Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

I'M A BIG DORK WHO POSTS TOO MUCH ABOUT CONVENTIONS LOOK AT THIS

TOVA TOVA TOVA
This request has been a heck of a rollercoaster

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

uvar
Jul 25, 2011

Avoid breathing
radioactive dust.
College Slice
I keep thinking it reads "circumcision device", which would also understandably have a lot of warning text.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
I love terrible music. What's this song? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vbWLabqeLqk

Mescal
Jul 23, 2005

The complete cartoons of the new yorker coffee table book: attached 2 cd-roms, but readable and non-corrupted

Youremother
Dec 26, 2011

MORT

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aaIjs8K3oYo

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

Listen, I've been around a bit, you know, and I thought I'd seen some creepy things go on in the movie business, but I really have to say this is the most disgusting thing that's ever happened to me.
the copy of TMNT #1 2nd printing which I held on to through multiple moves when it was only worth $50 and fully believe to be somewhere on this loving property, but absolutely for the life of me cannot find now that it sells for quad-digits on eBay

PantsOptional
Dec 27, 2012

All I wanna do is make you bounce
Not precisely something I've tried to find for ages, but I could swear that I heard the Wreck of the Edmund Fitzgerald recently either on TV or in a movie/trailer and my searches are all coming up with nothing.

Internet Old One
Dec 6, 2021

Coke Adds Life
KMART.BAS - K-Mart From Hell

A real stupid text game that I actually really enjoyed. I’d really like to take a look at it.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

A ridiculous scene from a cop procedural (?) that I think was discussed somewhere on the forums: just before being shot to death by a cop, a criminal guy has a vision of a woman who's his wife or girlfriend in an alternate universe where he wasn't a criminal? Something like that? Then the bullet hits and he just dies. The conversation was about how the scene was one of the dumbest the person had ever seen.

Maybe I dreamed this, dunno.

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

TOVA TOVA TOVA
Occurrence at Owl Creek Bridge 2: Occurrencer

Your Gay Uncle
Feb 16, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
There was some guy who showed up in one of the upcoming movie threads in CD with a post that went something like " check out this rad hilarious movie I just saw a trailer for" and it was some god awful comedy about an idiot who didn't know how to dance and he learned how to dance. After about 5 seconds of digging people found out the guy who made the post made the same post in bunches of other forums and that he played the lead of the movie. He had a pretty funny meltdown about it. This was maybe 6 or 7 years ago. His name was Tommy Tuna or something. Does anyone know what that movie was called?

Robert Facepalmer
Jan 10, 2019

https://twitter.com/SA__moment/status/1552105585834876928

Trollipop
Apr 10, 2007

hippin and hoppin
Super Hornio Brothers

Kirk Vikernes
Apr 26, 2004

Count Goatnackh

Which part are you looking for? The thread? If you read Sleeveless/of SCIENCE/Guy Mann/Sorting Algorithms/Erotic Wakes' (whichever you like to call the dipshit) Twitter post, the movie is on Tubi.

Dumb Sex-Parrot
Dec 25, 2020

Absurd Pox Term
Rad Buxom Strep

Retard Ox Bumps
Borax Dumpster

Dares Box Trump

Junk posted:

back in the late 90s in canada this new channel appeared called Teletoon. nowadays it's a pale shadow of its former glory, but back when it was new they would air just about fuckin anything late at night. I remember they'd sometimes have these old crappy cartoons that looked like they were from the 70s or something. I don't remember what this one was called, but it aired right after The Nudnik Show or around the same time as it (after 9PM, circa 1997/98). Here is how I remember this show: it featured a boy and a girl who were playing in a junk yard or landfill or something and built a car out of an old bathtub and some other trash that was lying around. There was some explanation of how it worked narrated by the boy as it showed the moving parts appearing on the bathtub as he described them to the friendly junk yard owner. they get in the bathtub car and start to ride around in it until it breaks down. the children lament that "delilah" isn't there to pull them back home, and the junk yard owner who is also riding in the bathtub car with the kids, tells them that she is. A smiling donkey then appears, apparently having been riding covertly in this bathtub the whole time. the boy exclaims "deliah! are WE GLAD to SEE YOU!" then some other stuff happens that I don't remember, i think my parents made me go to bed at this point.

it was exactly as crappy as it sounds and it's been seared into my memory since i was 11. please someone help me get this awful cartoon out of my system

I found a schedule from May '98 which includes the Nudnik show, but there really isn't anything which could be the show you're describing. The show Frame by Frame is a compilation show, which may have it but the one I found at youtube didn't have kids in a bathtub. Maybe it's just lost for good?
https://web.archive.org/web/19980503130851/http://teletoon.com/schedule.htm#adult

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLB17F9223E8277584

I also found a more comprehensive list of all shows broadcast on Teletoon: https://teletoonandbeyond.fandom.com/wiki/Cartoons_By_Years

Scarodactyl
Oct 22, 2015

Don't give this guy attention.

