Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

My mistake, then.

But it does go to my point that you don't need to worry about it at all, or even understand how it works properly, unless you're actually doing fractals. And that there's plenty of game to do apart from fractals

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Meskhenet
Apr 26, 2010

Im going to say

Fractals are fun.
They have a good overarching story (and its kinda neat that EoD is based on fractals)

Its a pity they are really good gold and i think mystic coins. Because you can end up in a group more interested in farming than having fun.

But def try out fractals

Gaukler
Oct 9, 2012

Fractals are good and I got my first legendary that way. T4 dailies are also decent gold. They have some real weird holdovers from being the first “end game” content in gw2 though. I wish they’d kill the AR requirements but let you scale up further for better rewards (like piling on instabilities)

Lonk
Jan 26, 2012

LET'S FUCKING GOOOOOOOO

Hello Sailor
May 3, 2006

we're all mad here

haven't really been into any of the other plushie things they've done, but I do like that turt

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
I don't even have the turtle an still want the skin in case I unlock it in the next five years :rubby:

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

ALL ABOARD THE SCOTLAND HYPE TRAIN!

CHOO CHOO
Dammit why did you have to put that in the thread, I can't resist that!

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe

tarbrush posted:

Dammit why did you have to put that in the thread, I can't resist that!
We got Lonked.

LordAdakos
Sep 1, 2009
Why isn't there a lonk wardrobe consultancy? I'd pay hard earned gold to get top notch fashion advice from this threads premier fashionista.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

LordAdakos posted:

Why isn't there a lonk wardrobe consultancy? I'd pay hard earned gold to get top notch fashion advice from this threads premier fashionista.

1) Get all the electro dyes
2) Be as big and as nude as possible

bengy81
May 8, 2010
My favorite thing is when I see random map chats talking about a really big, pink, naked Norn male :allears:

Lonk
Jan 26, 2012

LET'S FUCKING GOOOOOOOO

Inzombiac posted:

1) Get all the electro dyes
2) Be as big and as nude as possible

Not wrong.

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Gaz Posting Brigade :c00lbert:
Lonk is a Black Lion influencer

Lonk
Jan 26, 2012

LET'S FUCKING GOOOOOOOO
"Fixed a client crash related to shadows.
Reverted changes to postprocessing settings."

That was quick.

ApeHawk
Jun 6, 2010

All the NPCs will look up and shout, "Do this quest!"
and I'll whisper, "Sure, why not."

Lonk posted:

"Fixed a client crash related to shadows.
Reverted changes to postprocessing settings."

That was quick.

and yet the cata nerf felt quicker

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
Hey Anet, kindly gently caress yourself and your lovely research notes. But especially the loving yourself part. I liked my cheap silly event foods, but now the wintersday presents are 99.99999% useless garbage and the extremely rare ice cube.

E: The post processing issue is funny. I have been running the game without it pretty much since launch, only because the vaseline filter/bloom effect bothers me. I really hope they'll give us more granular control because global post processing settings have been annoying for ages (another favourite of mine is when games roll terrible DoF and motion blur effects in one post process/advanced FX option, I think The Secret World used to do that).
E2: Today I turned it back on for a minute, still not impressed. "Low" introduces the Vaseline filter, and everything is washed out and bright, "high" is mostly the same but darker :barf:

orcane fucked around with this message at 14:00 on Dec 15, 2022

Proud graduate of the Andy Reid coaching clinic.
Playing necro with post processing on is pure torture.

Mercury_Storm
Jun 12, 2003

*chomp chomp chomp*

Tongue-Tied
Mar 10, 2007

Pillbug
I forgot gw2 efficiency does daily giveaways during December: https://gw2efficiency.com/holiday-calendar-2022

I became a supporter earlier this year which automatically puts your name in every day. Logged in tonight to an email that I won 250 ectos, yay!

Free Chicken
Jan 16, 2006

Buglord
I just got into the game and almost gonna hit lvl 20 as a guardian. Used to play GW1 back since beta but never played this cuz planetside 2 was way cooler at the time.

After playing ff14 and other rpgs today, I really wish the game had controller support. My boomer wrist is dying.

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

There’s no native support, but I’ve seen some people say they’ve had success with an externally mapped controller and the Action Camera mode that puts the game into first person.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

First or third. Yeah I do that sometimes and it's fine but you still need a mouse nearby for things like inventory management and stuff. Steam Deck has a touchpad on the controller and that's pretty useful.

