Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

A Moose
Oct 22, 2009

Just reporting in to say that the thread title is still accurate.

I feel like having some cards with caveats does not mean that the card text is inaccurate or unreliable. By and large the cards do exactly what they say.

I think the Defect is the most complex character. You get orbs that are both offense and defense and scale off of neither strength or dex, but you do also use both of those and there are viable orb-less builds. There are also powerful cards with downsides like Hyperbeam, Consume, and Reprogram that can help kill you if you misuse them, like some of the Ironclad's self-damage cards. Also, Claw exists, and the temptation to pick it is terrible. That's a hard thing to learn to avoid.

One thing I kind of wish the defect had was a way for the 0-cost card build to scale without All for One. Like if they had a power that did something similar to, but weaker than Kunai or Shuriken. Or maybe like Panache, but not colorless. I know that build can be insane with All for One, but sometimes you don't get that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pro starcraft loser
Jan 23, 2006

Stand back, this could get messy.

How's the mod scene? I'm really liking this game and still haven't even been to the heart once, but do the mods add some cool cards or is it very hit and miss?

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Winner of the TSR Memorial Award for Excellence In Grogging

A Moose posted:

One thing I kind of wish the defect had was a way for the 0-cost card build to scale without All for One. Like if they had a power that did something similar to, but weaker than Kunai or Shuriken. Or maybe like Panache, but not colorless. I know that build can be insane with All for One, but sometimes you don't get that.

This exists, it's called taking Claws and getting some Strength and card draw :v:

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

pro starcraft loser posted:

How's the mod scene? I'm really liking this game and still haven't even been to the heart once, but do the mods add some cool cards or is it very hit and miss?

There's a well received total conversion mod called downfall that lets you play as bosses so I'd say the mod scene is pretty good even though I haven't played with any of them yet

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Downfall is the "flagship" mod and has a release where you can play it straight out of Steam without needing to get the mod packages yourself. I highly recommend it.

There's a ton of other mods, most add characters, cards, or relics. Some add extra game modes like Challenge The Spire, others give QOL improvements like Relic Stats or Map Marks.

I'm also partial to the Bug Knight/ Hallownest mods.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

A Moose posted:

One thing I kind of wish the defect had was a way for the 0-cost card build to scale without All for One.

Angry Diplomat posted:

This exists, it's called taking Claws and getting some Strength and card draw :v:

Claw, 2x Coolheaded+, 1-2x Madness.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

downfall owns bones but it's very much More. it's not as tightly tuned as base StS, its mechanics are more complex, and i think it's considerably easier - i'm at a much higher ascension in Downfall than i am in the base game because artefact, strength up, dex up etc all seem much easier to obtain

but yeah it's really good and great fun

erosion
Dec 21, 2002

It's true and I'm tired of pretending it isn't

SKULL.GIF posted:

Downfall is the "flagship" mod and has a release where you can play it straight out of Steam without needing to get the mod packages yourself. I highly recommend it.

There's a ton of other mods, most add characters, cards, or relics. Some add extra game modes like Challenge The Spire, others give QOL improvements like Relic Stats or Map Marks.

I'm also partial to the Bug Knight/ Hallownest mods.

Minty Spire is worth checking out. Not only does it enable some small QoL changes, it allows you to rename Ironclad to Ironchad

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Winner of the TSR Memorial Award for Excellence In Grogging

SKULL.GIF posted:

Claw, 2x Coolheaded+, 1-2x Madness.

Yeah if you can get a small deck with Claw and a reusable 0-cost source of card draw you're basically set until you explode yourself on the spike guys in Act 3 or get completely loving obliterated by Time Eater

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

Just let yourself become a worthless person!
Everyone should use my FTL soundtrack mod imo

Lucas Archer
Dec 1, 2007
Falling...

Angry Diplomat posted:

Yeah if you can get a small deck with Claw and a reusable 0-cost source of card draw you're basically set until you explode yourself on the spike guys in Act 3 or get completely loving obliterated by Time Eater

I built an All-For-One+ + Claw+ (x4) deck which was absolutely crushing fights until a bad draw order on the 3 jaw worms in act 3 ruined me.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

EconDad posted:

I've maybe already posted something like this but...