Shannow
Aug 30, 2003

Frumious Bandersnatch
There's a creepy graphic novel that I believe i saw on these very forums many years ago I've been trying to recall the name of, it was about a student and professor cataloging strange features on buildings, like an out of place brick sticking out, becoming more and more obsessed with these weird features, then the professor tells the student to hurry over, as they've made a discovery, and when the student arrives, the door to the office is gone, replaced with a wall, and upon seeing it they forget everything and go back to normal life, anyone know what I'm talking about?

Your Gay Uncle
Feb 16, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Kirk Vikernes posted:

Which part are you looking for? The thread? If you read Sleeveless/of SCIENCE/Guy Mann/Sorting Algorithms/Erotic Wakes' (whichever you like to call the dipshit) Twitter post, the movie is on Tubi.

Honestly I just wanted the trailer to show to someone. I was a lot closer with Tommy Tuna then I thought. Thank you kindly!

Zathril
Nov 12, 2011

Shannow posted:

There's a creepy graphic novel that I believe i saw on these very forums many years ago I've been trying to recall the name of, it was about a student and professor cataloging strange features on buildings, like an out of place brick sticking out, becoming more and more obsessed with these weird features, then the professor tells the student to hurry over, as they've made a discovery, and when the student arrives, the door to the office is gone, replaced with a wall, and upon seeing it they forget everything and go back to normal life, anyone know what I'm talking about?

This?

Shannow
Aug 30, 2003

Frumious Bandersnatch

You absolute champion, thanks!

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
Who's the online artist that makes concept art of various types of mecha, usually with accompanying lore? I remember some of the concepts were biomechanical and others were just heavy mechanical with a strong influence from old Soviet or German tanks, and some weren't even mecha at all but wasteland scavengers in plague doctor masks, or twisted energy beings or creatures.

shelley
Nov 8, 2010

Mister Speaker posted:

Who's the online artist that makes concept art of various types of mecha, usually with accompanying lore? I remember some of the concepts were biomechanical and others were just heavy mechanical with a strong influence from old Soviet or German tanks, and some weren't even mecha at all but wasteland scavengers in plague doctor masks, or twisted energy beings or creatures.

Keith Thompson?

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR

Thank you!!!

shelley
Nov 8, 2010

You're welcome :)

Lavender Philtrum
May 16, 2011
A particularly strange foreign film, the only thing I can remember about it is a scene of a man in his apartment, playing guitar in his kitchen. It was in french, or spanish, or something like that, and the entire movie was pretty surreal with lots of weird architecture and design-- I think I remember a flying car, or a train that ran on tracks really high off the ground, right outside the window of the apartment of the guitar-playing man?

I also think that the guitar-playing man's scene was apropos of nothing else in the film, the camera just zoomed into his window or something like that, and there he was.

!Klams
Dec 25, 2005

Squid Squad
It's like a meme video, badly animated of an imperial guard trooper marching across various backgrounds, with some funny music playing. I got the impression it's a format where you'd have different people doing the walking, but I only ever saw that one?

DontMockMySmock
Aug 9, 2008

I got this title for the dumbest fucking possible take on sea shanties. Specifically, I derailed the meme thread because sailors in the 18th century weren't woke enough for me, and you shouldn't sing sea shanties. In fact, don't have any fun ever.

!Klams posted:

It's like a meme video, badly animated of an imperial guard trooper marching across various backgrounds, with some funny music playing. I got the impression it's a format where you'd have different people doing the walking, but I only ever saw that one?

This format?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U4vbyhHGsRw

Killingyouguy!
Sep 8, 2014

!Klams posted:

... Was it a Brodyquest parody?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ygI-2F8ApUM

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

!Klams posted:

This??
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QioYypdM-_I

E: wrong kind of troopers :sweatdrop:

Snowglobe of Doom fucked around with this message at 02:50 on Dec 16, 2022

HelloIAmYourHeart
Dec 29, 2008
Fallen Rib

Lavender Philtrum posted:

A particularly strange foreign film, the only thing I can remember about it is a scene of a man in his apartment, playing guitar in his kitchen. It was in french, or spanish, or something like that, and the entire movie was pretty surreal with lots of weird architecture and design-- I think I remember a flying car, or a train that ran on tracks really high off the ground, right outside the window of the apartment of the guitar-playing man?

I also think that the guitar-playing man's scene was apropos of nothing else in the film, the camera just zoomed into his window or something like that, and there he was.

Triplets of Belleville maybe?

Lavender Philtrum
May 16, 2011

HelloIAmYourHeart posted:

Triplets of Belleville maybe?

