Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bagheera
Oct 30, 2003
Is Cyberpunk 2077 playable on PS4 Pro now? I avoided it when it came out, because reviewers said it crashed constantly on last gen consoles.
The PS Store has it on sale for $25, and I'm really tempted to grab it. But if it crashes/freezes constantly, then I'll just wait until I get a PS5.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
wait for current gen consoles, it never should have been sold for last gen

Bagheera
Oct 30, 2003

Oxxidation posted:

wait for current gen consoles, it never should have been sold for last gen

Thanks.
At least I picked up Fallout 76 and Last Of Us II for super cheap. So my RPG/Adventure/Action slot is full for now.

acksplode
May 17, 2004

FWIW upgrading to the PS5 version is free, so if there's a good sale you could jump on it and try it out without much risk. If it sucks you can hit da bricks and wait to play until you have a PS5. My understanding is that on PS4 Pro it's ugly and framey but not so crashy.

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013
HI I LIKE TO GIVE ADVICE ON RELATIONSHIPS
It was aimed at PS4Pro originally and should be playable on that.

Sony didn't want to create a divide between the pspoor and pspro, so all ps4 games had to 'run' on the base model. CP2077 'ran' on the base model, but if they could have sold it as pspro only, they would have.

Plays real nice on the ps4propro, though.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Bagheera posted:

Is Cyberpunk 2077 playable on PS4 Pro now? I avoided it when it came out, because reviewers said it crashed constantly on last gen consoles.
The PS Store has it on sale for $25, and I'm really tempted to grab it. But if it crashes/freezes constantly, then I'll just wait until I get a PS5.

Yeah as long as you actually patch it (digital version should be 1.61 pre-patched which is the latest version), it's fine on PS4 Pro. Note that if you have an external USB drive, you'll probably want to actually run it off your internal drive (unless your external is an SSD), game does a lot of asset streaming and things can get rather chunky running off an external spinning rust drive. It shouldn't crash or freeze, at least no more than most other games.

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

"All this, for me? 💃Ah, you didn't have to! 🥰"
https://twitter.com/PowerWashSim/status/1599801069780860929

Finally coming to PS4! :dance:

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters
I don't want it to come to playstation because I know I will be tempted to lose hours as I completely zonk out and play through the entirety of that game again, but at the same time, it gives me an excuse to zonk out and play through the entirety of the game again.

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

I 100%'d House Flipper (although there is a new DLC!), so I need more "chill out while cleaning" games. :3:

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

Bagheera posted:

It was playable on the PS4 Pro back at release after the first two patches, imo. At least I finished it on it and had fun (though it WAS rough at the beginning...uff). Of course it was heavily unfinished and buggy, but one of the first patches fixed a lot (by turning stuff off/down) on last gen. The following patches ironed out a couple more bugs and added minor QoL improvements. The release of the Edgerunners anime also added a handful of DLC missions which are...very minor...plus some gear from the show.

I just finished it again - finally getting the platinum - on PS5, and a lot of minor bugs and glitches are still present, but I didn't encounter anything game breaking. So I assume it's similar on PS4 Pro.

Game breaking is the game itself in the way that you can easily finish it on hardest difficulty without any sweat, as basically every specalisation on a certain playstyle makes you completely overpowerd, regardless if it's stealth, netrunning, melee or solo, and if you decide to do a lot if sidequests early on, you'll just blast through the campaign. AI is still laughable, driving is still kinda wonky, menus still are tiresome to navigate without a mouse etc., open world is still a pretty potemkin village.

If this stuff doesn't bother you too much, it still offers a pretty okay campaign, some sidequests that rival the best Witcher 3 sidequests in their quality, plus the braindance quests are something that owns a lot.

They announced a patch for next year that will overhaul the melee and IIRC netrunning mechanics as especially melee is super basic. This patch will also be the base for a bigger, free content DLC which will only be released for next gen if I understood CD Projekt correctly.

If you like the Cyberpunk setting and eurojank doesn't put you off, give it a try when it's on sale.

e: oh, it crashes from time to time, yeah. I had three crashes in around 150 hours of getting the platinum. None broke anything, and didn't back when I played it on PS4 Pro (where the launch version crashed nearly every half our, the patch fixed this so it only crashes when you play for hours without loading a save/leave it running for hours...). Often you can see the crash coming. When the shaders start to gently caress up (especially when driving really fast vehicles from one end of the map to the other) / lights start to bloom and flicker, just save and reload that save to prevent the crash that WILL come.

ee: if you're into animated series, watch the Edgerunners before going too long into chapter 2. You'll have enough info from the game to fully parse the ending of the show, plus that's when the show-specific quests/gear turn up.

tuo fucked around with this message at 20:42 on Dec 7, 2022

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013
HI I LIKE TO GIVE ADVICE ON RELATIONSHIPS
Yeah, you can break the game over your knee fairly easily. Spec into netrunner, buff up all of the contagion attributes. Stand outside a building, infect somebody, and watch the entire building just die. But honestly, it's fun to go from 'you risk your life walking down the street' to 'you can depopulate a building with a thought.'

