Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

squirrelzipper
Nov 2, 2011

Keyboard chat: I just recently built a mechanical keyboard from GMMK. I got the GMMK 2 65%. It's a generic keyboard really, I went with some custom stuff and built it myself but they have a pre-built board that has reportedly really nice linear switches and ABS keycaps for a reasonable price and I can say the board itself is so far bullet proof. https://www.gloriousgaming.com/products/gmmk2 The marketing is RGB Gamer focussed. ymmv, but they have a Mac native firmware updater and the hardware is solid.

While I've often been a voice here about how Mac gaming is a fool's errand, I do have to eat crow a little bit, or at least say that if you want to see a modern AAA game on M1 hardware you can (WoW doesn't really count for this). I had someone gift me Resident Evil: Village and have been playing it and it's a good view into what the M1 / AS GPU can do with the right support. It has Metal 3 supersampling and FX support and HDR and on my MBP 16 it's easily one of the best looking games I've ever seen on Mac hardware.

Be warned, you have to buy it on the App Store and the version offered to Mac users is missing DLC that you get for the same price on PS/Xbox/PC at the moment. It's not good value if you have an alternative. BUT. It is really well done and although it doesn't yet support Metal RT (the raytracing accelerator) it is really impressive at least on the MBP promotion display with HDR. This does not give me hope that AAA Gaming is coming to Mac, it's probably not, but this title performs crazy good. And the fans never turn on. Like my MBP is silent while doing 1440 p+ upscaled HDR rendering at 90-120hz silently. Buy it if you want to go 'oooohhh, pretty'.

e; grammar, and also I'm playing it now and the HDR on this screen is loving crazy good

squirrelzipper fucked around with this message at 09:37 on Dec 19, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

I bought an Apple key for my mechanical keyboard on eBay for chump change. Easy peasy.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

Zil posted:

Okay, so hopefully this question won't start a fight this time, but does anyone have any recommendations on mac supported mechanical keyboards (brown switches preferred) or mice? Most of the functions work on the the ones I am using currently, but just little features that I am missing that make using what I previously used on windows annoying now.

For example I can no longer hold down the middle scroll wheel to drag a document back to the top, I have to scroll manually now. Also the function keys on my keyboard don't work and every time I restart the OS asks me to identify my keyboard.

Just looking for something that works out of the box I'm guessing.

Very hard to find in stock, but this is basically my dream keyboard: https://kinesis-ergo.com/keyboards/advantage360/. Fully split, wireless, programmable, tented, thumb keys, mechanical switches, key wells, no special driver requirement to run, and on-board memory.

If you want to wait several months, you can get it customized with a multitude of different switches, bigger battery, dampening sound foam, and more from https://upgradekeyboards.com/collections/kinesis-advantage360-keyboards. They are currently backordered because of unforseen popularity.

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

I use macs almost exclusively and I just use a VIA compatible mechanical keyboard and re-map my capslock and ctrl to command.

It's really nice.

track day bro!
Feb 17, 2005

#essereFerrari
Grimey Drawer

nitsuga posted:

My Keychron K2 has been pretty good. It’s nice and clacky. There’s a little switch to go between Windows and macOS, which you have to use if you want the media keys to work in Windows. It’s got multiple Bluetooth connections and a USB port, and really it hasn’t been any trouble over the last year or so going through all the permutations of ways it can connect.

I switched to a K2 from one of the old Apple bluetooth keyboards that took AA batteries. Works great and does all the mac specific stuff that the Apple keyboard did while feeling a lot nicer. But this is literally the only mechanical keyboard I've ever used so it might be crap idk.

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

Zil posted:

Okay, so hopefully this question won't start a fight this time, but does anyone have any recommendations on mac supported mechanical keyboards (brown switches preferred) or mice? Most of the functions work on the the ones I am using currently, but just little features that I am missing that make using what I previously used on windows annoying now.

For example I can no longer hold down the middle scroll wheel to drag a document back to the top, I have to scroll manually now. Also the function keys on my keyboard don't work and every time I restart the OS asks me to identify my keyboard.

Just looking for something that works out of the box I'm guessing.
I own and love a WASD with a mac layout. The correct pointing device is a Magic Trackpad but if you must use a mouse the MX Master 3 is the way to go

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD posted:

The correct pointing device is a Magic Trackpad

I haven't used a mouse in ten years because of those two models

:iia:

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE
I still use my now fairly ancient Logitech G702 gaming mouse and powerplay mat for when I’m playing a video game but the rest of the time I use a Magic Trackpad. Using a mouse to navigate MacOS and surf the web and stuff just feel so primitive and annoying now. When I have to use a pc I miss my trackpad but I know any windows trackpad I use will be poo poo in comparison.

silence_kit
Jul 14, 2011

by the sex ghost

The Lord Bude posted:

Using a mouse to navigate MacOS and surf the web and stuff just feel so primitive and annoying now.

Lol

nitsuga
Jan 1, 2007

I’ll say it, there’s no shame in being a mouse user. Or to prefer it.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

It’s the scrolling. Using a scroll wheel after you’ve done multitouch scrolling just sucks.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

The Lord Bude posted:

It’s the scrolling. Using a scroll wheel after you’ve done multitouch scrolling just sucks.

