Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

abelwingnut posted:

i've only ever heard engine x and that's how it looks in my head as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Saukkis
May 16, 2003

Unless I'm on the inside curve pointing straight at oncoming traffic the high beams stay on and I laugh at your puny protest flashes.
I am Most Important Man. Most Important Man in the World.

tuyop posted:

Does anyone pronounce nginx properly in their heads? Like I've definitely never heard anyone say it out loud before but I read it should be "engine-x" but that's nowhere near as satisfying as saying "en-jinx" in my head.

It is always "en-kinkula" as it should be.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)

Aware posted:

The only things I expose are Plex and Overseerr (Plex SSO) via Cloudflare as well and that's for external users. Everything else is just for my access and one other user and this uses Wireguard which is also built in to unraid.

Same here except Tailscale on my pfsense vs Wireguard on unraid.

As long as the service is protected with SSO/2FA, I have no problem exposing it (through an argo tunnel to CF, im not opening up ports aside from Plex). Basic auth is a no go from me, even if it’s HTTPS.

At minimum any other services should be protected with Authelia or Authentik but im not wild about SSO without SAML passthrough to the original app’s auth.

I don’t expose any of my arrs/downloaders because most of the time (even from home) I just use overseer.

Nystral
Feb 6, 2002

Every man likes a pretty girl with him at a skeleton dance.

power crystals posted:

For what it's worth, when I tried both unraid and truenas (scale, specifically) I thought truenas was more intuitive to me because unraid felt too much like it was trying to save me from myself. It's not like truenas has needed me to touch it much since I set it up either and it's been well worth the free.

My only issue with TrueNAS is they expect you to do things a very specific way. You want screen? Learn tmux instead, it’s already there and does what you want. Want to carve out space on your boot array to host docker containers? Not a good idea so not even offered as an option out of the box.

I nuked my TrueNAS install for a basic Ubuntu + cockpit + portainer solution, but I’m growing weary of stuff requiring more care and feeding then I want to give it.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Nystral posted:

My only issue with TrueNAS is they expect you to do things a very specific way. You want screen? Learn tmux instead, it’s already there and does what you want. Want to carve out space on your boot array to host docker containers? Not a good idea so not even offered as an option out of the box.

I nuked my TrueNAS install for a basic Ubuntu + cockpit + portainer solution, but I’m growing weary of stuff requiring more care and feeding then I want to give it.
That's not really an issue with TrueNAS in particular as much as it's an issue with appliance systems in general.

A general OS is always going to be better than an appliance when it comes to customization, no matter what you do - so unless you only ever need what an appliance offers, it's almost always a good idea to go with a general OS instead.

Aware
Nov 18, 2003
Or don't try and do those things on your 'appliance', create a VM with your favourite OS of choice instead on it.

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness
I've gotten a Intel NUC for cheap and I'm wondering if I could use it as a device to run my docker containers (plex, radarr, sonarr etc), that I'm currently running on my Synology DS918+, as it's CPU and local storage are faster. Can I install, for example, unraid on the NUC and use that to run docker and its various containers even if the actual hard disks with the media remain in the NAS? Should I expect to run into issues with such a setup or would that "just work"?

Aware
Nov 18, 2003
Yes it's perfectly fine to run with a single disk if you're basically wanting the docker app store. Grab the trial and give it a go? Worst case you can roll your own later.

Generic Monk
Oct 31, 2011

Nystral posted:

TrueNAS operates in an interesting niche for home users where it's not plug and play and requires a little bit of knowledge/guide following to set up, but it only bends so far when you want really mess around with stuff. I kind of like that; the setup process is a nice learning experience and if you follow the best-practices (which admittedly are kind of hard to piece together for home users if your only source is the forums, it's a bit chinese whispers) you get a really reliable NAS, for cheap, that pretty much just runs itself.

I was very much a beginner with this kind of stuff when I first set mine up like 8 years ago and the fact that it's more or less respectful of your time and has a UI that doesn't abstract away complexities but just makes them easier to hold in your head is really nice. Although I will say that I'm still using the same lil microserver with a sandy bridge core i3 in it, so the possibility space being limited really isn't that big of a deal, I probably can't run a ton of VMs on it even if I wanted.

