Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

OhFunny posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yqboPfcIO6M

New six minute long trailer for Disgaea 7 going over characters, systems, and other things.

No release date yet for Japan release right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mysticblade
Oct 22, 2012

Jan 26, 2023 for Japan apparently. No word on a WW release date though.

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC
D6 was released in Japan in January and then worldwide in June. It will probably be the same for D7.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

OhFunny posted:

D6 was released in Japan in January and then worldwide in June. It will probably be the same for D7.

Just please for the love of god no Switch only release in America. I'm not buying D7 on the Switch.

Maguoob
Dec 26, 2012

I said come in! posted:

Just please for the love of god no Switch only release in America. I'm not buying D7 on the Switch.

Switch only release it is! Seriously I’m expecting another switch only western launch and having to wait an undetermined amount of time for a version that doesn’t run like rear end.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

Maguoob posted:

Switch only release it is! Seriously I’m expecting another switch only western launch and having to wait an undetermined amount of time for a version that doesn’t run like rear end.

I really hope you're wrong, but I expect that you're not.

RillAkBea
Oct 11, 2008

I already preordered it on Switch along with the (for some reason separate?) collectors pack because I'm a giant goober and it releases fairly close to my birthday. :v:

I'm aware that it will probably run like a hot dog turd on Switch but portable consoles are the only way I can fit JRPGs into my life these days. I'm very new to the series and had the luxury of playing through 1P and 2P on Vita and I'm currently working my way through 4 on Switch.

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump
If it’s a timed switch exclusive again I’m just gonna pass till it’s on steam this time. Not excited enough anymore to do that again

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

The Steam Deck would play this game perfectly. That is what i'll be playing it on.

Deki
May 12, 2008

It's Hammer Time!

Evil Fluffy posted:

I hope they get rid of Rakshasa difficulty as well because it made Carnage largely pointless.

The whole "Turn the game into an idler" endgame sucked so bad.

D6 was such a whiff

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

Deki posted:

The whole "Turn the game into an idler" endgame sucked so bad.

D6 was such a whiff

And yet it really needed that because everything else missed so hard. I'm not sure I could have completed the story without it it preformed so poorly on the Switch. It screamed nothing is polished this was shoved out the door. We're seeing more of 7 than we did of 6 so I'm feeling hopeful they are back on form.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Disgaea 6 is on sale till January 7th on PS4 and 5

https://store.playstation.com/en-us/product/UP1063-PPSA06228_00-DISGAEA6COMPLETE

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

Disgaea 7 details Netherworld Tourism, mini-games, more classes

Interesting new feature. Revisiting old stages in noncombat tours to chat with NPCs to recruit them and get quests.

zzMisc
Jun 26, 2002

OhFunny posted:

Disgaea 7 details Netherworld Tourism, mini-games, more classes

Interesting new feature. Revisiting old stages in noncombat tours to chat with NPCs to recruit them and get quests.

I also saw something about "item Reincarnation", but it was in a link to a video and comments that were entirely Japanese so I have no better idea than that what that's about. Welp, guess we'll find out next summer or later!

RillAkBea
Oct 11, 2008

zzMisc posted:

I also saw something about "item Reincarnation", but it was in a link to a video and comments that were entirely Japanese so I have no better idea than that what that's about. Welp, guess we'll find out next summer or later!

I assume those are the Disgaea Private Academy videos.

Part 2 is Do-deka-max (the Godzilla mode from the trailers)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rSQ6YpMwl-Y

- It's pretty much just supersize mode.
- In the basic setup shown in the video there's 4 spots (N/E/S/W) out of field you can supersize a unit to. All 4 can be filled for 4-way madness.
- Supersizing is available to both the player and the enemy.
- Supersized units can attack the entire field at once.
- They can also instigate unit specific field status effects called "Do-bilities". Examples shown are Prinny makes everyone explode when thrown, planty soft bois heal every turn.

Part 3 is Item Reincarnation
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-DM9frUdaZM

- First 3 minutes just explains item abilities (shoes increasing movement range etc.) and the item world.
- Item reincarnation allows you to transfer attributes between item types. Example in this frame: https://youtu.be/-DM9frUdaZM?t=268
Glasses > Shoes (with HIT) > Spear (w/ HIT and Movement increase) > Sword (w/HIT, Movement, and spear moves)
So I guess with enough time and effort you could make all your equipment into Testament analogues?
- Reincarnating chocolate into a sword gives you an edible sword. (I love you Disgaea :3: )
- Apparently no limit on the number of reincarnations, but it looks like the reincarnation pool is very small. (Only 3 choices?)

