Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mirthless
Mar 27, 2011

by the sex ghost
This is the tale of Shazak Backgripped, Gorlak Bard, Inktaxes' favorite son:

Shazak came to Inktaxes living the life of a bard. He quickly made an impression on the residents of our fort, and was welcomed with open arms when he petitioned for residence. For some reason, we had been popular with beastmen during our first couple of years of operation and had managed to attract a Coyote Man and a Dingo Man as well. Making the tavern his main home, he made fast friends with the other performers and was soon joining the rest of the fort in song and dance:

After a couple of years, Shazak had really become part of the family. He petitioned for citizenship and it was granted. Everybody knew him, most people liked him, and while he wasn't winning any elections, drat if he wasn't my favorite character in the fort. "If the people won't make him the mayor, I'll grant him a position!"

I set my smiths to work so the little guy would be prepared, and then set the title. Shazak Backgripped, Gorlak Bard, became Shazak Backgripped, Captain of the Guard:

Shazak confronts a thief. The coward fled their well-deserved beating!

After letting him and his troops - mostly other petitioned citizens - train for a while, I set them out on a mission with a more experienced unit of troops, to assault a dark goblin fortress with a population of "~10". This turned out to be a bit more than the poor little dude could handle:

Facing off against 173 ogres, Shazak's entire unit was wiped out, save for Shazak himself, a human in the #6 position and an elf in the #2, who I decided was Shazak's second in command.

I had Shazak and Ana spend a bit more time in training and sent them back out into the field a few months later, picking a pit instead of a fortress as a destination this time. It went significantly better:

(As Shazak's second in command, Ana ends up being the one to deliver punishments - her named kills were fortress natives she beat to death with her bare hands. :ohdear:)

Not only did we kill a couple waves of Ogres, but we brought home a bunch of beak dogs we seized in the siege as well:

The goblins didn't take this lying down, and we were soon dealing with a siege from them, not to mention problems with a salt demon that had emerged from a pocket of gems in the magma sea. Shazak did his duty, defended the fortress from invaders, and headed off to the food stockpiles to refresh himself with some prickle berry wine at the end of a hard day. The last thing he remembered hearing was the laughter of children.

Tirist, our fortress' worst criminal, will go on to murder the duchess/expedition leader of my fort minutes later. She is six years old and nobody will punish her. I made Ana the captain of the guard, and Ana just yelled at her and let her go. :(

We were able to successfully bury some of Shazak's remains, but most of them went into making a pair of Gorlak Bone Pants. Unfortunately, this didn't quite sit right with Shazak's spirit, as he came back to haunt us shortly after.

But even as a ghost, Shazak's an alright guy. He spends a while in my smithing area, cracking jokes about that time he was naked:

One of the things we did for Shazak while he was alive, was set him up a temple to his favored god, the trickster Azoc Mazeseers. He was one of only two worshippers in the whole fort, but we made it a full temple, just like all the other ones. He even helped us out with the engravings. It was his favorite place to be in the fort when he wasn't training or operating the forges, so we engraved a slab, and with a heavy heart, set it up in the temple, dispelling his ghost. I noticed after I set up the slab, that I'd built it on a tile he'd engraved:

We also placed what remains of his body in a display case not far away:

Pour one out for a real Gorlak.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GruntyThrst
Oct 9, 2007

*clang*

What was the starting condition tweak for flatter, wider caverns?

Mirthless
Mar 27, 2011

by the sex ghost

GruntyThrst posted:

What was the starting condition tweak for flatter, wider caverns?

Cavern Openness should be increased and Cavern Passage Density should be decreased

I usually set the openness minimum variable to 50+ and the passage density maximum to 30 or 40 - this tends to create RPG-like caves with mostly open areas connected by straightforward narrow passages

Mirthless fucked around with this message at 23:03 on Dec 19, 2022

Sultan Tarquin
Jul 29, 2007

and what kind of world would it be? HUH?!
Pouring out a barrel for a real motherfucker Shazak.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Never have I related to a dwarf more

Mrenda
Mar 14, 2012
I had my third fey mood, and it was the first time I actually paid attention to it. It seems my previous two we just happened to have all the items needed, so it worked out fine. Turns out my dorf-senses tingled for a reason this time. They wanted wood (fine) cut gems, which I didn't have because I don't want my dumb dwarves using gems randomly/I'm playing on lower ore settings, and bones. I set a dwarf to cut ten gems in my jewellers, no problem. The bones were more of a problem, I had to build a butchers straight away (as I'd ignored the fey mood for a few weeks) then slaughter the only animals I have breeding. I had three or four turkey hens, and two gobblers. The hens had just given birth, so I selected two of the adults to be choppy-choppy-ed. I'm sure your babies won't miss you and will grow up to be fine turkey mince. Thankfully two sets of turkey bones was enough for my fey-mood dorf, and she got on with it.

