Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Bogart posted:

There's a growing divide, I think, between filmmakers who want to make a hosed up scary movie, and those who want to make a horror movie, if that makes sense. It Follows, Midsommar, Get Out are all hosed up scary movies. Paranormal Activity, The Boy, Rings, and Annabelle are horror movies.

my entirely arbitrary distinction is how much of the intention is to provoke disgust and disquiet - a kind of sympathy for the hopeless situation someone's trapped in - and how much is to draw the audience in sufficiently that they feel the same dread and terror that the characters experience

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Midsommar is a comedy.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Yeah I think Wan is a bit of a victim of his own success because it’s like once every five years he creates a banger that launches a thousand bad sequels and ripoffs. How can you stamp your name on La Llarona?? Horror needs room for schlock so I can at least say he’s passionate which is cool in this era where every other film is capes and biopics.

This year was A+ for horror films though goddamn. Nope was far more action than I expected but was awesome for it amazing creature design. Barbarian was really campy but I love it’s final message is like “no sympathy for abusers, plz die.” Prey made predator scary again. Cabinet of Curiosities, all good poo poo even the weaker segments. X was such an original take on the tired slasher formula while still being a sendup to the grimy 70s horror. The black phone is the best Stephen king story never adapted and bodies bodies bodies was the knives out of slashers I’d call that the modern Scream which even people have told me the Scream reboot ain’t bad.

I’m stuffed.

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

"All this, for me? 💃Ah, you didn't have to! 🥰"

al-azad posted:

Barbarian was really campy but I love it’s final message is like “no sympathy for abusers, plz die.”

I just looked this movie up and it was written/directed by one of the guys from the Whitest Kids U Know? :stare: I love(d) them.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

Read After Burning posted:

I just looked this movie up and it was written/directed by one of the guys from the Whitest Kids U Know? :stare: I love(d) them.

Watch it immediately, it's such a great movie and you can tell it was created by a comedy writer

Zachack
Jun 1, 2000

Vermain posted:

my entirely arbitrary distinction is how much of the intention is to provoke disgust and disquiet - a kind of sympathy for the hopeless situation someone's trapped in - and how much is to draw the audience in sufficiently that they feel the same dread and terror that the characters experience

I can understand this distinction but don't understand how It Follows falls in the first type.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Medullah posted:

Watch it immediately, it's such a great movie and you can tell it was created by a comedy writer

How gross is it? I was interested but backed off after hearing it had some intense stuff, I can handle all sorts of gross monster horror stuff but I usually start bowing out sooner with realistic/visceral human stuff.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

Captain Hygiene posted:

How gross is it? I was interested but backed off after hearing it had some intense stuff, I can handle all sorts of gross monster horror stuff but I usually start bowing out sooner with realistic/visceral human stuff.

None of the stuff you're probably thinking of gets shown on screen, if that helps. There's just enough context that lets you come to conclusions.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Blockhouse posted:

None of the stuff you're probably thinking of gets shown on screen, if that helps. There's just enough context that lets you come to conclusions.

Ah ok, that I can probably do alright with. I'll give it a shot, thanks :tipshat:

Nails
Oct 29, 2004

MALIGNANTLY USELESS

al-azad posted:

The black phone is the best Stephen king story never adapted

Funny that you say this, because it was actually based on a story by his son.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

Zachack posted:

I can understand this distinction but don't understand how It Follows falls in the first type.

Honestly same. I don't recall it follows being hosed up scary in the slightest, its pure tension.

Kosmo Gallion
Sep 13, 2013
The opening scene is a woman's corpse mangled horrifically on a beach.

Mindblast
Jun 28, 2006

Moving at the speed of death.

Horror is just personal like that. What works for one won't work for another.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

Kosmo Gallion posted:

The opening scene is a woman's corpse mangled horrifically on a beach.

It shows her running first, but it doesn't do like, the "person experiencing pain" thing that i consider hosed up horror. It gives you three minutes of a person running first and then shows you what happens when you don't, before setting up for basically an entire film of chasing.

