Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Firebatgyro
Dec 3, 2010
Who are you playing as is the real question

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

Firebatgyro posted:

Who are you playing as is the real question

My initial plan is to have a first poll to choose the region and then a second one to choose a nation in the region from among those I find interesting.

But it might be easier to just choose one myself?

Prop Wash
Jun 12, 2010

If you let goons choose your Anbennar LP nation then I hope you’re ready for a Rianvisa! It’s a tough choice though, in the past I’d say go nice comfy Cannor but the rest of the world has been filled out enough that you really could go Haless first and go 300 years without interacting with those boring fake-Euros and the only real impact is that “Age of Unraveling” doesn’t make a lot of sense.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

I could go Jadd and name the thread "There is no other God but Surael and Jaddar is His Prophet."

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
It doesn't help that I'm fat as fuck, so my face shouldn't be shown off in the first place.
If you let goons choose then I'm immediately voting Tugund-Darakh.

The Fae are the true masters of Cannor. They even got their own special units a while ago.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
I'd love to see an Anbennar LP. Just pick which nation you like the most is my recommendation, because if you lose fun LPing, it will be a miserable experience.

Soylent Pudding
Jun 22, 2007

We've got people!

Torrannor posted:

I'd love to see an Anbennar LP. Just pick which nation you like the most is my recommendation, because if you lose fun LPing, it will be a miserable experience.

I'd love to see Anbennar because I always feel like I have too many base game nations to play to start with a whole fantasy world.

Play whatever you thing is most interesting to you. But if you need inspiration I vote anything dwarves.

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

MonsieurChoc posted:

I could go Jadd and name the thread "There is no other God but Surael and Jaddar is His Prophet."

Laith did a good VLP for Jadd though, so that's a bit redundant since there's not many lps in the first place.

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

Prop Wash posted:

If you let goons choose your Anbennar LP nation then I hope you’re ready for a Rianvisa! It’s a tough choice though, in the past I’d say go nice comfy Cannor but the rest of the world has been filled out enough that you really could go Haless first and go 300 years without interacting with those boring fake-Euros and the only real impact is that “Age of Unraveling” doesn’t make a lot of sense.

the actual best answer is Verkal Dromak

karmicknight
Aug 21, 2011

cock hero flux posted:

the actual best answer is The Jadd

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

MonsieurChoc posted:

My initial plan is to have a first poll to choose the region and then a second one to choose a nation in the region from among those I find interesting.

But it might be easier to just choose one myself?

I also had the idea to LP Anb a while back (that I dropped for time reasons) and this was the approach I thought of for more thread interactivity. I think it'll work if you treat it like a medley LP where you try and show off various different MTs rather than just sticking to one.

The real challenge is figuring out which nations have the really good MTs.

Soup du Jour
Sep 8, 2011

I always knew I'd die with a headache.

Sunrise Empire would be a fun narrative game

Mysticblade
Oct 22, 2012

I almost want to suggest Skurkokli but 1.34 made it a really rough start by amping up how fast the centaurs conquer each other and making them more willing to run you over.

I don't think the VLP format is very good for EU4 so I would also agree the Jadd is a great start. It'll show off a lot in one run. If you were going to do extra runs, I'd supplement it with an Escann run and a Serpentspine run.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Here's a list of nations I think I could have fun with:
- Jadd
- Most OSC and NSC Nations
- Most Adventurers
- Frozenmaw into Grombar
- Venail
- Azkare
- The Raj
- Corvuria
- Most Dwarven Holds
- Mykx
- Most goblins with MTs

So that's why I was thinking of first having a vote on the region (Cannor, Escann, Serpentsine/Dwarovar, Bulwar, Rahen, Haless, Aelantir) and then I'd choose a couple I feel like LPing in the region and have a vote on it.

If I just choose one first Jadd is near the top, but there's some other fun choices.

Firebatgyro
Dec 3, 2010
Urviksten -> Black Castanor is a really fun start. You start with a mage ruler (which you really need).

