Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

Antivehicular posted:

... jewelry also drops much more readily than left-side gear...

Especially if you're trying to collect a level cap dungeon set :argh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ColdIronsBound
Nov 4, 2008
Suggestions/recommendations for setting up different hotbar gamepad layouts for 2 different jobs?

The plan is that I have Paladin and Gunbreaker, and when I swap jobs my hotbars swap automatically to the other setup I have.

I presume it's simple enough/possible but the interface is quite (very?) confusing

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

I don't understand the question, I think. Your non-shared hotbars will automatically change when you swap jobs.

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
Yeah, the problem is mostly making sure your layouts are similar enough that muscle memory holds well enough when you swap between jobs in the same role. For instance, after watching a Sage guide, I realized I need to adjust things so the things that are basically SCH reskins are in the same place as on my SCH chotbars.

Relyssa
Jul 29, 2012

I'd like to once again shill this hotbar preset - https://www.nexusmods.com/finalfantasy14/mods/1054 - Has both controller and keyboard layouts and the creator made sure things are always in the same spots for each job. It drastically simplified things for me since my hotbars would've been a hideous mess otherwise.

derra
Dec 29, 2012

ColdIronsBound posted:

Suggestions/recommendations for setting up different hotbar gamepad layouts for 2 different jobs?

The plan is that I have Paladin and Gunbreaker, and when I swap jobs my hotbars swap automatically to the other setup I have.

I presume it's simple enough/possible but the interface is quite (very?) confusing

Yeah, the only thing I can think of is that all your chotbars are checked shared? If they aren't shared they will swap so you can have unique setups for each role.

If you're talking about setup, for the role actions you can use a /chotbar copy Job1 Hotbar# Job2 Hotbar# (and this is useful for, say, the Gladiator->Paladin setup, since technically Gladiator and Paladin have their own bars as well). (example -> /chotbar copy GLD 1 PLD 1 will copy your first Gladiator's chotbar to your paladin so you don't have to manually set them up). The role actions are shared and can be copied, and you can use this to give a rough example of where things were on PLD so you can put the GNB equivalent in the spot, but you'll have to do that manually since the abilities are unique to the classes.

LuckyCat
Jul 26, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Been years since I played, but, can I roll and progress in the game just using gathering and crafting classes? I know there are content, quests, and instances just for crafting but is it viable if I don't necessarily want to do combat?

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

LuckyCat posted:

Been years since I played, but, can I roll and progress in the game just using gathering and crafting classes? I know there are content, quests, and instances just for crafting but is it viable if I don't necessarily want to do combat?

Not since 1.0, no. Things changed dramatically with the release of ARR to be more of a conventional mmo

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

LuckyCat posted:

No, the plot requires you to start as and advance in at least one combat class. You don't have to ever pick up more than one if you don't want to, though.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

There are rewards for leveling everything though, mostly crowns, but there is one mount for leveling every combat class to Shadowbringers maximum (80).

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

You also miss out on a huge amount of story by not leveling jobs. Each job has its own story (which range from very good to very bad) up to level 70 (+an 80 quest) and then Shadowbringers and Endwalker have very good role quests that you'd need at least one tank, healer, etc to experience.

LuckyCat
Jul 26, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Christ I forgot how horrible the install and log in experience is. I googled FFXIV download and it took 75 minutes to download and install. Then, I get an error message which crashes when I hit Play. The error message is in Japanese. I google "FFXIV japanese error message" and find some instructions that might fix it. I do the fix, and now the launcher says I am not allowed to use a Standard subscription account with the free trial version. So, I google "FFXIV launcher" and find the one not for free trial. I click install, and it says "Are you sure you want to Uninstall FFXIV?" so now I have to spend another 2 hours downloading the exact same game because reasons.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
What's the general gist to quickly leveling the gathering jobs

Is that Heavensward place the way to go?

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

I just use leves, you get a hundred and you probably won't use all of them leveling one job. You can use the diadem, but you can't enter it right away so you'll have to grind away or use turn ins or leves.

Xerophyte
Mar 17, 2008

This space intentionally left blank

Shinjobi posted:

If you want minimal time investment, do Grand Company HQ turn-ins every day. You do not have to gather items yourself, buying them on the market counts.

If you want max level as soon as possible, do levequests.

If you also want to level crafters and like checkmarks, just complete the gathering log while doing extra loops around ores, logs, and other common ingredients (that aren't already cheap on NPC vendors).

Like Clockwork
Feb 17, 2012

It's only the Final Battle once all the players are ready.

