Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

boredsatellite posted:

Sometimes as Zealot with a flamethrower I despair when I spot a sniper and still seem my teammates fall down to them because the veteran too busy trying to power sword down mobs. Then I take a gun and then despair seeing people unable to handle hordes with ragers and armored elites in them without my flamethrower.

For every good 2 games I get 1 very frustrating game lol.

My favorite head-slapping moment is when you're doing some kind of defense thing, like defending data interrogators, and you head to some bottleneck that spawning enemies come from (great example is on the Throneside mission when you're lowering the bridge, enemies spawn from the two ladders off to the sides) and you're just sitting there leisurely killing them all as they spawn, then someone else comes flying into your view swinging away at the same enemies. And then sure enough, a few seconds later, things start hitting you from behind.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

yeah, lots of time i'll just be sitting there at the back if everyone is running in and swinging and get kinda frustrated when im holding a chokepoint and someone just runs past it to farm kills and starts losing HP.

Fishstick
Jul 9, 2005

Does not require preheating
Mats not being accountwide is a giant pain especially since you cant burn down items yet. If I wanna upgrade poo poo for my vet, I have to play vet to farm mats, even though I'd rather play ogryn because theres likely already 2+ vets in the group.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Keep occasionally dipping into soulflame build for psyker and being disappointed everytime somehow.

Blinks77
Feb 15, 2012

Sharkopath posted:

Keep occasionally dipping into soulflame build for psyker and being disappointed everytime somehow.

Lot of people got burnt by that one.

Vagabong
Mar 2, 2019

Jerkface posted:

ehhhh i gotta disagree. Kill the trapper ASAP, I've had entire teams get wiped when theres like double trapper or whatever because they were too busy trying to free with a horde instead of killing the trapper. On any class I've played (leveling zealot with revolver rn) I always try to instakill Snipers, Trappers, and Bombers because they will wipe teams if your teammates are dumb.

One of the first like 5 missions I played on zealot we were getting bracketed by 2 snipers and the vet on our team was just jerking off swinging his sword or whatever I had to stop and type "vet can you please shoot these guys" because I had a loving autopistol and it wasn't doing enough damage at the range the snipers were at. Dont free your dumb teammates, kill the special.

It helps that post netting the trapper has a big reaction animation that leaves them very vunerable to getting blown away.

I've had people try to revive me in the sightlines of snipers before, killing the dangerous enemys should always be the priority.

Passburger
May 4, 2013

Jerkface posted:

ehhhh i gotta disagree. Kill the trapper ASAP, I've had entire teams get wiped when theres like double trapper or whatever because they were too busy trying to free with a horde instead of killing the trapper. On any class I've played (leveling zealot with revolver rn) I always try to instakill Snipers, Trappers, and Bombers because they will wipe teams if your teammates are dumb.

One of the first like 5 missions I played on zealot we were getting bracketed by 2 snipers and the vet on our team was just jerking off swinging his sword or whatever I had to stop and type "vet can you please shoot these guys" because I had a loving autopistol and it wasn't doing enough damage at the range the snipers were at. Dont free your dumb teammates, kill the special.

Like I a wrote "(assuming there's only 1 trapper)". If there's more than one, then it's a whole different ballpark. Also, pugs be the worst at tagging snipers and killing them lol :D

Grimwall
Dec 11, 2006

Product of Schizophrenia
Yeah the whole system with loot sucks, I am mostly treating the game like L4D now. I accepted that I won't be getting a better nade launcher or knife or curios and instead I am trying to get better mechanically, like dodging, sliding, positioning e.t.c. Working surprisingly well for me so far.

ZoninSilver
May 30, 2011
I keep forgetting you can block while reviving, hasn't burned me yet but I know it eventually will

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

ZoninSilver posted:

I keep forgetting you can block while reviving, hasn't burned me yet but I know it eventually will

You don't have to, it blocks automatically

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
Yeah, the early day's of "they took that away, wtf" was mostly people sprinting to their downed teammates and not having stamina to actually do the block.

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Now, in the quantum moment before the closure, when all become one. One moment left. One point of space and time.

