Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

biglads
Feb 21, 2007

I could've gone to Blatherwycke

I've had some doggos delivered but can't figure out how to get them out of their cages. Can anyone point me in the right direction?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mst4k
Apr 18, 2003

budlitemolaram

biglads posted:

I've had some doggos delivered but can't figure out how to get them out of their cages. Can anyone point me in the right direction?

Make a pen/pasture and assign them to it and the dwarves should let them out of their cages and then you’ll have a million dogs

Gnoman
Feb 12, 2014

Come, all you fair and tender maids
Who flourish in your pri-ime
Beware, take care, keep your garden fair
Let Gnoman steal your thy-y-me
Le-et Gnoman steal your thyme

Easiest way is to simply assign them to a pasture. Then you can remove them from the pasture once they're running around there.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
Install the cage somewhere, then when you click the cage there's a checkbox

Power Walrus
Dec 24, 2003

Fun Shoe

Azhais posted:

Can you still just entomb your vampires in spectacular offices and make them eternal bookkeepers?

Ymmv, but I recall having a very popular vampire Mayor caged up inside the tavern. He got to chat with everybody, and served as a tourist attraction.
It seemed like he was content with all the conversation.

I haven’t played since the general advice was to avoid aquifers, is that still the case? I figure I’ll need to sort fresh water and I kind of forgot how I used to do it.

Power Walrus fucked around with this message at 17:14 on Dec 19, 2022

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
Light aquifers barely even qualify as an annoyance so I wouldn't let them scare you.

biglads
Feb 21, 2007

I could've gone to Blatherwycke

Thanks for the doggo advice :)

madmatt112
Jul 11, 2016

Is that a cat in your pants, or are you just a lonely excuse for an adult?

Power Walrus posted:

Ymmv, but I recall having a very popular vampire Mayor caged up inside the tavern. He got to chat with everybody, and served as a tourist attraction.

I haven’t played since the general advice was to avoid aquifers, is that still the case? I figure I’ll need to sort fresh water and I kind of forgot how I used to do it.

Light aquifers can be pretty easily bored through by mining out at least one tile around your stairs and then constructing walls to seal the staircase. The water leaks out of the (natural) walls at a very slow pace and will evaporate if you avoid it pooling too deep (ie forget that you were breaching an aquifer halfway through :crab:)
Heavy aquifers are hosed up and I’ve never bothered. Apparently when DF only had one aquifer type, they behaved like heavy aquifers.

Loving the idea of caging my mayor up, doubly so on public display. “This is what you voted for, hope you like lookin at it”

Mister Bates
Aug 4, 2010
a play in two acts

vomit is not particularly sturdy

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?
Embarked on the edge of a haunted wasteland, figured I'd be mostly ok as long as I don't do anything too crazy. Winter hits and because the haunted area is actually slightly warmer the river doesn't freeze there, but does start to lower, and then the carp all died...

Currently walled in watching zombie carp eat the elves

Spaced God
Feb 8, 2014

All torment, trouble, wonder and amazement
Inhabits here: some heavenly power guide us
Out of this fearful country!

I have giant wrens and peregrine falcons that keep diving and taking harmless potshots at my dwarves when they get agitated. They're not a problem except for a few children getting pecked into the swamps and drowning, but they cause constant cancellation waves that make the alerts basically unusable. Any ideas on how to deal with them or do I just have to cope?

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

Mister Bates posted:

a play in two acts

vomit is not particularly sturdy

Victorious but at what cost. That militia is going to be sticking their hands in lava.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
Are alerts ever usable? "Combat" being everything from someone falling out of a tree to hunters killing innocent capybara to demons running amok in your tavern means I already miss things because it's always up. The cancellation notices from work orders means that icon is there permanently with dozens of lines. Other than ALERT, DIPLOMACY, PETITION, and the red eyes I find everything that pops up on the left to be completely useless due to alert fatigue

Kharan
Jun 28, 2005
Ned is dead

Help, help, I'm being repressed! A fire-belching forgotten beast arrived, the first thing to actually cause any harm. By harm I mean making the game unplayable, because it lit the forest up, causing the game to auto-pause every second when a tree falls down.

