Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SpeedFreek
Jan 10, 2008
And Im Lobster Jesus!
I'm waiting to see how he pulls this engine without a good sized tree nearby, I don't see any engine hoist.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fondue
Jul 14, 2002

What absolute madness! This thread just gives and gives, I hope it works out all right for you two!

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

SpeedFreek posted:

I'm waiting to see how he pulls this engine without a good sized tree nearby, I don't see any engine hoist.

isnt that what the "1 of 2" and "2 of 2" boxes in the uhaul are?

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках
I'd hope so, otherwise CSB has become even more terrifying if he can hulk up and hoist that engine into the pickup that neatly by hand.

tinned owl
Oct 5, 2021
Undo bolts, remove grill, accelerate then hard stop.

UCS Hellmaker
Mar 29, 2008
Toilet Rascal
Tbh buy an ambulance pass through, drat things are built tougher then rvs and have a pretty powerful power system.

The city ems uses frieghtliner front ends and by god there's so much room in those fuckers, before you consider the storage outside

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe

DJ Commie posted:

Hell, if you ever lose enough marbles to actually try, I'm in to help. I've been horrified by RV and overland stuff for too long and would love to take a crack at doing it right, especially since anything below EarthRoamers are just Wish LED-encrusted 70s mobile homes on an underbuilt chassis.

Got a working prototype, so far its doing better than the truck not that it's saying much.
The whole 1970s poo poo and build quality needs a revolution. It won't happen till people demand something better. They still use transformer converters for the 12V supply!
And oh boy! a 100W solar panel.
Everything about these is so incredibly wasteful right down to resources.
This is getting into a future post though because energy management is something I'm very interested in doing. I want to build these with the ability to capture waste energy like heat and use it.

Rotten posted:

Not to derail this amazing thread, but are the tiger campers that are built with a pass through to the cab any good?

No idea. Integrated trucks like this have been an outlier in years past and are gaining popularity. Especially in the super C style.
Given that they're a smaller outfit. They're probably a lot better built than anything being shat out of Elkhart.

DIY Ambos rule. Do go for one with headroom unless you like back problems. I've almost bought one 2-3 times now. They're generally built right structurally and have the right electrical system for doing ridiculously dumb builds with.

Liquid Communism posted:

I'd hope so, otherwise CSB has become even more terrifying if he can hulk up and hoist that engine into the pickup that neatly by hand.

I could walk vw diesels around by hand. I'm not so sure I wanna do that with a 1300lb anvil that makes heat and noise. I'll give it a go next time though.

tinned owl posted:

Undo bolts, remove grill, accelerate then hard stop.

Small spoiler: They built the loving engine in one plant. Then sent it to another and wrapped the loving truck around it. Like one of those heat shrink wraps you get on a jar that just won't. come. off.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.

tinned owl posted:

Undo bolts, remove grill, accelerate

It's a 7.3 IDI with one or more cracked pistons, imma stop you right there. Cannot comply.

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

kastein posted:

It's a 7.3 IDI with one or more cracked pistons, imma stop you right there. Cannot comply.

Push it to the top of a hill...

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Fun Shoe
Step one in any engine swap is find a big heckin tree to pull off of.

If there's no tree. Then build a tree.
Enter the Harbor Freight busted 7.3 puller 2000. Guaranteed to test every forgotten ground strap's maximum weight capacity.

Intake, belts, alternator and vacuum pump out. Of course apply the BFH when needed. Power Assist Steering pump removed and sat over to the side while still connected.

Drain the fluids now or it'll drain itself when hanging four feet off of the ground. Check out the swarf on the plug magnet.

Drain the coolant. Remove the hoses, fan, and radiator. The radiator has four cores and it's about the size of a barn door. It weighs about what the barn does. I do not want it damaged.

Guy staying in a 90s Dodge B series extended van walks over to give us kudos and that we're crazy for undertaking such a project. He hopes that we can finish it. Not an if my dude, when.
I should also say it's going to snow tomorrow.

Crane in position.

Obligatory gently caress You Truck.

The owner of the fine Uhaul establishment wanders by. Nods. No words. gently caress yeah.

Careful, careful.

Oh lawd he comin. That is 1300lb ish of engine at maximum extension ready to inflict maximum collateral damage.

The hole in which it left. I usually take this moment to power wash the engine bay down. I do not have this luxury today.

LUNCH. OF. CHAMPIONS. Or idiots. Whatever. You decide.

Now we transfer parts and build up the new engine to go in. The turbo, exhaust systems, valve covers, engine bracketry, etc all need to be transferred over. One of the motor mounts is trashed. Replacing it.
This burns the clock like hell.

