Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Mordiceius posted:

Yeah. I have the best gear setup and I'm in the middle of the champion league. The tracks where you have to go through the Millennium Tower just consistently gently caress me up. I can do tracks 1/2/6/7 just fine. But the others are so frustrating. Taking a high speed drone through the tower is just something I'm not good at.

I think I've tried track #3 in the champion's league roughly 30 times now. Which is extra frustrating since it takes so long to load back into the game. If I could just do a quick reset and be back into this within 30 seconds, I'd be fine, but each attempt requires so much loading.

I find that erring on the side of going too slow usually helps. You usually have room to slow down through the Tower segments if your gear is up to date.

Also erring on the side of steering too sharply instead of not sharply enough. I had more crashes due to underestimating how hard I had to press down/up to go under/above something than from overestimating.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

Nativity In Black posted:

One thing that actually helped me was to nerf some speed in favor of handling. I still banged around a ton flying through the tower, but not as bad.

Yeah, for all the other races it matters more but for the last tier the other racers go all the gently caress in on speed and constantly start crashing around on tracks with curves, which at least for me broke the rubber banding that’s, you know, meant to exist to keep the enemy racers from spreading their points out in grabs prix cart racers, so I didn’t even need to do more than place in the top three.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Nativity In Black posted:

One thing that actually helped me was to nerf some speed in favor of handling. I still banged around a ton flying through the tower, but not as bad.

This worked for me in Judgement, but in the later Lost Judgement races I usually had to go as far into speed as I could just to keep up with the other racers.

Hector Delgado
Sep 23, 2007

Time for shore leave!!
I can't believe it but today was the day I figured out Mahjongg. It didn't take as long as I thought it would. Between CyricZ's video and gamefaq, and just playing and losing it finally "clicked". I'm not saying I'm good at it, but I know the rules and what's needed to win and that's what matters. I gotta say, it's a good feeling when you figure it out.
If you were like me and thought it's beyond you, it's not. If I can do it, I know you can too. Give it a try!!

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!
I know just enough Mahjong to know how to win without knowing enough mahjong to know how to win. If you get me.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
Yeah, once you overcome the barrier of “getting” mahjong, you still have the sad, soul crushing truth that you’re Just Bad at Asian gin rummy, at least in my experience.

FishMcCool
Apr 9, 2021

lolcats are still funny
Fallen Rib

Last Celebration posted:

Yeah, once you overcome the barrier of “getting” mahjong, you still have the sad, soul crushing truth that you’re Just Bad at Asian gin rummy, at least in my experience.

I don't know whether the mobile versions AI is bad or the Yakuza draw is rigged, but I can hold my own in multiple other mahjong games, be it chinese variants or riichi. But in Yakuza, it feels like if I haven't won after 3/4 tile draws, it's over because there's at least one other player about to ron.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Having played it a bunch IRL in China the experience of I have no idea what is happening, I won for some reason, this time I lost because ???, ugh I'm so bored can I please stop now is spot on.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

FishMcCool posted:

I don't know whether the mobile versions AI is bad or the Yakuza draw is rigged, but I can hold my own in multiple other mahjong games, be it chinese variants or riichi. But in Yakuza, it feels like if I haven't won after 3/4 tile draws, it's over because there's at least one other player about to ron.

Nah it's not just you, I win more consistently with other players than I do against the AI in Yakuza games or FF14 too.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
Yakuza mahjong is almost certainly rigged, Y5 had an explicit luck system even.

Hector Delgado
Sep 23, 2007

Time for shore leave!!
The beginner's table in Y0 is brutal lol. I've learned to accept that anything can happen at anytime. Made .8 % of the 10 mil yen needed so far.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!
Judgment is so loving good. Goddamn. I'm on Chapter 11 right now. Will probably finish it today. Fantastic game. I enjoyed Yakuza 0 - 6, but Judgment is just on another level for me. Incredible cast of characters, I've loved every character. The flow of the storytelling is fantastic (a few hiccups but still amazing). All around an incredible experience.

FishMcCool
Apr 9, 2021

lolcats are still funny
Fallen Rib

Mordiceius posted:

Judgment is so loving good.
:hmmyes:

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Mordiceius posted:

Judgment is so loving good. Goddamn. I'm on Chapter 11 right now. Will probably finish it today. Fantastic game. I enjoyed Yakuza 0 - 6, but Judgment is just on another level for me. Incredible cast of characters, I've loved every character. The flow of the storytelling is fantastic (a few hiccups but still amazing). All around an incredible experience.

Judgment/Lost Judgment are definitely s-tier rgg games. Definitely play Lost Judgment (and Kaito Files) next, you're in for a real treat.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

beat 0 tonight. That's 0-6 done in the series as i did em in release order (kiwami 1/2 then 3-0) and honestly id recommend that over the straight 0-6 run. it was great to see the callbacks and how characters from kiwami 1/2 acted

Dr. Cool Aids
Jul 6, 2009
I don't think I'd have ever gotten hooked on the series if I'd started with kiwami

ZiegeDame
Aug 21, 2005

YUKIMURAAAA!
Just finished Lost Judgment. Still feels weird that Yagami takes this hardline stance of blaming Kuwana and Kusumoto for Sawa's death when Soma/Public Security were clearly the bad guys there. At least he finally articulates some sort of philosophical justification for that position moments before the final boss fight. I guess the moral is it's fine to go around murdering bullies so long as you don't hide the bodies; frankly given Kuwana's stated goal he'd want any would-be bullies to know he's out there anyway. I guess Ehara did nothing wrong.