How do I modify the config file so it doesn't pause on tree falling down?

edit: nvm, I figured out that you have to remove the :P: and :R: tags in announcements.txt so it's like this:
[CAVE_COLLAPSE:A_D:D_D]

Kharan fucked around with this message at 18:20 on Dec 19, 2022

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?
Oh god the humans are here and the carp notice

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

What happens if two caravans show up at once? Will one unload after the first leaves, or should I build a second trade depot?

Related to the above, I have a ton of bags of various materials that my dwarves refuse to haul out of my existing depot. I have a stockpile set to accept furniture --> bags. Is there something I'm missing?

Mister Bates
Aug 4, 2010

Bold Robot posted:

What happens if two caravans show up at once? Will one unload after the first leaves, or should I build a second trade depot?

Related to the above, I have a ton of bags of various materials that my dwarves refuse to haul out of my existing depot. I have a stockpile set to accept furniture --> bags. Is there something I'm missing?

when you trade at the depot with multiple caravans present, you get the option to select which caravan you trade with, allowing you to trade with both of them at the same depot

Azhais posted:

Are alerts ever usable? "Combat" being everything from someone falling out of a tree to hunters killing innocent capybara to demons running amok in your tavern means I already miss things because it's always up. The cancellation notices from work orders means that icon is there permanently with dozens of lines. Other than ALERT, DIPLOMACY, PETITION, and the red eyes I find everything that pops up on the left to be completely useless due to alert fatigue

overall this release is a huge leap forward, but the new alert system is noticeably worse than old DF, and it's incredibly easy to miss important events happening in your fortress now

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Bold Robot posted:

I'd also like to know the answer because I've started just dismantling the trade depot after each visit

e: from Reddit. Goblin visitor turns out to be a werelizard, but it just hangs out in the tavern now

Azhais fucked around with this message at 17:56 on Dec 19, 2022

ASAPI
Apr 20, 2007
I invented the line.

Stockpiles are really kicking my rear end.

I make a stockpile for beds, bins, and barrels that is supposed to be fed by my carpenter workshop. All the beds stay in the workshop. When I break the link on the output stockpile from the workshop, the beds end up in the giant catch all stockpile and ignore the stockpile that is labeled to actually accept those items.

I must be missing something about the logic or method used to determine what moves to which stockpile and when. I swear, the more exact my stockpile, the lower chance of whatever item (despite being right next to the pile) will never end up in the designated stockpile.

Is there a list of enable this, but not that style idiots guide to help me out? My forts all grind to a halt because things simply stop moving. The only time things have worked well for me is a giant pile with no restrictions (except corpses and refuse) and then smaller unlinked piles that sometimes (almost never) get filled from the ground/mail stockpile. Output stockpiles seem to be broken or (most likely) there is some kind of setting/toggle I am missing. Desired items seem to only make to output piles if they are unlinked and the main stockpile is completely full, but some items (like beds) never make it to the destination.

carticket
Jun 28, 2005

white and gold.

So, my fort with the vampire mayor ended yesterday. The mayor got out of jail and immediately drained two dwarves, so he went back in for 450 days. During his sentence he was re-elected. In the meantime, I had two were beast attacks and two forgotten beasts. The first were beast was dispatched, and I exiled two bitten and executed a guest that got bit. The second were beast, a weresheep, infected a few, and during the fight I went through and noted these people. Fast forward one lunar cycle and I realize I forgot to expel the cursed ones. Cue three were sheep showing up in my crowded hospital, and one in the crowded temple. Population dropped from >90 to 37. At this point I just wanted to see how this played out (which is when the second forgotten beast attacked). The next full moon saw 10 weresheep and a remaining population of 8 after. I still had 25 visitors, mostly entertainers, so I abandoned the fort and presumably it became a conservatory for poets and dancers. Now I'm trying a volcano fort.

Deadly Ham Sandwich
Aug 19, 2009
Smellrose

carticket posted:

So, my fort with the vampire mayor ended yesterday. The mayor got out of jail and immediately drained two dwarves, so he went back in for 450 days. During his sentence he was re-elected.

His campaign promise to stop draining Dwarves of their blood was very compelling.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

Any idea why my marksdwarves aren't shooting at this rear end in a top hat through the fortifications? They have ammunition.