I know who you are. You are destiny.

tbf they had to fix block while reviving in a patch

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

Sharkopath posted:

The existing Soul Flame feats should get folded into being core parts of Brain Burst and replaced by feats that would further boost it to more potent levels

Also got to try the Flamer and Maul on Zealot and both are fun and combo together fairly well

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."
Huh, two consecutive missions I get Legendary/Transcendent lasguns as rewards. Guess I'm trying out the Helbore, I think I read Onslaught is pretty mandatory for it to be usable? Extra stamina might be good with the feat for boosting aimed crits for stamina expenditure. But does sustained fire even work on a Helbore?

Only registered members can see post attachments!

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
Sustained fire you'll have to check in the meatgrinder, please report back :v:

Hopefully the hellbore is ok now they've fixed that weird bug where it wouldn't fire randomly.

Vagabong
Mar 2, 2019
Stamina is easily the best relic bonus right? It gives guaranteed immunity while blocking and reviving and let's you push more, which can get you out of a lot of sticky situations; in comparison extra toughness suffers from diminishing returns at higher levels and more wounds is just making you better at something you shouldn't be doing anyway.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
Toughness is way better for the vet because they get to trade for far longer with the shooters, but yeah in general stamina/wounds/health in that order for me.

Wounds is important because a single hosed up poxburster hit (and sometimes i go to shove it, then dodge back and a pubbie shoots it) will put you in "actually dead" territory.

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Now, in the quantum moment before the closure, when all become one. One moment left. One point of space and time.

I know who you are. You are destiny.

It's not like you're gonna avoid wounds like some kind of ninja. That poo poo will get you anyway, I like the security of having spares.

Senethro
May 18, 2005

I unironically think I'm Garret, Master Thief.

Vagabong posted:

Stamina is easily the best relic bonus right? It gives guaranteed immunity while blocking and reviving and let's you push more, which can get you out of a lot of sticky situations; in comparison extra toughness suffers from diminishing returns at higher levels and more wounds is just making you better at something you shouldn't be doing anyway.

It's a bit different in DT where some weapons and classes are oversupplied in stamina and others not. In VT2 you could trait yourself with 60% block cost reduction, + 30% stamina regen and suddenly even Cataclysm felt much less of a clenched experience.

You may note those stats are now only available in 10s and 12s, so now you'll just have to ask yourself if the stamina you've got lets you clear hordes without being touched. Most ogryn weapons don't need more stamina.

boredsatellite
Dec 7, 2013

Black Griffon posted:

It's not like you're gonna avoid wounds like some kind of ninja. That poo poo will get you anyway, I like the security of having spares.

Agreed. Can't play almost hitless like I did in VT2 and I end up getting hosed up often.

Maybe it's a trait I end up dropping if I get stupidly good at the game but that will take like 500 hours lol

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

Reactor: Online
Sensors: Online
Weapons: Online

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL
Oh? Interesting bit of code diving I found:

https://www.reddit.com/r/DarkTide/comments/zpl8ed/psa_weapon_store_rerolls_are_coming_probably_with/

Reddit Post posted:

PSA: Weapon store re-rolls are coming (probably, with evidence)

I'm snooping around the weapon store API and I see the following in the configuration schema for the store:

"temporaryGoodsConfig": {
"rotation": "day_1/24",
"slots": 16,
"rerolls": {
"cost": {
"amount": 1000,
"type": "credits"
},
"costScalingFactor": 2,
"refundFraction": 1,
"rollLimit": 3
}
}
So you can re-roll 3 times at what looks to be a cost of 1 000 for the first, 2 000 for the second, and 4 000 for the third.

There's also this property on the current store in-game right now

"rerollsThisRotation": 0
I don't know when these were added (either they always existed or were planned/added in response to player feedback) but it looks like re-rolling may be coming to the weapon store.

Fishstick
Jul 9, 2005

Does not require preheating
Lol roll limit

Why have a limit AND a cash sink for rolls. Just let me pull the lever goddamnit.

