Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

I don’t understand.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.

moths posted:

Ok I just started building these and holy gently caress I love how they look so far. I mixed in some of the mechanicus ruins and they fit in perfectly.

One thing: the corner pieces that go under the caps look like squares but actually have six sides. Two sides of the "square" are bent, and if they're not lined up you're going to get crazy problems. I suspect that's where a lot of people were going wrong.

Yeah the gallowdark terrain is astounding I’m hyped as poo poo to paint it

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

Siivola posted:

I don’t understand.

The "square" that the cap goes on is actually a weird hexagon. It works if you assemble it the top way, but if you do it the bottom way it's a terrible fit. The seams need to line up.

You can see the shape a little better in the cap.

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

Oh! Now I understand, thanks.

The thing is, as far as I can tell the hole on the hat is an octagon. The slot faces of the pillars aren't straight either, but that's hard to see because the slot cuts out a corner. The cap should go on regardless of how you orient the two halves of the pillar, which is necessary because the map layouts require both straight connections and corners.

YMMV but for me a bigger issue were the tabs on the walls not going all the way in to the slots in the pillars. The top of the tab would then bind against the hat of the pillar and make it a huge pain to disassemble.

Siivola fucked around with this message at 11:26 on Dec 18, 2022

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

Ah ok, I ran into one that was a little snug but nothing too fussy.

A friend said the Twitch guy he watched had all kinds of problems, and the streamer sounds like a "knows better than the directions" kinda guy. I figured that's where he went wrong before gluing it all together.

They're friction fit, so I imagine I don't want to get any primer in the slot.

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

Yeah I filled the slots with blu-tac and taped the tabs before priming.

EdsTeioh
Oct 23, 2004

PRAY FOR DEATH

MESBG/LotR folks: Ash Barker has a series of videos up where he's doing a how to play going scenario by scenario in the new starter set. I know some folks don't like him, but I find him to be one of the more tolerable youtube gaming guys and outside one dumb thing I don't think he's problematic.

link to first ep: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qcG414uTmfM

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

I gotta be honest I’m genuinely surprised tabletop lord of the rings is still going even after the big cultural event is in the rear view mirror at this point.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all
It's the holy grail of fantasy IP because you simply cannot make a fantasy setting without being accused of being derivative, so you may as well go with the original. Likewise, most fans of LotR are fans of many things, but also acknowledge that none of them do what LotR does as well as it does.

I've reread the trilogy over the last year and it's just so much better written than modern fantasy is that it's sort of laughable how many of these authors have "The American Tolkien" or "The Next Tolkien" or some variation printed on their dust covers, because that's never been true loving ever.

So if you're going to play a game, why play something that is ultimately just a knockoff of Tolkien when you could play the real deal from the biggest and best company in the industry?

28mm "true scale" looks great. The models aren't overloaded with detail, but are clearly based on iconic looks from the films. Troop boxes come with a decent variety and are 24 models per set, making it relatively affordable all things considered.

Plus the game is actually loving deep and good, so it beats out games and settings that really are trying to be their own unique thing just on that merit alone.

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

here is my Imperial Navy Breacher Kill team!

I added a mohawk to the Hatchcutter, and added custom heads to half of the team to make them look more like unique characters! the captain is a pirate captain eyepatch and parrot, a cool lady with aviators is the sensor, a cool black cowboy is the gunner, a psycho friday the 13th lady is the AxeJack, and the other tech guy is a beanie wearing engineer who doesnt shave. The rest are normal because I really like the breacher helmets!

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Leperflesh posted:

This set the minis at about the same size as battletech miniatures, and it seems GW was hoping to compete directly with that game, which was pretty popular at the time.

Errr. What giant-rear end battletech minis did you have?! :shobon:

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

feedmegin posted:

Errr. What giant-rear end battletech minis did you have?! :shobon:

As opposed to 28mm, where a titan's foot would fill the whole table... theyre close enough. a bit taller, definitely bigger bases of course.

Bird_App_Refugee
Nov 4, 2022

Formerly: Thunderfist and/or
Have it your Weigh
I found this old orc team I bought years ago. The previous coach painted them so I’m going to add some highlights and details and do the bases.

