Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

YaketySass
Jan 15, 2019

Blind Idiot Dog

Pham Nuwen posted:

It is a little puzzling that, if you're gonna do everything with CGI anyway, you'd decide that 3 ships is a pretty good amount. Make a loving armada, you're just telling the CGI slaves to copy-paste a few times!

Or write it so that it's a small expedition, as ACOUP notes. It's insane just how often this show feels like they went with their first idea for any given scene.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

Pham Nuwen posted:

It is a little puzzling that, if you're gonna do everything with CGI anyway, you'd decide that 3 ships is a pretty good amount. Make a loving armada, you're just telling the CGI slaves to copy-paste a few times!

yeah, what's the point of cgi if you aren't using it to make some amazing poo poo that you couldn't make with traditional means

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe
Some guy I watch play video games said there's realistic and there's authentic. I think we tend to mean authentic more often than realistic. Like something "feels right".

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Split the difference and go for realism as an artistic expression, which is not inherently realistic but invokes the sense of being realistic.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

ChubbyChecker posted:

wasn't he like a singer too

I think so yeah. He's got a great reading voice.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Runcible Cat posted:

There's realistic and there's realistic, though. He's using it to describe more a kind of... groundedness than the "hurr you've got magic and demigods and elves how's any of that realistic" realistic. Things like "getting to certain places is going to take a certain amount of time unless you specifically mention you're using a magic dingus to get there faster" and "come on, you're not going to fit 300 horses on that ship and if you are then show us them all trotting out of the Bag of Holding" and so on. Which makes sense; if a pyroclastic flow isn't going to Pompeii everything it touches why worry about it? It's just spectacle with no involvement, and if that's what they were going for then they should have gone in a drat sight harder on the spectacle. It's not as though the Sil's short on spectacle FFS!

This is a good post because it covers some very "authentic" (to reference the last few posts) scenes and shots that could have added immensely to the texture of the show if only they'd been planned that way at the storyboard phase. Which makes me think a lot of the lack of quote-unquote "realism" is a lack of imagination on the part of the filmmakers.

Certainly there are things that are really difficult/expensive/unfeasible to do on any kind of budget; like, go up to an animator with a set of boards that say "And then the armies collide" and then duck because you'll be getting animation discs slung at your throat. But this show could have planned shots like the Ride of the Rohirrim with the amount of budget behind it, and clearly they had the ability to stage shots like that because they tried their damnedest to ape the Jackson shot. But a few more, perhaps less obvious shots, used in the right places, like the horses being driven out of the ships' holds (even if the ships were CGI) would have added a whole lot to the "populatedness" texture of the world, as would have a few shots of other towns and villages even if just populated with CGI humans. All it really took was being able to plan some good, effective establishing shots from the outset, and the resources they had available could have made them happen.

Bmac32
Nov 25, 2012
It honestly feels very cargo cultish to me. Like, they have to budget to do some real big things, but don't seem to understand why those things should be in the show or how to connect them together.

Individual parts are very good, but it doesn't cling together.

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

has a massive budget ever been wasted like this?

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

ChubbyChecker posted:

The biggest budget movie ever* is still the 4th Pirates of the Caribbean film.

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

Star Wars went from one trilogy to three.

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

ChubbyChecker posted:

The Hobbit movies.

I said what I said.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

at least i remember more than 3 scenes from the hobbit movies

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!

Shibawanko posted:

at least i remember more than 3 scenes from the hobbit movies

Yeah but I bet that at least two of those sucked.

keep punching joe fucked around with this message at 17:25 on Dec 18, 2022

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

Doctor Spaceman posted:

The biggest budget movie ever* is still the 4th Pirates of the Caribbean film.

i watched that in a movie theater, and didn't feel disappointed or having been cheated out of my money. it wasn't a spectacular movie, but still ok

i didn't have high hoped about the lotr show, but it still managed to disapoint. tbf, i didn't feel cheated, because i didn't pay anything to amazon

Oracle posted:

The Hobbit movies.

I said what I said.

