Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What do you think of the new international distribution deal?
This poll is closed.
Hate it 12 16.90%
REALLY hate it 16 22.54%
Hello, my name is Bob Chapek 43 60.56%
Total: 71 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

Crosspeice posted:

Loving the brown combination but why did they forget the shirt? It's just a shirt. That looks awful. Well I'm sure there's a regeneration mind addled reason he picks that while running from something or whatever.

It’s a nice sweater, op. A perfectly reasonable casual option with a jacket.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Cool suit, wish there was a little more contrast with the pants but i love the orange/brown combo, especially against a blue tardis

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
The brogue boots are really nice, I used to have a similar pair, and they were great until they died.

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.

The_Doctor posted:

Does he need a shirt? He’s got a top on.

She has a name, you know.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Yeah, only negative I have is that I don't know if the shirt quite works, but the rest of the outfit is ace and it looks great in motion. Very nice boots too, though not quite as cool as Whittaker's were :rip:

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

I think it's perfect. To those who think the orange shirt looks a bit odd or off: good. The Doctor should look a little odd. They can wear whatever striking nonsense they want, and as long as they have self confidence it works. A traditionally cool outfit is cool, and the Doctor has had plenty of those and they've worked. But an cool outfit with a striking bizarre quirk also really works.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

It occurred to me while watching an episode that now thanks to Chibnall, Ark in Space is now the second worst use of bubble wrap in Doctor Who.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

The_Doctor posted:

The show was so lucky to get Hurt for the War Doctor. I’d love to know if Moffat had anyone else in mind.
Besides Eccleston, you mean? Because I'm curious myself. Has he ever talked about other options?

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck
I don't love the shirt but it's also going to look a lot different when filming than on a phone camera video in the backlot. Everything else is super snazzy though.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Outfit looks super comfy. Chill Doctor is Chill.

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Think of the facial hair jokes when The Master shows up!

I loved you in Eddie Murphy Raw

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Eiba posted:

I think it's perfect. To those who think the orange shirt looks a bit odd or off: good. The Doctor should look a little odd. They can wear whatever striking nonsense they want, and as long as they have self confidence it works. A traditionally cool outfit is cool, and the Doctor has had plenty of those and they've worked. But an cool outfit with a striking bizarre quirk also really works.

There's striking (see: Baker) and then there's offensive to the eyes (see: Baker)

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Didn't realize the main thread would be on this, but I suppose it'd be unavoidable to even the most spoiler averse.

Like I said in the spoiler thread, I like it. The patterns are pretty cool.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Should've given the MasterDoc Six's coat for maximum clashing outfit pieces, but I guess that'd have completely overshadowed Four's scarf since it's also multi-colored, and the decorative vegetable probably would've vanished into the design too

Ah well, maybe some day they'll bring it back to assault all the senses

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

Dabir posted:

There's striking (see: Baker) and then there's offensive to the eyes (C. Baker)

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!
Orange is the hardest color to pull off, but when it works it works. And I think it works here.

fractalairduct
Sep 26, 2015

I, Giorno Giovanna, have a dream!

It's a good outfit, but I can't help but feel like it's missing some element that would really tie the whole thing together and make it truly Doctorish. Like a bolo tie or a rutabaga.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Nah the 'element' I think in this is that it's a slightly oversized bathrobe like coat he can tie up - video shows it off a bit

Just super comfy

Confusedslight
Jan 9, 2020

Astroman posted:

Didn't realize the main thread would be on this, but I suppose it'd be unavoidable to even the most spoiler averse.

Like I said in the spoiler thread, I like it. The patterns are pretty cool.

I assume we're talking about it here is because it was posted on the official bbc doctor who social media accounts rather than a set report.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

I seem to recall it's the Doctor Who thread that deems the Next Week Ep Preview as spoilers.

So suit reveal is technically spoilers? But also I'm pretty sure if you're a brit it's going to be pretty hard to avoid having that spoiled.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
There’s a lot of jewellery, which while not new, hasn’t been in this kind of quantity before. I’d be interested to see what the pendant around his neck is.

fractalairduct
Sep 26, 2015

I, Giorno Giovanna, have a dream!

I think what I was thinking was that there was nothing about the suit that was really unique to this Doctor, but I had only looked at the image and not the video at that point, so I hadn't seen the jewellery. I'm sure it'll be more clearly visible in the show, so that works.

Updog Scully
Apr 20, 2021

This post is accompanied by all the requisite visual and audio effects.

:blastback::woomy::blaster:
The suit isn't an eyesore which is the important thing. If it was something like an Aran jumper instead of a plain woollen jumper I think it would be perfect.

Class3KillStorm
Feb 17, 2011

The costume feels a little plain, at least right now, but it's also very open to slight modifications. I'm hoping Gatwa will end up doing like Capaldi and only really keep (a version of) the coat (and maybe the boots) as a constant and really change up everything else on a per story basis.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

This just popped up on my feed. Capaldi was a great old Doctor
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wpaLmt1c-a4

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

I loved the Capaldi/Coleman dynamic a lot, she really did feel more like "his" companion than she did with Matt Smith (though they were good together too!)

Confusedslight
Jan 9, 2020
Capaldis tenure keeps going up in the rankings for modern doctor who whenever I put one of his episodes on again. It's so good. Well most of it is.

Heaven sent posted:

The Doctor : I'm going to get out of here and find whoever put me here in the first place. And whatever they're trying to do, I'm going to stop it! We might take a little while, so do you want me to tell you a story? The Brothers Grimm - lovely fellows, they're on my darts team. According to them, there was this emperor, and he asks this shepherd's boy, "How many seconds in eternity?" And the shepherd's boy says, "There's this mountain of pure diamond. It takes an hour to climb it, and an hour to go around it! Every hundred years, a little bird comes and sharpens its beak on the diamond mountain. And when the entire mountain is chiselled away, the first second of eternity will have passed!" You must think that's a hell of a long time...

[4.5 billion years pass]

The Doctor : ...Personally, I think that's a hell of a bird.

https://youtu.be/sl9pTDK8PAk

Confusedslight fucked around with this message at 22:39 on Dec 19, 2022

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

God that episode was so loving good, and that sequence was a goddamn masterpiece.

Confusedslight
Jan 9, 2020
That episode it the best episode of any tv show I have ever seen. The pinnacle of what doctor who can be imo.

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

Two of Moffat's best episodes came out within four weeks of each other.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BgVJDd5vHfw

:o:: "You are so doing those roots."
:v:: "What the roots of the sunset?"
:mad:: "Shut up!"
:grin:: "I'll have to check with 'the stars themselves'."

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Alex Kingston loving SELLS that moment of realization. God she was so good in that scene.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

TinTower posted:

Two of Moffat's best episodes came out within four weeks of each other.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BgVJDd5vHfw

:o:: "You are so doing those roots."
:v:: "What the roots of the sunset?"
:mad:: "Shut up!"
:grin:: "I'll have to check with 'the stars themselves'."

Rhyno posted:

Alex Kingston loving SELLS that moment of realization. God she was so good in that scene.

Shame the first 90% of that episode is completely insufferable

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

"Twenty-four years." never fails to get me to sob like a giant softy, which is exactly what you want at Christmas. :kimchi:

Dabir posted:

It's a Christmas episode, it's supposed to be a silly romp.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

I don't have a problem with silliness

Confusedslight
Jan 9, 2020
Favorite part of that episode.
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=5ga6CwyKvr8&feature=youtu.be - The Doctor entering the tardis!

Confusedslight fucked around with this message at 23:53 on Dec 19, 2022

Clouseau
Aug 3, 2003

My theories appall you, my heresies outrage you, I never answer letters, and you don't like my tie.
Moffat's running gag of people's different reactions to entering the TARDIS was one of my favorite parts of his era, and that was a nice little payoff.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Dabir posted:

how are you so wrong though

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5ga6CwyKvr8

edit: ha, everybody loves that bit

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
God that clip makes me miss Moffat.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Rhyno posted:

that's the one bit that isn't and it lasts about ten seconds

Confusedslight
Jan 9, 2020

Rhyno posted:

I messed up the embedding haha. You're post is much better than my one!!. I think christmas carol is my favorite of his Christmas specials. Think people often forget about that one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Christmas Carol is a Matt Smith Christmas special. It's a fine enough episode, but if you think about it too much the idea of the Doctor going back in time and loving with your life like that is terrifying. Better than almost every other Moffat Christmas special by default, though. Maybe you're thinking of Last Christmas?