The most no-effort scrolling ever designed

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

CAUTION: POST QUALITY UNDER CONSTRUCTION

The rapid/hyperscroll feature on Logitech's mice is probably one of my all-time favorite QoL options and it will pried from my cold, dead hands (or, just stop working just after Logitech's standard 2-year warranty)...

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

The Lord Bude posted:

Using a mouse to navigate MacOS and surf the web and stuff just feel so primitive and annoying now.

this has rapidly become my new favorite gimmick account, I apologize to the thread for wasting people’s time tilting at Bude’s windmill

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

I'll finally pick up an Apple Trackpad when they switch them over to USB C. My Logitech MX Master 3 is fine, but I often find myself missing the trackpad gestures at my desk.

So I'll probably just use Keyboard/Trackpad/Mouse concurrently like a weirdo. Should I throw a Trackball in there for good measure?

Brian Worms
May 29, 2007
You need one of those hosed up thumb-centric trackballs for sure.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Brian Worms posted:

You need one of those hosed up thumb-centric trackballs for sure.

Edit: better yet

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

nothing wrong with mice at all but a big reason why i ended up switching to macs is that no other laptop i've used or tried in a store has had a decent trackpad in comparison. at the time i'd have said keyboard as well tho i'm now using a late intel mbp with the comparatively lovely one. better after the warrantly replacement tho

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

i've a colleague who swears by trackballs and has a collection of them
kinda odd

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

Ok Comboomer posted:

Edit: better yet

This looks like what you’d get if Dyson turned their attention to making computer peripherals.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

The Lord Bude posted:

This looks like what you’d get if Dyson turned their attention to making computer peripherals.

https://www.engadget.com/2016-12-06-novint-falcon-haptic-joystick-sex-toy.html

https://www.engadget.com/2005-02-16-novint-falcon-takes-technology-from-nuclear-science-to-video.html

lmao they ran out of hype and potential customers after 11 years so they stuck a dildo on it and tried to market it as a sex toy. Brilliant.

Apparently you can still buy new ones for like $400-500. Google searches pull up a fair number of preowned ones in the ~$100 range too

trilobite terror fucked around with this message at 02:34 on Dec 20, 2022

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

shrike82 posted:

i've a colleague who swears by trackballs and has a collection of them
kinda odd

Trackballs are amazing when you have limited real-estate or no solid surface to use a mouse on. Especially if you can get one that lets you keep your hand in a handshake grip.

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

CatelynIsAZombie
Nov 16, 2006

I can't wait to bomb DO-DON-GOES!
What are the recommendations for Memory size/SSD size if you're buying an m1 imac? 256/512 seems absolutely miniscule, if you were going to upgrade one or the other (memory, storage) which is the most useful?

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Memory over storage any day. You can always connect an external SSD , you can't connect more RAM

Lincoln
May 12, 2007

Ladies.
ME AM USE APPLE MAGIC KEYBOARD

BastardAus
Jun 3, 2003
Chunder from Down Under
The M1 range is a massive speed increase – on chip. Get as much RAM/HDD as you can.

BastardAus fucked around with this message at 13:43 on Dec 20, 2022

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Yeah especially for an iMac that isn’t moving you’d be way better off getting 16gb and spending the SSD money on a nice USB-C external drive that’ll likely get you more space for the same money.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

I barely ever use the internal drive on my Macs. I dunno, I think it's from the old days of HDDs where you'd never work from the internal.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
256/32

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

as a daily user of adobe's lovely rear end software, i can't imagine using less than 32gb of memory these days. i'd max out ram no matter the cost

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

Lincoln posted:

ME AM USE APPLE MAGIC KEYBOARD

:same:

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

Quantum of Phallus posted:

as a daily user of adobe's lovely rear end software, i can't imagine using less than 32gb of memory these days. i'd max out ram no matter the cost

16 is doing me fine for my light software development workload, tbh. Can't really run multiple vm's or anything heavy like that, but enough to have safari with lots of tabs, discord, slack, terminal, an ide, a couple phone emulators, and a SQL instance all running at once without noticeable swap file thrashing.

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

16 is more than fine for anybody not using industry-specific software like Adobe or film editing or vms or something.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

64/128 and store everything in the cloud

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
One day I hope to have more RAM than storage

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

I like using the internal storage it’s fast spot for holding all my .git files :frogbon:

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

I thought due to the cloud usage and a poo poo ton of external storage hanging off my Mini that the 256 would be enough, but ehhhh it's more of a tight squeeze than I'd like it to be. I'll probably add a fast external SSD (I have a regular one attached already but the internal one creams it) and move things like caches and libraries across to that in the next year and hopefully that'll be enough headroom to deal with then.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
Whatever you do, don’t get so little internal storage that you can’t put all of your apps and downloads and software updates and poo poo on the boot drive.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zachol
Feb 13, 2009

Once per turn, you can Tribute 1 WATER monster you control (except this card) to Special Summon 1 WATER monster from your hand. The monster Special Summoned by this effect is destroyed if "Raging Eria" is removed from your side of the field.
Yeah apps and project files tend to be the biggest thing because they never like being on an external.
Also people should get the Elecom HUGE trackball.