I will not rush through this phase as this is the only time some of this can be done.

It is now late. The trucks new engine is ready for stabbing. Fully wrapped all of the hot side plumbing. It looks loving gorgeous.

Engine dropped in.

Three and a half hours to get the engine and transmission mated. The panhard mount keeps striking the oil pan and preventing successful mating between the two assemblies. The motor mounts are in the way.
The engine crane couldn't reach far enough back. Pull the bolt. Extend arm. Insert bolt on outside of the gray lift arm. Sketchy. Works only when horizontal or higher. Lower will dump the engine, but that's ok, it's almost home.
Cue a combination of going full gorilla on the engine, while using my drum brake adjuster wedged between the panhard mount and the oil pan, and sheer drat rage to get the two major assemblies connected.

While under, the truck tries to take out my eye with a motor mount bolt.
I wasn't wearing my glasses.

The onsie is pro for doing repairs whever it breaks. Nobody questions a thing.

The motormounts won't drop into the adapter bracket. One will bolt up. The other won't. It just refuses. One will. The other won't. There's no other combo. Try one, then the other, then the other again. gently caress you truck. gently caress you. They drop the frame. Then the powertrain. Then the truck around it. When the engine wears out, the rest of the truck is well beyond worn out and the whole thing gets thrown out. I'm a moron and rebuilt the truck around a bad engine.
It's around 1.6 degrees Celsius/35 degrees Fahrtenheit and the three liters of coffee is beginning to wear off.

Left:
* Motormounts
* Acessory drive (PAS, Alternator)
* Electrical interconnections (pump, alternator, sensors, ground cables, starter cables, etc)
* Cooling system install and bleed
* intake reassembly

End Saturday. 13.5 hours.

tinned owl
Oct 5, 2021

cursedshitbox posted:

Small spoiler: They built the loving engine in one plant. Then sent it to another and wrapped the loving truck around it. Like one of those heat shrink wraps you get on a jar that just won't. come. off.

ShrinkyDionkey

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

cursedshitbox posted:

Fully wrapped all of the hot side plumbing. It looks loving gorgeous.

Yes, yes it does.

Why did you end up picking this spot to do the work instead of this one?

cursedshitbox posted:

While under, the truck tries to take out my eye with a motor mount bolt.
I wasn't wearing my glasses.

Look at those wrenches laid out perfectly like some kind of psychopath surgeon.

And these are my favorite eye pro, but they can fog up if you get really sweaty because things just aren't loving working.

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

I have pulled engines & drivetrains in hot weather, cold weather & inclement.

I have used the sketchy PGH HF engine hoist. Kept waiting for a weld to blow.

I have honed, re-rung & replaced lower bearings in sub-zero weather with a kero heater keeping (only) my feet toasty.

But I have never tried to do all of this at once at the side of the road in Randoville. Never with a pigbeast of an engine.

My hat is off to you both, sirs.

drat.

SpeedFreek
Jan 10, 2008
And Im Lobster Jesus!

cursedshitbox posted:

Guy staying in a 90s Dodge B series extended van walks over to give us kudos and that we're crazy for undertaking such a project. He hopes that we can finish it. Not an if my dude, when.
I should also say it's going to snow tomorrow.

Nothing like a little weather related motivation to help out.

e: I picked up my hoist from Farm and Fleet, looks exactly like the hf one but I feel like it's less sketchy for no good reason.

honda whisperer
Mar 29, 2009

I was getting stressed out at work today and reading this has given perspective on that.

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

PainterofCrap posted:

I have honed, re-rung & replaced lower bearings in sub-zero weather with a kero heater keeping (only) my feet toasty.

But I have never tried to do all of this at once at the side of the road in Randoville. Never with a pigbeast of an engine.

drat.

Yeah, this is just absurd.

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

Rotten posted:

Not to derail this amazing thread, but are the tiger campers that are built with a pass through to the cab any good?

I'd not heard of this and was intrigued. $110K + the chassis cost. Got drat.

e: I know that "it's not a fifth wheel" is part of the appeal but boy you can get a decent fifth wheel for that.

CarForumPoster fucked around with this message at 08:27 on Dec 17, 2022

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Fun Shoe
5th wheels especially the toy haulers are the Nissan Altima 2.5L of the rving world. It is not a compliment.

The integrated unit affords a more select choice in camping spots for the most envy inducing instagram photos. It's also a lot easier to drive than a 40' 5er and doesn't require a one hundred thousand dollar F450 to pull it. No F250 is under maximum weight pulling one of those in the 36-45' length range. Full stop.
Basically the 5er and the pickup buys a Winnie Revel or one of these where you bring em a chassis and they sort the rest.