A wooden cabinet that, "menaces with spikes of turkey bones." That'll be going into the first noble's bedroom that has the audacity to demand something fancy. Other than that I'll have to focus on those moods in the future. I lucked into avoiding disaster in the past.

Now just to figure out what to do with the turkey fat. I know it's used in some process but I haven't figured it out yet. After that I think I'll open my tavern to the public. Especially as I've also built quite a few instruments to go in there. I bet we could get a grand hooley going.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

Mirthless posted:

I never heard of him before today and I love him. What a great little dude.

Mister Bates
Aug 4, 2010
I have been playing this game since 2008 and I have still never actually had a fell mood, although I did have somebody in a macabre mood create a helm out of dwarf bones once

GruntyThrst
Oct 9, 2007

*clang*

Ooof there's no way to highlight or zoom on a minecart route? you just have to know which is which? Hope that changes fast.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Does anyone have any tips for getting a manager to actually manage work orders? Mine spends a lot of time just hanging out in the tavern, socializing, eating, drinking, etc. and leaves queued work orders sitting for seasons at a time.

I turned off all work types for them and Specialized them, so they do no "work" other than occasionally turning on the skills they're good at like stonecarving to help with the mood debuffs for getting rusty. But even when Specialized with no assigned work they spend a lot of time just faffing around.

e: Meanwhile my melee squad ignores all their needs and trains until they go berserk from unhappiness :pwn:

deep dish peat moss fucked around with this message at 23:34 on Dec 19, 2022

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Mrenda posted:

I had my third fey mood, and it was the first time I actually paid attention to it. It seems my previous two we just happened to have all the items needed, so it worked out fine. Turns out my dorf-senses tingled for a reason this time. They wanted wood (fine) cut gems, which I didn't have because I don't want my dumb dwarves using gems randomly/I'm playing on lower ore settings, and bones. I set a dwarf to cut ten gems in my jewellers, no problem. The bones were more of a problem, I had to build a butchers straight away (as I'd ignored the fey mood for a few weeks) then slaughter the only animals I have breeding. I had three or four turkey hens, and two gobblers. The hens had just given birth, so I selected two of the adults to be choppy-choppy-ed. I'm sure your babies won't miss you and will grow up to be fine turkey mince. Thankfully two sets of turkey bones was enough for my fey-mood dorf, and she got on with it.

A wooden cabinet that, "menaces with spikes of turkey bones." That'll be going into the first noble's bedroom that has the audacity to demand something fancy. Other than that I'll have to focus on those moods in the future. I lucked into avoiding disaster in the past.

Now just to figure out what to do with the turkey fat. I know it's used in some process but I haven't figured it out yet. After that I think I'll open my tavern to the public. Especially as I've also built quite a few instruments to go in there. I bet we could get a grand hooley going.
Fat should be rendered to tallow in the kitchen automatically (i mean, a dorf has to do it but it queues on its own). Tallow should keep fine. I'm not sure if dwarfs will just eat that poo poo, but it can be turned into soap or cooked to bulk up meals.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

deep dish peat moss posted:

Does anyone have any tips for getting a manager to actually manage work orders? Mine spends a lot of time just hanging out in the tavern, socializing, eating, drinking, etc. and leaves queued work orders sitting for seasons at a time.

I turned off all work types for them and Specialized them, so they do no "work" other than occasionally turning on the skills they're good at like stonecarving to help with the mood debuffs for getting rusty. But even when Specialized with no assigned work they spend a lot of time just faffing around.

Do they have an office with a table and a chair? The actual work of approving a work order takes almost no time.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

yeah i didn't know they actually had to do anything to make the orders go through

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Admiral Joeslop posted:

Do they have an office with a table and a chair? The actual work of approving a work order takes almost no time.

Yeah, they just rarely actually go there :(

e: FWIW this seems to only happen when I have a large amount (20-30+) of work orders queued up

Lemon
May 22, 2003

I have a dwarven child who has been convicted of disorderly conduct fourteen times, (which has led to the death of two other dwarves and worse, the destruction of a still). They are an unstoppable force of mayhem and even broke the spine of my Captain of the Guard when he tried to conduct an interrogation.

The problem is that they are only thirteen years old and, as I understand it, won't face any punishment until they become an adult at eighteen.

I'm not prepared to wait that long, but how much trouble might it potentially cause if/when I have my military summarily execute them?

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

dwarves will just nibble on a block of tallow yes

they're gross little folks sometimes

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Okay assigning new leather armor outfits to squads is a huge pain in the rear end. You have to select all the item types but then to make sure they don't equip metal ones you have to scroll through a gigantic list of every possible material (including like 40 different Forgotten Beast Silks and the skins of various forgotten beasts) to select the type(s) of leather your armor is made out of, except the list isn't alphabetical and there's no way to sort or search it.