Nope, it was perhaps from the 2000s but it was live-action, not animated.

yaffle
Sep 15, 2002

Flapdoodle

Lavender Philtrum posted:

Something by Jeunet et Caro maybe?

!Klams
Dec 25, 2005

Squid Squad

YES! It was absolutely this, this is the same music and exactly the same weird style... Ok, great, can't be hard to find with that connection, thanks!

...And actually in fact, literally the first thing I found!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qUW8sBaacQI&t=2s

Cheers!

Oh poo poo it's by Neil Cicierega?! Ha, no wonder it stuck with me.

!Klams fucked around with this message at 12:58 on Dec 16, 2022

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

TOVA TOVA TOVA
I read William McNeill's "Rise of the West: A History of the Human Community" for my master's research ages ago, and there was an off-handed remark about a small group of "adventurers" (like 6, 10, a dozen, something like that) who nearly conquered Constantinople in the 1500s/1600sish, said so flippantly like this was some kind of anecdote everyone knows, but of course I have absolutely no idea what it referred to nor have I ever been able to figure it out. Any History Goons who immediately know what this is? It basically sounded like the best D&D game ever from that description

I tried to find the passage again in the book at some point after that but it is like 8 million pages and I felt like even if I read it from cover to cover again I could easily doze off mid-sentence and miss it

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Dr. Quarex posted:

I read William McNeill's "Rise of the West: A History of the Human Community" for my master's research ages ago, and there was an off-handed remark about a small group of "adventurers" (like 6, 10, a dozen, something like that) who nearly conquered Constantinople in the 1500s/1600sish, said so flippantly like this was some kind of anecdote everyone knows, but of course I have absolutely no idea what it referred to nor have I ever been able to figure it out. Any History Goons who immediately know what this is? It basically sounded like the best D&D game ever from that description

I tried to find the passage again in the book at some point after that but it is like 8 million pages and I felt like even if I read it from cover to cover again I could easily doze off mid-sentence and miss it

I asked some D&D friends who are history nerds and one of them found the section:

quote:

Nevertheless, the Byzantine empire died slowly. Periods of partial recovery, such as that between 1081 and 1180 under the energetic Comneni emperors, resembled the spectacular recoveries of earlier Byzantine history; but in the long run the social and economic processes undermining the power of the central government proved more than even the most resolute emperors could overcome. During the twelfth century, first Serbia (from 1167) and then Bulgaria (from 1187) broke away from Byzantine sovereignty. A more crippling disaster was the capture of Constantinople by Western Crusaders in 1204. Frankish adventurers held the city until 1261 and carved out duchies for themselves from the richest Byzantine territories of Europe, although they failed to overrun northwestern Asia Minor, where Greek rule and the imperial title survived. Even after the Greek emperor regained his capital, the territories he ruled consisted only of dispersed fragments, owning little more than a nominal allegiance to Constantinople.

This is in McNeill's discussion of the Fourth Crusade.

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

TOVA TOVA TOVA
Hahaha IMMEDIATELY

Great thanks to you and your posting gang, now I get to do my own digging into that random aside. And wonder why I decided he had given a number. At least I was right to not remember specifics!

Edit: My minimal knowledge of middle ages civilizarional terminology goes a long way to explaining how mysterious I found that entry, when it turns out "Frankish" was just a different way of referring to the French crusaders, so that was just reiterating that it was in control of the Fourth Crusade until 1261. Well at least I know the truth now!

Dr. Quarex fucked around with this message at 16:09 on Dec 19, 2022

stratdax
Sep 14, 2006

I saw an anime on Space network (Canada's version of SciFi) in the 90s that took place on possibly Mars or something and they were chasing each other on space motorcycles. The animation and design felt very organic, and I remember the space motorcycles bending or stretching around corners. I don't know if that was just a stylistic design choice or if the bikes in the show/movie were actually bendy.

stratdax fucked around with this message at 09:34 on Dec 19, 2022

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!
It's probably NOT "Venus Wars", but that anime, IIRC, did have strange one-wheeled motorcycles and I think was part of the US Sci-Fi channel anime library.
edit: Trailer
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HL1LuxOWQNk

Mustached5thGrader
Oct 1, 2011

My mother won't let me grow a goatee.
I saw some hbo movie or something as a young teen about an unexpected house guest who seduces the whole family. It wasn’t a soft core, it was a thriller. Dude was a redhead and I imagine him looking like the redhead dweeb from American psycho. There was a scene where he’s in the hot tub with the family’s son?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HolHorsejob
Mar 14, 2020

Portrait of Cheems II of Spain by Jabona Neftman, olo pint on fird
A while back, I saw this pic on Tumblr of like a Japanese magazine ad for various goofy things, and one of them was a hat that functioned like window blinds, and the dude pulling it down over his face. Does anyone know this image?