So basically i think i'm arguing that one scene doesn't really make a film. Alas:

Mindblast posted:

Horror is just personal like that. What works for one won't work for another.

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

I watched a review/retrospective of Nocturne, and it looks pretty great if not janky and ending on a cliffhanger. Has anyone tried getting it working on modern Windows recently?

Hel
Oct 9, 2012

Jokatgulm is tedium.
Jokatgulm is pain.
Jokatgulm is suffering.

Mr E posted:

I watched a review/retrospective of Nocturne, and it looks pretty great if not janky and ending on a cliffhanger. Has anyone tried getting it working on modern Windows recently?

I haven't tried modern, but it ran decent enough on Win 8.1, just with messing around with dgVoodoo2 and CPU core affinity like https://www.pcgamingwiki.com/wiki/Nocturne said. Same with the Blair Witch game. But yeah after the Bloodrayne games got some remasters I was really hoping for one for Nocturne. And the cliffhanger isn't actually a big deal, because each of the cases are pretty self contained, so while it's a shame there was no real follow up, you did get the full story of what it was telling.

CV 64 Fan
Oct 13, 2012

It's pretty dope.

Mr E posted:

Grim Beard owns. I have played Nocturne on modern systems but I don't recall exactly what I did. I recommend going here https://www.pcgamingwiki.com/wiki/Nocturne

Also the first Blair Witch game by Terminal Reality is basically a Nocturne sequel.

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

Grim Beard does own. I always forget about that pcgamingwiki, thanks for the link. I'll check out the blair witch game too.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Nocturne is one of my favourite games ever.

I haven't played it in 20 years.

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IzILEUI6yNg

Here's a horror game trailer that looks pretty neat.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Love the art style, wishlisted it on Steam.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

Just finished Rachel Foster. Well that was tasteless.

Whoever did the environment and sound design should get a raise.

Whoever wrote the thing should get fired and sent packing to a gulag.

Douche4Sale
May 8, 2003

...and then God said, "Let there be douche!"

Inspector Gesicht posted:

Completely agree. There was a lot to like about the game, but the ending and overall message was so incredibly terrible that it just ruined the whole thing for me.

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Everytime I try to fly I fall
Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

Inspector Gesicht posted:

I think that’s the general consensus yeah. A real rotten experience.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

I remember playing it but don't remember much about it other than being in a boring hotel or something. Someone refresh my memory why it sucks?

Douche4Sale
May 8, 2003

...and then God said, "Let there be douche!"

sigher posted:

I remember playing it but don't remember much about it other than being in a boring hotel or something. Someone refresh my memory why it sucks?

It's been awhile since I played it so I can't give the full details, but it really mishandles and in some ways romanticizes both suicide and a sexual relationship between a father and his daughter's friend. Due to being told through the standard recordings, notes, etc it is one of those things where the sum of all that building over time really makes it feel gross. Then at the end the protagonist gets in a car in a garage to commit suicide and you have the choice of turning the key or not. the game heavily implies that turning the key would be the right choice or something like that. super hosed up.

I also recall there were some big twists at the end that basically came out of nowhere and felt like having a twist for having a twists sake.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

Pretty much all the twists don't work because they don't have any build-up or groundwork. Half the key character barely get mentioned, never mind built upon so there's no weight to their actions.

It's strange how you get tools in an inventory that are only used once.

I'm reminded of some middling Sherlock Holmes stories in the canon. Where after five minutes sleuthing Holmes deducts a elaborate ten page backstory for the perp out of his rear end, and then it quickly wraps up.

I can only guess the person who wrote the painfully first-draft script was French.

I walked in half-knowing this game would be a disaster. I just wanted to write a snarky review about it on patientgamers.

