Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

COPE 27 posted:

LOL the lazy fucks can't be bothered to disable the "place the item in the shopping bag" setting now that shopping bags are illegal.

Does it actually still say "shopping bag" and not just "in the bagging area" because that's hilarious. That's like a 2 second change that doesn't require any code to be re-compiled or anything, I could do it in our software right now and have every store updated by this afternoon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

COPE 27
Sep 11, 2006

Depends on the store, but at least one chain says that in french.

COPE 27
Sep 11, 2006

You have to build a literal food pyramid to fit a bunch of loose items onto the tiny shelf.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
There's no skip bagging button? Because for big things like paper towels there's no room for them.

Also during covid didn't all the toll booth operators get furloghed? Now you just put in your plate and pay online if you don't have an ipass/ezpass/$cumpass

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

HootTheOwl posted:

There's no skip bagging button? Because for big things like paper towels there's no room for them.

I think it depends on what item you are trying to scan. Whenever I buy something like thai chilli peppers I need to get the cashier to do a manual override because the scale doesn't detect a 0.01 lb weight change.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Ours always has the "skip bagging" button available but I'm not sure if there's other rules that get you flagged for attendant intervention if you use it. A bunch of the logic comes from this opaque service the store runs that we just call and it tells us what to do, which is fine by me because when it breaks we can just blame them.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

A lot of the ease of use stuff we've argued to have put in has come from our own frustration when testing the things built to specs the store wanted. Y'all have to use a self-checkout like once a week maybe and still find it super annoying so imagine how we feel doing it sometimes hundreds of times a week.

Self checkout is the only thing I get to be "professionally" an expert in and is also my own personal hell, it's great. Fantastic. I love my life choices.

nexous
Jan 14, 2003

I just want to be pure
also, re theft, when I worked at Best Buy as a teen, we were told 80% of shrinkage (theft) came from employees and only 20% from customers.

so replacing employees with robots may increase customer theft, but probably lowers theft as a whole, as well as labor. it’s a win win

with that said I fuckin hate self checkout

COPE 27
Sep 11, 2006

Shame Boy posted:

Ours always has the "skip bagging" button available but I'm not sure if there's other rules that get you flagged for attendant intervention if you use it. A bunch of the logic comes from this opaque service the store runs that we just call and it tells us what to do, which is fine by me because when it breaks we can just blame them.

For the 2 chains here: one gives you a single free skip and makes you ask for each one after, and the other one doesn't even have a skip bagging, although it does have an "I have returned the bag" which also requires approval after each one. Really annoying when I'm specifically trying to avoid talking to people in my weak language.

The stores also haven't bothered to recalibrate the scales, so now you set off "unexpected item" when you set down your heavier reusable bag,

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

nexous posted:

also, re theft, when I worked at Best Buy as a teen, we were told 80% of shrinkage (theft) came from employees and only 20% from customers.

so replacing employees with robots may increase customer theft, but probably lowers theft as a whole, as well as labor. it’s a win win

that sounds like bullshit tbh

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

In Training posted:

Having worked retail, I can believe it. Every store I was aware of had constant low level turnover when they'd find some employee either stealing or doing fucky things with prices at the register. A side effect of paying employees so little they can't reasonably afford the fancy toys they are selling.

nexous
Jan 14, 2003

I just want to be pure

In Training posted:

the employees stealing stuff? customers may have stolen stuff here and there, but the scale and organization of the employee theft was off the charts.

they would take empty refrigerator boxes from display units and fill them with car stereos. someone would come in, buy a refrigerator, and they would wheel the box full of stereos out to their truck. loss prevention was in on it, the cashiers were in on it.

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

thats not my problem

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

https://inthesetimes.com/article/walmart-corporations-wage-theft-labor-settlements-firms

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

employees cant steal from their employer, thats all their Surplus Value on the shelves .

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
Lmao if you worked retail and weren't also palming or discounting things for yourself.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

COPE 27 posted:

LOL the lazy fucks can't be bothered to disable the "place the item in the shopping bag" setting now that shopping bags are illegal.

The anecdote I heard is at one of our supermarkets that sells reusable bags, the self checkouts don't recognize the weight of them after they're scanned. So you scan a bag and set it up in the bagging area and the thing yells at you to put the item in the bagging area till the poor attendant comes over.

Also if you bring your own bag it'll yell about unexplained item in bagging area until an attendant comes. There's no way to not have an attendant come over unless you just carry all your things out in your arms.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
My local walmart is doing away with bags on the first. Just gonna walk in with an amazon box next time I go shopping.

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

In Training posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kGjSq4HqP9Y&t=271s

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

The anecdote I heard is at one of our supermarkets that sells reusable bags, the self checkouts don't recognize the weight of them after they're scanned. So you scan a bag and set it up in the bagging area and the thing yells at you to put the item in the bagging area till the poor attendant comes over.

Also if you bring your own bag it'll yell about unexplained item in bagging area until an attendant comes. There's no way to not have an attendant come over unless you just carry all your things out in your arms.

The correct idiotic solution is to place the items in the bagging area, pay, and then transfer to your bag, holding up the line even longer.

