Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
Thanks for the curvy screen deets, peeps

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

The trouble with your "expendable machines"
Fun Shoe

learnincurve posted:

3 weeks to see a nurse, 3 months to see a doctor to get put on a waiting list for the BC implant. The first part is not "a the NHS is under strain, don't be horrible to them and wait your turn!!!" thing, it's a Royal Primary Care are dogshit thing. They have a Nurse sat there doing nothing for 3 days a week because they have decided those days are reserved for Diabetes foot checks, flu jabs and annual reviews. No one turns up or books any of these appointments. I know this because they put the nurse booking system online. Meanwhile it's a 3 week wait for diabetics to get a blood test. This is loving insane.

It's one of those insane target things the GPs have to do I bet.

I repeat myself from previously - GPs are set a target for the number of patients they see in person vs remote. So if they decide to see more people face to face (which is far more productive in some circumstances), they get rapped.

To be fair there are quite a few things that everyone would most likely prefer to be dealt with over the phone (hey I need a repeat prescription) but putting flat ratios and penalizing clinicians who do differently is just insane.

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

?!,???!!?! Anyone?

https://twitter.com/RoyalMintUK/status/1604559625004716032

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.
Royal in the soil :pray:

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Likely sex offender on legal tender

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!
oval office on a punt

Convex
Aug 19, 2010
chuck on a buck?

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

Nonce Defender on Legal Tender ?

Dead Goon
Dec 13, 2002

No Obvious Flaws

I will make sure to save my first King Brian coin and use it on my scratch cards. Our royal majesty is sure to bring me good luck,

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

groin on a coin

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.
Lmao

https://mobile.twitter.com/hmtreasury/status/1604805454747828226

Only Kindness
Oct 12, 2016
Perverse on the obverse.

Diet Crack
Jan 15, 2001

how are his fat fingers ever going to hold such a tiny coin

xtothez
Jan 4, 2004

College Slice
Charles of the House Windsor, third of His Name, King of the Toffs and the Gammon, Lord of a failing kingdom and Protector of a Nonce... on a tuppence

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Big poo poo on a planchet.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

So I was trying to see if they had some sort of commemorative shilling in the mint and I don't think they do, but uh... i did find something...

Act of union with doggerland there, I think.

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

Christ

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

Another “sterling” effort by a loving brand trying to do memes. Jesus

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
Mid on a quid

mrpwase
Apr 21, 2010

I HAVE GREAT AVATAR IDEAS
For the Many, Not the Few

No I'm fairly sure it's oval office on a punt, that would be better for your public image

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Knob on a bob

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Nothing but the highest of effort for my king.

No-count on a brand account.

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-
I'm still not sure what elf on a shelf is and I do not wish to learn.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
It's an elf. He's on a shelf

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
One of the fair folk on the side oak. Sworn enemy of dwarf on the wharf and the halfling on the towel ring.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.

big scary monsters posted:

As someone who has learned, I highly recommend not learning

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

this is when you find out that in RP it’s pronounced differently and extremely stupid

mrpwase
Apr 21, 2010

I HAVE GREAT AVATAR IDEAS
For the Many, Not the Few

Bentham, Jeremy promoting philosophical tyranny

kecske
Feb 28, 2011

it's round, like always

it's the normalisation ritual for children to accept constant surveillance op

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I always find it funny that the panopticon was supposed to be an improvement for the prisoners lol

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Listen buddy, we all got problems!

Private Speech posted:

I don't think it's happening to be honest, it's easy to say that everyone should move to a new platform but not so easy to put into practice, the institutional inertia is very much with Twitter and the alternatives suck in a major way.

You can point to MySpace and all but the adoption was far less universal back then, especially from the wider society like politicians etc.

The bleed has started and it's not like twitter has been growing for years. Maybe twitter won't totally die but it's already the social network people are least likely to have of the big ones and I just see it becoming even more irrelevant over time now.

As for alternatives, once mastodon fixes its awful cross server follow experience I think it could end up being better in most ways.

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

Mega Comrade posted:

As for alternatives, once mastodon fixes its awful cross server follow experience I think it could end up being better in most ways.

Isn't that pretty fundamental to the platform? Plus all the stuff about server admins having access to DMs.

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Cross instance follows work. Just the process is confusing to new users.
As for server admins and DMs, I agree E2E DMs are important and I am glad they are being worked on, but their current state is no different to how twitter works currently.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Mega Comrade posted:

The bleed has started and it's not like twitter has been growing for years. Maybe twitter won't totally die but it's already the social network people are least likely to have of the big ones and I just see it becoming even more irrelevant over time now.

Twitter's not going anywhere until news sites start offering embeds for an alternative, that's the platform's main strength. It's not about how many people you can reach on Twitter, it's about journalists being able to take your tweet and copy/paste it onto their own site and that's your real reach

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
The biggest problem for Mastodon is their decentralized open source ethic is at odds with monetizing people's data to sell to brands.

That's good for end users, but not for anyone that's likely to want to promote it as a thing in the media or marketplace. Got to hawk lovely coins and shittier journalist takes.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."

Guavanaut posted:

The biggest problem for Mastodon is their decentralized open source ethic is at odds with monetizing people's data to sell to brands.

That's good for end users, but not for anyone that's likely to want to promote it as a thing in the media or marketplace. Got to hawk lovely coins and shittier journalist takes.

Also adds that barrier to signup where you pick a server, even if it's fairly immaterial, which will put some people off but is also what prevents what's happening to Twitter happening to it.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting

Mega Comrade posted:

Twitter dead

People here are perhaps more likely to be anti musk than elsewhere yet there's still like multiple tweets per page and I don't think I've ever seen a Mastodon or whatever.

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

NotJustANumber99 posted:

People here are perhaps more likely to be anti musk than elsewhere yet there's still like multiple tweets per page and I don't think I've ever seen a Mastodon or whatever.

To be pedantic, I said dying, not dead. And I'm not sure if it matters if your anti elon or not. Advertisers have abandoned twitter, so unless he does a 180 on his moderation policy to appease them then it's gonna be bankrupt within months.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa
Ninny on a guinea

Rarity posted:

It's an elf. He's on a shelf

Why always elves? Why never :psydwarf: on a :barf:?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

Lololololol

https://twitter.com/BreakingDotUK/status/1604866653988208645