I've played probably 1000+ hours of Slay -- and just recently I've finally come around to really understanding Ironclad. At least, I think I finally understand him.

I still love Silent best, but for some reason her initial style came much easier to me -- and then morphed into being more complex with discard synergies sort of taking the "top spot of relevance" and such.

Based on this... I'm starting to think that Ironclad is the most "complex" character -- with perhaps the most "work put into" creating him? The cards and synergies don't feel as "self-evident" at first, but there's so much depth there. Any thoughts on this? There's self-harm, strength, exhaust, block building, etc.

A Moose posted:

I think the Defect is the most complex character. You get orbs that are both offense and defense and scale off of neither strength or dex, but you do also use both of those and there are viable orb-less builds. There are also powerful cards with downsides like Hyperbeam, Consume, and Reprogram that can help kill you if you misuse them, like some of the Ironclad's self-damage cards. Also, Claw exists, and the temptation to pick it is terrible. That's a hard thing to learn to avoid.

It depends on what you mean by "complex." Defect is probably the most mechanically complex character, but its design space has a tendency to compress towards :orb:. Ironclad is simpler mechanically but that simplicity creates a lot of nuance to Ironclad's deckbuilding.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Inexplicable Humblebrag posted:

downfall owns bones but it's very much More. it's not as tightly tuned as base StS, its mechanics are more complex, and i think it's considerably easier - i'm at a much higher ascension in Downfall than i am in the base game because artefact, strength up, dex up etc all seem much easier to obtain

but yeah it's really good and great fun

The Downfall campaign gives you way more stuff than the base campaign does, in part because the postgame is significantly harder (IMO).

Taking a Downfall character into the base campaign is a whole lot rougher to get off the ground.

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

I forget the name of the Event, but the one where you can add 1, 2, or 3 Colorless Cards… what kind of restrictions does it have as to what cards you can get?

Mescal
Jul 23, 2005

EconDad posted:

I've maybe already posted something like this but...

I've played probably 1000+ hours of Slay -- and just recently I've finally come around to really understanding Ironclad. At least, I think I finally understand him.

I still love Silent best, but for some reason her initial style came much easier to me -- and then morphed into being more complex with discard synergies sort of taking the "top spot of relevance" and such.

Based on this... I'm starting to think that Ironclad is the most "complex" character -- with perhaps the most "work put into" creating him? The cards and synergies don't feel as "self-evident" at first, but there's so much depth there. Any thoughts on this? There's self-harm, strength, exhaust, block building, etc.

----

Watcher feels like the least complex, but I don't feel like Defect is far behind. Maybe I'm wrong on Defect and the complexities. At first, I thought I'd like Defect most, since it felt sort of "mage/wizard-like" and that's my typical favorite style of character in RPGs. However, Defect's fun factor just has never really clicked into place for me.

Watcher was tacked on last and ... feels "tacked on"... but Defect doesn't feel that much less tacked on.

---

Gotta get going on the Hermit. Tried a couple runs but want to get good.

---

So what I'm saying is Ironclad and Silent have the most 'depth' and also are the most 'card-like' in terms of their discard and exhaust approaches. And this is... after, all... a card game (I think).

well, Red has a full fkn fantastic kit. watcher feels out of place because she's got crits, which while initially more exciting are ultimately less rewarding than the metamechanics of the game itself being manipulated with the others. Red has exhaust, but frankly you have to force it; it's only one element of many--which can all be combined in subtle and effective ways. Lots of creativity. With Green, you've just got discard synergy as the... option. Green's general disconnected feeling could be solved with two cards:
-Sticky Squelch (power, 2AP): whenever you discard a card, apply 1 (2) poison to ALL enemies
-Prickly Pump (skill, 0AP): whenever you draw additional cards this turn, add 2 (3) damage to all zero-cost attacks this turn and lose 1 dexterity this turn.