If I were to go out and do builds. I'd source the truck. Baseline and build it up so that it's acceptable for conversion, then mate it with an in house built unit that's mostly prefabricated components built by machine and bolted together by a human. I can build/buy the machines for all this. I can't automate the last mile where it all comes together. Humans just have the touch that robots don't. There's now a couple of small outfits that build the basic box from insulated panels like used in refrigerated trucks. This further reduces spinup time and costs leaving just the interior of the habitat.

They would likely not be under $300 thou per unit sadly, which is where I tap the brakes on the whole idea. It's a well fleshed market. I am unsure if there's a market for someone that cares about energy efficiency that much to go out and drop that kind of dough and not have an instantly recognizable name in their IG shots. But someone that wants to stay in a rude amount of comfort for a RV with 3-6 weeks between visits to port? Yeah.

builds character posted:

Yes, yes it does.

Why did you end up picking this spot to do the work instead of this one?

Look at those wrenches laid out perfectly like some kind of psychopath surgeon.

And these are my favorite eye pro, but they can fog up if you get really sweaty because things just aren't loving working.

Pretty sure it was a combo of distance from camp and the fact its a dirt lot and I'd need to swing an engine weighing north of half a ton at four feet up while on dirt.

I'll neither confirm nor deny that I am either a surgeon and or crazy. However a clean work space means less time looking for bolts and tools. It always devolves into anarchy. Spend 15 minutes every other hour or so to knoll the workspace and the whole thing goes a lot faster at hour 11 when everything is coming off the rails, you're tired, and where was this drat ratchet I just had it 5 minutes ago fffffff.

I'm a walking RTG, fogging glasses up is the norm. No excuses for not wearing eye pro. I am a moron.

PainterofCrap posted:

drat.

Thanks buddy, it's... something alright.

This is by far, the dumbest road side repair I've ever done. It is a story I'll probably end up telling the rest of my life.

I hope to never do an this again.

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

cursedshitbox posted:

It is a story I'll probably end up telling the rest of my life.

I hope to never do an this again.

These two statements always go hand-in-glove as the opening to the most entertaining life experiences tales

UCS Hellmaker
Mar 29, 2008
Toilet Rascal
Legit if the ambulance box companies had a side business of rv boxes it would be amazing because those things are built to ridiculous standards, insulated, and the storage area are built hard and tough.

I fully want to get a decent ambulance in a few years once I start looking at travel contracts and start tearing it down to get a decent little home away from home I can use if I take a small contract and for traveling. Plumbing would likely be the biggest issue since that's one of the only things it doesn't come standard with.

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

I had a chance, back in 1986, to buy this for $600

this is a 1973 Dodge Tradesman 300 that was cut in half down the middle, stem to stern, and widened ten inches (you can see the spread in the weird grille insert the professional builder cobbled together).

I balked because the 440 engine was coated in a stunning quantity of old oil, and I immediately started having nightmares about sourcing that windshield.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Holy poo poo that thing is amazing. And a nightmare.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Fun Shoe

Motronic posted:

Holy poo poo that thing is amazing. And a nightmare.

Basically my sentiments.

That is incredible. But also the 7th level of hell of upfitting. Holy poo poo lmao. I bet there's a house of horrors beneath the floors.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

If the constable's brother's nephew's second cousin twice removed managed to gently caress up my car this bad with a light bar and strobes (seriously, nearly 2 years in and I'm still chasing brake light issues, and every time, I find some new circle of hell of hidden wiring that I thought I eradicated over a year ago), I can only imagine what's hiding in THAT.

I bet it's all particle board and glue.

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 16:00 on Dec 18, 2022

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug

PainterofCrap posted:

I had a chance, back in 1986, to buy this for $600

this is a 1973 Dodge Tradesman 300 that was cut in half down the middle, stem to stern, and widened ten inches (you can see the spread in the weird grille insert the professional builder cobbled together).

I balked because the 440 engine was coated in a stunning quantity of old oil, and I immediately started having nightmares about sourcing that windshield.

For a moment I thought that either you or me had misunderstood what "stem to stern" means and then I realized the horror. Jesus gently caress. Would love to see the build pics though.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Fun Shoe
I wanna see what happens to it traversing North Dakota.

There's this neat party trick at the 11th hour between rage, exhaustion, stress, anxiety, and just flat out being worn the gently caress out.
When applied relentlessly to say, a motormount, it will eventually cave and comply with its caretaker's intentions. Or else it gets the mapp pro torch again.