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

Red Mundus posted:

Is it just me or does the new weapon for the ogryn have really lovely attacks? It feels so slow and sluggish. Try doing a push and then do a regular light attack and it takes forever to attack. Damage doesn't seem to good either. Powering up feels strong but then it takes even longer to attack and you can't seem to cancel the power up animation like vets can.

I'm surprised to see this reaction constantly as I never thought there'd be an Ogryn weapon that feels as good as the Bull Cleaver until the Power Maul came out.

The two initial light attacks are great for stragglers or lone walkers with the alternating diagonal light attacks after the initial two are just fantastic for mowing down hordes. If you'd rather just control a horde the heavy attacks are great for knocking things down and killing the initial few, with charged attack of either type being the ultimate crowd cc even if stuff is behind you.

The charged attacks also perfectly set up Thunderstrike blessing to let you chain stun ragers with the light attacks combo. You might even be able to do it without the blessing tbh.

I've been trying out the bleed feats paired with it and the extra damage helps finish thing off while they're stunned... Or so I thought, tested Ogryn's bleed feats in the psykanium and uh wow. 2 damage ticks on basic melee dudes, for about 10 damage with one stack? I'd rather just heavy attack again, goddamn.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

the zealots new weapon unlocks pretty early in the level curve so it was a nice surprise, i really liked it.

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Fishstick posted:

Lol roll limit

Why have a limit AND a cash sink for rolls. Just let me pull the lever goddamnit.

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

Evil Kit posted:

I've been trying out the bleed feats paired with it and the extra damage helps finish thing off while they're stunned... Or so I thought, tested Ogryn's bleed feats in the psykanium and uh wow. 2 damage ticks on basic melee dudes, for about 10 damage with one stack? I'd rather just heavy attack again, goddamn.

I feel similarly about the bleeds. They're mainly there to enable the bleed-based damage reduction.

Overall, I feel similarly to you about the Ogryn Power Maul, although I'm not as positive. Spamming heavy seems like the go-to crowd control ability, and it's a lot of stagger but not really great damage on hordes. The lights are a lot more damage (both on hordes and on elites/specials), but you have to go through the overhead/underhand moves before you start actually swinging the club in diagonals, so you actually have to aim and it takes a moment to wind up on a crowd. That feels really good when you bonk an elite then start on the trash, but doesn't feel great when you spin around and then whiff a swing on an enemy behind you, or when you just bop two zombies in a crowd of dozens.

The power swings do real damage on maniac armor (mainly dreg ragers, the naked ones with green vials on their backs, and muties) and carapace armor, and most ogryn weapons are bad against one or the other. However, it's not as good as the shovel on carapace or knives on maniac, and there's the big gap you have to get used to.

All in all, I do think the Power Maul is a reasonable weapon, but it's definitely not for me.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

If I could power up the power maul while running I might hate it a little bit less. It's just annoying finding the time to power it up when you also have to slow down to do it. If I could do it while sprinting and repositioning or whatever it wouldn't be as bad but as it is it's just more downtime that I can't really afford when I need to keep swinging for the fences to keep my toughness up and the bleed stacks going.

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

explosivo posted:

If I could power up the power maul while running I might hate it a little bit less. It's just annoying finding the time to power it up when you also have to slow down to do it. If I could do it while sprinting and repositioning or whatever it wouldn't be as bad but as it is it's just more downtime that I can't really afford when I need to keep swinging for the fences to keep my toughness up and the bleed stacks going.

You can do it while evading, and it takes pretty much the same amount of time. It would take some getting used to (and I never really did), but it's definitely doable.

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

Another pro of the power maul: it's the only melee weapon that can knock a dog off someone at range. The powered hit AOE stagger will knock a dog off someone it pounced on.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Cease to Hope posted:

You can do it while evading, and it takes pretty much the same amount of time. It would take some getting used to (and I never really did), but it's definitely doable.