Level1Techs has a pretty good guide on getting a VM set up to run docker containers on. It's obvious that this isn't really a configuration that iX systems really supports though so I haven't really tried it, in the spirit of minimising grief and avoiding an infinite fractal of computer janitoring.

fletcher
Jun 27, 2003

ken park is my favorite movie

Cybernetic Crumb
I wish there was an easy way to backup/archive text, videos, and images from all the various chat apps (signal, whatsapp, discord, instagram, sms, etc etc)

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

fletcher posted:

I wish there was an easy way to backup/archive text, videos, and images from all the various chat apps (signal, whatsapp, discord, instagram, sms, etc etc)

A million years ago is why I used to love Trillian. One chat client for everything that was used at the time. I still have the logs from like 8 years of AIM/IRC/Y! etc... Otherwise only thing I can say is I use tyrrrz/discordchatexporter:stable on a per channel base, but even then that's not pulling video or images. I think you'd be looking at a hacked together solution, like if you take the output of that discord exporter, and play around with the flags of:
wget --recursive --page-requisites --html-extension=on --convert-links="on" --domains="www.thesite.com" --no-parent http://www.thesite.com -F -i <html_file> --output-file <new_html_file>

it may correctly read that and suck in all of the images/mp4s, but that wouldn't do things like pull embeded youtube videos.

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

fletcher posted:

I'm sure somebody has this :nsa:

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

Incessant Excess posted:

I've gotten a Intel NUC for cheap and I'm wondering if I could use it as a device to run my docker containers (plex, radarr, sonarr etc), that I'm currently running on my Synology DS918+, as it's CPU and local storage are faster. Can I install, for example, unraid on the NUC and use that to run docker and its various containers even if the actual hard disks with the media remain in the NAS? Should I expect to run into issues with such a setup or would that "just work"?

should mostly just work, you’ll have to add the unassigned devices plugin to mount the synology

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Clark Nova posted:

I'm sure somebody has this :nsa:
The problem with NSAs backups is that they're fiendishly difficult to access.

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

I run truenas in a VM. I have a docker VM and dev VM alongside, all on same proxmox hypervisor. It should work well as long as it doesn't break down. In theory at least data won't get lost since truenas handles the HDD 's directly, and I have a backup of truenas configs.

Tamba
Apr 5, 2010

Nystral posted:

Give OpenMediaVault a try, it's Debian with a very FreeNAS like webUI on top (because it was literally made by a former FreeNAS developer)

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

BlankSystemDaemon posted:

The problem with NSAs backups is that they're fiendishly difficult to access.

Just need to make a FOI request

Dyscrasia
Jun 23, 2003
Give Me Hamms Premium Draft or Give Me DEATH!!!!

Tamba posted:

Give OpenMediaVault a try, it's Debian with a very FreeNAS like webUI on top (because it was literally made by a former FreeNAS developer)

I was about to mention omv too. I've been testing it on an old laptop with USB drive. The ui protects you from bad decisions, but you can drop to cli and modify it. I used cli to make that USB drive zfs formatted (this is a test, not actual use). Then omv recognized it. Docker can be built out easily via ui, it installs portainer

Im liking it as a compromise between appliance and base Linux os.

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

Ihmemies posted:

I run truenas in a VM. I have a docker VM and dev VM alongside, all on same proxmox hypervisor. It should work well as long as it doesn't break down. In theory at least data won't get lost since truenas handles the HDD 's directly, and I have a backup of truenas configs.

Similar over here.

TrueNAS Core VM running on whitebox hardware. ESXi 7.0 hypervisor.

LSI controller passed through to the TrueNAS VM.

Zero issues.

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

Speaking of TrueNAS, I have a kerberos question that's kind of also a windows server question:

At work, I have
- ActiveDirectory, running on some windows server version that's at the tail end of its support window
- Limited admin rights in one OU in active directory - I can create and modify users and computers within there
- A file server running TrueNAS Core
- A couple of FreeBSD clients using NFS, maybe a linux one in the future
- A bunch of windows and mac users over samba
- A vague surface-level understanding of kerberos

Right now, I'm using kerberos for authentication and ldap for user info, and RFC 2307 info in AD to map the same user to the same UID everywhere. The NFS is version 3, on a separate network.

I'm slowly replacing the old fileserver with a new one, and I'd like to move up to kerberized NFSv4 while I'm at it. However, it seems like I need to generate and export a keytab for the nfs/host@DOMAIN SPN as a domain admin, in a command line on one of the domain controllers. It's exceedingly unlikely that I can get IT to generate one for me; the entire network I'm working within is in a limbo state of "not supported, but we don't have any good alternatives to offer". And I'm absolutely not going to get the privileges to do it myself.

I have more or less resigned myself to sticking to the "NFS 3 on a separate network" solution we use today - but I'm not sure that I've understood this correctly.
So, basically: Is there actually a way to set up NFSv4/krb5 with AD as the kerberos solution without domain admin rights?

