Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

John A posted:

Record Collector is a real shop, I spent a lot of money in there when I was a student. I would wile away the hours in the second hand CD bins, a game of discovery (and bargain hunting) that went on for the three years I lived nearby.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

Who has Lottie seen?

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

I was not ready for this new side of Lottie.

And neither will you.

John A posted:

Nero was indeed mentioned in Solver 7 – here, in fact – but no more was revealed. Perhaps we will find out more next time. Once Claire is done screaming.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

John A posted:

Nero seems like a slick operator. I am sorry to tell you that his whims, ways and motivations will take some time to come to light. Lottie’s may be easier to guess at.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Nero is a sales rep for "Options" instant hot chocolate, which you could say makes him a

"Café Nero"

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

John A posted:

Lottie has been a proud puffer exponent since the very start of Bad Machinery and that is not going to change. Her sister Sarah’s career in fashion has, I think, been tangentially mentioned a number of times, but don’t ask me where because I don’t remember. I do recall that “in fashion” was a euphemism for “in prison” in one of the later Bad Machinery stories… but Sarah is definitely not in prison.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

John A posted:

The first appearance in any comic since the 1980s of legendary UK TV host, Michael Parkinson. Parkinson’s career as a chat show host began when he was elevated from regional journalism due to the abject failure of a Peter Cook chat show vehicle. Parkinson was put in the chair instead and what followed was a multi-decade carnival of bonhomie with the great and good.

MarsPearl
Feb 19, 2021
That's an interesting name he's chosen for the dead gentleman.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

John A posted:

I really wanted to draw a classic Land Rover. It felt to me like the only car Hetty Happlethorpe would drive. Not a modern fancy one, one with the bench seats in the back and an un-removable patina of barnyard filth going back decades.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

John A posted:

Stanage Plantation car park is a real thing that you can find on a map. In fact, with a little work, you can plot the journey from the edge of Ranmoor to Stanage on Google Streetview and add minutes to your enjoyment of this comic. Or ruin it entirely.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

John A posted:

A misty stag emerges. I wonder if this means I am going to have to draw a lot of stags over the next few pages. This wondering is rhetorical. Stag-fest is imminent.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Lottie's gone a bit God Emperor Of Dune in that puffer coat

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
Always. Back. Salt-shaker.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

John A posted:

I know that a lot of situations in Solver are resolved by objects or people being bodily flung into the distance. Let me be clear: this is a feature of the series, not a bug.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

John A posted:

Another Solver story concludes! I hope you enjoyed it. The next story is a two-parter, encompassing Solvers 9 & 10, beginning in January. Given that there are just two weeks I have before my traditional Christmas/New Year break, I’ve constructed a six-page fill-in to span the gap. So come back on Monday for “Holiday Surprise 2022”.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

New story: Holiday Surprise 2022

John A posted:

For readers new to my “comics universe” (I’m not sure how many people that might be – potentially five or six reading this), you can learn much more about Shauna Wickle in the Bad Machinery archives.

Le Pain Quotidien is a bakery chain. Pre-Covid they used to have jars of jam just on the tables for customers to self-administer. For the irresponsible preserve-liker, there was a lot of opportunity to abuse their generosity with spoonfuls of delicious jam straight in the mouth while waiting for your order to arrive.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Saoshyant posted:

New story: Holiday Surprise 2022

Never before has anyone so accurately captured the British railway experience

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

John A posted:

It’s great to see Lottie and Shauna back together, just like old times. I’m getting nostalgic. This is a holiday surprise the way you like ’em.

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Luckily, I *did* save your old avatar. Fucked around and found out indeed.
It's Shauna time! Hooray!

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

pff, station pubs aren't dangerous, they're just poo poo.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

John A posted:

Shauna’s anchor tattoos are egregiously big, and another holiday surprise (if you will). Shauna previously balked at photorealistic tats (chiefly of her own face) but as a protege of Amy Chilton, she probably came round to the idea of letting someone draw all over you.

Also, Lottie was framed in a mini-series for Boom called Wicked Things in 2020. It's when she gave up on becoming a detective. :(

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

Shauna is gonna bust Lottie out of this malaise she's been in.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

Powerful Katrinka
Oct 11, 2021

an admin fat fingered a permaban and all i got was this lousy av
I like that Shauna's tattoos are a combination of anchors and the symbol for Woman/Venus

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
The Law and Order CI pinball machine is an amazing bit of business.

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

I don't think Munch was ever in L&O:CI.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Lottie, you were the one under mind control in The Case of The Lonely One.

Of course there’s also the possibility that there was an unseen incident she’s referring to.

Also this is technically Mildred’s fault.

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

Seven for beauty that blossoms and dies

Yvonmukluk posted:

Also this is technically Mildred’s fault.

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

I never really understood why John Allison disliked Wentack so much.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

mildred.png

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Murdstone posted:

I don't think Munch was ever in L&O:CI.

Oddly you're right. He did do an episode of Trial By Jury but never CI.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

John A posted:

The ‘Festival Of Speeding’, eagle-eyed viewers will note, is hosted by Mr Des Fishman.

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

Is that a seasonal Mad Terry cameo I see? Truly a Christmas miracle.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

John A posted:

That’s it for the Holiday Surprise. You’ll see Shauna again 2023: this I am pretty sure of. No comics next week, but the next story, the two-part “Boys Like Fun”, begins on January 2nd. Thank you for reading this year, and tolerating my occasional enforced breaks. Let’s hope for smoother seas ahead. Merry Christmas, everyone.

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

That was sweet. I didn't realize how much I missed the Mystery Solving Teens, but it was really lovely having even this small reunion. I'm glad Shauna is doing architecture.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

A new Solver story is starting on Monday. I kind of miss Steeple and wouldn't mind a new story there first, but hey, sounds promising at least.

John A posted:

“Boys Like Fun”, a thrilling new tale in two parts starts on Monday. I think you’ll enjoy this one. I’ve put everything into it. My $3 and up Patreon subscribers will be able to download part 1 as a PDF first thing on January 2nd.

Happy new year!