Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

https://twitter.com/guardiannews/status/1604939938419589121

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

Convex posted:

Apologies for source. Think I missed this a few days a go, this is big news right?

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2022/12/17/first-time-drug-users-will-not-prosecuted-police-chiefs-plan/

Not really. Most people are given a 'cannabis warning' for a first offence, so no change there. I'm not sure what the situation is like with cocaine these days, but I guess very small amounts of that would be the same.

This is big news however for the private companies who'll win the contracts. Those bullshit compulsory courses aren't cheap to run....

Nilbop
Jun 5, 2004

Looks like someone forgot his hardhat...

I remember years ago reading those stories along the lines of "If you took London out of England it would turn into an economic third world country overnight" and these days I'm like "Just economically?"

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008
It all just drums home that of the last couple of generation of elected politicians, 80% plus of them are completely loving useless when it comes to thinking long-term.
The current political thinking is that you only worry as far away as the next election and that utterly fucks the country.
Everyone gets to blame the last shower of cunts, and they're right to do so, but almost no-one has any plan that extends beyond a couple of years of positive headlines.

radmonger
Jun 6, 2011

kingturnip posted:

Everyone gets to blame the last shower of cunts, and they're right to do so, but almost no-one has any plan that extends beyond a couple of years of positive headlines.

The exception being the European Research Group, who very much did did have a plan, and systematically worked to execute it over several decades.

It’s just unfortunate that that plan was total bollocks.

Mr Phillby
Apr 8, 2009

~TRAVIS~

Comrade Fakename posted:

Twitter update: Elon lost the vote and then didn’t post for 8 hours or so, presumably trying to think of a way to get out of it. Then he found one!

https://twitter.com/hasanthehun/status/1604992055163310088
lol at the master of free speech introducing a Poll Tax to his weird selective twitter poll democracy gambit.

He really did think that putting up a 'should i step down' poll up after making everyone mad by briefly unilateraly banning puting links in tweets would bolster his support. Like oh no i hosed up again but everyone still loves me right?

There was no plan to step down, no replacement Ceo to smooth things over, no plan to unload this concrete necklace thats dragging Tesla's share prices down with him. He's going to turn twitter into his own personal fart chamber, where the only voices heard are the ones that are telling him how great huffing his farts are because he loves it when people do that. Thats all this is.

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

kingturnip posted:

the last shower of cunts

feel this should be "monsoon" or "tidal wave"

edit:

fuctifino posted:

This is big news however for the private companies who'll win the contracts. Those bullshit compulsory courses aren't cheap to run....

lol ofc

The Hausu Usher
Feb 9, 2010

:spooky:
Screaming is the only useful thing that we can do.

Mr Phillby posted:

lol at the master of free speech introducing a Poll Tax to his weird selective twitter poll democracy gambit.

He really did think that putting up a 'should i step down' poll up after making everyone mad by briefly unilateraly banning puting links in tweets would bolster his support. Like oh no i hosed up again but everyone still loves me right?

There was no plan to step down, no replacement Ceo to smooth things over, no plan to unload this concrete necklace thats dragging Tesla's share prices down with him. He's going to turn twitter into his own personal fart chamber, where the only voices heard are the ones that are telling him how great huffing his farts are because he loves it when people do that. Thats all this is.

I wouldn't normally care, bigger things in the world and all that, but the left wing voices and causes I've been made aware of through that app the last decade has been pretty cool. I remember thinking once people shift to Twitter from traditional media they will become better informed and it'd be a key tool in righting the ship - that idea died a fair few years ago now but it's still cool to see the swell of support for strikers, et al on there. You won't be seeing that on BBC Morning shows.

I haven't found an alternative that comes close.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

tbh if there's one utility to twitter it's the unbridled access to make otherwise untouchable people miserable

it's painfully obvious how much musk is seething daily and that lightens my mood every time I think about it

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

I can hold in my head the seemingly contradictory ideas that (A) If twitter dies it will be a material good for the entire planet, and (B) If twitter dies I will miss the shitposts and a convenient place to keep up with my parasocial relationships.

Goldskull
Feb 20, 2011

Xeno posted:

Can anyone recommend an artist to paint a cat picture in oil or acrylic? Reddit isn't helping and I've never 'commissioned' art before. Would like it to be realistic, rather than Napoleon-cat.