They also need a way to make custom gear without putting points into it. If you want to use iconic weapons, you pretty much have to put a lot of effort into the crafting tree, to upgrade them to remain relevant. You should be able to roll up to a gunsmith with weapon, materials, and a giant fist full of eddies.

TheCenturion fucked around with this message at 21:32 on Dec 7, 2022

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Sky Children of Light (Journey dev) is on PS4 now

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Warning: it’s largely some social bullshit. Not without its charms but pales in comparison to Journey

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Escobarbarian posted:

Warning: it’s largely some social bullshit. Not without its charms but pales in comparison to Journey

I brought it up because my gf absolutely loves it and plays it all the time

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

Please drop the price of Stray to 9.99. Please, just for a day

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

Thread, talk me into (or out of) getting Pathologic 2.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Inspector Hound posted:

Please drop the price of Stray to 9.99. Please, just for a day

Get Plus for a month, play and beat stray in a weekend (or three hours), and it pays for itself.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Read After Burning posted:

Thread, talk me into (or out of) getting Pathologic 2.

The load times are EXCRUCIATING on PS4. I had it on my Pro and even with an SSD, you're talking minutes between areas.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Yeah the PS4 version runs like absolute poo poo, do not play it on anything other than PC

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

GoutPatrol posted:

Get Plus for a month, play and beat stray in a weekend (or three hours), and it pays for itself.

Hmm, there are a few other games on there I'd plow through/get sick of in a day, that might be worth it. Does Callisto Protocol work on PS4?

They are really pushing that new ps plus system, it's kind of hard to find the free games each month with all the ads they put up for it.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
It has a PS4 version but it ain’t free on Plus

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

Quantum of Phallus posted:

The load times are EXCRUCIATING on PS4. I had it on my Pro and even with an SSD, you're talking minutes between areas.

Sakurazuka posted:

Yeah the PS4 version runs like absolute poo poo, do not play it on anything other than PC

Ooh, thank you for the warning! Bummer, I definitely prefer playing most games on my PS4. Ah well, my partner has a PC copy, so I'll poke around at that before buying my own PC version. :cheers:

Attitude Indicator
Apr 3, 2009

How does Pathological 2 fare on the PS5?
I always wanted to try it but it’s garbage on the ps4. And PC is out.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I tried it not long after I got a PS5 and I don't think it ran any better than on my old Pro ie bad

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Inspector Hound posted:

Hmm, there are a few other games on there I'd plow through/get sick of in a day, that might be worth it. Does Callisto Protocol work on PS4?

They are really pushing that new ps plus system, it's kind of hard to find the free games each month with all the ads they put up for it.

The best part of the new plus has been many of the 2-3 hour games from Annapurna, et al they have on there. I've gotten several plats this year from that:

Artful Escape
I Am Dead
The Gardens Between
Virginia

Are ones I would probably never buy myself but they are perfect for this service.

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

I don't think it was pointed out that one of the free games this month was all three Mass Effects bundled together with most or all of the DLC. I'm not super far into the first one yet, but I loved playing through them years ago and can't wait to do it again.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

Inspector Hound posted:

I don't think it was pointed out that one of the free games this month was all three Mass Effects bundled together with most or all of the DLC. I'm not super far into the first one yet, but I loved playing through them years ago and can't wait to do it again.

Hmm. I should probably grab those, since I doubt my old 360 versions would still work properly.

RIP all my ME3MP stuff, though.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Inspector Hound posted:

It's functionally "All" the DLC. The only thing missing is Pinnacle Station, because that was outsourced and the source code is just plain gone. Also Pinnacle Station was pretty bad anyway and didn't add anything to the story, so no big loss.

dirby
Sep 21, 2004

Helping goons with math
The OP was last edited a long time ago. I'm looking to get a PS4 and I have no interest in a 4K TV, but it seems like the PS4 Pro makes some games run better anyway?
Any suggestions on which version to get/what I should consider when making a decision? (It's a shame Sony's Factory Recertified store is out of PS4s.)