Siivola posted:

Star Wars went from one trilogy to three.

at least the effects looked expensive and fit the films, even if the movies sucked otherwise

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

keep punching joe posted:

Yeah but I bet that at least two of those sucked.

i think the great goblin was cool

Kemper Boyd
Aug 6, 2007

no kings, no gods, no masters but a comfy chair and no socks
Galadriel going horrorshow mode is still one of my favorite scenes from the Hobbit movies because I have no taste whatsoever. On the other hand that's from the third movie, of which my most vivid image is the woman next to me in the cinema asking me how long this is gonna take after half an hour.

Next time i glanced over, she had curled up into a fetal position in her seat and was snoring.

Mr. Grapes!
Feb 12, 2007
Mr. who?
Yeah both House of the Dragon and Rings of Power largely have scenes comprising a handful of characters who supposedly exist in these well populated kingdoms.

Neither of them show huge numbers of people on these military expeditions that are supposed to be a momentous effort. The difference is that House of the Dragon puts in the very minimal effort to just have characters say stuff like "I'm sending 10,000 men!" and we can just take them at their word. Rings of Power has Numenor at the height of greatness and:

- They are going on a military expedition.
- It is apparently extremely small (3 ships!!!!!) yet they still don't have enough soldiers to fill it, so much that there are scenes of market-women enlisting in the military for an expedition which apparently leaves in just a few days.

It costs absolutely zero dollars to just have them say they are sending 30,000 guys on a hundred ships, and if you really want them to be outnumbered underdogs you can also include throwaway lines about the fleet getting scattered by a storm or something. The kingdom they are rescuing is also apparently made up of two total villages, no other people living in this kingdom are mentioned and they act like they have already won the war by chasing a small band of orcs out of a single tiny village.

It's just bizarre they spend a billion dollars and couldn't just mention their vast armies if they didn't want the CGI guys to copy/paste some loving boats as specks in the distance. People have pulled this stuff off with miniscule budgets in the past.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
House of the Dragon is also a court drama while Rings of Power wants to do court drama, quaint hobbit adventure, buddy cop banter and sweeping fantasy

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
It's been a very long time since I've watched the Theatrical Cuts of the trilogy but Crave has been playing a marathon all day. They're still surprisingly good and I do prefer some of the original takes that were used in Return of the King over the alternate takes from the extended edition. Gandalf is much less of a dick to Pippin in some scenes of the theatrical version.

And I'm still watery-eyed at the Grey Havens scene. I will not say do not weep, for not all tears are an evil.

I remember the behind the scenes footage where all the other actors wanted to murder Sean Astin because they'd been so emotionally drained from filming the scene, they'd just done a take that nailed it, and then got told they had to do another take because he'd put his costume on wrong.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Arc Hammer posted:

I remember the behind the scenes footage where all the other actors wanted to murder Sean Astin because they'd been so emotionally drained from filming the scene, they'd just done a take that nailed it, and then got told they had to do another take because he'd put his costume on wrong.

I don't remember that one but it should definitely be added to the Production Trivia Canon

(ie Viggo's Toe, Viggo's Block, etc.)

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Phy posted:

I don't remember that one but it should definitely be added to the Production Trivia Canon

(ie Viggo's Toe, Viggo's Block, etc.)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W5bB7-jg_4M

At about 8 minutes in they talk about it.

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe
Did they do new year celebrations in middle earth?

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

SHISHKABOB posted:

Did they do new year celebrations in middle earth?

Hobbits keep a week-long-ish Yuletide across the end of the old year and start of the new. It’s in the boring appendix with all the calendrical systems

Killer robot
Sep 6, 2010

I was having the most wonderful dream. I think you were in it!
Pillbug

skasion posted:

Hobbits keep a week-long-ish Yuletide across the end of the old year and start of the new. It’s in the boring appendix with all the calendrical systems

Yule itself is two days which have days of the week but not days of the month. For a little extra fun, midsummer does the same thing, plus a third day (and fourth in leap year) that don't even have a day of the week. That keeps all the months 30 days and lets the same calendar be reused every year.

Bmac32
Nov 25, 2012
Mods, change my name to winterfilth.

Emzedoh
Jun 26, 2013

That one definitely jumped out at me, too.

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.
I definitely flunked out of Blotmath a few times in college

Zopotantor
Feb 24, 2013

...und ist er drin dann lassen wir ihn niemals wieder raus...

Emzedoh posted:

That one definitely jumped out at me, too.