TheFlyingLlama
Jan 2, 2013

You really think someone would do that? Just go on the internet and be a llama?

dwarven hold where you just stay in it and never expand would be a terrible video lp but a hilarious april fools day joke in an actual lpo

Quorum
Sep 24, 2014

REMIND ME AGAIN HOW THE LITTLE HORSE-SHAPED ONES MOVE?

TheFlyingLlama posted:

dwarven hold where you just stay in it and never expand would be a terrible video lp but a hilarious april fools day joke in an actual lpo

Verkal Ozovar: allow us to introduce ourselves

disjoe
Feb 18, 2011

Pick trolls, write the whole LP in unga bunga language.

JosefStalinator
Oct 9, 2007

Come Tbilisi if you want to live.

Grimey Drawer

MonsieurChoc posted:

Here's a list of nations I think I could have fun with:
- Jadd
- Most OSC and NSC Nations
- Most Adventurers
- Frozenmaw into Grombar
- Venail
- Azkare
- The Raj
- Corvuria
- Most Dwarven Holds
- Mykx
- Most goblins with MTs

So that's why I was thinking of first having a vote on the region (Cannor, Escann, Serpentsine/Dwarovar, Bulwar, Rahen, Haless, Aelantir) and then I'd choose a couple I feel like LPing in the region and have a vote on it.

If I just choose one first Jadd is near the top, but there's some other fun choices.

How much experience do you have? Jadd is fun for amateurs and pros alike, but the LP will play very differently. A noob will have fun being surprised by the crazy tree and expansion choices, but a pro will be sweating to expand as quickly as possible and bring Surael's light to the world.

I vote SS LP just because I don't generally think EU4/Paradox games in general are good for video LP's unless you want to do a TON of video editing to show the choicest bits. Watching you raise war military maintenance, lower maintenance, scroll around and kill rebels, etc, is not really that fun.

A possible synthesis would be to livestream it at certain times for goons who are around and bored or want to do some live participation (maybe do some live "voting" or just chat spamming for certain decisions), but take screens along the way and post a screenshot LP in the thread alongside the video for those wanting to watch. That'd be a lot of extra work, and the live stream would be annoyingly interrupted by screenshots and maybe hampered critically by it, it's just an idea.

If you need any help with the tech stuff, video or screenshot wise, don't be afraid to shoot me a PM. I've done LP's before both here and on other sites (as well as more freeform writing stuff) and know WAY too much about Anbennar lore and could be some help if you want some additional info or background. I think going in blind for your run would be more fun if you're new to any regions/nations.

Other than Jadd, I might strongly encourage either a Sons of Dameria - Adenica - Castanor run if you want a really long but flavorful event tree LP and stay Regent's Court, or Sons of Dameria - Rogeria - EoA/Castanor run if you want to go Corinite. A Half-Orc super progressive democratic Rogeria would seem the Gooniest nation for sure.

Also maybe consider Newshire if you want a shorter and sweeter but fun and slightly challenging halfling adventure.

Whatever you choose I'll definitely be watching (and might copy you eventually with a different nation).

EDIT: I think if you really in it for the long haul, a Rogeria - EoA (not Castanor but you can technically cheese it to do both I think) would be the funniest and funnest run. Would have to stay Monarchy for the EoA though I think. Close second would be Republican Half-Orc Castanor

Double edit: Let goons choose which ideas you take so I can force you to rush colonies as Rogeria

Triple edit: You don't have PM's so email me at my username at gmail if you want some help and we can chat on discord or something

JosefStalinator fucked around with this message at 05:27 on Dec 20, 2022

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Mykx is thematic as hell and really fun and hey, who doesn't love demon-worshipping drug-pushing matriarchal pirate dog-people?

