Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Negostrike
Aug 15, 2015

In the arcade-y air combat games topic, Sky Rogue is fun as hell

https://store.steampowered.com/app/381020/Sky_Rogue/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
It's pretty fun on switch. You can take the joy cons and use them as a hotas setup.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

X-Plane 12 is out of early access now. Downloading the demo from the official website and going to try that. If performance is better than MSFS (a low loving bar) than I plan on buying it.

JayKay
Sep 11, 2001

And you thought they were cute and cuddly.

I've been watching Top Gun Maverick and it makes me want to upgrade my HOTAS to a WinWing Orion 2.

Someone talk me out of it

Hekk
Oct 12, 2012

'smeper fi

JayKay posted:

I've been watching Top Gun Maverick and it makes me want to upgrade my HOTAS to a WinWing Orion 2.

I guess that depends on what you are stepping up from. If it's better than an X-56, you should totally get the nicer poo poo and give me your old setup.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

JayKay posted:

Its on sale right now for $280, do it. Their entire collection right now is on deep discount.

kemikalkadet
Sep 16, 2012

:woof:

I said come in! posted:

Its on sale right now for $280, do it. Their entire collection right now is on deep discount.

I'd jump on this immediately but the Z-axis kit has been sold out forever. I'm right in thinking you need that to add a twist axis to the stick right? It's less of an issue for DCS/MSFS for me but I'd absolutely need it for Elite:Dangerous.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

kemikalkadet posted:

I'd jump on this immediately but the Z-axis kit has been sold out forever. I'm right in thinking you need that to add a twist axis to the stick right? It's less of an issue for DCS/MSFS for me but I'd absolutely need it for Elite:Dangerous.

Ooh right, this is a good call out. I would be using this for Elite Dangerous as well, and that would hinder the game greatly for me. What are some other really good current generation joysticks for Elite Dangerous?

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority

I said come in! posted:

Ooh right, this is a good call out. I would be using this for Elite Dangerous as well, and that would hinder the game greatly for me. What are some other really good current generation joysticks for Elite Dangerous?

VKB has a grip designed specifically for space combat games, rather than being a copy of an actual airplane. It includes a twist axis.

https://vkbcontrollers.com/?product=gladiator-evo-space-combat-edition

They also have this grip for the Gunfighter series, which is their higher end product. That said, the VKB budget stuff (the Gladiator/NXT series) is still an excellent product line that compares favorably to the top-end mainstream offerings. Unless you're gonna do some simpit shenanigans where you extend the joystick and poo poo, the NXT series will be all you need for many years to come, if not forever.

AzureSkys
Apr 27, 2003

I had a strange experience earlier while trying to learn the A320. I grabbed a DAL flight number and routing off Flightaware to do a Seattle to Portland flight and got it all set up. I then had to leave for a bit and came back to then continue. I was using the in-game ATC and following their instructions for my call sign but not really paying attention to them.

On final they said traffic was close and above me. I looked out of the plane and it was the AI traffic using the real life setting for the same flight number I was doing also on final just behind me. I had no idea it was actually flying at my same time and somehow I managed to exactly mimic it. Looking back I realized some of the ATC calls were repeated, but I figured it was just due to the usual bugginess it has.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

I said come in! posted:

Really good?
Virpil. Always virpil. :haw:

In particular, their Constellation Alpha grips (come in Left and Right configurations) on top on either of their bases (tabletop or table mounted), with no-centre cams and loose (or not very tensioned) springs. They have optional twist, with lockout if you don't need it for whatever reason, and all their bases are immensely programmable and flexible. The programming software is made by hardware guys and is therefore a bit unintuitive, but once you get them set up, you don't need any other software layer or extra drivers or anything — it's all done in hardware and transfers to whatever you plug it into.

It costs… ehm… a fair bit, but the annoying thing about Virpil stuff is that you almost get what you pay for. 💸💸💸

Tippis fucked around with this message at 13:48 on Dec 19, 2022

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Seconding Virpil hardware is wonderful but also very expensive. I justified it when I realized I had been playing flight sims consistently for almost 30 years.

FPS_Sage
Oct 25, 2007

This was a triumph
Gun Saliva
Thirding Virpil. I bought the CM3 throttle and Constellation Alpha stick a little less than a year ago following some recommendations from this thread, and have been very pleased with them despite the high cost. I agree that the software is not very intuitive, but the folks over on the virpil forums are very helpful, and there have been some excellent youtube tutorials made.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

AzureSkys posted:

I had a strange experience earlier while trying to learn the A320. I grabbed a DAL flight number and routing off Flightaware to do a Seattle to Portland flight and got it all set up. I then had to leave for a bit and came back to then continue. I was using the in-game ATC and following their instructions for my call sign but not really paying attention to them.