I do love my scan and go app so I can just scan my stuff when I put it in the bag in the store. Even with the laughable random checks, I'm pretty sure they are the best way to shoplift, even accidentally.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer
A few months ago, I was seeing a ton of different news sites doing articles about people being arrested for SS shoplifting in the self-checkout. I suspect it was probably overblown, but it's yet another reason not to use them. If your poo poo doesn't get scanned at a regular checkout, that's on the store, not on you.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

This is also something that's easily fixable configuration-wise and only happens because loss prevention is demanding that the scale be set up in the most hostile way possible.

jetz0r
May 10, 2003

Tomorrow, our nation will sit on the throne of the world. This is not a figment of the imagination, but a fact. Tomorrow we will lead the world, Allah willing.

nexous posted:

Pretty sure management still believes that, even with people pushing carts full of poo poo out the door every night, and a constant stream of people walking out with handfuls of stuff. The only response is to make employees more miserable.

No one is allowed to stop shoplifters, so the blame gets dumped on employees that are drinking an item sold in store without a receipt taped to it.

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

Ham Equity posted:

A few months ago, I was seeing a ton of different news sites doing articles about people being arrested for SS shoplifting in the self-checkout. I suspect it was probably overblown, but it's yet another reason not to use them. If your poo poo doesn't get scanned at a regular checkout, that's on the store, not on you.

They'll build a case against you, so you should probably be careful if you're doing this. I'd stick to just scanning organic items as regular.

ekuNNN
Nov 27, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Shame Boy posted:

Kinda amazed that loving Florida is doing something well but I guess MORE CARS is one of the only things we value

to be fair, having toll roads at all is not "doing something well"

Doggles
Apr 22, 2007

From a CNBC article titled "26-year-old coffee CEO lives on $25,000 a year outside of NYC: ‘I learned that you don’t need much to survive’"

quote:

For the first three years of running his business, Carvajal lived rent-free with his mom in the Bronx in her rent-stabilized apartment. Thanks to her, Carvajal was able to reinvest every bit of money made from the business back into it.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

also 26 and under means no health insurance. drat I shoulda become a grindset millionaire before I hit 27

Unless
Jul 24, 2005

I art

:c00lbert:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WGaFyjWzJLg

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

Shame Boy posted:

This is also something that's easily fixable configuration-wise and only happens because loss prevention is demanding that the scale be set up in the most hostile way possible.

This is the supermarket where baby formula is in a locked cage in the front of the store

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Ham Equity posted:

SS shoplifting? Don't like the sounds of that

Fat-Lip-Sum-41.mp3
Nov 15, 2003

Shame Boy posted:

Here they replaced most of the major toll booths with overhead sensors so if you have the RFID tag for tolls you can drive at full highway speed through the sensor and it works fine. You can also just get the tag at basically every grocery store for like five bucks in either permanent sticker or removable suction cup form, it's great.

In Maryland you don't even need an RFID. If you pass a toll without one, they photo your plate and you get a bill, not a violation, in the mail. If you set up an account it all happens automatically.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Fat-Lip-Sum-41.mp3 posted:

In Maryland you don't even need an RFID. If you pass a toll without one, they photo your plate and you get a bill, not a violation, in the mail. If you set up an account it all happens automatically.

It's the same way in Pennsylvania. Earlier this year when I visited my parents I got like $20, $1 bills in preparation, only to find out they did away with the toll machines.

It was nice having a stack of $1 for Wendy's promotion on breakfast sandwiches.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Fat-Lip-Sum-41.mp3 posted:

Yeah we have that here too, though I think you get a tiny amount off the cost of tolls if you have the RFID thing? I don't know I've never not had the tag since there's not really any reason not to.

cenotaph
Mar 2, 2013

BonHair posted:

The correct idiotic solution is to place the items in the bagging area, pay, and then transfer to your bag, holding up the line even longer.

I do love my scan and go app so I can just scan my stuff when I put it in the bag in the store. Even with the laughable random checks, I'm pretty sure they are the best way to shoplift, even accidentally.

Wegmans was testing one of these but axed it because of shoplifting. I was really looking forward to it because taking my stuff out of the cart and sometimes putting it back in depending on the cashier is pretty hard on my hosed up back. Would have been nice to cut that out.

ekuNNN
Nov 27, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
:hmmyes:

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IFvFgbuv-ZA

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

A bunch of guys with pitchforks and torches outside your house counts as a crisis imo.

Fat-Lip-Sum-41.mp3
Nov 15, 2003

Shame Boy posted:

Yeah we have that here too, though I think you get a tiny amount off the cost of tolls if you have the RFID thing? I don't know I've never not had the tag since there's not really any reason not to.

I think the camera technology wasn't good or high speed enough to reliably photograph every plate at the time the RFID services like EZ-Pass rolled out. It's redundant now.

COPE 27
Sep 11, 2006

Hey depending on who the PM is this month $1000 for rent is pretty affordable

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

Doggles posted:

From a CNBC article titled "26-year-old coffee CEO lives on $25,000 a year outside of NYC: ‘I learned that you don’t need much to survive’"

yup every loving time

also "why is nobody subscribing to our gaslight rags anymore"