Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MechanicalTomPetty
Oct 30, 2011

Runnin' down a dream
That never would come to me

pik_d posted:

Yes FarmGrid still works

Thanks for the heads up, I just finished planting and harvesting two crops and oh my loving god this mod makes farming so much more tolerable. No more spending like a solid hour just planting crops because the game expects you to basically eyeball the minimum safe distance between every single loving sheaf of barely.

I really wish this was a feature in the base game. I kind of wonder if it will be at some point, it seems kind of noteworthy that you still can't plant thistle and only get one bronze-tier piece of equipment for actually farming poo poo so maybe they're planning another pass on that down the line? Maybe they'll add a plough as a higher-tier version of the cultivator at some point, or add something that lets you cultivate biome-specific crops in other locations? It seems like there's a lot you could do there to flesh things out a bit and make it a little less tedious overall.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

metasynthetic
Dec 2, 2005

in one moment, Earth

in the next, Heaven

Megamarm
The build camera mod (as hosted on Thunderstore) works for Mistlands despite not saying so.

I'll definitely join in on a modded server if ones available, I'd settle for vanilla otherwise. I could recommend some other QoL type mods if there's interest.

Jawnycat
Jul 9, 2015
The Valhiem+ server is up and running and open to the good goonfolk
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=4019993

Give a shout in the thread if your planning on playing on it so I can get an idea on how alive it's gonna be.
Also to let me know everything is working alright and peeps can actually get on.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

I play on my friend's vanilla server via my steam deck. Can they install Valheim Plus and that's that? Do I have to gently caress around and somehow install a nexus mod onto my steam deck, or can I just let them handle it all, and log on as usual?

Jawnycat
Jul 9, 2015

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

I play on my friend's vanilla server via my steam deck. Can they install Valheim Plus and that's that? Do I have to gently caress around and somehow install a nexus mod onto my steam deck, or can I just let them handle it all, and log on as usual?

It requires a client-side install; all the configuration is handled server-side tho.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Jawnycat posted:

It requires a client-side install; all the configuration is handled server-side tho.

Balls. Ok, I'll looking into installing it on my deck. Thanks!

Hasselblad
Dec 13, 2017

My dumbass opinions are only outweighed by my racism.

No one forgot that I exist to defend violent cops, champion chaining down immigrants, and have trash opinions on cooking.
Reinstalled after 6 or so months of taking a break, installed epic loot and stuff . Went in game and found myself smacked in the head with the chillness and sat down on a bench and just existed.

concise
Aug 31, 2004

Ain't much to do
'round here.

drewhead posted:

Have you gotten the new content in your container yet? I just got around to trying today and the container wont download the new server. I'm using lloesche/valheim-server.

I’m using mbround18/valheim because it was easier to specify mods in the compose file. No issues so far.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011
Any good relatively simple dock/quay designs for a seaside village? I just entered the iron age and spent most of yesterday building a church building for portals near the Stones and am trying to design a small village nearby mostly for looks. Also, with the proliferation of cooking stuff and forge/workshop add-ons, I feel like a separate building for the forge and workshop makes sense, even if it is less efficient. Would love some design ideas for either single or combined workshop/forge areas, especially with smelters etc nearby.

In general I'm trying to use portals to connect already connected areas, either by roads or by docks, instead of, say, building a single sleeping area and just always teleporting back to it.

FLIPADELPHIA
Apr 27, 2007

Heavy Shit
Grimey Drawer
One design I keep returning to his an X shaped building with hearth and comfort items in the middle, workshop on one end, forge on one, bed on one, and the fourth being just for aesthetics like a cool view, garden etc.

I like to mix stone, core wood, and regular wood so that each wing can have a slightly different design. I'll post a few screenshots when I get home.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Ravenfood posted:

Any good relatively simple dock/quay designs for a seaside village? I just entered the iron age and spent most of yesterday building a church building for portals near the Stones and am trying to design a small village nearby mostly for looks. Also, with the proliferation of cooking stuff and forge/workshop add-ons, I feel like a separate building for the forge and workshop makes sense, even if it is less efficient. Would love some design ideas for either single or combined workshop/forge areas, especially with smelters etc nearby.

I'm a big fan of a two stone pier design, with optionally rounded off shore-side bits. Make it out of stone blocks for the structure, stone floors for the middle, put regular wood beams along the outside edges for the looks, and then snap stone column pieces to those every few meters, half buried, to make the bollards you might tie up to.