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

By and large:

- There are two types of original PS4s (the "wedge" ones). The original has a glossy panel as one of the panels and uses touch-sensitive panels for power/eject which are flaky and a pain in the rear end, while later revisions are all-matte and use actual physical buttons instead. Whether glossy or matte, the wedge PS4s only supports 2.4 GHz wireless networks so wireless performance is pretty poor (but wired is fine).
- The Slim PS4 supports 5 GHz wireless.

All of the above were sold in various SKUs with various bundled games (I think almost always physical) and designs, and were available in either 500gb or 1tb hard drive variations. They support HDR for games and apps but won't output above 1080p.

- The PS4 Pro has one extra USB port when compared to the OG PS4 and Slim, and also supports 5 GHz wireless networks. It supports 4K output for games and apps. Actual game quality varies, usually it's around 1440p at 30fps but you'll have exceptions (games hitting full 4K or 1800p, or having resolution scaling), and a number of games offer a 1080p60 performance mode. Launch era PS4 Pros use a larger power cable like what you use on a PC, while later revisions use the more traditional figure-8 type of smaller power cable. While there were various PS4 Pro limited editions and SKUs, they all shipped with a 1tb hard drive.

All PS4s (OG, Slim, Pro) have replaceable 2.5" internal hard drives, and also support SSDs (although benefits for games are a bit more limited than what you typically get from a PC HDD to SSD upgrade).

Early PS4s and PS4 Pros, especially if they've seen a lot of use, do have a tendency to start having really loud hairdryer-like fan action to keep the CPU cool, which can be alleviated with a teardown/clean/thermal paste replacement. Anecdotally it seems less common on the PS4 Slim and later PS4 Pros.

Given you only have a 1080p TV you probably won't see much in terms of benefits from a PS4 Pro, although as you allude to a few games do run better, like Cyberpunk, as well as the handful of games which offer 1080p performance modes. If the larger size of the console isn't an issue and it's only a little more expensive for you to get a PS4 Pro then go with that, but if you can only get a PS4 or PS4 Slim you should be fine; you might want to skip Cyberpunk on an original PS4 (it was way too ambitious for 2013 hardware, but does run well on a PS4 Pro when patched) but every other game should be solidly playable; I was a day one PS4 Pro purchaser and while it's fantastic on a 4K TV, I also travel with a regular PS4 I hook up to a 1080p screen and have a great time.

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

I would probably help disappear a diplomat in exchange for that extra USB port

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
How much are PS4s nowadays? There was a period when PS4 Pros were expensive enough that not getting a PS5 instead made little sense (assuming you could find one).

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Inspector Hound posted:

I would probably help disappear a diplomat in exchange for that extra USB port

True

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

Rinkles posted:

How much are PS4s nowadays? There was a period when PS4 Pros were expensive enough that not getting a PS5 instead made little sense (assuming you could find one).

Used PS4's are still going for $250+ in my area and I don't think their MSRP has dropped even a single dollar since 2019. They will probably be still be 200 bucks or more new the day they stop manufacturing them.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

buy a ps5

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

That's what I ended up doing. I was about to bite the bullet and buy a used one at Gamestop, when the manager informed me that they were getting some in the next weekend.

I showed up early, stood in line, and got one. Gamestop was bundling them in an attempt to prevent scalpers. It wasn't that expensive, sub $600, especially considering scalper prices online were over $800 at the time.

The bundle the day I bought mine was a second controller, so joke's on Gamestop because that's actually a useful purchase.

Jack-Off Lantern
Mar 2, 2012

Iron Crowned posted:

The bundle the day I bought mine was a second controller, so joke's on Gamestop because that's actually a useful purchase.

Good chances are that the first one will break or drift after 6 months,so yeah.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

I know money is different to everyone but buying a secondhand PS4 these days is an absolute mug's game. The hardware is ancient, loud and you'll be stuck with a lovely, slow HDD.The biggest problem is that they're ridiculously expensive for a decade old machine.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Really frustrating when you consider that the super-slim PS2 eventually dropped to $99 and stayed there for a few years.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

I'm just glad that the ps5 is effectively better than the ps4 in every way.

There's only what, 4 games that won't run on a ps5 (plus technically a handful of demos and such, a good portion are vr ones)

Also the ps2 classics title mostly run badly on a ps5. I hope they solve that one day.

If the ps6 can't play ps4 or ps5 games I'll buy a spare ps5 in 2030 or something. The ps4/ps5 combined gen has so many good games.