Also one who could make a cat sculpture from photos?

I can do that, but not before Xmas. Don't have DMs here but you can get me on manticoreaw at gmail.com, or same name on ko-fi/insta for work examples.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Bobby Deluxe posted:

I can hold in my head the seemingly contradictory ideas that (A) If twitter dies it will be a material good for the entire planet, and (B) If twitter dies I will miss the shitposts and a convenient place to keep up with my parasocial relationships.

I don't even think (A) is obvious if there isn't a replacement space for people on the left to congregate. I don't think these forums could handle the capacity

Mr Phillby
Apr 8, 2009

~TRAVIS~

Tesseraction posted:

tbh if there's one utility to twitter it's the unbridled access to make otherwise untouchable people miserable

it's painfully obvious how much musk is seething daily and that lightens my mood every time I think about it
'Comedy is legal again' would be one of the funniest tweets ever made if it wasn't for the whole enabling slurs thing.

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!
It will be an SA posters renaissance, they will all return like prodigal sons. The front page will once again be relevant.

The Perfect Element
Dec 5, 2005
"This is a bit of a... a poof song"

I'd be careful if there's a chance you'll urgently need to access that money soon. My medium risk vanguard fund (60/40 equity/bond index linked) has been hovering at around at around a -10 to - 5% loss since I invested around 9 months ago. I am trying to comfort myself by believing that the success of these investments are measured in years and decades.

There are instant access isas which pay out 2.5%. It's not gonna set your world on fire, but it's a small return, and it's safe.

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!

The Perfect Element posted:

I'd be careful if there's a chance you'll urgently need to access that money soon. My medium risk vanguard fund (60/40 equity/bond index linked) has been hovering at around at around a -10 to - 5% loss since I invested around 9 months ago. I am trying to comfort myself by believing that the success of these investments are measured in years and decades.

There are instant access isas which pay out 2.5%. It's not gonna set your world on fire, but it's a small return, and it's safe.

Yeah I'm pretty glad I cleared out my S&S ISA last year before things cratered. Sure you need to weather the storms and all that, but would rather not expose myself to that sort of risk when money is tight enough.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

My wife's has been at about 18% for the last two years, so no idea why yours has been doing that badly?

This is what worries me, is that I accidentally sign up for the wrong one and end up getting hosed because I chose the vanguard ppXL+ instead of the vanguard ppXL linked index spread or whatever.

Investing is wildly inaccessible, but then that's the point isn't it?

The Perfect Element
Dec 5, 2005
Tbf I'm not sure how it's measured. Your wife's might be at 18% for the whole time she's had the money invested, in which case it would make sense, as before the invasion of Ukraine most funds were doing really well. I invested literally a day or two before the invasion, lol :cry:

The fund I picked had delivered something mad like a 40% return the previous year

Edit: an 11.17% return actually, a wildly different figure. I too have no idea about investing.

The Perfect Element fucked around with this message at 15:28 on Dec 20, 2022

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Mr Phillby posted:

'Comedy is legal again' would be one of the funniest tweets ever made if it wasn't for the whole enabling slurs thing.

that he did that and then immediately started banning parody accounts and especially accounts that specifically made fun of him, just incredible poo poo

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

keep punching joe posted:

Yeah I'm pretty glad I cleared out my S&S ISA last year before things cratered. Sure you need to weather the storms and all that, but would rather not expose myself to that sort of risk when money is tight enough.

Yeah in around 2004 I put £7k (max allowed) in an S&S Isa and it grew to about £10k then The Big Short happened and it went right down to £4k and took another 4 years to get back up to the £7k originally put in. I decided then that I wasn't rich enough to be able to bear that kind of risk, so stocks & shares no more.

Lady Gaza
Nov 20, 2008

Bobby Deluxe posted:

My wife's has been at about 18% for the last two years, so no idea why yours has been doing that badly?

This is what worries me, is that I accidentally sign up for the wrong one and end up getting hosed because I chose the vanguard ppXL+ instead of the vanguard ppXL linked index spread or whatever.

Investing is wildly inaccessible, but then that's the point isn't it?

I think vanguard factor in your deposits when calculating the % return, if you calculated just what you received on top of deposits it’d be lower.