On final they said traffic was close and above me. I looked out of the plane and it was the AI traffic using the real life setting for the same flight number I was doing also on final just behind me. I had no idea it was actually flying at my same time and somehow I managed to exactly mimic it. Looking back I realized some of the ATC calls were repeated, but I figured it was just due to the usual bugginess it has.

At least you figured out what happened. I was given a go around on short final for 1L at Las Vegas when there was no plane on the runway in front of me and don't hear half the radio calls anyway.

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

Virpil and VKB would be my two choices, I have a VKB stick and Virpil throttle and will probably use them forever at this point since they're so well built.

Xakura
Jan 10, 2019

A safety-conscious little mouse!

Tippis posted:

Really good?
Virpil. Always virpil. :haw:

Having owned both, vkb > virpil

the milk machine
Jul 23, 2002

lick my keys
i haven't tried flying the spruce goose yet, but is there a way i can fly a c-130 or a c-17 or similar in msfs? or i dunno, can i cruise around in one in dcs?

what about the super guppy or a beluga or something? just wondering what kind of real sicko airplanes are out there.

i love cruising around in the carenado skymaster, so i'm always interested in other weirdo options

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

there's a c130 coming to dcs at some point, probably for $70

no c17

I don't think there's anything really comparable to those in msfs either

pdmg has the dc6 for msfs, that plane is pretty out there if you ask me

azflyboy
Nov 9, 2005

the milk machine posted:

i haven't tried flying the spruce goose yet, but is there a way i can fly a c-130 or a c-17 or similar in msfs? or i dunno, can i cruise around in one in dcs?

what about the super guppy or a beluga or something? just wondering what kind of real sicko airplanes are out there.

i love cruising around in the carenado skymaster, so i'm always interested in other weirdo options

There's a freeware C-17 that's still a work in progress, and there's a payware C-17 (and a C-5 from the same developer) supposed to be out in 2023.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

CBJSprague24 posted:

At least you figured out what happened. I was given a go around on short final for 1L at Las Vegas when there was no plane on the runway in front of me and don't hear half the radio calls anyway.

I mostly just ignore ATC. Between the bugs from the planes, the bugs in ATC, and the interaction with all that and the third party airport, it barely works even on its on own terms.

Like, I’ll be at BUR and it won’t let me depart from 15, motherfucker they’re launching like that right this minute I can hear them overhead, they’ll have me go out from 26, which is where everyone lands. It won’t let me choose or change it once it’s made the wrong choice, so I just do what I want.

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
Yes, no ATC is better than the game's ATC.

If you want the flavor background sound just play something from LiveATC.

If you want a real ATC experience join VATSIM.

Scruff McGruff
Feb 13, 2007

Jesus, kid, you're almost a detective. All you need now is a gun, a gut, and three ex-wives.

the milk machine posted:

There's a C-130 mod for DCS that seems pretty good, it's been used in one of the goon campaigns so hopefully one of those guys can comment on it.

https://forum.dcs.world/topic/252075-dcs-super-hercules-mod-by-anubis/

Bedurndurn
Dec 4, 2008
I think they're also doing a C-130 as a full fledged module. gently caress if I know why though. The number of people interested in paying $60 to fly rubber dogshit out of Hong Kong while other people have fighter jets is probably very small.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

Bedurndurn posted:

I think they're also doing a C-130 as a full fledged module. gently caress if I know why though. The number of people interested in paying $60 to fly rubber dogshit out of Hong Kong while other people have fighter jets is probably very small.

They put Kai Tek in MFS and since there is a Top Gun module as well, so you literally can fly rubber dogshit out of Hong Kong after washing out :v:

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013

Bedurndurn posted:

https://youtu.be/BglRiE0-3fg

This is the mod in use. Official DLC will be made by same people.

It will be used in goon campaign when it releases.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

I was flying the 320neo MSY-FLL (which is a dumb life choice at night, but I've been going from coast to coast in it and this is the last leg) and, after a couple good flights DEN-DFW-MSY (with the only snag being FSLTL spawning an A321 into me on short final at DFW), the autopilot seems to continuously want to enter into a left turn and to be ~250 feet below cruise.