The checkmarks method is also good for listening to podcasts while getting your hellgrind in. :eng101:

Trash Ops
Jun 19, 2012

im having fun, isnt everyone else?

ocean fishing is incredibly efficient and even more so once you have patience 1/2

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

LuckyCat posted:

Christ I forgot how horrible the install and log in experience is. I googled FFXIV download and it took 75 minutes to download and install. Then, I get an error message which crashes when I hit Play. The error message is in Japanese. I google "FFXIV japanese error message" and find some instructions that might fix it. I do the fix, and now the launcher says I am not allowed to use a Standard subscription account with the free trial version. So, I google "FFXIV launcher" and find the one not for free trial. I click install, and it says "Are you sure you want to Uninstall FFXIV?" so now I have to spend another 2 hours downloading the exact same game because reasons.

You might have better luck with the third party launcher XIV Launcher.

https://laillearda.com/xivlauncher

Saxophone
Sep 19, 2006

So uh, I may or may not have obtained a steam deck for Christmas. I already own everything up to current on PS5 but the idea of MMO I’m not glued to a TV for is appealing. Or even MMO I could sit on the couch and play with someone.

How is FF14 on steam deck?

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

I don't have a steam deck but the word on like Reddit and such is that it runs fine and controls well after you configure it.

Quarterroys
Jul 1, 2008

I had never played FFXIV before like a month ago, and am playing a free trial solely on the Deck.

Plays great imo, though i’m only level 37 and can’t speak to high level content.

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

<click> <click> What is it with this dancing?! Bouncing around like fools... I would have thought my own kind at least would understand the seriousness of our Adventurer's Guild!

Deck XIV is great, would highly recommend. It's not a hard process to do, but similar to going to a new computer you need to save your character and system settings in the login screen before transferring them to the deck's account. Then you'll probably want to tweak it to look and run good specifically on the hardware in the settings, eventually.

Bobfly
Apr 22, 2007
EGADS!
I play more on my steam deck than on my desktop, these days. I do slightly worse, but everything I've run on it has gone fine. That means up to trials, expert roulette and alliance raids, so not really challenging content. But still. It feels really good to play on.
I've bound one of the dorsal buttons to remove the ui, that's really nice for cruising around and relaxing.

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I'm just trying to go through life without looking stupid.

It's not working out too well...
So I haven't been playing FF14 much, and I'm thinking about cancelling my subscription for now.

Is there anything I need to do in particular if I want to go about cancelling my sub? I pay for the subscription using my credit card, and yesterday I got a notification for the bill. I set up the payment for it to go out tomorrow. On MogStation, it says that my 'Next Estimated Date of Billing' is Jan. 27, 2023, and the 'End Date' is Jan. 26, 2023.

I'm not worried about getting billed again for next month. I just want to make sure I can cancel the sub without doing something wrong, and it results in my FF14 account getting banned.

EDIT: I thought to actually do a search, and I guess you just go to MogStation and 'Service Account Status' and click 'Cancel Subscription'.

I also got an email from Square Enix saying my payment was confirmed today, so my guess is that if I cancel now, I can still play until the end of January.

Max Wilco fucked around with this message at 01:21 on Dec 29, 2022

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Yeah if you cancel you can still play out the rest of your paid time.

SuperKlaus
Oct 20, 2005

Fun Shoe
Every month I've bought I've done one at a time and immediately canceled sub after buying. They aren't gonna hit me for any accidental payments, no sir.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

SuperKlaus posted:

Every month I've bought I've done one at a time and immediately canceled sub after buying. They aren't gonna hit me for any accidental payments, no sir.

I've been playing this game for 10 years and I've done the exact same thing by only doing 30-day Steam plans. Even if I'm confident I'm gonna keep playing, I've burned myself a few too many times before leaving subscriptions out to rot in the sun and cost me a couple nice meals worth of cash.

SuperKlaus
Oct 20, 2005

Fun Shoe
Right on, right on. The pause to resub has allowed me to avoid paying for time prior to weeks away from the computer two or three times now. Highly recommend to everyone to pinch them pennies.

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug

Shinjobi posted:

Is that Heavensward place the way to go?

Imo the heavensward place is the most brain off way to level gatherers. If you just wanna watch a Netflix show or a 5 hour YouTube video essay or something while doing muscle memory grinding, it's the best way to go. Don't think it's as fast as doing the higher-effort methods, though.

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

<click> <click> What is it with this dancing?! Bouncing around like fools... I would have thought my own kind at least would understand the seriousness of our Adventurer's Guild!

Vermain posted:

I've been playing this game for 10 years and I've done the exact same thing by only doing 30-day Steam plans. Even if I'm confident I'm gonna keep playing, I've burned myself a few too many times before leaving subscriptions out to rot in the sun and cost me a couple nice meals worth of cash.

I pay with their propriety currency Crysta, so if I don't have any in my account it cancels on its own. Easy.