There’s also an in-universe joke about impossible things (pigs flying, trees walking etc.) happening on Friday the first of Summerfilth.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Lousy Summerfilth weather!

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Data Graham posted:

Lousy Summerfilth weather!

"Do Not Touch Baggins." Good Advice!

Hog Fell on Me
Apr 11, 2006

The art of war is simple enough.
For anyone who may not know, when Tolkien created the Shire calendar he borrowed the Old English names for the months of the year and modernized them, so the old Anglo-Saxon Winterfylleth became Winterfilth, Blōt-mōnaþ became Blotmath, etc.

The monk and historian Bede, writing in the 8th century, described Winterfylleth (October in the Julian calendar) thusly: "The old English people split the year into two seasons, summer and winter, placing six months — during which the days are longer than the nights — in summer, and the other six in winter. They called the month when the winter season began Ƿintirfylliþ, a word composed of "winter" and "full moon", because winter began on the first full moon of that month."

Blōt-mōnaþ ("sacrifice-month," November) was a bit spicier: "Blod-monath is month of immolations, for it was in this month that the cattle which were to be slaughtered were dedicated to the gods."

And there is even a whole site dedicated to the Shire calendar here: https://shire-reckoning.com/calendar.html

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

They translate it as sacrifice month but it clearly says BLOOD MONTH

MadDogMike
Apr 9, 2008

Cute but fanged

euphronius posted:

They translate it as sacrifice month but it clearly says BLOOD MONTH

And now my brain is hilariously stuck on an image of the cheerful Shire hobbits having a month of blood sacrifices. No wonder Gandalf doesn't linger long! And I somewhat suspect the Rangers would be there to make sure nothing gets out of the Shire instead of into it.

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

MadDogMike posted:

And now my brain is hilariously stuck on an image of the cheerful Shire hobbits having a month of blood sacrifices. No wonder Gandalf doesn't linger long! And I somewhat suspect the Rangers would be there to make sure nothing gets out of the Shire instead of into it.

Knowing hobbits, its just a blood sausage, blood pudding etc festival coinciding with slaughter.

YaketySass
Jan 15, 2019

Blind Idiot Dog
Imagine if Tolkien had inserted an appendice casually describing Hobbits doing Wicker Man stuff in between the details about pipeweed and family trees.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Chop some chiives, braise the pork
Slaughter the cattle and pop the corks
Fill the glasses and spread the plates
Eat what Butcher Baggins makes!

Judgy Fucker
Mar 24, 2006

We watched the Rankin/Bass Hobbit for the first time last night, and gotta say that despite some flaws of its own that was a significantly better experience than watching Jackson's Hobbit movies.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

It's so good. Yeah it's weird and quirky as hell but so is the book.

Judgy Fucker
Mar 24, 2006

Data Graham posted:

It's so good. Yeah it's weird and quirky as hell but so is the book.

Yeah, it has this same--musty, I guess? and whimsical--feel to it like the book does. Even though some stuff is left out, nothing is added in, and it does feel like a very faithful adaptation of the story in both content and vibe. My kids love it and it's been on three or four times already since my first post.

As far as cutting things out, Beorn is fine/whatever, but why cut out the Arkenstone? It's a singular plot device that gives reason for Thorin to get mad at Bilbo and to create Smaug's weak spot. It would take no time at all to have established that there's a super special gem then weave its two purposes into the story :shrug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mike N Eich
Jan 27, 2007

This might just be the year
After years of being intimidated by it I finally decided to take the plunge and read the Silmarillion, and to my surprise it’s extremely readable and enjoyable! I’m not sure why people hype up how dense it is, because it really does come easy. It’s a wonderful blend of Greek mythology and Christian eschatology. It’s also fun to see how much the writing style changes from section to section, it’s very apparent how things shift with the story of Beren and Luthien which is told like an Arthurian legend or something. It’s great.

My only issues with it is that because so much of it is set in Beleriand, a continent that sinks into the sea, I have a very hard time placing anything, and honestly, have very little interest in *trying* to figure out where anything is because most of the geography has no connection to what we experience in Lord of the Rings. I know the story is its own thing but it does cut into my investment a little bit.

Anyway it’s fabulous stuff and may get me to investigate some of the other post-LOTR material out there