(Unrelated but the video also confirms that the Chinese zombie vampire girl will hop like a good Kyonshi should)

RillAkBea
Oct 11, 2008

New video - Character intro for Fuji (MC) "Rogue samurai warrior with an allergy to compassion"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_JhD7v18tqc

Superficially seems similar to Laharl in personality.

RillAkBea
Oct 11, 2008

Triple posting for new Disgaea Academy video - Part 4: Battle AI 'Mashin Edit' (Demonic Intelligence)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xDUoq_gvnc8

- Auto-battles use Masoline as fuel
- Auto replay any level after clearing it once
- Remaining masoline shown in upper right, consumption rate is 1 per turn
- The AI editor is useful for making more efficient characters to use less masoline overall (screen is same as D6)

No details on how masoline is earned yet.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

I haven't really looked at any of the Disgaea 7 trailers yet but I'm glad to see the rest of the classes are back. And it's also cool to see that most of them have male/female counterparts too, like Samurai, Ranger, Bandit and Gunslinger. They would've shown it if they did but it doesn't look like they have unique team attack animations in this game which is a shame. The first game I actually got to play was 5 so I'm kinda spoiled now and miss tower attacks.:v:

RillAkBea
Oct 11, 2008

For all of you who have access to other region accounts in PS4/5 and Switch, a demo of D7 is coming out on Jan 12

https://disgaea.jp/7/topics/trial/

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

The initial comments from people who are trying the demo say that performance is much better on Switch than D6.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

Hope so. I would like to actually play a good new disgaea game.

RillAkBea
Oct 11, 2008

I tried the demo on Switch and PS5. I haven't played D6 yet but yeah the framerate on Switch handheld is entirely acceptable. The aliasing on Performance Mode is kinda ugly but I imagine you could easily get used to it if you want the slightly smoother framerate. Quality mode isn't too bad from what I saw, you get the occasional frame skip or two but I never noticed any big chugs. Due to the art style it didn't really look or feel significantly different on the PS5, except for the obvious resolution and framerate differences, which is nice to know I'm not missing much by playing on Switch. About the only thing that annoyed me on the Switch version is some of the fonts have jaggies on handheld mode.

The story is pretty funny and not quite what I was expecting. I fully expect people to read slightly too much into the premise and get slightly offended though.

The Hinomoto Netherworld is known for its samurai warriors with their strict code of honor, or at least it was until the demons from another Netherworld invaded and stripped out their culture.

Piririka is a full turbo-weeb and owner of an apparel company in another Netherworld. She also has a full Hinomoto styled Nethership which serves as the hub world. She arrives on holiday to Hinomoto with her butler P-chan ready to eat udooon and soooba (Yes, she's a weeb who constantly mispronounces Japanese words and phrases...:sweatdrop: ) only to find the noodle shops all serve pasta etc. She meets Fuji who poses as a samurai warrior (but is actually a thief and a scoundrel) and he tells her there's no samurai left and no Hinomoto-nese food anywhere either and shows her the remaining warriors being kept as slaves.

So Piririka sets off to restore the glory of Nippon Hinomoto with Fuji in tow posing as an ally but secretly intending to steal her fortune.

It could definitely be read as a sort of xenophobic anti-globalization riff, but it didn't feel like anything was intended to be sinister.

I like it so far but I don't want to play too far into it yet.

Edit: story edit as below.

RillAkBea fucked around with this message at 18:28 on Jan 12, 2023

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010

RillAkBea posted:

The Hinomoto Netherworld is known for its samurai warriors with their strict code of honor, or at least it was until the demons of the Monkey* Netherworld (uses word for monkey 'saru' but not the kanji so the meaning is somewhat ambiguous) invaded and stripped out their culture.
Haven't played the demo, but when Christo is trying to hide where he's from in 5, he says 「さる巨大魔界」 in the sense of "a certain massive Netherworld", so that's a kind of expression they've used before to refer to somewhere without naming it.

RillAkBea
Oct 11, 2008

FractalSandwich posted:

Haven't played the demo, but when Christo is trying to hide where he's from in 5, he says 「さる巨大魔界」 in the sense of "a certain massive Netherworld", so that's a kind of expression they've used before to refer to somewhere without naming it.
Oh wow, very good catch that makes a lot more sense. Turns out it's an antiquated phrasing of ある apparently. Thanks for pointing it out!