It seems to at least be vaguely sorted by biome the creature is in but :effort: I'm just going to make metal armor for my archers.

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?

Lemon posted:

I have a dwarven child who has been convicted of disorderly conduct fourteen times, (which has led to the death of two other dwarves and worse, the destruction of a still). They are an unstoppable force of mayhem and even broke the spine of my Captain of the Guard when he tried to conduct an interrogation.

The problem is that they are only thirteen years old and, as I understand it, won't face any punishment until they become an adult at eighteen.

I'm not prepared to wait that long, but how much trouble might it potentially cause if/when I have my military summarily execute them?

Put that kid in a sealed room with a lever and a floodgate

Clocks
Oct 2, 2007

Mirthless posted:

"Hey Dostom, buddy, watcha got there?"

Oh, uh, wow. 8 cats, huh? You wanna, uh, you wanna slow down on that?

N-No? Okay, that last one was really cute but you can't possibly-

:smith:

You don't choose cats, they choose you! I wonder if under-the-hood he has a personality that attracts them or something.

deep dish peat moss posted:

e: Meanwhile my melee squad ignores all their needs and trains until they go berserk from unhappiness :pwn:

No real advice here since I've not had issues with work orders, but I HAVE had issues with dwarves going to Worship! in dedicated temples and literally not stopping until I un-designated the temples. So my only advice is to maybe pause the tavern zone for a bit to get him to move? (Although once I re-zoned the temples I just ran into the same problem. I'm assuming something is bugging out but I don't know how to go about reporting it.)

Lemon posted:

I think that might cause problems but some kind of magma/drawbridge accidents could probably be arranged. I do agree that you should be able to actually punish kids somehow, they just never seem to stop tantruming from trauma once they start and they can literally murder dwarves with no way to stop them.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

Lemon posted:

I had a child kill the loving mayor for no reason, with again, no charge.

Time to dig in the raws and see if I can rescind their justice exemption, or at least make them adults earlier.

GruntyThrst
Oct 9, 2007

*clang*

Do you get an alert if a tavern brawl starts or is it just another instance of combat? I’m assuming the latter as I now have 5 dead dwarves that I’m not sure where they came from, and lots of blood in my tavern.

Sultan Tarquin
Jul 29, 2007

and what kind of world would it be? HUH?!
I just remembered I got 3 migrants and I just checked one and uhhh

Clocks
Oct 2, 2007

GruntyThrst posted:

Do you get an alert if a tavern brawl starts or is it just another instance of combat? I’m assuming the latter as I now have 5 dead dwarves that I’m not sure where they came from, and lots of blood in my tavern.

It will just be a bunch of combat alerts unless someone specifically went berserk from a failed fey mood or something. I had another were-lizard transform in the middle of my new fort's tavern, luckily the military was coming back from mopping up some cavern invaders and ended it pretty quickly (but not before a couple visitors and one of my dwarves got bitten).

In one of my first forts I think someone hit someone else and started an all-out tavern brawl that killed like 8 people, it was deadlier than the most recent forgotten beast I had gone to fight lol.

Sultan Tarquin posted:

They're pretty useful but I also had one cause fps death when I put him in my military squad that went outside since he wouldn't stop rezzing hostile poo poo that my 50-man military was then punching down every second. Literally had to close out the game since it ground to a halt.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Sultan Tarquin posted:

Creator of The Dwarves, huh

e: what if Armok was one of us

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

Mirthless posted:

Hell yeah beards high.

fermun
Nov 4, 2009

Clocks posted:

They're pretty useful but I also had one cause fps death when I put him in my military squad that went outside since he wouldn't stop rezzing hostile poo poo that my 50-man military was then punching down every second. Literally had to close out the game since it ground to a halt.

My necromancer is my militia commander and head of my best militia squad, I have them patrol outside from time to time and he'll just raise a bunch of zombie animals that attack the squad at the start of every patrol, keeping them in practice.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

It's like how in the Re-Animator movies Herbert West keeps re-animating things and always seems slightly surprised when they wake up furious and attempt to kill him.

Mirthless
Mar 27, 2011

by the sex ghost

GruntyThrst posted:

Just an instance of combat. If you get a bunch of "[name] is fighting!" messages that you aren't expecting, it's probably either a tantrum or a tavern brawl

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Ugh, just had a fort wiped out by a necromancer and 15 zombies showing up right at the start of the second year. That feels like a bit much.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

The Moon Monster posted:

Ugh, just had a fort wiped out by a necromancer and 15 zombies showing up right at the start of the second year. That feels like a bit much.
Get everyone you like inside and wall up the entrance and you might gut it out.