AmbientParadox
Mar 2, 2005
I’m thinking about Gw2 at launch where your skill tree progression was locked behind tomes that would be world drops and sold for small fortunes in the TP back then. That sucked

Mercury_Storm
Jun 12, 2003

*chomp chomp chomp*
I remember when you had to do weird events like kill the giant grub in WVW to unlock some of your traits, that was real dumb too.

MajorBonnet
May 28, 2009

How did I get here?

AmbientParadox posted:

I’m thinking about Gw2 at launch where your skill tree progression was locked behind tomes that would be world drops and sold for small fortunes in the TP back then. That sucked

There's still some up for sale on the TP. I was just browsing around the other day and saw them.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

AmbientParadox posted:

i played gw2 at launch and i don't remember this at all lmfao

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

At launch you had to pay to reset your traits. Also each specialization line was tied to a core stat (power, toughness, etc) and gave you a good chunk of stats.

Luggage
Aug 29, 2009

MajorBonnet posted:

There's still some up for sale on the TP. I was just browsing around the other day and saw them.

Do they have any functionality nowadays or are they just glorified trophies?

Guildenstern Mother
Mar 31, 2010

Why walk when you can ride?

Truga posted:

i played gw2 at launch and i don't remember this at all lmfao

Hell I don't even remember this from the beta. Gw1 had (has?) tomes, maybe it's a fused game memory

Actuarial Fables
Jul 29, 2014

Taco Defender
At launch, Training Manuals were sold by profession trainers, which were in all the major cities. The manuals would unlock the Adept, Master, and Grandmaster tiers. You could sell/buy them on the trading post, but unless you were in an area where you couldn't get to a city (???) there wasn't a reason to do that other than to rip off gullible people.

A change was made in 2014 to have individual traits be unlocked instead of unlocking all of them immediately. You could either buy the trait unlock from the trainers, or complete specific events/jumping puzzles/other stuff.

2015 introduced the trait system we know today.

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

Actuarial Fables posted:

At launch, Training Manuals were sold by profession trainers, which were in all the major cities. The manuals would unlock the Adept, Master, and Grandmaster tiers. You could sell/buy them on the trading post, but unless you were in an area where you couldn't get to a city (???) there wasn't a reason to do that other than to rip off gullible people.

A change was made in 2014 to have individual traits be unlocked instead of unlocking all of them immediately. You could either buy the trait unlock from the trainers, or complete specific events/jumping puzzles/other stuff.

2015 introduced the trait system we know today.

The 2014 system is the one I remember, since I came in late.

Didn't those unlock tasks get turned into the hero point earning thingies we have today?

Guildenstern Mother
Mar 31, 2010

Why walk when you can ride?
I think I remember that, but I didn't remember it was an actual item. Weird choice, like other than selling it on the TP why would it be an item? Was gold not account based then?

Actuarial Fables
Jul 29, 2014

Taco Defender

Guildenstern Mother posted:

Was gold not account based then?

If you wanted to pass gold between your characters you had to put it in the bank.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Guildenstern Mother posted:

Hell I don't even remember this from the beta. Gw1 had (has?) tomes, maybe it's a fused game memory

i never got high enough in the beta for it to matter

when i think about it i have these glimpses of tomes that came at levels 40-60-80 maybe? probably? sold by some lion's arch npc

i do miss specializations giving stats though, bring back boon duration on arcane

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

I still have a couple transmutation crystals but you need 3 to make a charge and they are account bound :negative:

Arzaac
Jan 2, 2020

whydirt posted:

At launch you had to pay to reset your traits. Also each specialization line was tied to a core stat (power, toughness, etc) and gave you a good chunk of stats.

God I remember that, it completely sucked. You were basically forced to take your Power/Precision trait lines because the stats ended up so much more impactful than the traits themselves.

where the red fern gropes
Aug 24, 2011

there were level ~10 traits that required killing level 80 world bosses

or obsidian sanctum lmao

Hakarne
Jul 23, 2007
Vivo en el autobús!

Inzombiac posted:

I still have a couple transmutation crystals but you need 3 to make a charge and they are account bound :negative:

Lmao this is me. I have two which are functionally useless but I can't bring myself to get rid of them. They're irreplaceable garbage!

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
I remember the books and stat blocks for trait lines and gold to respec, I don't remember requirements of doing specific events in the game to unlock the traits.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

New emote in the shop!

And it loops.

Edit: I forgot to change my VPN when buying gems and had to pay sales tax :(

Inzombiac fucked around with this message at 20:57 on Dec 20, 2022