Appoda
Oct 30, 2013

Broken Cog posted:

Any idea why my marksdwarves aren't shooting at this rear end in a top hat through the fortifications? They have ammunition.

Unless they're high skill, they need to be up against the fortifications to shoot through them. When you have a kill target marked they should do it automatically, but marksdwarves seem kinda borked right now. Try making them station near the edge, or patrol in a circle around your perimeter.

On a related note, anyone else getting forgotten beasts basically all the time? I'm only four years in on a 424-yo world and I think I'm up to seven appearances.

kdrudy
Sep 19, 2009

Appoda posted:

Unless they're high skill, they need to be up against the fortifications to shoot through them. When you have a kill target marked they should do it automatically, but marksdwarves seem kinda borked right now. Try making them station near the edge, or patrol in a circle around your perimeter.

On a related note, anyone else getting forgotten beasts basically all the time? I'm only four years in on a 424-yo world and I think I'm up to seven appearances.

I didn't get any for the first 7 years, then I got three suddenly.

Mister Bates
Aug 4, 2010
Yeah I'm getting forgotten beasts on a near-constant basis, with new ones cycling in as I kill the previous ones. I'm carving a statue of each one as I kill it and putting them in a gallery.

Luckily most of them have been composed of fragile materials like vomit or snow, and I have only lost a total of three dwarves (and one left arm) in eight forgotten beast attacks over six years. Also two of them were web-shooters, so I have enough forgotten beast silk cloth to completely take care of my clothing needs for years.

UP AND ADAM
Jan 24, 2007

by Pragmatica
Any good solutions for having dwarves not haul every tiny cave wren skeleton and other minor refuse from the cavern layer to my refuse pile? I've tried forbidding everything on the layer periodically, but vermin keep dying and leaving corpses regularly, and I've tried disabling hauling refuse and just marking the big corpses to be dumped topside, but that gets in the way of removing rotting food from workshops and bedrooms.

Fish Appreciator
Nov 25, 2021
Decided to try DF again due to the Steam release. Never played more than a few hours.
I stayed up until the AM last night rounding out my first year. Successfully fought off enraged chinchillas and giant flying squirrels while building up my food stores, but the Winter brought giant flies and other monsters. Over time, 28 Dwarves became 14. A mother watched her two children die.

Then the Spring came, and with it, a 15th Dwarf. A hope for our future.

I'm refusing to look up tutorials other than what's included in the base game and whatever information I glean from this thread, and I'm really enjoying this game. Let's go year (10)2!

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

Appoda posted:

Yeah, they're not moving up to the fortification no matter what I do, so I guess I'll just let this beast continue to pick fights with the cavern residents until it grinds itself down for now.

mst4k
Apr 18, 2003

budlitemolaram

Appoda posted:

In 12 very long years I've only had four or five? I guess I picked a happy biome... uhh 2 weeks ago or whenever.

The biggest problem I have is that I have so much going on! Building minecart paths, powerplants, a gigantic magma pump stack, getting royal throne rooms up to the proper standard (jfc), etc. Barons and such are constantly coming and going and the elves think they can limit how many trees I can chop down, gently caress off, I have a lot going on over here!

e: I have 40+ beak dogs tied up all over the map

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

Oh, and Jones was there too.

Here's a cool volcano for you guys.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1xoWlHigEGOU8Tek8JyewfM9pm3bz8-pO/view?usp=sharing

Sadly the rest of the world is garbo, but it looks neat!

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

Has anyone messed with diverting and re-routing rivers before? I’ve got a creek or whatever that freezes over during the winter and I’ve been thinking about digging into and under it while it’s solid and making a drawbridge that I can use to shunt it below ground for fun and profit; bonus, if it fully re routes I could deepen and widen the riverbed enough that I may be able to use it as an on demand moat.

Mister Bates
Aug 4, 2010

Warbird posted:

Has anyone messed with diverting and re-routing rivers before? I’ve got a creek or whatever that freezes over during the winter and I’ve been thinking about digging into and under it while it’s solid and making a drawbridge that I can use to shunt it below ground for fun and profit; bonus, if it fully re routes I could deepen and widen the riverbed enough that I may be able to use it as an on demand moat.

very possible, but be mindful of the water pressure if you do not want to have Fun.

you can divert it off the map edge in a cavern, or dig all the way to the edge of the map and then carve fortifications into the map edge for it to flow through.