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
Trying out the demo, looks like weapon skills are back to normal, after 6 made them all class skills.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Having finished the demo, I have to say I don't like the gameplay changes they've made, at least in the early game. The optimal strategy in all these games has always been to focus all your EXP into an invincible powerhouse, but this time they've leaned into it hard, in a somewhat frustrating way:
  • I can't say exactly how they changed it, but the damage formula now seems to favor DEF a lot more than it used to, which has the effect of making attacks on enemies even 2-3 levels higher than you worthless. Not only is it a waste of time, you can't even attempt to feed lower level characters kills for EXP when they're doing roughly 0 damage.
  • They replaced the Bonus Gauge with a new system where each stage has a number of unique bonus conditions that give you random items and junk when cleared. These bonus conditions are almost always stuff like "win within X turns, win without anyone dying, win with less than 3 people deployed," etc. As you might have noticed, every single one favors dominating the map with a few invincible superunits. So not only does trying to build a larger team simply not work, they also punish you for attempting doing so with less stage rewards, making you fall even further behind.
  • Reviving people at the hospital costs a lot now, to the point where you can actually lose money doing maps if more than one person dies.
  • Tower attacks seem to no longer exist? I can't remember if they were in 6 or not. Also Team Attacks don't seem to share EXP, they just give a boost to the attacker.
  • Dodekamax mode means that the enemy can attack you from anywhere on the map, which means lol if you're bringing anyone who isn't an invincible superunit.

All in all, it was just enough to piss me off while playing the demo.

Clarste fucked around with this message at 03:26 on Jan 14, 2023

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Not as strong as you'd expect.

RillAkBea posted:

I tried the demo on Switch and PS5. I haven't played D6 yet but yeah the framerate on Switch handheld is entirely acceptable. The aliasing on Performance Mode is kinda ugly but I imagine you could easily get used to it if you want the slightly smoother framerate. Quality mode isn't too bad from what I saw, you get the occasional frame skip or two but I never noticed any big chugs. Due to the art style it didn't really look or feel significantly different on the PS5, except for the obvious resolution and framerate differences, which is nice to know I'm not missing much by playing on Switch. About the only thing that annoyed me on the Switch version is some of the fonts have jaggies on handheld mode.

The story is pretty funny and not quite what I was expecting. I fully expect people to read slightly too much into the premise and get slightly offended though.

The Hinomoto Netherworld is known for its samurai warriors with their strict code of honor, or at least it was until the demons from another Netherworld invaded and stripped out their culture.

Piririka is a full turbo-weeb and owner of an apparel company in another Netherworld. She also has a full Hinomoto styled Nethership which serves as the hub world. She arrives on holiday to Hinomoto with her butler P-chan ready to eat udooon and soooba (Yes, she's a weeb who constantly mispronounces Japanese words and phrases...:sweatdrop: ) only to find the noodle shops all serve pasta etc. She meets Fuji who poses as a samurai warrior (but is actually a thief and a scoundrel) and he tells her there's no samurai left and no Hinomoto-nese food anywhere either and shows her the remaining warriors being kept as slaves.

So Piririka sets off to restore the glory of Nippon Hinomoto with Fuji in tow posing as an ally but secretly intending to steal her fortune.

It could definitely be read as a sort of xenophobic anti-globalization riff, but it didn't feel like anything was intended to be sinister.

That's gonna be interesting, because the truth of that time in real life is very unlike how pop culture paints it. So I wonder what the truth of 'the old days' will be in this?

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Fuji is also allergic to kindness, in that he starts coughing up blood if someone thanks him. So, Disgaea.

Mysticblade
Oct 22, 2012

I think losing money with unit deaths on average might've been a thing in Disgaea 1 as well? It might just be intended as a HL dump or a way to make Prinnies look better too. But it'll probably get easier over time.

The rest is a bit eugh though

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

I feel like every game I can get into massive debt with deaths if I just throw things at the wall. Almost all your problems are "problems" with the early game in most Disgaea games. The most recent ones have kind of started at the post game level of insane stats but traditionally they played as pretty straight strategy RPGs with a level cap of 100 for the story line. You break all of this when you go deep into the item world and start loving with that.

If you didn't do much of the item world you are probably just used to being way over leveled.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

pixaal posted:

I feel like every game I can get into massive debt with deaths if I just throw things at the wall. Almost all your problems are "problems" with the early game in most Disgaea games. The most recent ones have kind of started at the post game level of insane stats but traditionally they played as pretty straight strategy RPGs with a level cap of 100 for the story line. You break all of this when you go deep into the item world and start loving with that.

If you didn't do much of the item world you are probably just used to being way over leveled.

At least through Disgaea 5, there was always a story stage where you could boost enemy levels so they'd be level 99, and level 99 gave as much xp as a level 500(?) enemy so you could very easily go past level 100 in the main story of the games if you wanted to.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

Evil Fluffy posted:

At least through Disgaea 5, there was always a story stage where you could boost enemy levels so they'd be level 99, and level 99 gave as much xp as a level 500(?) enemy so you could very easily go past level 100 in the main story of the games if you wanted to.