It put up a fight. After that I flew through the rest. Bled the injectors and lit it off. This is the post bleeding startup.
https://i.imgur.com/YXXpkCc.mp4
Mission accomplished. It's running again. 3 return cups are leaking. No big. Shut it down. Pop em off. grease the o-rings with grease, pop the caps back on and tighten the injection line. No more leak.
Heater comes up. Coolant bled. Systems charging. Engine isn't knocking so it has oil pressure. Turbo isn't leaking everywhere. All good.
5.5 hours. Total job time is just under 20 hours from engine off to engine running.

Go to leave. It won't go into loving gear. It won't take any loving gear. Ok loving truck this is not the loving time. What's your loving problem???
Husband stabs the clutch pedal while I'm under it. The arm moves.
But it's not releasing. Ok fine.
Engine off. Throw it in gear. Stab the clutch and the brake. Hit the starter. Truck jerks and starts. The clutch is a little sticky but it is now releasing like it should. Probably sat in the warehouse for a real long time. No surprise given what they wanted for this engine.
By the time I make it to the cul-de-sac and back to the major street the clutch is working as it should. I still don't trust it.

Back to the fairgrounds a literal block away. All I can thing about is an hour long shower and a beer.
Except. The water is now turned off for the season. Wetwipes and a squirt bottle. When the intake manifold gaskets on a chev fails it pours as they say.
There's snow flurries falling this afternoon. Missed it by a couple hours.

I will however, make pizza.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
Somehow I forgot that you had just slam dunked it in there with the sellers clutch assembly on it rather than swapping yours over, so that was mildly confusing till I scrolled back and read that you just checked the condition on the new one.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

STR posted:

If the constable's brother's nephew's second cousin twice removed managed to gently caress up my car this bad with a light bar and strobes (seriously, nearly 2 years in and I'm still chasing brake light issues, and every time, I find some new circle of hell of hidden wiring that I thought I eradicated over a year ago), I can only imagine what's hiding in THAT.

I bet it's all particle board and glue.

I think that's just CVPIs. I'm still fighting my passenger side turn signal five years in because there's an intermittent short somewhere inside the fender that likes to send it to high speed. Not to mention the holes in the roof just sealed with a plastic plug and a bunch of black rubberized coating.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

The most annoying part when the constable brother's nephew's second cousin twice removed butchers all the wiring like this...

Ford gives you connections to hook up drat near everything when you order the police wiring prep package (which my car has - never been touched, still has unpinned plugs). You can order the rest to be pretty much plug and play. But noooooo, they had to go and dick with all the wiring to save a few hundred bucks. At least they left a hole behind the license plate and some poo poo splices for the reverse lights, made it easy to throw in a backup camera. And they didn't bother with any sealant on mine, just slapped plastic plugs in. No leaks that I know of, yet, but they left one antenna on the roof.

cursedshitbox posted:

Turbo isn't leaking everywhere. All good.

Is it still trying to run away pissing oil into the intake, or was that caused by the 50+ PSI in the crankcase at idle?

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 13:32 on Dec 19, 2022

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Fun Shoe

STR posted:

The most annoying part when the constable brother's nephew's second cousin twice removed butchers all the wiring like this...

Ford gives you connections to hook up drat near everything when you order the police wiring prep package (which my car has - never been touched, still has unpinned plugs). You can order the rest to be pretty much plug and play. But noooooo, they had to go and dick with all the wiring to save a few hundred bucks. At least they left a hole behind the license plate and some poo poo splices for the reverse lights, made it easy to throw in a backup camera. And they didn't bother with any sealant on mine, just slapped plastic plugs in. No leaks that I know of, yet, but they left one antenna on the roof.

Is it still trying to run away pissing oil into the intake, or was that caused by the 50+ PSI in the crankcase at idle?

Popping out of nov-2021 for a sec.

It looks now as it did the day I bought the engine. The CDR(pcv) grommet is drooling a little otherwise not much going on. The truck still leaves little puddles of oil from the old engine some 6000 miles later. It's an odd one. It hasn't lost any T6 over the last oil change of nearly 4000 miles. The oil is usually clean for the first few hundred miles; like you'll see in the next update. It starts at 50F without glows.. Something the old engine wouldn't do at 100F.

kastein posted:

Somehow I forgot that you had just slam dunked it in there with the sellers clutch assembly on it rather than swapping yours over, so that was mildly confusing till I scrolled back and read that you just checked the condition on the new one.

And this clutch rears its ugly head with some help from a neighbor.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Fun Shoe

Rotten posted:

Just found this.
https://www.instagram.com/p/CmT-YKBL8CB/?igshid=YmMyMTA2M2Y=

Don't weld your loving upfit to the loving frame for fucks sake.