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
One of the season court nations could also be interesting to LP. Once you deal with your local competitors, you will be the biggest power in the region until the Cannorians show up. And it's a nice, contained region that wouldn't need too much explaining to be understood by the LP readers.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

JosefStalinator posted:

How much experience do you have? Jadd is fun for amateurs and pros alike, but the LP will play very differently. A noob will have fun being surprised by the crazy tree and expansion choices, but a pro will be sweating to expand as quickly as possible and bring Surael's light to the world.

I vote SS LP just because I don't generally think EU4/Paradox games in general are good for video LP's unless you want to do a TON of video editing to show the choicest bits. Watching you raise war military maintenance, lower maintenance, scroll around and kill rebels, etc, is not really that fun.

A possible synthesis would be to livestream it at certain times for goons who are around and bored or want to do some live participation (maybe do some live "voting" or just chat spamming for certain decisions), but take screens along the way and post a screenshot LP in the thread alongside the video for those wanting to watch. That'd be a lot of extra work, and the live stream would be annoyingly interrupted by screenshots and maybe hampered critically by it, it's just an idea.

If you need any help with the tech stuff, video or screenshot wise, don't be afraid to shoot me a PM. I've done LP's before both here and on other sites (as well as more freeform writing stuff) and know WAY too much about Anbennar lore and could be some help if you want some additional info or background. I think going in blind for your run would be more fun if you're new to any regions/nations.

Other than Jadd, I might strongly encourage either a Sons of Dameria - Adenica - Castanor run if you want a really long but flavorful event tree LP and stay Regent's Court, or Sons of Dameria - Rogeria - EoA/Castanor run if you want to go Corinite. A Half-Orc super progressive democratic Rogeria would seem the Gooniest nation for sure.

Also maybe consider Newshire if you want a shorter and sweeter but fun and slightly challenging halfling adventure.

Whatever you choose I'll definitely be watching (and might copy you eventually with a different nation).

EDIT: I think if you really in it for the long haul, a Rogeria - EoA (not Castanor but you can technically cheese it to do both I think) would be the funniest and funnest run. Would have to stay Monarchy for the EoA though I think. Close second would be Republican Half-Orc Castanor

Double edit: Let goons choose which ideas you take so I can force you to rush colonies as Rogeria

Triple edit: You don't have PM's so email me at my username at gmail if you want some help and we can chat on discord or something

Like I said, most of the adventurers would be fun. Rogieria, Newshire, Esthil, Blademarches, Ravenmarch, Adenica, Barumand, Corintar, Elikhand, Hammerhome and Marrhold I could see myself doing. That's a lot!

I've got a decent amount of experience. I've got 1400 hours in Eu4, maybe 4-500 of these in Anbennar. I've been doing Anbennar MP games with friends for a while now, although someone almost always ragequits before we can finish haha. I've never done a World Conquest or got to the end of the timeline though, so tips and tricks are not unwelcome. I've managed to defeat the Raj Collapse at least once!

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

That sounds like a fun idea. Just be careful so you don't burn yourself out by trying to do too much. Oh, and if you get tips on how to improve it'll probably be overwhelming to apply everything at once but I'm not LP expert.

JosefStalinator
Oct 9, 2007

Grimey Drawer

MonsieurChoc posted:

Like I said, most of the adventurers would be fun. Rogieria, Newshire, Esthil, Blademarches, Ravenmarch, Adenica, Barumand, Corintar, Elikhand, Hammerhome and Marrhold I could see myself doing. That's a lot!

I've got a decent amount of experience. I've got 1400 hours in Eu4, maybe 4-500 of these in Anbennar. I've been doing Anbennar MP games with friends for a while now, although someone almost always ragequits before we can finish haha. I've never done a World Conquest or got to the end of the timeline though, so tips and tricks are not unwelcome. I've managed to defeat the Raj Collapse at least once!

If you've never done Rianvisa or Hoardcurse, that would be fun to go into blind. Disastrous, but fun.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

JosefStalinator posted:

If you've never done Rianvisa or Hoardcurse, that would be fun to go into blind. Disastrous, but fun.

