Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Gruckles posted:

The baby yeti from last year was much better.

Yeeeeti!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

:goonsay: its pronounced "Yeh-tee".

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

Gruckles posted:

The baby yeti from last year was much better.

I lol'd at that. Kids are brutal.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

cross posting

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
i know the person that put that together! they were real happy it finally went up after submitting it months ago and i'm real glad it did b/c it kicks rear end

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

Countblanc posted:

it being a regular reindeer is the funniest option because every other animal in eorzea is absolutely roided out

Especially because its glamour is a defensive adaptation, picture this slavering pack of wolves creeping up on a reindeer herd that is suddenly like, a herd of malboros or cloaked in flame.

I was half expecting the failed experiments to involve the defensive glamour, not just "Blitzen has seen the Scrooge in your heart, and will not condone these shenanigans."

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

I enjoy every time there's just a normal animal in this game, tbh. I should have the seagull minion out more.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

flatluigi posted:

i know the person that put that together! they were real happy it finally went up after submitting it months ago and i'm real glad it did b/c it kicks rear end

Until now I didn't know SilvaGunner was a group rather than a single person. One of the best things to come out of the internet, right up there with dril tweets, and this was a great one.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

Bruceski posted:

Until now I didn't know SilvaGunner was a group rather than a single person. One of the best things to come out of the internet, right up there with dril tweets, and this was a great one.

I wouldn't be surprised if by now they're into the four digits of numbers of contributors given how long it's been running and how many tracks they release a day

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011
Yeah, they've had regulars and teams of organizers, but there's no public master list of contributors. Public count of known people involved with the channel (even through a single rip) is over 1,100.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
Found a cute (modded) outfit, time take pictures

Kerrzhe
Nov 5, 2008

based yoshi-p using the ff14 moogle design for ff16

https://twitter.com/FF16_JP/status/1604325583004917765?s=20&t=1gbkHpOMCpjsNjoAmgkgRg

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

*summons Ifrit*

susan b buffering
Nov 14, 2016

Is there a way to know what average item lvl I need to have for 6.3 raids and such? Like is there a pattern I'm ignorant of?

NachtSieger
Apr 10, 2013

Yes there is a pattern you are ignorant of. I'm ignorant of it too!

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

susan b buffering posted:

Is there a way to know what average item lvl I need to have for 6.3 raids and such? Like is there a pattern I'm ignorant of?

Let's see... Aglaia required 565 and dropped 590 when tomestone gear was 590. Current tomestone gear is 620 so I'm gonna assume the raid will need 595.

That's the ilevel of the current endgame dungeon, if you're trying to get up that high in advance.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

Bruceski posted:

Let's see... Aglaia required 565 and dropped 590 when tomestone gear was 590. Current tomestone gear is 620 so I'm gonna assume the raid will need 595.

That's the ilevel of the current endgame dungeon, if you're trying to get up that high in advance.

Full gear from the current final dungeon is generally the requirement for the new non-MSQ stuff in the next patch. Which is helped by the new MSQ dungeon having higher ilvl.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

Finally cleared the tier! Really liked P8SP2 but I can do without having to reclear P1 every single time.

GeorgieMordor
Jan 23, 2015
What are some fun ways to level alternate jobs? I love this games approach to level different classes, but after finishing MSQ through 6.2 I’m having a hard time finding “productive” ways to keep playing. I have a few lvl 80s and would be excited to play more of the jobs but they seem to hit a big wall in the lvl 40-70 range the way I’m going about it. Right now I’m working on an Astrologian - my first healer job and pretty fun.

Feel like I need some advice to broaden my horizons. Any recommendations for different types content that can be done with pre-80s?

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
the best way will always be roulettes, though you run the risk of getting tam-tara/crystal tower 5 times a week that way. roulettes are fun if you like dungeons/trials/etc though

there's also the deep dungeons, first one is in quarrymill and has 100 levels you can do for the story which will give a fair amount of levels

at 70 you can bozja i guess?