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

:catstare:

welp, that qualifies as an OHHHHH SHIIIIIIIIIII

If that's unzipping on the weld, it tells me that they may have used oxy-acetylene, which will burn the carbon right out of hardened steel.

Reminds me of a claim I did in 1987. Insured had unibody frame damage to her <3-YO Nissan Sentra. I paid something like $6000 to have it pulled on a frame machine by a body shop that understood high-carbon steel repair. The insured opted to use a guy with a torch working out of his garage in Vineland.

I only found out because she called me for a do-over.* Apparently, she got home from the shop and could not open the driver's door as the frame sagged.

*"no."

PainterofCrap fucked around with this message at 00:49 on Dec 20, 2022

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

OA will absolutely do that, but even MIG welding a big heavy rear end channel or box tube vertically to the frame across the entire web is going to create a hell of a stress riser and it will in fact rise the stress and snap the frame in half after it's been cycled enough to metal fatigue.

That's not even taking into account any corrosion resulting from improper recoating of the welded area flaking off (or worse, cold lap leaving a nice little pocket between the weld bead and the frame rail for water to fester in, causing concentration cell corrosion), extra stress from an undercut on the weld, etc etc.

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

Can you explain what's happened there a little more? I take it they didn't use a proper 3 point mounting like CSB has shown before, instead welding the camper unit to the frame?

Is the problem the metallurgical effects of the weld or the frame loading? Intuitively I'd think that more even loading along the rails would be better but sounds like that's the opposite of what you want.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

STR posted:

Plug on mine is undersized, they just slapped the sealant around it to make it 'fit'.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

knox_harrington posted:

Is the problem the metallurgical effects of the weld or the frame loading?

Yes (it's both)

The problem is twofold, one, they've weakened the frame exactly at that point by their efforts, and two, they have likely effectively stiffened the frame from there back by permanently attaching their own heavy duty steel framework to it to make it wider and a flatter surface to mount a nice structural RV envelope to without it flexing like most RVs, resulting in it being a very stiff frame attached by a weak point to a length of weaker frame, which will concentrate stress on the exact spot where they weakened it.

The RV is very nice I'm sure but the front half of the chassis is snapping off because of it. Like CSB said, they should have built their RV envelope however they wanted and attached it to the truck frame using approved methods such as oak pads and spring bolts, etc etc etc.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Fun Shoe
They could have abated somewhat(their lovely design) by using a fishplate on the opposite side of the channel no less than 2x the height of the rail and or 2x the width of their hokey weld on upfit. Option b is to box the frame in that area if it is not. The correct fix is to subframe it. Even ubolts and wood would be better than this method. This is somehow even worse than the upfit and frame of the truck this thread is about.

Don't weld at 90 degree corners, like welding a piece of rectangular steel (the vertical mount) to a piece of frame like they did. That will create a stress concentration at the corners and a clean break point to snap at. This is why all fishplates and the like have some kind of filleted non-90 degree corners. (This actually led to crack three in this truck's frame from our intrepid backyard welder in North Dakota, more on that later)

When welding it weakens the surrounding steel. This is a new enough truck that the frame is heat treated. Being heat treated they can use thinner metals. Welding ruins the treatment. These frames usually use a higher strength steel than just mild 36 thou psi. Welding steel of the wrong type and or using the wrong filler contaminates the high strength steel. Once contaminated it is no longer what it once was.
This is why when I had the cracks patched on the truck, every single time, that it was plated around it with fish plate to spread the load over the section that had been damaged by point overloading. It's mild steel and not treated however. I had a small panic when mine broke the first time as I was under the impression that it was treated and high strength but no, it's just a Ford.

It's interesting to me seeing all these frame failures coming out of the woodwork. Till mine it was basically F450-crew-cab-pickup + tc + trailer that had been rear-ended and that was about it. This is the uhhh fourth one I've seen in maybe six weeks.

Rotten
May 21, 2002

As a shadow I walk in the land of the dead

cursedshitbox posted:

Just found this.

Fuuuuuck lol

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Wait who welded it the owner or the RV builder?

Cuz if it's the RV builder what in the gently caress.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

UCS Hellmaker
Mar 29, 2008
Toilet Rascal
Rv builder. Those are made in a factory and they source the trucks from dodge, Ford, and gm.

So the car manufacturers won't fix it either and will deny any warranty related to the aftermarket camper welded incorrectly to the frame.

UCS Hellmaker fucked around with this message at 00:53 on Dec 21, 2022