Never done Rianvisa, but I have done Hoardcurse and Obsidian Invasion.

I have also failed at the Maskbreaker Rebellion twice.

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
It doesn't help that I'm fat as fuck, so my face shouldn't be shown off in the first place.
The Rianvisa isn't that bad of a first-time disaster as it's not a punishment and more a stepping stone to the rest of the proper trees. Unlike, say, the Deioderan.

Rynoto fucked around with this message at 19:35 on Dec 20, 2022

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

Anyone done The Command’s Great Insubordination disaster yet? It makes the Hoardcurse look tame

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

I don't think it's possible to beat the Great Insubordination without cheesing.

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

never mind cheesing, i just outright cheated through it with god mode

the least cheesy way to beat it can can think of would be to conquer a lot of extra territory before pushing the mission tree buttons that activate it but yeah i don't see how it's possible to win going into it blind

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Gonna do a test post in the LP sandcastle tomorrow after work since it's a day where I got nothing going on.

What would be a good name if I do go with multiple choices?

JosefStalinator
Oct 9, 2007

Grimey Drawer

MonsieurChoc posted:

Gonna do a test post in the LP sandcastle tomorrow after work since it's a day where I got nothing going on.

That's tough because you had a good name for a Jadd run - maybe a placeholder until you can petition mods to customize it once goons make their choice?

That or some general pun or comment on Abennar's gooniness* or insanity. Or if you had a theme/region narrowed down for us.

JosefStalinator fucked around with this message at 03:56 on Dec 21, 2022

Yuiiut
Jul 3, 2022

I've got something to tell you. Something that may shock and discredit you. And that thing is as follows: I'm not wearing a tie at all.

MonsieurChoc posted:

A great deal of ruin in a nation: an Anbennar EU4 LP

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Test post up in the Lp sandcastle, gonna try and start the thread by tomorrow.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Started the LP, with Yuiiut's suggestion for a temp thread title until we choose a nation and find a more appropriate one.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=4020206

Last Emperor
Oct 30, 2009

FYI, I'm going to be hosting a new modded EU4 game using the Anbennar Fantasy Mod over in the Mapgoons discord:

https://discord.gg/8ktvDCp

We'll be limiting some picks/funnelling players into certain areas to keep a fun game.

Starting sometime in the New Year on Saturday from 9PM UTC. Still planning some bits so hop on in!

Detheros
Apr 11, 2010

I want to die.

I made a Jerusalem Latin Empire

Also a bit of a tip: If you are a Monastic Order go Divine Ideas and then Espionage.

You get dumb poo poo like 6 day fort sieges in 1587, lmao

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

stacking siege ability is powerful

Cynic Jester
Apr 11, 2009

Let's put a simile on that face
A dazzling simile
Twinkling like the night sky
Stacking defensive ability is similarly hilarious.

JosefStalinator
Oct 9, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Detheros posted:

I made a Jerusalem Latin Empire

Also a bit of a tip: If you are a Monastic Order go Divine Ideas and then Espionage.

You get dumb poo poo like 6 day fort sieges in 1587, lmao

What was your strategy to pull that off as the Knights?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Detheros
Apr 11, 2010

I want to die.

You start out guaranteed by Venice and they'll usually ally you after pulling you into their trade league.

Raid the Muslim countries for a ton of ducats and sailors on cooldown, usually I'd get a total of 500 ducats and 6-7k sailors every 10 years.

You get a mission that requires you to ally and get to 150 relations with the owner of Malta, the ai then (likely) cedes it to you, best to move your capital there for the genoan trade during this part.

After that I expand into Sicily/Lower Italy (All owned by Naples) and then Tunisia.

You will have a million perma-claims from missions on The Ottomans and Mamluks so it's just a matter of bringing a bunch of allies down on them. In my case it was Venice, Milan, France (You're both the same culture), Croatia, and later Bohemia + Portugal, I was always 1-2 over my relation limit.