Vulpes Vulpes
Apr 28, 2013

"...for you, it is all over...!"
They remade Ripperjacks for Necromunda and they are loving disgusting-

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

Vulpes Vulpes posted:

Someone channeled Georgia O'Keefe's ghost

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
Ahhh, so that's what Sny Snootles looks like after emerging from her cocoon.

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!
Dear Mods.

In attempting to update the OP we are going over the character limit. Is there a solution to this issue?

Can a second post from me be wedged in? Can the character limit be lifted? Or do I have to do some editing to trim the OP?

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

I don't have the power to create a post inline after yours, nor can I break the 50k character limit. Astral might be able to do that but it'd have to be for an amazingly good reason and I really doubt this'd qualify. Sorry!

One thing you can do to cut down length is token-efy links, like with tinyurl. I had to do that with Bronzestabbed back in the day.

You could ask Al Saqr, who has the 2nd post, if they'd mind editing in some of your stuff?

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

Leperflesh posted:

I don't have the power to create a post inline after yours, nor can I break the 50k character limit. Astral might be able to do that but it'd have to be for an amazingly good reason and I really doubt this'd qualify. Sorry!

One thing you can do to cut down length is token-efy links, like with tinyurl. I had to do that with Bronzestabbed back in the day.

You could ask Al Saqr, who has the 2nd post, if they'd mind editing in some of your stuff?

Sounds good. Thanks.

chin up everything sucks
Jan 29, 2012

Instead of having everything in the main post, have the main post link to each specific write-up post.

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

chin up everything sucks posted:

Instead of having everything in the main post, have the main post link to each specific write-up post.

I was going to say this. Usually, the first few posts were marked as [Reserved for Something or Other] (though it's a bit late for that at this point, I assume...)

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

Hindsight shows me why second posts get reserved.

I will figure something out that isn't hideous.

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

I am willing to sacrifice my post as the second post to make space for you

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

Al-Saqr posted:

I am willing to sacrifice my post as the second post to make space for you

That is probably the easiest solution. How do you feel about taking Community Supported and Unloved?

e: truly a community thread.

Indolent Bastard fucked around with this message at 22:57 on Dec 19, 2022

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

Indolent Bastard posted:

How do you feel about taking Community Supported and Unloved?

Well you know haha i don’t like talking about myself all that much hahaha

Lol

Ok I will copy paste that section

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

Ok done copy pasted community and unloved but enough about me lol

Xlorp
Jan 23, 2008

Vulpes Vulpes posted:

VaJarJar Dentata

with a rebel yell she QQd
Jan 18, 2007

Villain

As previously mentioned, I finally bit the bullet and got an Epic Eldar army.

I had 1 Warlock titan before I bought this lot, so if any Epic players could help out and let me know what else I should be getting to build a functioning army out of these I would be grateful!

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

That's a shitload of models, nice!

I've only ever played the official Biel-Tan list for eldar, so all of my notes below assume that.

At first glance: it looks like you have four based stands of aspect warriors and then a bunch of individual (removed from bases probably) troops that will need to be based. I can't quite see what you have though; you'll need some chaff, so a bunch of stands of guardians. If that's what you've got in that first pic on the left that's good, make up like a dozen or so stands of them. I'm also not seeing any heavy/support weapons platforms for them, although I may be missing them; that's not strictly required, but I usually put a few heavy or support platforms into each guardian warhost, which are the core units you have to have some of in that list. You may want more aspect warriors. I would never feel bad about proxying for the little tiny mans, as long as your opponent can tell what you've got, but it's also not too expensive to pick up some stands of these dudes on ebay or whatever.

Top left of the first pic you have some wraithguard/wraithlords, that's good - make up a few stands of those wraithguard too.

You'll want a Wraithgate. This is terrain, it should be built as an objective marker (you replace one on-board objective marker with the wraithgate during setup) so if you have a standard size objective marker you're using, use that base size. You don't need to buy a wraithgate if you'd rather scratchbuild or proxy one.

I don't know if you have the models but you will likely want to field an Avatar and retinue, which is free for Biel Tan.