Loops
Oct 20, 2011

I originally took to this game so much because the community events are unlike anything else. I have to vent about this though because I've been at quite a few of those "twitch dj + ingame club" parties by now, they can be fun, but I'm honestly shocked by how unabashedly corrupt the event organisers are and how no one apparently minds?
Any kinds of contests and giveaways are usually won by staff in my experience, of course /random based giveaways can't be rigged but stuff like glam contests or "first x people to trade me" or other things you can't verify are unfailingly "won" by staff, organisers and even the venue owners (if you're lucky it'll be an owner of an affiliate club winning).
For example, I was at a high-ticket glam contest yesterday which was advertised for days and had incredible turnout because of the high (150mil+) prizes. The first prize was "won" by the owner of the community who organised the event :what: and most of the other prizes went to staff, including the event photographer. It wasn't a public vote, the photographer just announced the winners including herself.
It just seems like tons of people show up to these things expecting a contest and instead get a rigged game that outsiders have no chance of winning. It's frustrating, and no one calls it out.

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?
Art imitates life. Sad to hear that, but yeah you don't keep your amazing resources by actually giving them away. And here, look at all these people who attended and waited for the contest to start, which of course is X hours into run time, hmmm. Surprised entry isn't open only to people who subscribe on Twitch or something. :haw: I 100% agree with you that any event organizer worth their salt can't enter their own events!

FWIW I've been to several fun community run venues and they've earnestly given out their prizes by the mercy of RNG. Betting on roll fights, pooling gil to reward the winner of a three month season of fights, costume contests that weren't decided by cliques. I guess if you see "twitch + DJ" or anything too professional you should be wary, but close knit long time community running the same event for years with a small discord where everybody shares memes and screenshots is the real deal.

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

Loops posted:

I originally took to this game so much because the community events are unlike anything else. I have to vent about this though because I've been at quite a few of those "twitch dj + ingame club" parties by now, they can be fun, but I'm honestly shocked by how unabashedly corrupt the event organisers are and how no one apparently minds?
Any kinds of contests and giveaways are usually won by staff in my experience, of course /random based giveaways can't be rigged but stuff like glam contests or "first x people to trade me" or other things you can't verify are unfailingly "won" by staff, organisers and even the venue owners (if you're lucky it'll be an owner of an affiliate club winning).
For example, I was at a high-ticket glam contest yesterday which was advertised for days and had incredible turnout because of the high (150mil+) prizes. The first prize was "won" by the owner of the community who organised the event :what: and most of the other prizes went to staff, including the event photographer. It wasn't a public vote, the photographer just announced the winners including herself.
It just seems like tons of people show up to these things expecting a contest and instead get a rigged game that outsiders have no chance of winning. It's frustrating, and no one calls it out.

I'll give you free things if you want :shobon:

Loops
Oct 20, 2011

Kite Pride Worldwide posted:

I'll give you free things if you want :shobon:

Thank you for the kind offer :sweatdrop: I'm not exactly new though, just at the end of Shadowbringers and hoping to save up enough gil for a house when the new wards are released.

Uganda Loves Me
May 24, 2002

Just did my first ever raid. I tanked as a paladin. Luckily we had someone in the alliance who directed everyone. I told my party I hadn't tanked a raid before and their response was something along the lines of "click the enemies and attack :)" lol

It was Labyrinth of the Ancients. My party died once. I think another party wasn't standing on their square. Kinda stressful. We won, though.

I thought I was about to reach Heavensward after finishing the original ARR main quest. Oh boy. I have all of the crafting classes in the mid-60s, my harvesting classes are 70+, and I'm still doing level 50 content. I miss crafting stuff with ingredients I harvested myself. I still make level 50ish gear with stuff I harvested to sell, though. I think I'm doing ok with the market board. I have enough to bid on a small plot, and may have enough to bid on a medium plot soon.

Maximum Tomfoolery
Apr 12, 2010

The only thing you need to know about tanking Alliance (24 man) Raids is that some of them occasionally have fights where there's three big targets that need to be kept apart. It's generally assumed that the tank in group A gets the one of the left (relative to the entrance to the fight), B gets middle, C gets right. People are pretty chill in this game in general, but if they're yelling at a tank in an Alliance Raid, this is usually why. Outside of this, you can usually just turn your tank stance off and be blue dps for the whole duty.

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.
Tanking is far and away the easiest role in the game, particularly in raids, so don't stress too much about doing things wrong. Don't point the boss at the party and don't try to steal aggro from other tanks and you'll be fine. It can be worth taking a quick gander at an online guide, especially once you start doing normal raids in Heavensward, but you can also just bumblefuck your way through. Telling the group you're new was the correct call.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

TANK GUIDE

10 Activate taunt
20 Point dangerous thing away from party
30 Kill it before it kills you
40 GOTO 10

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

think you just turned off your tank stance better check that code

Adbot