GilliamYaeger
Jan 10, 2012

Call Gespenst!
There's also the Beast Tribe Quests, which are daily quests that give you a chunk of XP, kill time between roulette queues and most of all advance a neat little side story. I don't think there's any Beast Tribe questline that's actively terrible, and they're all at least interesting enough.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness
1-30 every roulette they let you into + hunting log (yes even guildhests because they're so loving fast even if it's only like 10k exp tops)
30-41 is the start of the roulette slog (don't sleep on the daily Frontlines it's like half a level)
41-50 roulettes + ARR beast tribes
51-60 you can do palace of the dead but I would just roulette + HW beast tribes
61-70 you can do heaven-on-high but I would just roulette + StB beast tribes
71-90 bozja and yes I did say ninety it's that fast

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
Queue for your highest leveling dungeon, but not the level X0 endgame dungeons, those reward basically no XP. Fill the queue times with FATEs, side/daily quests, gathering/crafting and daily hunts. Or do deep dungeons (1-60, 61-70) and Bore-ja (70+) if that's your thing :rubby:.

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer
I must being doing something wrong with Bozja because leveling 70-90 in there is incredibly slow going. Is the key to stay in Bozja and not go to Zadnor?

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
the key is that it feels slow because while the actual boss fight fates are p. cool and good, everything else is literally just a brain melting fate grind

Onean
Feb 11, 2010

Maiden in white...
You are not one of us.
Doing your daily Hunt targets while waiting for queues or doing tribal quests during 50-90 (the ARR ones don't give EXP, but the Hunting Log takes it's place instead) is something to keep in mind, too. Especially from 80-90. They range from 33-23% (X0 to X9) of a level in the other level ranges, but 80-90 they're worth 50-30% (80 to 89) of a level.

Saintv77
Aug 5, 2008

Leveling up your grand company rep enough will unlock the Adventurer squadron, a precursor to trusts group of customizable npcs that tear through some dungeons super fast and basically ignore all the mechanics. It takes a few time gated days of missions to unlock them last I checked and they only have a selection of dungeons they can access but they're a decent brainless way to get 18-60 on alt jobs. Just look up which of the available dungeons are most efficient to farm, as some are much better than others.

Also heaven on high is the lvl 60-70 Stormblood iteration of palace of the dead, if you haven't burned out on that yet.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Kashuno posted:

I must being doing something wrong with Bozja because leveling 70-90 in there is incredibly slow going. Is the key to stay in Bozja and not go to Zadnor?
Zadnor 3, join the fate train, do CEs when available because they're worth more. It'll take you like 40 million mettle worth of events, so it's slow, but it's faster than anything else!

Theris
Oct 9, 2007

The key to leveling alt jobs without getting bored or burnt out is to not be in a hurry. Do your daily roulettes, beast tribes from 70-90, (you can do them from 50-69 if you really want to but the XP/level chunks per time is substantially worse) and then do something else with your time. Grindy mind-numbing stuff like Bozja or repeatedly queuing for the highest available non-x0 dungeon should only come into play if you're trying to get that job to 90 ASAP for some reason.

DelphiAegis
Jun 21, 2010
One thing about the game that I'm realizing as I close in on all 90s is just how many loving poetics just the roulette give you. I think I have 3 or 4 HW relics worth of materials in my bags because there wasn't much else to spend the poetics on.

It also helps to level in "sections" based on role, armor the class uses, or whatever. The slog of getting everyone to 50 just so I could condense all my low level piecemeal gear into poetic armors took a lot of taxing mental comparisons on gear away completely.

The sad part is I only have two "you attain level 69!" messages left. :(

TheWorldsaStage
Sep 10, 2020

I cant level a job one after another in the same category, leading to a full three retainers full of low level poo poo for something ill level much later. Every year I keep saying I need to dedicate a day to clearing out poo poo I can easily get again but I just get another retainer...