(If not, that's kind of annoying - I can get usernames instead of uid on the wire, ACL support, and encrypted transfers over samba as is. I get that kerberos works differently for good reasons, but ugh.)

Computer viking fucked around with this message at 13:29 on Dec 16, 2022

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!

Generic Monk posted:

TrueNAS operates in an interesting niche for home users where it's not plug and play and requires a little bit of knowledge/guide following to set up, but it only bends so far when you want really mess around with stuff. I kind of like that; the setup process is a nice learning experience and if you follow the best-practices (which admittedly are kind of hard to piece together for home users if your only source is the forums, it's a bit chinese whispers) you get a really reliable NAS, for cheap, that pretty much just runs itself.
Eh, you can make TrueNAS do plenty of side things. You just need to create a post-update script that sets up your stuff, because TrueNAS assumes the boot image to be immutable. Every update your poo poo is gone until you set it back up, or run a script to do so.

Generic Monk
Oct 31, 2011

Combat Pretzel posted:

Eh, you can make TrueNAS do plenty of side things. You just need to create a post-update script that sets up your stuff, because TrueNAS assumes the boot image to be immutable. Every update your poo poo is gone until you set it back up, or run a script to do so.

yeah i did this with wireguard and it works fine but i can’t be hosed with making a regular thing out of it

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

You can also just setup FreeBSD and do things that way. :sun:

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

Generic Monk posted:

yeah i did this with wireguard and it works fine but i can’t be hosed with making a regular thing out of it
You probably have to keep doing it. The Wireguard support listed in the Bluefin release notes seems to be implemented with one of the loving Kubernetes apps.

Generic Monk
Oct 31, 2011

Combat Pretzel posted:

You probably have to keep doing it. The Wireguard support listed in the Bluefin release notes seems to be implemented with one of the loving Kubernetes apps.

wireguard is built into truenas/freebsd iirc, you just have to set one of the flags to enable it. the config has to be copied over to one of the protected directories by a script on boot, at least that’s what the guide i followed had me do

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

Oh, I somehow thought TrueNAS Core had actual support for it in the UI. Looking up the documentation, it's just messing about with setting up tunables and init scripts in the UI.

Also, every boot? If it's the same dumb poo poo as on SCALE, which overwrites wg0.conf every drat boot, just use wg1 as interface instead. The wg0 thing is hardcoded, from what I've seen.

Nulldevice
Jun 17, 2006
Toilet Rascal
If it is what I think it is, the wireguard default config on TrueNAS Core/Scale is for interfacing with Truecommand's cloud. I tried it out before when I was running a fleet of machines to see if it was worth running and it was a big pain in the dick. If a wireguard IP somehow changed (system loses connection to the cloud) it's treated as a new machine and the original hangs around as a ghost. The docker implementation works much better on a local LAN and doesn't require wireguard.

Talorat
Sep 18, 2007

Hahaha! Aw come on, I can't tell you everything right away! That would make for a boring story, don't you think?

Volguus posted:

The thing is ... all of these programs have bugs. All of them have vulnerabilities. Sometimes a vulnerability is discovered by a good guy and a patch is released. Sometimes (most of the time) whoever finds it, shuts up and exploits it.
It's not the bugs and vulnerabilities that you know of that should be keeping you up at night, it's the ones you don't know of that are the problem.

But, like you said, you do you. If that convenience is that important to you, then ... have at it. Also, they seem to be running in containers. That's just a fancy chroot, a level above just running on the host, but not by much. A VM would be quite a bit better than that at isolating a service in its own world (still with access to the network, but ... oh well).

Case in point, I had my deluge web client exposed to the internet in the past, and one day I found someone had used an exploit to install a malicious extension on it. The web client interface had a password on it, but the exploit bypassed it.

https://forum.deluge-torrent.org/viewtopic.php?t=54522

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit
if you’re already the type to be running a whole rear end-NAS, adding another little celeron box for a pfsense/opnsense firewall would be a breeze, that makes running a VPN a piece of cake

Scruff McGruff
Feb 13, 2007

Jesus, kid, you're almost a detective. All you need now is a gun, a gut, and three ex-wives.
If you run a Unifi gateway, Network v7.3 is supposed to have Wireguard built in too, so hopefully that'll be out of beta soon.

https://thevocalvixen.com/2022/11/30/unifi-network-7-3-with-wireguard-vpn-setup-and-more/

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.

e.pilot posted:

if you’re already the type to be running a whole rear end-NAS, adding another little celeron box for a pfsense/opnsense firewall would be a breeze, that makes running a VPN a piece of cake

Why not stick that in a VM on the NAS?