Inspector Gesicht fucked around with this message at 09:19 on Dec 18, 2022

al-azad
May 28, 2009

So basically an adult man has a sexual relationship with a minor that splits up their family after she kills herself and his daughter (the player) inherits their failing hotel which she gets caught during a blizzard on the phone with the estate lawyer. The big plot twist is that the mother actually murdered Rachel Foster, her brother was a witness, and he set up this years long plot as the estate lawyer to expose the truth to the daughter who spent the last 20 years or so understandably estranged from her terrible family. He then inexplicably kills himself instead of idk turning over the mountain of evidence to the state and the player can then kill themselves to spite their mom

So yeah it is even stupider than the name lets on which is in itself misleading. The worst thing is that Rachel Foster as a character doesn’t exist. She’s a plot device to frame a strongly implied autistic adult having a “loving” sexual relationship with a strongly implied autistic child. They go so far as to stress it was mutual which on a sliding scale of bullshit stories that misunderstand Lolita it’s a few points above Blame it On Rio.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.
Are there any examples of horror games that actually handle sexual abuse appropriately? SH2 is sort of there, I guess, but I feel like devteams should just, like, find another topic.

discworld is all I read
Apr 7, 2009

DAIJOUBU!! ... Daijoubu ?? ?

Discendo Vox posted:

Are there any examples of horror games that actually handle sexual abuse appropriately? SH2 is sort of there, I guess, but I feel like devteams should just, like, find another topic.
I guess it depends on the level of appropriateness; I seem to remember Rule of Rose handled it in an interesting, albeit ambiguous manner, such as with: https://ruleofrose.fandom.com/wiki/Mermaid_Princess. But I don't think the game ever really explicitly says "Yup, this character was raped" versus "A young kid watched some consensual sex and didn't understand what was going on", and the game heavily relied on trying to unlock memories and try to remember painful memories there. It definitely made sure to not leave the possibility of sexual abuse's malevolence though, so that's definitely a boon versus what was described about the Rachel Foster game.

TheWorldsaStage
Sep 10, 2020

Rule of Rose is so good, except the gameplay. Infinite health is the only way I got through tbh

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

Has anyone tried their hand at a spiritual successor?

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

TheWorldsaStage posted:

Rule of Rose is so good, except the gameplay. Infinite health is the only way I got through tbh

Rule of Rose is amazing writing, art, and music, and it's a shame about the gameplay.

TheWorldsaStage
Sep 10, 2020

Night10194 posted:

Rule of Rose is amazing writing, art, and music, and it's a shame about the gameplay.

I had the preorder cd for so long. It even came with sheet music for "A Love Suicide"

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.
I wish the signalis devs got the silent hill license instead of Bloober Team.

Mindblast
Jun 28, 2006

Moving at the speed of death.

Fwiw its not just bloober making silent hill titles. The other projects look promising.

But yeah I wouldn't mind Rose Engine getting to take a stab at it at some point.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

it's actually kind of surprising that companies haven't branched out more into doing indie collabs, where they loan out the IP and some resources and get solid lower rent titles out of the deal. if i were konami, i'd absolutely trust handing out the license to a team that's already proven that they know how to make classic style survival horror and can tell an interesting, cerebral story to boot

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

Vermain posted:

it's actually kind of surprising that companies haven't branched out more into doing indie collabs, where they loan out the IP and some resources and get solid lower rent titles out of the deal. if i were konami, i'd absolutely trust handing out the license to a team that's already proven that they know how to make classic style survival horror and can tell an interesting, cerebral story to boot

I think companies like Konami think only in terms of "this title must make all the money. Some of the money is insufficient and means failure, all the money is required".

TheWorldsaStage
Sep 10, 2020

Right now Konami is throwing stuff at a wall with Silent Hill and I'm optimistic. They didn't make bad choices for devs to give the IP a shot in these directions really. I know people don't like Blooper writing, but the artists are great and Konami has them on a leash so :shrug:

I just can't loving wait for Townfall

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

TheWorldsaStage posted:

Right now Konami is throwing stuff at a wall with Silent Hill and I'm optimistic. They didn't make bad choices for devs to give the IP a shot in these directions really. I know people don't like Blooper writing, but the artists are great and Konami has them on a leash so :shrug:

I just can't loving wait for Townfall

Yeah I've got my fingers crossed that Silent Hill 2 is basically a carbon copy script with updated graphics. But I'm not getting my hopes up too much.

Either way...it's better than just getting Silent Hill Skateboards and Pachinko machines.