It's a design I 100% stole from someone in this thread who posted pics

e: here it is:

Uldor posted:

Been playing this a lot, possibly too much. This is server I host for my brother and another friend, our Plains base after he decided to land and build our outpost between 2 camps... (we haven't even killed Bonemass yet but he's nearby!) Kind of went crazy here while waiting for our free time to align

The Harbor

The Great Hall

Next is a forward base in the swamp on the other side of this island with a portal for the inevitable corpse runs

PittTheElder fucked around with this message at 17:16 on Dec 19, 2022

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011
Nice, thanks. I do like the look of those piers and will steal the look, I think. I'll grab some pictures of my church/teleport hub tomorrow since I'm really happy with it. Scaffolding can be a giant pain in the rear end and I died a lot making it. I also clear-cut half a continent for jt.

Next big build will be a plains base after I unlock tar, modeled on Meduseld I think. I just need to figure out where I'll put the sleeping space since I don't love it in the basement. Also might use creative mode for that one since the satisfaction of building the church was definitely not worth the hassle.

Ravenfood fucked around with this message at 18:29 on Dec 19, 2022

Thorn Wishes Talon
Oct 18, 2014

by Fluffdaddy
What are some "must-have" mods for casual multiplayer? Mostly looking for quality-of-life stuff, and not mods that add uber legendary gear or whatever.

FLIPADELPHIA
Apr 27, 2007

Heavy Shit
Grimey Drawer
-Show Container Contents
-Instant Monster Drop
-Farm Grid
-Crafty Boxes
-Overhead Axe Swing (for chopping logs and stumps)
-Precise Rotation
-Show Plant Progress
-Terrain Reset

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

Also Plant Anything is good, since a lot of people means going ranging a long way to find enough mushrooms and berries. Plus being able to plop down nice looking bushes is good, and you get the plant timers for free.

The Atomic Man-Boy
Jul 23, 2007

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

Balls. Ok, I'll looking into installing it on my deck. Thanks!

Please do let me know if you get it to work. I've tried installing it on my deck to no avail.

oXDemosthenesXo
May 9, 2005
Grimey Drawer

Ravenfood posted:

Nice, thanks. I do like the look of those piers and will steal the look, I think. I'll grab some pictures of my church/teleport hub tomorrow since I'm really happy with it. Scaffolding can be a giant pain in the rear end and I died a lot making it. I also clear-cut half a continent for jt.

Next big build will be a plains base after I unlock tar, modeled on Meduseld I think. I just need to figure out where I'll put the sleeping space since I don't love it in the basement. Also might use creative mode for that one since the satisfaction of building the church was definitely not worth the hassle.

Dock advice:
- build on a river or deep bay. The ocean waves don't go very far into those areas so your boats won't be getting smashed constantly

- Install the "use items in water" mod. The amount of frustration you'll save is hard to overstate

Also don't be shy about scaffolding. I used to be pretty lazy about putting up the absolute minimum amount but eventually I learned it's better to make fairly elaborate scaffolding even if it'll get torn down quickly.

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines
Is the Valheim+ client install all I need if I'm playing a solo campaign, or do I still have to install some sort of equivalent to a server-side mod?

Firebert
Aug 16, 2004
I climbed up this weekend on the beta build and the changes to Mistlands enemy spawning feels really good. I didn't even see a Gjall for the first couple of hours exploring Mistlands and when I did, the nerfs to the projectile made it significantly easier to deal with.

They still really need to take another crack at the topography and worldgen though:
1)When you are not in the valleys, mistlands is really annoying to get around
2) The mist reveal radius should also probably be doubled
3) So far my maps have been 2/2 having Moder pawns surrounded by mistlands which both really suck for getting to it but also seems to warp the topography of the mistlands even more lmao. The views from the mountain of the surrounding unshrouded mistlands is really great though, which also makes me wish for more visibility, it really is a spectacular biome.

Feels like Mistlands was meant to launch with either ropes or a grappling hook, would make a lot of the janky hopping parts much more tolerable. Or explosives to blast through sheer rock walls!

Molybdenum
Jun 25, 2007
Melting Point ~2622C
Luring 1 and 2 star trolls into swamps or plains never gets old. Watch this 2nd biome bro duke it out with critters from the 5th biome. I bet they'd rock a stone golem if they have a log but I've never lured one up a mountain before.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!
One of my favourite moments from my first group run of Valheim was getting a troll raid at the workbench we'd put down for a portal into a fuling village. We kited the trolls into the fuling village expecting them to at least stand a chance.

They got ABSOLUTELY wrecked.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
Early in mistlands exploring I ran from a soldier and kited it into two lox, who were also fighting a troll. Some wolves joined in too due to the commotion.

I think the lox came out on top eventually but it was pretty funny.

Mooktastical
Jan 8, 2008

Argue posted:

Is the Valheim+ client install all I need if I'm playing a solo campaign, or do I still have to install some sort of equivalent to a server-side mod?

The former

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

Does the discovery music or whatever it's called ever go away? We started a new server but our selected base spot had a tiny generated shack on it; it's since been torn down but every time you walk over that spot now it changes the music, and it's very irritating. Could really use some way to get rid of it.