Orby loses something special in feel because his metamanipulation isn't fundamental to the basic mechanic of card draw/persistence. His is limit break, so with that and with being largely unaffected by buffs and debuffs, he feels above the fray.

Downfall had very much the right idea with introducing card location in hand as a metamechanical thing but it just feels extra and it undermines itself by giving a way out of the requirement. I don't know what other ideas could be available to a hypothetical other character... card duplication? Something with buffs and debuffs that can synergize nicely? Something to go along with Sadistic Nature. Called Inspire or Autoepieutechnikon, "whenever you are buffed, heal 1hp, gain 1 strength, or gain 5 temporary dexterity, chosen at random." Not that, but something along those lines.

edit: those of you posting unwritten mechanical details I didn't know about should add them to the wiki.

Mescal fucked around with this message at 19:35 on Dec 16, 2022

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Kheldarn posted:

I forget the name of the Event, but the one where you can add 1, 2, or 3 Colorless Cards… what kind of restrictions does it have as to what cards you can get?

I think it only excludes special event colorless cards ie Bites, Apparitions, and Cultist Dagger.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
yeah you can get heal cards fine in events, the game just wants to make sure that at no point is the objective best playstyle the extremely boring strategy of "stall endlessly and try to spawn healing cards/items"

Bad Video Games
Sep 17, 2017

Angry Diplomat posted:

The secret is to spend all of your energy on block. Genetic Algorithm and Reinforced Body with Reprogram can be as much of an easy win as 8 focus and frost orbs, assuming you can get the right cards.

Mike N Eich
Jan 27, 2007

This might just be the year
I am about to be done with my school semester and I am tempted to pick up Slay the Spire again after a long layover, I'm intrigued by Downfall.... it's not available on Switch, I'm assuming?

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

alas, no

Bad Video Games
Sep 17, 2017

Could it eventually be patched in? It's considered an "official" mod. I'd be willing to pay $20 for DLC.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

You can't play it on Switch but it works on Steam Deck.

You could also probably stream it to your phone.

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug
I'm still at A2 but what a beautifully, beautiful bullshit Defect run. Boss swapped for the key but kept getting 0-cost cards. Five claws, Steam Barrier, Scrape, and a Hyperbeam complement each other just nicely, thank you. The Reprogram kept the Steam Barriers from waning too, just great synergies all around. What a game.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

TheOneAndOnlyT
Dec 18, 2005

Well well, mister fancy-pants, I hope you're wearing your matching sweater today, or you'll be cut down like the ugly tree you are.
Speaking of noobs getting wacky bullshit runs, just had this Watcher run on A3. Got Dead Branch as my first relic and wasn't sure what to do with it, didn't really like anything at the end of act 1 and took Deva Form and Snecko Eye for a laugh... and then hit a merchant on the fourth floor of act 2 selling Ice Cream and it was off to the loving races. By the end of the run I was sitting on 17 energy versus the Awakened One, Snecko was making half of my cards free, and I could barely play cards faster than Dead Branch was generating them, which meant my act 3 Shuriken was pushing my Strength into the loving stratosphere. Then my Damaru popped me into Divinity and I did 81 and then 132 damage with two cards. What the gently caress was this run lmao

Clugg
Apr 21, 2005

I boss swapped into Fusion Hammer and then picked Searing Blow on floor 1

Tau Wedel
Aug 3, 2007

I'm fine. Everything's fine. There is no reason to worry.
Just started an A20 Ironclad run where Neow offered me a rare colorless card in exchange for taking damage. I picked that option and got Master of Strategy. First battle was against two Lice, both attacking for 8, and my opening hand was Bash, two Strikes, Ascender's Bane and Master of Strategy. I played the Master of Strategy and drew... the other three Strikes. Literally bottom-decking all four Defends, leaving me with 16 completely unavoidable damage.

What the gently caress, Spire.