Darth Various
Oct 23, 2010

"So you want to join the Fortress. What's your name and what to you plan to provide?"

"Funny you should ask..."

Mirthless
Mar 27, 2011

by the sex ghost

Clocks posted:

You don't choose cats, they choose you! I wonder if under-the-hood he has a personality that attracts them or something.

No real advice here since I've not had issues with work orders, but I HAVE had issues with dwarves going to Worship! in dedicated temples and literally not stopping until I un-designated the temples. So my only advice is to maybe pause the tavern zone for a bit to get him to move? (Although once I re-zoned the temples I just ran into the same problem. I'm assuming something is bugging out but I don't know how to go about reporting it.)

I think that might cause problems but some kind of magma/drawbridge accidents could probably be arranged. I do agree that you should be able to actually punish kids somehow, they just never seem to stop tantruming from trauma once they start and they can literally murder dwarves with no way to stop them.

I get the feeling that these random events are key to getting out of the childhood tantrum spiral, the outcomes seem to have a pretty significant impact on dwarves' overall mood but I have no idea how to actually interact with this system

All of my problems started in 149 with the rain event, but when she got a sense of humor in 154 she started to mellow out a bit and is drifting towards yellow mood. She's still throwing tantrums a lot but it's starting to cool off. I doubt I'm going to play this file for 11 more years to get her to adulthood, but I feel like these moody periods can probably be overcome in the long term.

GruntyThrst
Oct 9, 2007

*clang*

Mirthless posted:

Just an instance of combat. If you get a bunch of "[name] is fighting!" messages that you aren't expecting, it's probably either a tantrum or a tavern brawl

Yeah I didn’t really notice it because the area I settle in has an infinite number of agitated giant birds, combat is just a given.

My population has settle around 180, every season I lose 5ish dwarves to bird attacks and gain 5ish migrants.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

I had a very picky Captain of the Guard and I just finished building an absurdly extravagant bedroom/diningroom/office for them, with electrum and rosegold furniture, fully-engraved, everything.

As I'm hauling the furniture to the room, a Hill Titan shows up, I send my military and that Captain of the Guard is the only one to die. I guess his replacement gets a nice room :unsmith:

Valtonen
May 13, 2014

Tanks still suck but you don't gotta hand it to the Axis either.
For making soap the big problem with tallow is that dwarves *love* using it as cooking ingredient, so you basically have to butcher a critter, then render fat (or wait for rendering to automatically happen if you havent turned off auto-kitchen) abd then immediately forbid tallow from cooking ingredient menu.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

How the heck do you select things under a creature? For instance if a child is playing on a lever, I can't select the lever. Or if a dog is standing on a table, I can't deconstruct the table. I remember in classic DF I'd press... V maybe and get some special cursor selection mode? is there anything like that now?

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

Baronjutter posted:

How the heck do you select things under a creature? For instance if a child is playing on a lever, I can't select the lever. Or if a dog is standing on a table, I can't deconstruct the table. I remember in classic DF I'd press... V maybe and get some special cursor selection mode? is there anything like that now?

There's a tab on the upper right that will let you select the other stuff on that tile. There might be a hotkey but I don't know if there is.

Dr. Clockwork
Sep 9, 2011

I'LL PUT MY SCIENCE IN ALL OF YOU!
Started a new world the other night for the hell of it so I could look at Legends. I found the most buckwild historical figure I've seen to date.

Bilenuts the Ugly Mint Tongue is a demon who loving loves foot races and wrestling competitions with the dwarves at Winechambers. He always wins. He bonded with several dwarves there over the love of athletics. Then he got a goblin army together to attack some outposts nearby and murder roughly 60-odd dwarves. Then went back to Winechambers for some more wrasslin and racin. Winechambers sadly fell to a Forgotten Beast 3 years before my embark though. I'm sure Bilenuts is distraught, wherever he is now.

These wrestling matches and foot races, are they a Legends only fluff thing, or something that can actually occur in game? I really want to settle near the ruins of Winechambers and figure out a way to entice Bilenuts to come wrestle my dwarves.

Lemon
May 22, 2003

My troublesome child criminal was brought to justice by a giant bushtit. Get hosed, Shorast Amostsigun, everyone else gets a tomb with a slab and a statue, but I'm burying you in the caverns.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Valtonen posted:

For making soap the big problem with tallow is that dwarves *love* using it as cooking ingredient, so you basically have to butcher a critter, then render fat (or wait for rendering to automatically happen if you havent turned off auto-kitchen) abd then immediately forbid tallow from cooking ingredient menu.

I always set my kitchens so they can only take from stockpiles that hold stuff like powders/leaves/cheese to avoid this. Also prevents them from using all your brewables.