read or pages of things I intended to do/write down details from and I realise that sounds loving.... stupid as hell and I should've bookmarked them to which I'd say, "yep, absolutely". I'd close them en masse when I played a game because that many tabs was a bit of a hog of course and then reopen them using the recent history dropdown which would have "xxx number of tabs" as an option and let me reopen them all at once.

What I've done at some point earlier today is close them and forgotten to reopen them until my recent history has lost them (only keeps the last 25 things you've visited), the actual history in chrome doesn't have that reopen tabs en masse thing and when you've been doing what I've been doing with many tabs, it doesn't recall the individual sites either. Or it probably does but whenever I last actually looked at them individually and of course I don't remember the majority of these (one could question the value of them at that point of course).

So is there a way for me to find all these tabs in my files somewhere in some format like the recent history thing that'd just recall all the tabs and reopen them or something I'm missing? There's a part of me that's almost glad to be free of the sisyphean weight of these many tabs that "I'll definitely get round to reading one of these days" but I have a feeling my brain won't allow that and instead I'll spend tomorrow morning going through my history and trying to find as many of them as possible in a very slow boring way.

Ctrl + Shift + T reopens closed tabs, including if you close a whole window of them. I don't know how far back it remembers them but you can try spamming that until your beloved tab stash returns.

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

OwlFancier posted:

I don't even store browsing history, let alone tabs beyond the browsing session.

If it's important it's bookmarked, otherwise the browser is tabula rasa each time it's opened. I think it's an artefact of learning to internet before tabbed browsing but apparently other people have not been so affected.

I'm exactly the same. :kiddo:

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Why is it 12 degrees C outside.

loving insane weather.

yung lambic
Dec 16, 2011

Jel Shaker posted:

if anyone hasn’t mentioned it yet, get on the priority list if you’re disabled old or have kids younger than five, and if power cuts do happen there’s supposed to be some form of urgent care provision so your loved ones dont freeze to death (this winter at least)

Thanks for this. Not sure how helpful it will be, but I’ve signed up. We have a six month old and while it wouldn’t be the end of the world if a power cut did happen, he would certainly be so cold that he would never sleep again and we would tear our hair out.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

forkboy84 posted:

And vote no because it's the funniest option, obviously.

Really, why would you want this speed freak to stop posting 20 hours a day while running Tesla shares into the ground?

Because a lot of lovely right wingers have latched onto him as a defender of "free speech" on Twitter, especially transphobes, and him staying on is seen as a big vindication of their views.

WhatEvil posted:

Also you can use chrome's task manager to (Shift+Esc) to close the processes of all of your tabs, which frees up your memory, but the tabs are still "open", it's just that when you click on them you'll get a grey screen instead of seeing the page. You have to duplicate the tab and close the old (process ended) one for it to load gain. This can be useful as you can just then close the most memory-hungry tabs.

Or just use Edge, which automatically sleeps tabs for you and also doesn't hog all your memory during normal use.

Doctor_Fruitbat fucked around with this message at 10:07 on Dec 19, 2022

Freudian
Mar 23, 2011

I managed to cull my tab use by installing an extension that limited me to seven at a time in any window - if I opened another one, it would close a random tab.

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

Standard loadout is SA, another forum, email, twitter, facebook, whatsapp. Then whatever else I'm doing on top of that, but they always get closed down after I'm done with whatever it was and go back to the basics. If I can't read what the tabs are I have too many.

mrpwase
Apr 21, 2010

I HAVE GREAT AVATAR IDEAS
For the Many, Not the Few

Whatsapp...tab?

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Terry knows what he can do with his bloody chocolate orange...

You get whatsapp on browsers. It helps type screeds to your friends faster and means you dont have to pick up your phone to text back. It's semi-useful.

mrpwase
Apr 21, 2010

I HAVE GREAT AVATAR IDEAS
For the Many, Not the Few

That would have saved me a lot of hassle if I'd known that sooner, I could have sworn I looked and found it was mobile only. Thanks!

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Terry knows what he can do with his bloody chocolate orange...

Every day's a school day. I've got my whatsapp tab open, and then 2-3 things I want to remember (currently it's on the shop to buy a co2 alarm so I remember to research which one to buy) and then the 2-3 things I'm currently doing (twitch, SA, etc)

Mebh
May 10, 2010

OwlFancier posted:

Why is it 12 degrees C outside.

loving insane weather.

I'll take it over constant shitballs freezing. Its back again tomorrow though.

As to tabs chat. I don't know why but I pretty much live off my bookmarks bar these days. My memory just doesn't hold the bookmarks menu contents in my head so I entirely forget anything in there exists.

My bookmarks bar is basically gmail, search, SA and a load of work links like devnet and various resources.

Tabs I ruthlessly force myself to cull every friday before I log off as my work PC is now my main PC and I pretty much just want the gently caress out of my home office so I can lie under a blanket of cats and contemplate my mental state until the next week begins.

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Listen buddy, we all got problems!

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

Because a lot of lovely right wingers have latched onto him as a defender of "free speech" on Twitter, especially transphobes, and him staying on is seen as a big vindication of their views.

That horse has bolted. Even if Musk found someone else to be CEO, he owns it and has shown he is incapable of not interfering personally with things he owns, and no one is going to buy it for close to what he paid for it.

At this point its probably best to just let twitter die and for people to move to a new platform.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
I just have two browser windows now that good screen and bad screen are the same screen. Each has about 8-10 tabs.

Also the text file where urls go to die, which comes into play when the 8-10 becomes 20 somehow.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
Seems like some of you have work laptops that can actually handle multiple apps and lots of tabs, and don't have to spend half your day killing apps in TaskManager just so that you can initiate an MSTeams meeting in sub-5min. Must be nice.