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe

Tau Wedel posted:

Just started an A20 Ironclad run where Neow offered me a rare colorless card in exchange for taking damage. I picked that option and got Master of Strategy. First battle was against two Lice, both attacking for 8, and my opening hand was Bash, two Strikes, Ascender's Bane and Master of Strategy. I played the Master of Strategy and drew... the other three Strikes. Literally bottom-decking all four Defends, leaving me with 16 completely unavoidable damage.

That damned Unity RNG strikes again

Tau Wedel
Aug 3, 2007

I'm fine. Everything's fine. There is no reason to worry.

Drunk Nerds posted:

That damned Unity RNG strikes again

Why are my draws bad sometimes?! :argh: Clearly the game is broken.

EconDad
Jul 20, 2013

you talkin' to me Sheriff?

oh... I thought you was talkin' to me.

THOSE DAMN ENCHILADAS

Tau Wedel posted:

My god do I love the rare colorless card option. Even when it seems suboptimal to the other options I often pick it. Love me a rare colorless to start.

Lucas Archer
Dec 1, 2007
Falling...
Had my first Heart kill on the Silent, A14, and it was glorious. Got a Dead Branch as my first relic, then proceeded to pick up the Potion Belt, White Beast Statue, Toy Ornithopter, and Sacred Bark. I built a deck filled with shivs (2x Storm of Steel+, 2x Accuracy+, 3x Blade Dance+), and just absolutely murdered the hell out of Act 2, 3, and 4. Looking at the after action report, I saw I lost a grand total of 6 health between Acts 2 through 4, against the double orb walker event because of a crappy first turn draw. Otherwise it was a perfect run with a flawless Heart kill - getting 2x After Image from my first power potion, then Alchemize gave me another power potion which generated ANOTHER 2x After Image, and the beat of death couldn't do poo poo to me.

I was elated, to say the least. I literally cannot stop playing this game.

pro starcraft loser
Jan 23, 2006

Time Eater can HEAL!?
Are you loving kidding me? 18 points away from first win with keys, he heals for 200 and swings for 35. gently caress off.

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

...foolish...

mcvey
Aug 31, 2006

go caps haha

*Washington Capitals #1 Fan On DeviantArt*
You were not prepared

DontMockMySmock
Aug 9, 2008

I got this title for the dumbest fucking possible take on sea shanties. Specifically, I derailed the meme thread because sailors in the 18th century weren't woke enough for me, and you shouldn't sing sea shanties. In fact, don't have any fun ever.
yeah, time eater heals to half health and cleanses debuffs, once per fight, when below half health.

pro starcraft loser
Jan 23, 2006

DontMockMySmock posted:

yeah, time eater heals to half health and cleanses debuffs, once per fight, when below half health.

If I had been able to knock out those last few points, would that have been a victory or is there a 'floor' which will make sure the heal takes place every fight?

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

If I had been able to knock out those last few points, would that have been a victory or is there a 'floor' which will make sure the heal takes place every fight?

If you can burst through it he would have died.

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010
Simply do 999 damage and he will die

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Zore posted:

If you can burst through it he would have died.

Against the Time Eater you either want to make sure you can take him from 51% to 0 in two turns, or else pause and focus on setup as soon as he drops below 50% (he won't heal back up above 50%, so any amount of damage between 1-50% is wasted.)

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

the holy poopacy posted:

Against the Time Eater you either want to make sure you can take him from 51% to 0 in two turns, or else pause and focus on setup as soon as he drops below 50% (he won't heal back up above 50%, so any amount of damage between 1-50% is wasted.)

It's more important to know when you should drop Time Eater to 50%-1 and then wait a turn. Most decks capable of winning the game can take Time Eater from 51% to 0 in two turns, but they can't necessarily do it in the two turns after they reach that point. But if you can split the Time Eater as narrowly as possible, it's better than trying to set up the perfect two turns because you get a free turn and it effectively loses its heal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

unattended spaghetti
May 10, 2013
I hate writhing mass.

I hate it even more with a couple accuracies, a couple blade dances, and a wristblade.

Tons of damage, tons of card draw, and the unpredictability of its whole gimmick means you can really gently caress yourself.

Def my least fav fight in the entire game.