You can play most of the games without repeating any stages with the named characters and natural XP. It usually requires you to actually learn to position and kite things but it's doable in all the ones I tried it in.

If you are intentionally farming in a min/maxes way you aren't playing a normal straight game without whacky numbers you're breaking the core game experience. I mean the actual core experience of this is breaking he game so you are supposed to.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

It sounds like Disgaea 7 wants to lean even harder into AFK grinding than D6 did.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
I'm pretty sure DI runs needing a currency proves the opposite of that

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

pixaal posted:

I've played every Disgaea game and usually beat the story without replaying stages? I'm just saying it feels a lot worse than usual. Could definitely change after the early game of course, when they unlock stuff like school clubs or whatever they're called this time.

zzMisc
Jun 26, 2002

Clarste posted:

[*]Dodekamax mode means that the enemy can attack you from anywhere on the map, which means lol if you're bringing anyone who isn't an invincible superunit.[/list]

TBH, I actually like finally getting rid of the bonus gauge - it was always a strange oddity that forced you into doing weird things like maxing counter on a physically weak unit so they could built it, or whatever - and I don't mind this game being focused on you having a small number of powerhouses since that's how I always played them anyway. I never really used tower attacks much through the whole series either, so while I appreciate these are significant losses if you don't play the same way I do, personally those don't deter me.

But that last one makes me super curious. How common is "Dodekamax"? Is it something where you're expected to just go ham on that unit immediately, or are you forced to protect yourself from it? It sounds like they could wipe out any glass cannon / healers quickly, but generally when these games introduce that sort of thing they also introduce a counter of some kind. I would assume heavy knights are available to protect your weaker units, even from that?

kirbysuperstar posted:

I'm pretty sure DI runs needing a currency proves the opposite of that

It absolutely does not, sight unseen I can almost guarantee you that this currency will significantly limit your ability to AFK right up until the early postgame, when you find whatever the trick is to max it out, at which point it becomes irrelevant. I'd be very surprised if it ends up working any other way TBH.

Edit: if they decided to be tricksy about it, maybe they made it so you can earn it in some way *while* autobattling, so the trick is in actually choosing your character's actions so they can regain what they cost and run indefinitely. That could actually be kinda cool IMO

zzMisc fucked around with this message at 08:05 on Jan 14, 2023

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

zzMisc posted:

But that last one makes me super curious. How common is "Dodekamax"? Is it something where you're expected to just go ham on that unit immediately, or are you forced to protect yourself from it? It sounds like they could wipe out any glass cannon / healers quickly, but generally when these games introduce that sort of thing they also introduce a counter of some kind. I would assume heavy knights are available to protect your weaker units, even from that?

The mechanic is introduced in a boss fight in the very final stage of the demo, and you can't save afterwards, so I have no idea if it's limited to certain stages or what. You get a team-wide meter that fills up when you take damage (I think) so it acts as kind of a rubber banding mechanism to help the losing side, which seems like it'd favor the enemy in most cases. Although again I can't really say how it works out in ordinary situations, or if it's like a boss-only mechanic. Also, the dodekamaxed character physically exists on the edge of the map and can be attacked or healed normally if you're close enough, and up to 4 people can be maxed at a time (one on each side). Maxed characters can only use special normal attacks which hit either a large square targeted anywhere on the map, or another dodekamaxed character (which is considered a separate kind of action). Honestly it's weaker than just using a skill (at least for now) but makes up for it in range.

Dodekamaxing also activates a special passive skill that affects everyone on the map, which seems to vary by class although I didn't get a chance to poke around and check.

Unrelatedly, they also brought back a mechanic very similar to Overloads from Disgaea 5, where main characters can bring out one of the 7 sacred weapons and go into their own personal supermode for a few turns. This is mutually exclusive with dodekamaxing, I think, maybe.

Clarste fucked around with this message at 12:02 on Jan 14, 2023

RillAkBea
Oct 11, 2008

Unrelated to D6/7 but I just got the 10th torn letter on Prinny 1 and I'm so relieved I just had to share it somewhere.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

RillAkBea posted:

Unrelated to D6/7 but I just got the 10th torn letter on Prinny 1 and I'm so relieved I just had to share it somewhere.

Congrats!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

RillAkBea posted:

Now that I've gotten pretty far into the full game, (full game spoilers, obviously) it turns out that the real villain is from Hinomoto and he intentionally destroyed their culture because he thought the country was becoming weak, so while I doubt they intended this read either, it kind of resembles Imperial Japan more than Postwar Japan.

Edit: Actually, scratch that, it was 100% intended.

Clarste fucked around with this message at 17:30 on Jan 27, 2023