MechanicalTomPetty
Oct 30, 2011

Runnin' down a dream
That never would come to me
I thiiiink it goes away permanently if you stand there long enough for the full track to play out but don’t quote me on that.

Jawnycat
Jul 9, 2015
I know when I built in one of those village ruins the music eventually stopped happening, even though I kept a few of the old buildings around, but no idea what triggered it to not play anymore.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Coming back to the game after a long break and oh great they've made the swamp stage even more loving awful by adding in more bullshit monsters and giving you less iron. Just what we all needed.

Thorn Wishes Talon
Oct 18, 2014

by Fluffdaddy

FLIPADELPHIA posted:

-Show Container Contents
-Instant Monster Drop
-Farm Grid
-Crafty Boxes
-Overhead Axe Swing (for chopping logs and stumps)
-Precise Rotation
-Show Plant Progress
-Terrain Reset

Thanks! Do all the players need to download these individually, or will the game clients automatically download them when its connecting to the server?

I'm using Thunderstore Mod Manager and the server is on Dathost, if that matters.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

OwlFancier posted:

Coming back to the game after a long break and oh great they've made the swamp stage even more loving awful by adding in more bullshit monsters and giving you less iron. Just what we all needed.

The iron is actually substantially easier to dig out than it was on release

metasynthetic
Dec 2, 2005

in one moment, Earth

in the next, Heaven

Megamarm

Thorn Wishes Talon posted:

Thanks! Do all the players need to download these individually, or will the game clients automatically download them when its connecting to the server?

I'm using Thunderstore Mod Manager and the server is on Dathost, if that matters.

You can use r2modman (open source mod manager, linked on Thunderstore) to share stuff pretty easily. It will still pull mods from the Thunderstore repository, but once you've configured a mod profile the way you like, you can then export it either as a file, or as a text code, and have the other players put that into their r2modman install and they'll get the same mod profile.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

PittTheElder posted:

The iron is actually substantially easier to dig out than it was on release

But the drop rate is lousy, which means you have to spend more time actually looking for the poo poo and spending any amount of time trying to navigate the swamps is too much.

I would rather bring several picks and just get a decent amount than have to spend gently caress knows how long looking for crypts and dealing with parking the boat without it getting destroyed.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011
Iron feels way more prolific than before, tbh, and the new monster drops armor that means you don't need to gear up in iron (or get gud) before heading into the mountains.

I'm finding my swamp areas substantially nicer than the first time around, with at least 60 iron from my first crypt, and that was easy to find too.

Firebert
Aug 16, 2004
The helm from the new swamp monster largely nullifies the most annoying part of the swamp (and the boss) and the chest armor is actually useful in the mistlands

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters
Root armor is basically the best armor in the game from swamp through mountain and plains then it finally obsoletes in Mistlands. Fenris is better for early Mistlands imo.

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

Maybe I'll go where I can see stars
patch in live version now

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011
Shame because padded and iron armor both look great. Silver isn't bad but I love the look of the other two.

anatomi
Jan 31, 2015

Padded armor is pretty good. Its defense rating is like three times that of root armor. But I suppose the latter is better if all you wanna do is plink arrows from afar.

Molybdenum
Jun 25, 2007
Melting Point ~2622C
I think the iron piles outside crypts are more frequent, or maybe I just have a better sense of where to look.

When I'm after a lot of iron I bring a cart, park it outside a crypt and ferry iron to it, a work bench, wall and roof on top of the crypt let's you repair your antler pickaxe(s) so you can usually clear 3 or 4 crypts this way, then spend a lot of time farming and smelting for upgrades/etc.

And yes, root mask is priority #1 for swamp exploration. I didn't even bother making any poison mead on this most recent run. I'm just getting into the mountains now. Next play session will be more silver or maybe a frost cave if I'm feeling froggy

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

anatomi posted:

Padded armor is pretty good. Its defense rating is like three times that of root armor. But I suppose the latter is better if all you wanna do is plink arrows from afar.

It’s more that all the threats of consequence in the Plains are piercing damage and Root armor is tankier against Pierce than Padded while also protecting against Poison.

Even if you’re melee-ing, Root armor is the better pick. If you get truly swarmed a quick Bonemass will solve the problem. But javelin Fulings and Deathsquitos nailing you from a blind spot during a chaotic fight is threat numero uno and Root armor pretty much completely neuters both of those things.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

anatomi posted:

It gives piercing resistance which helps against a sneaky deathsquito or javelin fuling. It is at least as good as padded against those things.

There is also fenris armor as a other intermediate armor. Really, I think the light armors are just mechanically better in every way and also tend to look worse at the equivalent tier. Troll maybe being the exception since I don't love bronze. Either way I fully plan on making and wearing padded for fashion during the stage of the game where you sail around raiding fuling villages.