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

I never made it past the first zone of Bozja because the FATE grind was too boring (I say this as someone who finished the ShB and EW Shared FATEs) and anytime I entered a CE I spent 99% of it dead

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Tekopo posted:

Finally cleared the tier! Really liked P8SP2 but I can do without having to reclear P1 every single time.

Phase 1 is extremely bad imho. The random, bifurcated mechanics pattern makes it really hard to get consistent practice on a particular part of the fight.

Cousin Todd
Jul 3, 2007
Grimey Drawer
My wife and I just started playing this, we're like level 20. It's surprising how frequently the game wants us to split up though, constantly telling us we can't advance while in a party together.

When/does that let up?

What aspects of the game are going to let us just hang out together instead of sending us in opposite directions for quests?

It feels like unless we accept exactly the same quests at exactly the same times one of us winds up without much to do while the other is being tasked with picking literal garbage up off the ground for lazy NPCs who can't be arsed to bend over.

What should we be looking forward to? I guess is the question. I haven't played an MMO since EverQuest and she hasn't played any other than Gaia online (lol)

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

the MSQ is basically a single player FF jrpg, so that wont stop until after you beat it really. Trials, Raids, other stuff is all group based.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

The actual story and progression is a mostly solo affair and that doesn't actually let up ever. Your grouping will focus primarily on dungeons, trials, and related instance content. Almost all questing is personal. The experience as a group is mostly social instead of collaborative unless you do raiding and such.

TheWorldsaStage
Sep 10, 2020

Yeah talking about the story beats is how you'll play the msq together basically.

Side quests (bronze) are for flavor, not exp. Blue Side quests are unlocks and recommended you do.

When I ran through the MSQ with friends one of us would always be a little farther but we'd wait to do the next dungeon together.

You'll unlock an epic shitton of dungeons along the way, that's how ff14 does its story, the dungeons are a part of it

Cousin Todd
Jul 3, 2007
Grimey Drawer
Fair enough. Haven't done any dungeons yet, are we likely to be able to complete many of them as a duo?

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

Kharmakazy posted:

My wife and I just started playing this, we're like level 20. It's surprising how frequently the game wants us to split up though, constantly telling us we can't advance while in a party together.

When/does that let up?

You'll get instanced solo quests often throughout the MSQ. So it never lets up as long as there's story to do.

quote:

What aspects of the game are going to let us just hang out together instead of sending us in opposite directions for quests?

It feels like unless we accept exactly the same quests at exactly the same times one of us winds up without much to do while the other is being tasked with picking literal garbage up off the ground for lazy NPCs who can't be arsed to bend over.

What should we be looking forward to? I guess is the question. I haven't played an MMO since EverQuest and she hasn't played any other than Gaia online (lol)

Dungeon and raid content will let you party up and you'll steadily unlock more of those things as you level up (dungeons and trials are at various points in the story, with optional content mostly every ten levels at 50/60/70/80/90; don't be scared by the "Hard" in some of the names, as nothing with "Hard" in its name is difficult). The story will make you do a 3-part raid at level 50 and then the 60/70/80/90 raids are all optional but should absolutely be done by everyone.

For "hang out together" content, there are things like treasure maps and hunt trains (which are huge groups of players who sweep through zones murdering overworld bosses, but are mostly in endgame zones). You can also join a FC if you're not on the free trial and get the social aspects of a guild

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

Fister Roboto posted:

Phase 1 is extremely bad imho. The random, bifurcated mechanics pattern makes it really hard to get consistent practice on a particular part of the fight.
Yeah p1 was the first time in basically two entire tiers where I almost felt my static got hard stuck and we weren’t making progress. Clearing the psychological barrier of getting through p1 helped a lot and p2 prog was a delight. The difficulty of this tier was really skewed, we breezed through until p8s and that took longer than all other fights combined. I preferred having the P3S wall to be honest.