Deciding that I'd speed the process up, I traveled to the start of descent to find myself at 1000' North of Sarasota doing 450kts.

I backed out of it and decided I would do something else for the rest of the night before i had an aneurysm.

Lord Stimperor
Jun 13, 2018

I'm a lovable meme.

skooma512 posted:

They put Kai Tek in MFS and since there is a Top Gun module as well, so you literally can fly rubber dogshit out of Hong Kong after washing out :v:

And Kai Tek is one of my favorite airports. There's approach plates for it around still, and they still work.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Zero One posted:

Pilotedge.

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
I hope you're not flying the stock neo in msfs, at least install the A32NX mod. The fms isn't quite complete yet in the mod so don't expect non-ILS approaches to work but other than that everything seems to work pretty well. The EFB in particular is excellent.

Or try the A310. I really like the A310.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

Bedurndurn posted:

Campaigns, both scripted missions and dynamic PvP/PvE 24/7 servers, have a large contingent of logistics flyers, usually in helicopters or the trainer P-51. Paradrops and bombing are also available with the mod version. The appeal of an AC-130 gunship is also extremely easy to understand if that comes as part of the module.

Wolfy
Jul 13, 2009

Bedurndurn posted:

Do you even know what thread you’re posting in?

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

i believe they said the AC130 will not be part of the module

and i will pay $79.99 for it

the milk machine
Jul 23, 2002

lick my keys
i want to put the world's largest piece of rubber dogshit in a beluga and open the hatch as i pilot it directly into mar a lago

yeah the dreamlifter could carry a bigger piece of rubber dogshit but it doesn't look as funny as the beluga

looks like somebody sells the beluga for xplane, maybe i'll start sending them emails telling them to get with the program

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

ethanol posted:

i believe they said the AC130 will not be part of the module

and i will pay $79.99 for it

IIRC they did say that for the mod but they still had rudimentary gunship stuff in there, I wouldn’t be surprised if that was expanded.

Chuck_D
Aug 25, 2003

Zero One posted:

Yes, no ATC is better than the game's ATC.

If you want the flavor background sound just play something from LiveATC.

Agreed. The number of times I've been given an approach clearance to a 25+ knot quartering tailwind is astronomical. I was denied a vfr approach to an airport last weekend because it was "ifr" only to find it clear blue and a million when I got there.

Hekk
Oct 12, 2012

'smeper fi

Speaking of flying rubber dog poo poo out of Hong Kong, does anyone have any experience with Air Hauler 2? I've watched a few youtube videos of people using it and it looks interesting enough. I like sandboxes but having a reason to fly a bunch of short hop flights might help keep up the motivation to continue flying regularly.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

the milk machine posted:

i want to put the world's largest piece of rubber dogshit in a beluga and open the hatch as i pilot it directly into mar a lago

yeah the dreamlifter could carry a bigger piece of rubber dogshit but it doesn't look as funny as the beluga

looks like somebody sells the beluga for xplane, maybe i'll start sending them emails telling them to get with the program

Dang, I didn't even think about flying into that. I'll have to reinstall MSFS.

JayKay
Sep 11, 2001

And you thought they were cute and cuddly.

iniBuilds is doing their Christmas sale right now. Their Airbus 300/310/Beluga are all on sale each for 9 Brit Bucks. £9.99

Do note that these are for XP11. I believe ini has said official XP12 support is coming soon for the A300.

FWIW, I was able to use the A300 and A310 in the XP12 beta without any issues. They just didn't have all the new lighting effects and etc.

JayKay fucked around with this message at 19:55 on Dec 20, 2022

Fuzzie Dunlop
Apr 14, 2013

Hekk posted:

Speaking of flying rubber dog poo poo out of Hong Kong, does anyone have any experience with Air Hauler 2? I've watched a few youtube videos of people using it and it looks interesting enough. I like sandboxes but having a reason to fly a bunch of short hop flights might help keep up the motivation to continue flying regularly.

I think NeoFly is the recommendation at this point to get your "progression" fix. It's free, has a bunch of features, and I think is still being regularly updated. Air Hauler I think still has the weird attachment to a real world calendar, so if you end up busy IRL and can't fly for a few weeks/months you've still paid fees on everything in sim world. That and the developer's hardline stance against an ability to turn it off made NeoFly the obvious choice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Squiggle
Sep 29, 2002

I don't think she likes the special sauce, Rick.

Oh poo poo, I need to see if NeoFly has started accounting for helicopters. Helicopter jobs, baby, give em to me