Fish Appreciator posted:

Decided to try DF again due to the Steam release. Never played more than a few hours.
I stayed up until the AM last night rounding out my first year. Successfully fought off enraged chinchillas and giant flying squirrels while building up my food stores, but the Winter brought giant flies and other monsters. Over time, 28 Dwarves became 14. A mother watched her two children die.

Then the Spring came, and with it, a 15th Dwarf. A hope for our future.

I'm refusing to look up tutorials other than what's included in the base game and whatever information I glean from this thread, and I'm really enjoying this game. Let's go year (10)2!

what the hell is it with chinchillas specifically? it feels like they're constantly wandering into my weapon traps and getting dismembered or attacking one of my stray dogs

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Warbird posted:

Not in this version but I did that like a decade ago.

The issue to be aware of is that the river/brook/stream only has so much flow; if you dig your whole waterworks out and then divert the river into it, it'll spread out and turn into a mess of 1/1 tiles and evaporate without accomplishing anything. I'd suggest building a bunch of floodgates and mechanisms, getting them all set up in advance spaced out every so often, and then digging in and placing the floodgates across the river during the winter as you say and spaced out through whatever other channels you place, so each cistern can fill in turn. Then just re-route it back to the river bed at the end, or off map, or wherever. I don't believe pressure will build above the level of the stream unless you pressurize it; you can't cause backflooding with just floodgates i don't think.

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum
Late game fun, I've been being Very Careful about airlocks while digging deeply and greedily and managed to pop the cork on the clown car while just losing a single miner to them, and I'm moderately amused to find that the visibility from that reveal has now allowed me to see back up into another adamantine spire a little ways away, which means I can get greedier this time :getin:

also really want to see if I can cave-collapse a plug into the first one in a way that both blocks it and smashes everything that managed to get through it into the mining pocket, so I look forward to loving that up and by-definition loving up all the careful airlocks by having dropped a rock through the roof to boot

Dr. Fraiser Chain
May 18, 2004

Redlining my shit posting machine

How do I know if my quantum stockpile with minecarts is working? People seem to be running to and from the minecart a lot at a time but I dont think it is actually dumping into the QSP

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
Some genius dropped a bucket in the doorway I use to lock off the second cavern layer, how do I get the dwarves to pick it up so I can close the door? They don't seem to be in a hurry getting it.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Well I found a fun new trap to get half your dwarves killed!

I'm never making pit-style dumps ever again. I was doing a bit mass cleanup so there were dozens of dwarves pitching stones into the local dump. A random goose walked in and was instantly mashed to bits by the hail of diorite being dumped. A dwarf walked in to clean up the goose remains and was also killed. Before I could react to the poorly displayed warnings 10 dwarves were dead mangled in the dump as their friends continued to pile diorite and old clothing on top of them.

There's no reason to have a pit style dump other than it looking cool. From now on, only level floor dumps.

Weembles
Apr 19, 2004

Dr. Fraiser Chain posted:

How do I know if my quantum stockpile with minecarts is working? People seem to be running to and from the minecart a lot at a time but I dont think it is actually dumping into the QSP

If you click on the stockpile square and see more than one item in it.

Dr. Fraiser Chain
May 18, 2004

Redlining my shit posting machine

Broken Cog posted:

Some genius dropped a bucket in the doorway I use to lock off the second cavern layer, how do I get the dwarves to pick it up so I can close the door? They don't seem to be in a hurry getting it.

Dumb solution, but you could de construct the door and build it a tile back or forward

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Baronjutter posted:

Well I found a fun new trap to get half your dwarves killed!

I'm never making pit-style dumps ever again. I was doing a bit mass cleanup so there were dozens of dwarves pitching stones into the local dump. A random goose walked in and was instantly mashed to bits by the hail of diorite being dumped. A dwarf walked in to clean up the goose remains and was also killed. Before I could react to the poorly displayed warnings 10 dwarves were dead mangled in the dump as their friends continued to pile diorite and old clothing on top of them.

There's no reason to have a pit style dump other than it looking cool. From now on, only level floor dumps.

If there had been magma in that pit that goose would have been cooked