Speaking of Ehara, I don't know if this is just a feature of the Japanese legal system as my only other exposure to that is Ace Attorney, but in the US if a defense attorney went to court with the explicit intention of proving their client guilty of murder they'd get fuckin' disbarred.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

i had a blast with kiwami, the worst part of yhe game is that majima everywhere isnt in wvery yakuza game

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

I feel like most of my complaints about kiwami are some version of "it's not quite as good as 0" so I bet I'd still like the series if I started with it and didn't know what I was missing

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

i just feel like a lot of the character stuff falls flat if you dont have the other games under your belt. It was great to see Shimano and my dude Kashiwagi before kiwami 1 and beyond changed em

checksin
Nov 23, 2006

I joined the new sensation, the #RXT REVOLUTION~!

:chillout:

he knows...
My kiwami game glitched or something and majima never appeared outside of cutscenes which was a very lonely experience

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

majima nowhere :(

man nurse
Feb 18, 2014

checksin posted:

My kiwami game glitched or something and majima never appeared outside of cutscenes which was a very lonely experience

That’s not a glitch, many people fall victim to this. There comes a point where he won’t appear anymore until you find him again, usually under the gigantic traffic cone. If you don’t, then Majima will no longer be everywhere.

Larry Cum Free
Jun 3, 2022

move it or lose it dillweed

Sudden Javelin posted:

I don't think I'd have ever gotten hooked on the series if I'd started with kiwami

Worked for me.

Alright, so I'm Kazuya from Tekken wandering loose on the streets of Tokyo trying to figure out what a cell phone is? And everyone wants to fight me?? Let's loving go!

ZiegeDame
Aug 21, 2005

YUKIMURAAAA!
Honestly the only real problem of starting with Kiwami is all the added substories that reference things from 0 will fall flat. There is no order to play the Yakuza series on modern systems that won't have you missing some references in your first game.

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

Don't get it twisted who your enemies are.

Sudden Javelin posted:

I'm on record as loving despising the story of Y1, while 0 is still easily my favorite as of finishing 5 a few weeks ago, so yeah same.

Kojiro
Aug 11, 2003

LET'S GET TO THE TOP!
If you dont play 0 first then Nishiki really is just Some Guy and I am not sure how you can begin to care about him

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

It was 2005 and we didn’t mind OP

bentacos
Oct 9, 2012
In the past couple weeks I've finished the platinum for Judgment on PS5, then went back to finish up my playthrough of Like A Dragon and did everything except the last Dragon Kart races and TFMT (which will require a couple hours of grinding that I didn't feel like doing right now), and just started Lost Judgment last night. Already dig the improvements to combat styles even though I haven't unlocked anything yet except the first two tiers of extra battle SP.

Hector Delgado
Sep 23, 2007

Time for shore leave!!
Just completed all the Mahjongg requirements for Y0, heck yeah

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

Kojiro posted:

If you dont play 0 first then Nishiki really is just Some Guy and I am not sure how you can begin to care about him

kiryu cared

that was enough for me to be invested

seeing them being bros was rad after simmering on it as long as i did

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

I am genuinely amazed by how much I absolutely love the entire cast of characters in Judgment. From the protagonists to the antagonists to all of the supporting characters and even the substory characters - I feel like Judgment has the absolute best overall cast of any of the RGG games I've played thus far.

Also - I finally beat the drone racing champion league, so SUCK ON THAT!

My placement was: 1st/1st/2nd/1st/1st/1st/1st/2nd/2nd/DQed. I had such a point lead by the 10th race that I just ran into a wall and DQed myself so I would never have to drone race again.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

Hector Delgado posted:

Just completed all the Mahjongg requirements for Y0, heck yeah

Congrats, Y0 probably has the hardest mahjong completion requirements in the series since there's no cheat item to cheese it and there's three requirements which asks more of you than winning a certain number of sticks or beating a certain person at it like mahjong in other games.

Hector Delgado
Sep 23, 2007

Time for shore leave!!
Thanks! I thought getting that straight was gonna take the longest. It's weird, I can win more consistently at the hard table than the beginner one. I think it had something to do with the computer stealing less at the hard table.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Larry Cum Free posted:

Worked for me.

Alright, so I'm Kazuya from Tekken wandering loose on the streets of Tokyo trying to figure out what a cell phone is? And everyone wants to fight me?? Let's loving go!

I can't remember if it is Kiwami 1 or 2, but there was a point where Kiryu would have just finished BRUTALLY beating the asses of like 12 dudes all by himself, take 3 steps and a group of 6 dudes would be like,"Hey this tall wall of muscle and death looks like an easy target!" and immediately try to start poo poo as well.

It was spectacular :allears:

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

Finished Judgment with about 60 hours on the clock. Not going for 100%, but I feel pretty good about it. Did every substory (except fighting Amon), dated four women, met 50 friends, beat Drone Racing, got my Free Pass.

What a fantastic game from start to finish. Absolutely loved it. Best RGG game I've played. I actually enjoyed the act of playing (aside from the Drone Race champion league).

Just an incredible story. I was on the edge of my seat. The storytelling was great. The presentation was great. The action and cutscene direction were great.

A perfect cast of characters. Not a single bad character in the entire game. Flawless. A+ 10/10 No notes.

man nurse
Feb 18, 2014

Keihen gang sucks and there’s too much trivially easy but slow tailing. Otherwise it’s S tier. Lost Judgment fixed those particular gripes but has a lesser story and some side content that overstays its welcome. Still well worth playing if you loved the first.

man nurse
Feb 18, 2014

Oh yeah and mortal wounds is a dumb mechanic that adds nothing to the game.

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

I don't think either judgement game has the hostess club minigame so I don't think they can be perfect :colbert:

I'm excited to get to them at some point though, they seem great

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
Keihin Gang is kinda
https://twitter.com/morningmoonmeme/status/1164509275986771969