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

Here's for a dumb question, that came up perusing my AppData directory on my Windows machine. It has this Roaming directory, which I assume is what gets synced with a domain server? TrueNAS has an ActiveDirectory via Samba. If I were to use TrueNAS as domain server and hook my desktop up to it, folders like My Documents et al would get automagically backed up to the NAS?

--edit: Seems they've axed the domain controller feature.

Combat Pretzel fucked around with this message at 13:03 on Dec 20, 2022

Saukkis
May 16, 2003

Unless I'm on the inside curve pointing straight at oncoming traffic the high beams stay on and I laugh at your puny protest flashes.
I am Most Important Man. Most Important Man in the World.
You found an answer, but generally roaming profile is problematic enough and bad for backing up, that you wouldn't want to use it for backups alone.

I've been using them at work for two decades. The purpose is syncing between computers. You use roaming profile if you want to be able to log in to a random computer and have your profile follow you.

Biggest problem is that sync/backup only happens when you log out and the profile server is available. Not all software use the roaming folder, so you may need backups anyway. Or they use it for stuff that isn't worth syncing.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

I've had more problems the other way around, with %user%\App Data\Roaming\ being full of files that belong in %user%\App Data\Local\ while configuration files that I'd want synced are in the latter.

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

priznat posted:

Why not stick that in a VM on the NAS?

that’s an option too, but I like to be able to dick around on the NAS without loving the whole network, my wife would not approve

H2SO4
Sep 11, 2001

put your money in a log cabin

Buglord
I promise you that setting up a domain for a couple home PCs will end in tears. If you implement actual roaming profiles on non-standardized environments then you'll end up jumping off the nearest bridge.

If you want MyDocs/Downloads/etc to be synced or mapped to a NAS share then that's totally possible without having to add in full blown domain services. Depending on the NAS you're using it may have a builtin Google Drive style file sync app that does all the hard work for you.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.

e.pilot posted:

that’s an option too, but I like to be able to dick around on the NAS without loving the whole network, my wife would not approve

True indeed, I was wondering if there is a technical reason but that is a solid one as well.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Doug Rabson made it so that a single file can be nullfs mounted into a jail.

I don't know why I never thought that was an option, but it's gonna mean I can get rid of my NIS configuration because the only use I have for it nowadays is sharing uids/gids between jails.

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

I'm still thinking about reviving my idea of an NSS plugin and corresponding daemon that just forwards all NSS requests over an IP connection - so you can set up a jail to exactly mirror the effective users/groups of the host, for instance.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness

Incessant Excess posted:

I've gotten a Intel NUC for cheap

They cancelled my order so now I'm considering putting my own unRAID system together and am wondering if there's any oversights here:

1 x GIGABYTE B660M DS3H DDR4
-cheapest socket 1700 board with 2.5gb rj45 i could find
1 x Intel Core i3-12100T, 4C/8T, 2.20-4.10GHz, tray (CM8071504651106)
-cheapest alder lake quad core with an iGPU, went with the -T over the cheaper non -T in hopes of lower power consumption
1 x be quiet! Pure Rock Slim 2 (BK030)
-cpu doesnt come with a cooler and this one is cheap and has decent reviews
1 x Cooler Master V-Series V550 Gold V2 White Edition 550W ATX 2.52 (MPY-550V-AGBAG)
-cheapest fully modular, semi-passive PSU with a 10 year warranty i could find
2 x G.Skill Aegis DIMM 16GB, DDR4-2666, CL19-19-19-43 (F4-2666C19D-32GIS)
-less than 5 euros more than the same brand 2333 kit, which was the cheapest kit of 32GB ram i could find
1 x Fractal Design Define R5 Black (FD-CA-DEF-R5-BK)
-supports 8 hdd bays with reasonable good looks
1 x KIOXIA EXCERIA G2 SSD 1TB, M.2 (LRC20Z001TG8)
-cheapest pcie m.2 drive with d-ram cache and 5 year warranty i could find
1 x Dell H310 SAS SATA HBA | LSI 9211-8i IT-mode (refurbished)
-card to get 8 sata ports, LSI stuff is more reliable than no name stuff on amazon from my (limited) understanding
8 x 3.5 inch HDDs (4x WD Red 10tb, 2x Seagate Exos 16tb, 2x Toshiba MG08 16tb)
-unRaid will allow me to use all of that with only one of the largest drives set aside for parity (unlike raid5 for example)

I wanna run a plex server and feed it with various arrs, all in docker containers. Am I looking at any issues with this system or should it at least in theory be smooth sailing? I don't really know much about PCs outside of windows and my prebuilt NAS which this system is meant to replace, but I've picked up a little bit of CLI stuff playing around with my NAS.