Vaguely related, anyone got a recommendation for a big-rear end curvy monitor I can get for my WFH setup? If I'm gonna be spending so long kissing and hugging the Bad Screen it should at least be a good Bad Screen

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

Mega Comrade posted:

That horse has bolted. Even if Musk found someone else to be CEO, he owns it and has shown he is incapable of not interfering personally with things he owns, and no one is going to buy it for close to what he paid for it.

At this point its probably best to just let twitter die and for people to move to a new platform.

I don't think it's happening to be honest, it's easy to say that everyone should move to a new platform but not so easy to put into practice, the institutional inertia is very much with Twitter and the alternatives suck in a major way.

You can point to MySpace and all but the adoption was far less universal back then, especially from the wider society like politicians etc.

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

e: accidental doublepost

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!
I had thought my work laptop was garbage just on how terribly it runs, but just checking the specs its got an 11th gen i5 and 16gb ram. It still dies regularly trying to calculate a spreadsheet or run teams, so maybe I'm just used to not using Windows and that is how it's supposed to be.

Private Speech posted:

I don't think it's happening to be honest, it's easy to say that everyone should move to a new platform but not so easy to put into practice, the institutional inertia is very much with Twitter and the alternatives suck in a major way.

You can point to MySpace and all but the adoption was far less universal back then, especially from the wider society like politicians etc.

Seems like a fairly steady bleed of users at the moment, generally every time Musk does something dumb (which is every day basically). Once the paid verification changes get incorporated I can't see what the appeal of the site would be for anyone not willing to shell out the $8 a month, considering you're posts are basically going to be ghettoized to what is essentially a junk mail folder.

keep punching joe fucked around with this message at 12:55 on Dec 19, 2022

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

keep punching joe posted:

I had thought my work laptop was garbage just on how terribly it runs, but just checking the specs its got an 11th gen i5 and 16gb ram. It still dies regularly trying to calculate a spreadsheet or run teams, so maybe I'm just used to not using Windows and that is how it's supposed to be.

I reckon corporate IT implements a lot of bad GPOs that screw with function. Or else it's all the corporate spyware recording HD webcam footage whenever I pull it out at my desk

domhal
Dec 30, 2008

0.000% of Communism has been built. Evil child-murdering billionaires still rule the world with a shit-eating grin. All he has managed to do is make himself *sad*. It has, however, made him into a very, very smart boy with something like a university degree in Truth. Instead of building Communism, he now builds a precise model of this grotesque, duplicitous world.
Can't slack off during WFH if they only give you HDD.

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

Currently doing all my internet stuff on a refurbished ancient Dell Optiplex 380 (2005 model) running Linux Mint. :kiddo:

It's not optimal but i can't be arsed assembling a better one from my parts box, plus i like the look of the Dell.

I know bugger all about monitors other than making sure the connectors match. :shrug:

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

keep punching joe posted:

If you're connected to a corporate network then that might be the bottleneck, including for Excel if it uses Office 365 or the file is hosted online.

Catzilla
May 12, 2003

"Untie the queen"

Angepain posted:

- Alt+1 goes to the very start where my email inbox is. i put this at the start when I started a new firefox thingy several years back to try to motivate me to keep my tab list short. as you can see i just learned the shortcut to go to the start instead
- Alt+9 goes to the very end where the most recent stuff is
- the first three letters of the most recent tabs are visible at the end and so I can usually find something from today
- broadly everything else goes into a horrific tab pile in the middle from which there is no logic, reason or escape
- if i remember any text in the specific old tab's title I can type it in the address bar and it will go to the tab. also it sometimes goes to an old tab when I don't want it to and then I am lost in the tab pile
- i make very good life decisions

Not gonna lie, this makes me feel a bit itchy.

killerwhat
May 13, 2010

Failed Imagineer posted:

Vaguely related, anyone got a recommendation for a big-rear end curvy monitor I can get for my WFH setup? If I'm gonna be spending so long kissing and hugging the Bad Screen it should at least be a good Bad Screen

I have a AOC CU34G2/BK 34". I paid £370 for it. Seems to be working ok! I also have my old normal sized monitor on one side plus my laptop screen on the other so I can see loads of stuff at once.

WhatsApp: there is also a desktop app!

Sad Panda
Sep 22, 2004

I'm a Sad Panda.

Failed Imagineer posted:

Seems like some of you have work laptops that can actually handle multiple apps and lots of tabs, and don't have to spend half your day killing apps in TaskManager just so that you can initiate an MSTeams meeting in sub-5min. Must be nice.

Not curved, but is 32" 4k. I picked up https://www.samsung.com/uk/monitors/high-resolution/uj59-32-inch-uhd-4k-lu32j590uqrxxu/ a few weeks ago when it was on sale for £170. Keeping track of http://hotukdeals.com is how I found it.

https://www.hotukdeals.com/deals/gaming-monitor-4053147 is 32" curved for £149 after cash back?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
3 weeks to see a nurse, 3 months to see a doctor to get put on a waiting list for the BC implant. The first part is not "a the NHS is under strain, don't be horrible to them and wait your turn!!!" thing, it's a Royal Primary Care are dogshit thing. They have a Nurse sat there doing nothing for 3 days a week because they have decided those days are reserved for Diabetes foot checks, flu jabs and annual reviews. No one turns up or books any of these appointments. I know this because they put the nurse booking system online. Meanwhile it's a 3 week wait for diabetics to get a blood test. This is loving insane.