Only having a warlock (850 points) as your titan option could be points-constraining. I often use a Phantom (750 points) or a pair of Revenants (650), especially at the 3000 point game level. I suppose you could proxy your biggest knights as revenants, but be sure to use proper-sized bases for them if you do, and you might be at a light-of-sight disadvantage vs. tall terrain occasionally?

I like to field rangers and/or war walkers, they're nice because they're Scouts. Again though this is totally optional, you can field armies without them and win. I bet you could proxy those knights as war walkers if you wanted, since knights don't exist in the EA rules.

The only other issue I see is that it looks like you have four nightwings and one phoenix bomber or vampire raider? Not sure? You may find sometimes you want more aircraft variety/availability, This is totally not "necessary" though. In Biel Tan you buy them as 3x nightwings, 3x phoenix bombers, or 1x vampire, and you don't have an option to buy in different quantities.

The good part: you've got shedloads of vehicles and war machines, plenty of bikes, transports (from two different editions), falcons, some cool old knight models, I see some unassembled fire prisms etc. too, I think some of those are scorpions or cobras, so you can put together a big nice list already even if you don't have most of the stuff I mentioned above.

Leperflesh fucked around with this message at 20:44 on Dec 20, 2022

Virtual Russian
Sep 15, 2008

Leperflesh posted:

good advice

Going to echo that this is really solid advice.

IMO the Warlock is only to be taken in games over 3k points. It locks you out of way too many options. At 3k I really like Revenants, they jump around so nimbly and pack a real punch, made of glass though. They are perfect for decapitating artillery or breaking units that are heavily supressed. If you don't use Revenants I'd always take at least a single scorpion to help fill this role. I never take more than one though. You have several so you are set there.

I do really love the Phantom Titan. It presents a real dilemma for your opponent. Attempting to kill it can be a total waste of firepower, but ignoring it isn't a good option either. I use it with the power fist, keeping it close in assaulting or supporting every turn possible. It provides solid air cover and really can chew up enemy formations.

I honestly almost never take Eldar aircraft, too many other goodies I prioritize. With Revenants jumping around you won't miss aircraft. Just be sure to have Firestorms if you also go this way. Pretty sure I see 3 of them in your collection. They also really help to beef up your army's AP shooting, which is definitely a weak spot with Eldar. Don't try to shoot it out with Eldar though, assault as much as possible. With the ability to perform a full move after winning an assault you can disassemble your opponent's army before their eyes in turn three if you play your cards even half decently.

I'm also going to emphasize War Walkers, I usually take a unit of 6. This is very much against the orthodoxy, but I love that unit. For their cost they fight way above their weight, and are one of two units able to garrison. Your opponent will (almost) always treat them like sentinels, right up until you catch some armor in a crossfire and poo poo on them with 12 AT5+ shots, half of which are lances. Their 6+ reinforced armor is laughable, but makes it hilarious when they make the rare save vs MW shots. If your opponent is shooting at them at all with serious firepower they are doing their job well.

I'd recommend considering using the jetbikes as shinning spears. They will outperform jetbikes in every way.

Eldar are super fun to play, there are also a ton of strategy guides out there. Well worth reading, but I'd encourage you to think outside the box. They have a degree of flexibility that a lot of other armies just don't offer. Emphasize the units you really like and build around them. IMO there are no wrong answers with the Eldar, they are always fun to play and very competitive.

Jan 18, 2007

Villain

Thanks for the advice guys! I guess my next step should be taking a couple of more titans.

I took inventory of my infantry and found some extra units stored away with the Warlock (3 Falcons, 1 Vampire, 2 jet bikes, 1 vibro canon platform).
Tiny dude list:
72 guardians with shuriken catapults + 3 old guardians with lasguns
1 dire avenger
10 harlequin
4 warlocks
1 farseer
11 rangers
5 striking scorpions
13 howling banshees
16 swooping hawks
6 dark reapers
19 wraithguard
32 jetbikes
1 vibro canon paltform, no t
1 imperial guard guy with lasgun, for whatever reason

I don't have bases for most of these. What's the difference between a square base or a long base? Which one should I get?