A while back I switched away from their UK-weighted funds to the FTSE Global All Cap, glad I did that before Truss and Kwarteng crashed our economy.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
In the grim darkness of the distant future, there is only self-investment plans. - Warhammer 401k

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

Tesseraction posted:

Yeah I said in one of the musk threads that I'm grateful to that dumb fuckin' boer for almost single-handedly curing me of my imposter syndrome

He may have more money than I can even conceive of, but Elon Musk is a moral, intellectual, and spiritual worm compared to me, anyone I know personally, or anyone ITT (yes, anyone) - and I'm a pretty goddamn mediocre person.

I'd really, honestly, genuinely rather be dead than be a hosed-up broke-brained monster manbaby like him. Being a billionaire is a fate worse than death. Every single day I'm reminded of how utterly, soul-destroyingly miserable he clearly is, and that makes me very happy indeed lol

The Perfect Element
Dec 5, 2005
Above post could basically apply to JKR as well. Infinite money and sycophancy breaks people's brains and spirits.

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

Guavanaut posted:

In the grim darkness of the distant future, there is only self-investment plans. - Warhammer 401k

42,002: thatcher has sat on her throne for forty thousand years. she and her infernal army of the damned will only rest once they have exterminated scroungers

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!
I suspect that the billionaires who interact with only other billionaires in the rarified cocoon of ultra-wealth are probably pretty drat happy. I don't imagine Bernard Arnault, the world's new richest man, spends a great deal of time raging about mocking shitposts on Twitter.

Fake edit: it's almost beyond belief that Musk has lost over $100 billion of his personal fortune, and is watching the share value of his most prized company tick down in real time, purely because he's a tissue-skinned egotistical manbaby who refuses to admit to any mistakes. But it also makes for enjoyable schadenfreude because he is such a ridiculous and unpleasant character.

Small Strange Bird fucked around with this message at 16:12 on Dec 20, 2022

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Listen buddy, we all got problems!

Yes you should always look at investments like this.
Investments should be a 'multiple years' affair. If you need that money at all soonish then you should hold it in a simple savings account and eat the interest loss.

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

Yeah in around 2004 I put £7k (max allowed) in an S&S Isa and it grew to about £10k then The Big Short happened and it went right down to £4k and took another 4 years to get back up to the £7k originally put in. I decided then that I wasn't rich enough to be able to bear that kind of risk, so stocks & shares no more.

And that's fine, never invest money you don't have and couldn't in theory afford to lose. But remember, until you cash out you still have those shares and historically the markets always recover but you have to be able to afford to wait that out, most recessions its 2 years, 2008 was longer than normal. If they ever don't.....well congratulations our communist utopia has begun.

Personally my money always goes in this order of priority.
1) Bills
2) Debts (thankfully I don't have any of these anymore)
3) Emergency fund ( I like 6 months, some people do 2/3)
4) holiday/fun fund
5) Investments
6) Mortgage extra payments

Mega Comrade fucked around with this message at 16:21 on Dec 20, 2022

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting

Above post could basically apply to JKR as well. Infinite money and sycophancy breaks people's brains and spirits.

I'm prepared to accept the broken brain and spirit.

The Perfect Element
Dec 5, 2005

NotJustANumber99 posted:

I'm prepared to accept the broken brain and spirit.

Then my friend you are already rich.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
Lol

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Barry Foster posted:

Yeah I said in one of the musk threads that I'm grateful to that dumb fuckin' boer for almost single-handedly curing me of my imposter syndrome

He may have more money than I can even conceive of, but Elon Musk is a moral, intellectual, and spiritual worm compared to me, anyone I know personally, or anyone ITT (yes, anyone) - and I'm a pretty goddamn mediocre person.

I'd really, honestly, genuinely rather be dead than be a hosed-up broke-brained monster manbaby like him. Being a billionaire is a fate worse than death. Every single day I'm reminded of how utterly, soul-destroyingly miserable he clearly is, and that makes me very happy indeed lol

Yeah there's nothing more affirming than watching a man who thinks he's the smartest person in every room face the reality of his stupidity having repercussions.