Yeeeah I did start doing this but it still feels weird activating it before every swing. And when I would simply not have the time to activate it I couldn't help but think "I could just be using the shield or shovel right now and be doing way more damage quicker"

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

Reactor: Online
Sensors: Online
Weapons: Online

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL

Evil Kit posted:

I'm surprised to see this reaction constantly as I never thought there'd be an Ogryn weapon that feels as good as the Bull Cleaver until the Power Maul came out.
Lmao, I'm exactly the opposite. I keep seeing people swearing by the Maul and I just loving hate it. Bull Cleaver for life. :shobon:

Evil Kit posted:

Yeah, the bleed feats are super underwhelming. I tried running them with the Shield at launch and... eh. You'd thing that you're applying bleed to a whole bunch of enemies at a time so you're still getting a lot of damage but the bleed damage itself is low enough that it doesn't make a difference when bullying a horde, and even less for bigger targets. The damage reduction per bleeding enemy sounds great on paper but chaff dies so fast that you almost never have it up on over 2-3 stacks and even then it's not for long.

Magitek
Feb 20, 2008

That's not jolly.
That's not jolly at all!
Bleed is worthless against chaff (unless you’re right on the border of some breakpoint), its value lies with enemies where you can stack it up. Each individual bleed stack does more damage the more stacks are present, so it’s geometric growth. Hit a Bulwark a few times, even through his shield, and you’ll see the bleed ticking for 160 damage multiple times per second. It’s not amazing, but still a lot more damage than trying to melee him down without bleed.

The best answer is to just pull out the Stubber and lay into elites, but that’s not always possible

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

Now that's a knoife. Except I don't know anything about knife blessings and perks.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

Did this last night when leveling my Vet. Pain.

loaded up a level 5 map and then killed myself for 25 xp.

Magitek posted:

Bleed is worthless against chaff (unless you’re right on the border of some breakpoint), its value lies with enemies where you can stack it up. Each individual bleed stack does more damage the more stacks are present, so it’s geometric growth. Hit a Bulwark a few times, even through his shield, and you’ll see the bleed ticking for 160 damage multiple times per second. It’s not amazing, but still a lot more damage than trying to melee him down without bleed.

The best answer is to just pull out the Stubber and lay into elites, but that’s not always possible

It's a little deceptive because for human sized enemies it's a pretty minor tick but for some reason Ogryn enemies get absolutely wrecked by bleed. "Monstrous size has no intrinsic merit, unless inordinate exsanguination be considered a virtue..."

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Passburger posted:

Like I a wrote "(assuming there's only 1 trapper)". If there's more than one, then it's a whole different ballpark. Also, pugs be the worst at tagging snipers and killing them lol :D

I always, always kill the trapper first. The vast majority of the time, it's easy enough to do with range while working my way to my trapped ally. I have seen too many times where that fucker comes back and traps someone else.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

I try to go for the trapper first but I'm tight fisted with my ammo and there is a little voice in my head going "you have a chainsaw shred stun, you can just melee them, just slide under the net and you'll be fine, it counts as a ranged weapon". Spoiler: it doesn't work

wedgie deliverer
Oct 2, 2010

I got trapped on a run yesterday as we were jumping down to a point of no return so they couldn't come back for me, and they had to wait for me to slowly die before progressing.

Trappers are the most dangerous elites.

widespread
Aug 5, 2013

I believe I am now no longer in the presence of nice people.

CuddleCryptid posted:

It's a little deceptive because for human sized enemies it's a pretty minor tick but for some reason Ogryn enemies get absolutely wrecked by bleed. "Monstrous size has no intrinsic merit, unless inordinate exsanguination be considered a virtue..."

That said, the punch special with a knife also causes bleed stacks. It probably isn't as effective if you can't stagger the target, but by the God-Emperor I will punch the blood out :black101:

Exodee
Mar 30, 2011

Damp and depressing.
It must be a goon in its
natural habitat!

Passburger posted:

Like a lot of things it depends on context; if a teammate just got netted and you're right behind them then it's better to get them out of that net ASAP, especially since trappers tend to stick around for a bit and are easy pickings afterwards. But if it's been a while then the trapper might have (almost) finished reloading her gun so then you're better off just killing her just in case.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

How does the Veteran's deadshot feat work? Is it just when aiming?

quote:

Deadshot: When using your weapon’s Alt Fire, gain 25% Critical Chance and 60% Sway Reduction but lose 10% Stamina per second, and an additional 5% for each shot.