I will take inventory of all the vehicles as well, but a bunch of them seem to be no longer playable in the latest edition and I also have 2-3 generations of some.
Meanwhile thinking about repainting them Alaitoc or Ilyanden.

Virtual Russian
Sep 15, 2008

Base is up to you. I use the 40mm x 12mm style purely because I started playing when Epic Armageddon came out.

I'm sure someone could split hairs about frontage and clipping assaults, but I've never felt there was a tactical advantage to either base format.

Virtual Russian
Sep 15, 2008

Also if I was playing against you I'd be 100% happy to count your Eldar Knights as Revenants. I love how they look and I don't think a newer version would look cohesive with your army.

Jan 18, 2007

Villain

Good news, my Warlock is... a Phantom.

It's with Head 2, Heat lance and Power fist.

Virtual Russian posted:

Also if I was playing against you I'd be 100% happy to count your Eldar Knights as Revenants. I love how they look and I don't think a newer version would look cohesive with your army.

Hope others would accept them as such as well, because I really love those models.

Virtual Russian
Sep 15, 2008

"Counts as" rules are officially ok last I checked, but also everyone I've played with is extremely relaxed about that wort of thing. The big tournament I go to locally is 100% fine with proxies so long as they aren't another existing model that has rules. So you can't use wave serpents as firestorms, but knights as Revenants are ok.

Generally Epic people are just happy to play, no one cares much about proxies, especially since the game has been out of print for nearly 2 decades.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

It took me ages to find a pair of the revenants of the design I like

vs. the design I don't like:

I agree with counts-as for whatever.

My army is sourced from multiple ebay purchases so I have mixed basing between square and long rectangles and it's fine. There's no significant advantage really.

For basing purposes I suggest you go ahead and use the normal 5 infantry per base, but feel free to swap out one dude for a proxy when you can't divide your number of dudes by 5 exactly, again I've never played an epic player who would complain about that.

with a rebel yell she QQd posted:

I will take inventory of all the vehicles as well, but a bunch of them seem to be no longer playable in the latest edition and I also have 2-3 generations of some.

There's a "counts-as" advice bit in the official E:A rules for older models, it doesn't have an entry for knights but it does for the tanks and stuff. "Collector's Models" in Swordwind, page 76-77.

Bright Stallion = Fire Prism
Fire Gale = Firestorm
Towering Destroyer = Revenant
Exarch stand = Swooping Hawks with Exarch
Harlequins = Howling Banshees
Lascannon HWP = HWP
Vibro-Cannon SWP = SWP
Warlock stand = Farseer

e. there's also this short list in the text of stuff the "imperial scholars named wrong" lol:
Death Stalker = Fire Prism
Doom Weaver = Night Spinner
Tempest = Scorpion
Warp Hunter = Cobra

Don't feel like you have to use this list of course, but it's a reasonable starting place.

Leperflesh fucked around with this message at 02:29 on Dec 21, 2022

srypher
Jun 3, 2011

Really?

Finished painting up my Kommandos, and almost have my Tyranid Warriors finished before heading home for the holidays.

srypher fucked around with this message at 07:12 on Dec 21, 2022

protomexican
May 1, 2009
Hell yeah buddy! I came here to post my just finished kommandos also!

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

protomexican posted:

Hell yeah buddy! I came here to post my just finished kommandos also!

Yoooooo these rule dude! Love the sheer popping colors!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

Virtual Russian posted:

"Counts as" rules are officially ok last I checked, but also everyone I've played with is extremely relaxed about that wort of thing. The big tournament I go to locally is 100% fine with proxies so long as they aren't another existing model that has rules. So you can't use wave serpents as firestorms, but knights as Revenants are ok.

Generally Epic people are just happy to play, no one cares much about proxies, especially since the game has been out of print for nearly 2 decades.

Yeah, I was going to say that the benefit of Epic (and the rest of the Specialist games) being dead is that the community is generally very relaxed and chill regarding how folks go about it. Basing is pretty fluid, proxies are fine, and experimentation is encouraged. We're all here to have fun, man... :cool: