Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hazardousmouse
Dec 17, 2010

acidx posted:

Holmes was loving with peoples healthcare though, not just their funny internet money. Bankman-Fried is also young and dumb enough that he might be able to get off light. Really depends on what they find in the investigation. I'm sure they're going to dig up quite a bit of slimy behavior by him that will undermine this idea of him being naive. We already know he was misleading investors about the state of FTX's finances. If there's enough lies and enough evidence to show he was a straight up conman, they might end up trying to make an example out of him.

Yeah but she didn't get convicted on any of the endangering patients charges, purely financial stuff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

You know I am not really your father.

They’ve both caused suicides. So there’s that commonality at least.

notwithoutmyanus
Mar 17, 2009
Oy, this is just stupid.
https://www.trustnodes.com/2022/12/19/bis-greenlights-banks-to-hold-1-2-in-crypto

article posted:

Commercial banks across the world can now hold between 1% and 2% of their tier 1 capital in crypto following a decision by the Basel Committee’s oversight body.

The Group of Central Bank Governors and Heads of Supervision endorsed a finalized prudential standard on banks’ cryptoassets exposures on Friday.

Not only is this bad and seen as "good for crypto", but imagine how hard they would have to sell if this goes above 1-2% in a bull market? All this will do is make it less and less stable in any concept. Also enables banks to "Whoopsie" overexposure.

ranbo das
Oct 16, 2013

Nessus posted:

You can lose in the first 3 minutes, but it doesn't actually end the game much earlier to do so.

e: game rounds can take up to an hour, though if you start losing it's more like 30 minutes. at 20 minutes IIRC you can vote to surrender, but that's still 17 minutes to verbally abuse a new player.

Even better, if you start losing badly usually the enemy team will avoid ending the game so they can just kill you repeatedly for fun and people on your team will avoid surrendering so they can verbally abuse others for longer and to "punish" their teammates. This can turn a 15 minute loss into 40+ minutes.

You can, of course, leave the game but funnily enough that is the one thing of the above that is reliably punished by the game developer.

Don't play league

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

😌Finally, an avatar the describes my love of tech❤️‍💻, my love of anime💖🎎, and why I'll never see a real girl 🙆‍♀️naked😭.

Nessus posted:

You can lose in the first 3 minutes, but it doesn't actually end the game much earlier to do so.

e: game rounds can take up to an hour, though if you start losing it's more like 30 minutes. at 20 minutes IIRC you can vote to surrender, but that's still 17 minutes to verbally abuse a new player.

You can now vote to surrender before 20, but it has to be unanimous and there are people who will keep you in a losing match out of spite.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Everything I hear about LoL makes me so glad I bounced off of DoTA in the WD3 custom map days and haven't touched MOBAs since.

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

😌Finally, an avatar the describes my love of tech❤️‍💻, my love of anime💖🎎, and why I'll never see a real girl 🙆‍♀️naked😭.

Rotten Red Rod posted:

Everything I hear about LoL makes me so glad I bounced off of DoTA in the WD3 custom map days and haven't touched MOBAs since.

My problem with League and Mobas in general is that when they're fun, they're really fun, but you basically get one unicorn match avoiding stupid assholes out of a week of sundays of playing.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Neito posted:

My problem with League and Mobas in general is that when they're fun, they're really fun, but you basically get one unicorn match avoiding stupid assholes out of a week of sundays of playing.

this is a problem that could be fixed with the blockchain, if they minted an NFT of every game you participated in that players could sell or trade, that way players would be incentivized to keep games as entertaining as possible to maximize the resale value of their time investment

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

the holy poopacy posted:

this is a problem that could be fixed with the blockchain, if they minted an NFT of every game you participated in that players could sell or trade, that way players would be incentivized to keep games as entertaining as possible to maximize the resale value of their time investment

Sounds good, have a pile of money.

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

Family_Guy_Lois_answers_everything_with_9/11_but_it's_blockchain_instead.3gp

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
Todays posting in the GBS bitcoin thread is heavy on the GBS light on the bitcoin.

Lazy Fair
Sep 23, 2019

Scam Likely posted:

Knowing nothing about, am I right in assuming it involves a poo poo ton of loot boxes, gambling mechanics, in game currencies that can be purchased with USD, and monotonous grinding gameplay predicated on feeling digitally superior to other players through gaudy prestige items?

Also assuming its "free" to play, like CS:GO and World of Warships except if you dont cough up cash you're basically chummed krill for the whales.

not really, its more a hyper competitive esport which is largely financed through selling players a new set of $10-15 sailor moon cosmetics every year.

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
FTX founder Bankman-Fried sent back to Bahamas jail in day of courtroom chaos

https://www.cnbc.com/2022/12/19/ftx-founder-bankman-fried-sent-back-to-bahamas-jail-.html

quote:

FTX founder Sam Bankman-Fried was sent back to a Bahamas jail Monday after a reported plan for him to waive his extradition to the U.S. stalled.

Reports over the weekend indicated that Bankman-Fried would consent to extradition, but the former crypto billionaire told a different story Monday, demanding to see a copy of his federal indictment before agreeing to return to the U.S. He will return to Fox Hill jail rather than surrendering himself to U.S. custody.

Bankman-Fried’s legal team signaled that they would fight extradition last week. CNBC and several other outlets reported that Bankman-Fried had changed his mind and would instead submit himself for extradition on Monday.

In open court, chaos reigned. Bankman-Fried, dressed in a blue suit and white button down, was visibly shaking. His Bahamian defense attorney told the court that he was “shocked” that Bankman-Fried was in court.

“I did not request him to be here this morning,” the attorney said. Franklyn Williams KC, the Bahamian prosecutor, said that he “understood that [Bankman-Fried] intended to waive extradition,” according to an NBC News producer present in the courtroom.

The FTX founder arrived at Bahamian court in a convoy of police vehicles, heavily guarded, just after 10 A.M. Eastern Time.

The move comes just days after he was remanded to the medical unit of Bahamas’ notorious Fox Hill prison.

The State Department in a 2020 report called the conditions at Fox Hill Prison “harsh,” citing “overcrowding, poor nutrition, inadequate sanitation, poor ventilation, and inadequate medical care.”

Medical care in particular is spotty at the Bahamian prison, the report said. The former billionaire was transported from one of his several multi-million dollar penthouse homes to the prison last week — though Bankman-Fried was entitled to his own room in the medical wing, Bloomberg reported.

Sam Bankman-Fried faces life in federal prison, without the possibility of supervised release, if convicted on just one of eight offenses that prosecutors have charged him with.

His sentence could be reduced by mitigating factors. Trial lawyers and former prosecutors say that, in practice, many white-collar defendants are given lesser sentences than what the guidelines dictate. So, even in large fraud cases, you can see life sentences drastically reduced.

Chaos Reigns

Oscar Wild
Apr 11, 2006

It's good to be a G
Poor guy.

I mean that in the financial sense.

Cacafuego
Jul 22, 2007

Oscar Wild posted:

Poor guy.

I mean that in the financial sense.

:lmao:

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Zero One posted:

https://www.cnbc.com/2022/12/19/ftx-founder-bankman-fried-sent-back-to-bahamas-jail-.html

Chaos Reigns

my belief is that SBF, sitting in a bahamas prison, realized it was hell and an american prison would probably be (slightly) better

but because he has the memory of a goldfish the instant he was in a suit and outside the prison he forgot that

notwithoutmyanus
Mar 17, 2009
I might have just found (new to me), but long existing forex/crypto tied scam. Of course it ties back to crypto. Analyzing some data before I have a writeup.

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

notwithoutmyanus posted:

I might have just found (new to me), but long existing forex/crypto tied scam. Of course it ties back to crypto. Analyzing some data before I have a writeup.

follow the butts

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
Exclusive video from the Bahamas courtroom today: https://youtu.be/7vN_PEmeKb0

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

evilweasel posted:

my belief is that SBF, sitting in a bahamas prison, realized it was hell and an american prison would probably be (slightly) better

but because he has the memory of a goldfish the instant he was in a suit and outside the prison he forgot that

he applies patches of stimulants to his bare chest lol

not even, like, under the shirt. the shirt is off. the stimulants, on

Desert Bus
May 9, 2004

Take 1 tablet by mouth daily.
I wish him luck getting into a US prison whose doctor won't just laugh at him when he requests his pile of stimulants. Most likely they'll replace them with a SSRI since one of them is prescribed for "depression." Prison doctors don't prescribe a lot of abuse-able stuff, for some strange reason, nor do they have much in the prison pharmacy. I think at best they keep some IM benzos around for seizures and the best they commonly prescribe is Neurontin?

He's gonna go through hellacious WD's when his norepinephrine and dopamine drop like rocks. Prison is a great place to develop long lasting severe depression and fatigue etc.

davecrazy
Nov 25, 2004

I'm an insufferable shitposter who does not deserve to root for such a good team. Also, this is what Matt Harvey thinks of me and my garbage posting.
The visably shaking was more withdrawal then nerves.

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day

davecrazy posted:

it's also a symptom of being a bitchmade rear end buster.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

LifeSunDeath posted:

it's also a symptom of being a bitchmade rear end buster.

I'm a qualified medical doctor of asses and can confirm this to be the case

Desert Bus
May 9, 2004

Take 1 tablet by mouth daily.

davecrazy posted:

There's a video of an interview with him where he is so tweaked out that he is visibly strongly vibrating. There's no way he was sticking to the low "prescribed" doses he claims to be on. Even if they do give him his drugs in jail/prison the doses will be REALLY low compared to what he's most likely used to.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

"i didnt know i wouldnt get a grab bag of stimulants in jail! this was a terrible idea! why did i do all those crimes and host a crimes discord server then ignore my lawyers and admit to all those crimes and then apologize for all those crimes and then fight extradition charges so i could stay in my cushy bahamian prison cell where i poo poo in a bucket and explain crypto to other prisoners! why! im icarus!! i flew too close to the sun with all my embezzlement!! someone take my shirt off i need to get hosed up!"

an iksar marauder
May 6, 2022

An iksar marauder glowers at you dubiously -- looks like quite a gamble.
American prisons are literal hell even the chill ones, dude should have gone for a scandi pad or something

Ups_rail
Dec 8, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
I think SBF might have a drug addiction and maybe thats why he does what he did.

Oscar Wild
Apr 11, 2006

It's good to be a G

an iksar marauder posted:

American prisons are literal hell even the chill ones, dude should have gone for a scandi pad or something

I dunno op. I night have invested in a risk management department or not gotten involved in crypto.

Vampire Panties
Apr 18, 2001
nposter
Nap Ghost
Its also really important to remember that Holmes and Madoff stole money from rich people. SFB stole from idiots coiners.

evilweasel posted:

There is a non-zero chance that someone slipped drugs into his suit, and the second he got his fix he realized that getting extradited may not be the bestest thing

Ups_rail posted:

I think SBF might have a drug addiction and maybe thats why he does what he did.

:haibrow: Gonna be fascinating to read depositions about how they used to have a compliance server, until SFB got tweaked out of his gourd and physically disassembled it

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

ripped all the ram out of his compliance servers to boost his LoL game

didnt leave bronze league

PITY BONER
Oct 18, 2021

Zero One posted:

Chaos Reigns
I'm confused. He said he'd accept extradition but then decided not to? Has he planned an escape in the Bahamas using bribes?

I looked up the Fox Hill prison, which is apparently the only jail in the country.

https://www.foxbusiness.com/economy/bahamas-jail-ftx-sam-bankman-fried-fox-hill-harsh-conditions-report

This place looks grim as gently caress. He'd rather stay here than a white-collar crimes resort jail?

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001
Yeah possible he thinks he might find a way to bribe/lawyer his way out, possible he's just sort of deer in the headlighting.

I mean the bribery thing might even of worked if he wasn't making international headlines.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

If you spent years of your life working around the clock to precision-design a video game to maximise toxicity and turn players into raging psychopaths, you would come out the other side with something maybe half as effective as League of Legends

HolHorsejob
Mar 14, 2020

Portrait of Cheems II of Spain by Jabona Neftman, olo pint on fird

jokes posted:

ripped all the ram out of his compliance servers to boost his LoL game

didnt leave bronze league

this man's lol game is loving iridium double-diamond league. Second to none

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

It really speaks to how much I'd a dumbfuck he is if there isn't like a bill stashed away for bribing his way out of jail and off to some non-extradition country.

Just mindlessly spunking billions of dollars away.

MrUnderbridge
Jun 25, 2011

My sister lived for years in Nassau (not the jail), and from everything she said, the conditions are probably relative to the amount of cash slipped to the staff.

Poor Bahamian busted for theft? poo poo hole jail. Foreigner with tons of money? Much nicer, I'm sure. Still not Atlantis or the Grand Bahama, though.

ellie the beep
Jun 15, 2007

Vaginas, my subject.
Plane hulls, my medium.

MrUnderbridge posted:

My sister lived for years in Nassau (not the jail), and from everything she said, the conditions are probably relative to the amount of cash slipped to the staff.

Poor Bahamian busted for theft? poo poo hole jail. Foreigner with tons of money? Much nicer, I'm sure. Still not Atlantis or the Grand Bahama, though.

yeah i dont remember which article had it but it was revealed that sbf is staying in his own room in the medical area in the prison

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!
How much actual money does he have access to right now, though? Not like it'll be easy to bribe a guard with a promise to give 200 wow gold

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Sentient Data posted:

How much actual money does he have access to right now, though? Not like it'll be easy to bribe a guard with a promise to give 200 wow gold

Mommy and daddy have money.