Him getting booed at Chappelle's gig and then posting the next day that he's not mad, he's laughing actually, and then deleting the post when everyone made fun of him harder for it was so good

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

kingturnip posted:

It all just drums home that of the last couple of generation of elected politicians, 80% plus of them are completely loving useless when it comes to thinking long-term.
The current political thinking is that you only worry as far away as the next election and that utterly fucks the country.

I was having a conversation with my barber about this exact thing earlier this year. Anything thats going to cause real long term benefit to the country will always have short term pain so no-one ever wants to do it.

If we'd have started building those new nuclear power plants 20 years ago we'd be loving laughing right now, but the short term pain at the time was all the loving nimbys saying they'd vote you out if you put one within 100 miles of them. I'd love some reporters to go back through archive footage and re-interview those people to see how they feel about their electricity bills now.

Same for the people that protested the offshore wind farms on the south coast.

And even then if by some miracle a big infrastructure project gets started the next government will either cancel it outright or cut it back so much its effectively pointless (Hello HS2!)

Absolute shower of shitheads.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Convex posted:

Apologies for source. Think I missed this a few days a go, this is big news right?

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2022/12/17/first-time-drug-users-will-not-prosecuted-police-chiefs-plan/

Still a bandage over the gaping wound of prohibition being a losing battle, but interesting that even the police seem tired of culture war poo poo

edit: possibly swap "tired of" with "underfunded for"

What is being "electronically drug tagged" because absent plumbing a testing device directly into your bloodstream I don't see how you can tell if someone is drugs at a distance.

Guavanaut posted:

Warhammer 401k

lmao

E: oh and I forgot congrats bobby

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ULeDlxa3gyc

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zQrdKtPJxI0

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 17:32 on Dec 20, 2022

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Lady Gaza posted:

A while back I switched away from their UK-weighted funds to the FTSE Global All Cap, glad I did that before Truss and Kwarteng crashed our economy.
I think my missus is on global high risk? Gambling essentially on the likelihood that where our country is getting absolutely hosed, someone else in another country is making a loving mint out of the chaos.

Anyway, heading home from town with a lovely present for her because she deserves it.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

is it a second dog

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

I said a present for the wife, not a snack for the dog!

killerwhat
May 13, 2010

Goldskull posted:

I can do that, but not before Xmas. Don't have DMs here but you can get me on manticoreaw at gmail.com, or same name on ko-fi/insta for work examples.

your paintings are very cool!

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
When April 2023 rolls around I'm thinking about taking the money from my extremely lovely Cash ISA and doing something else with it. If I just want an investment fund that I can basically forget about for years beside regular top-ups is it a choice between medium-risk Vanguard and whatever equivalent Hargreaves-Lansdown has? I'm looking at moneysaverexpert's recommendations for S&S ISAs and maybe it's just getting more conservative about money but I'm not sure I'm comfortable with some of their recommendations that are basically an app and nothing else.

Endjinneer
Aug 17, 2005
Fallen Rib

serious gaylord posted:

I was having a conversation with my barber about this exact thing earlier this year. Anything thats going to cause real long term benefit to the country will always have short term pain so no-one ever wants to do it.

If we'd have started building those new nuclear power plants 20 years ago we'd be loving laughing right now, but the short term pain at the time was all the loving nimbys saying they'd vote you out if you put one within 100 miles of them. I'd love some reporters to go back through archive footage and re-interview those people to see how they feel about their electricity bills now.

The way to get things done seems to be to manufacture a problem, then present your course of action as the only way out. Like Boris Johnson did with brexit.
Rather than telling everyone we're going to build seven new nuclear reactors by 2050 and then doing literally nothing else (like in April) we should just build seven piles of uranium. Once people notice the Cherenkov glow they'll be begging the government to wrap a reactor round them. Job done.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

Pierson posted:

When April 2023 rolls around I'm thinking about taking the money from my extremely lovely Cash ISA and doing something else with it. If I just want an investment fund that I can basically forget about for years beside regular top-ups is it a choice between medium-risk Vanguard and whatever equivalent Hargreaves-Lansdown has? I'm looking at moneysaverexpert's recommendations for S&S ISAs and maybe it's just getting more conservative about money but I'm not sure I'm comfortable with some of their recommendations that are basically an app and nothing else.

Do you know about the UK Personal Finance and Investing thread?

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3887120