Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!

aw frig aw dang it posted:

I've been surprised to see a bunch of people upset over the Renathal nerf on the official forums and on reddit. Maybe it's because I hate fishing for cards but I barely ever ran it due to it creating a 40-card deck. I don't get the appeal.
There are vocal online individuals who hate aggro and take this personally and want 40 life totals to be the default.

Renathal messed with balance in a really dramatic way, if I were a dev he would drive me insane.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

GET LOSE❌🗺️, YOUS CAN'T COMPARE😤 WITH ME 💪POWERS🇦🇺

mcbexx posted:

I got bad news for you then, but I'm sure you have found out by now ...

Did they backflip on the dust offer for it or what? It did seem weird they were singling it out but i assumed not all cards have a signature version

aw frig aw dang it
Jun 1, 2018

Jezza of OZPOS posted:

Did they backflip on the dust offer for it or what? It did seem weird they were singling it out but i assumed not all cards have a signature version

Can't dust signature cards for some reason

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

They specifically say they're offering 1600 dust for owners of signature anub in the patch notes though

Desert Bus
May 9, 2004

Take 1 tablet by mouth daily.

I've been surprised to see a bunch of people upset over the Renathal nerf on the official forums and on reddit. Maybe it's because I hate fishing for cards but I barely ever ran it due to it creating a 40-card deck. I don't get the appeal.

It's great in Wild Reno decks, still good enough to play, but I hope they remove it from Standard and revert the nerf. I was surprised they changed it but I don't pay a lot of attention to Standard.

Would have been nice of them to alter the stats a bit to make up for the nerf though.

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006
the stats aren't important with Renathal though, they could make him a 1/1 and it wouldn't change his play rate

bravesword
Apr 13, 2012

Silent Protagonist
Renathal didn’t kill control decks in the slightest; I don’t know what that’s about. If anything he improves them, because he gives them more of a cushion against aggro.

The appeal of Renathal is the same as Reno: People like being able to use more of their collections and that individual games are more varied. I don’t think it’s any more complicated than that. Both cards give you a payoff for putting a bunch of cards that would normally be suboptimal to use in your deck, so you don’t feel as bad about it.

Eeepies
May 29, 2013

Bocchi-chan's... dead.
We'll have to find a new guitarist.
Plague Priest untouched except for Renathal. Control meta here we go

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

I'm the lead trumpet player, playing loud and high is all I know how to do.

bravesword posted:

Renathal didn’t kill control decks in the slightest; I don’t know what that’s about. If anything he improves them, because he gives them more of a cushion against aggro.

The appeal of Renathal is the same as Reno: People like being able to use more of their collections and that individual games are more varied. I don’t think it’s any more complicated than that. Both cards give you a payoff for putting a bunch of cards that would normally be suboptimal to use in your deck, so you don’t feel as bad about it.

It can be both of these things.

The concept of Renathal killing attrition control was explored months ago in a VS podcast. In short, there weren't enough quality cards to just make a dumpy control deck per usual, so all the Renethal decks could outlast them via having 40 cards while having a cushion vs. aggro, so this is how XL Hunter/Druid/Mage became the top end for a while.

And the concept of people wanting to flex their cards without being competitive is a thing that has been looked at for decades with the EDH/commander format in Magic.

aw frig aw dang it
Jun 1, 2018

bravesword posted:

I hadn't considered that angle but I bet you're right. It can definitely get stale playing the same deck (and facing the same decks) over and over again, so having more cards could keep it interesting for longer if you can tolerate the extra variance.

Desert Bus
May 9, 2004

Renathal shines in Wild where you have a much wider pool of good stuff to slot into a 40 card deck and a lot more draw. I think it would just annoy me in Standard where it's much much harder to make a nice tight 40 card list without dipping into some more questionable choices.

aw frig aw dang it
Jun 1, 2018

Homie conceded because I was showing lethal, when I was about to die from fatigue before getting to swing.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

Jezza of OZPOS posted:

Im mad because i didnt realise you couldnt dust signature cards and my second legendary was a signature legendary that im never going to use

I also have Grand Magister Rommath, but I haven't bought the Season Pass yet.

:negative:

BIG HEADLINE fucked around with this message at 04:30 on Dec 20, 2022

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
just realized I have completed none of the event quests and now I have to put together a blood dk deck for the lifesteal

wish I hadn't deleted the default one

Olpainless
Jun 30, 2003
... Insert something brilliantly witty here.

Desert Bus posted:

Wild DiscoLock usually is just kind of an OK-ish deck compared to everything else. Fun but not really competitive, pretty cheap to build and easy to play. Tome made it obscene without jacking the cost up a lot so a lot of people were trying it out. I will not be sad to see it go. They design cards to try and make them work in Standard, and they def overpowered this one to try and make up for lack of support.

All that said, Tome was a lot of fun to play with while it lasted.

It enabled a lot of the most obscene Warlock stuff in general - and my god, can you imagine what Warlock would be like if stealer of souls got unbanned with the Tome tampering combo as well?

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

Part of me is sad i never got to try cthun warlock with it but ill live

Desert Bus
May 9, 2004

Olpainless posted:

It enabled a lot of the most obscene Warlock stuff in general - and my god, can you imagine what Warlock would be like if stealer of souls got unbanned with the Tome tampering combo as well?

Tomb was too beautiful to exist in Wild and nerfing it for Wild would kill it in Standard. They should have had it be mana dependent. Lower the cost to 1 or 2 and have it determine how many random cards you discard based on unspent mana.

Sloppy
Apr 25, 2003

Imagination will often carry us to worlds that never were. But without it we go nowhere.

Kind of bullshit I can't generate corpses off stolen cards as a non-DK class AND cards like Corpse Explosion get stuck in my hand forever because of it.

Capped
Jun 21, 2005
So I just had a battlegrounds game where everyone took the golden buddy quest reward except me. I was offered it and took another. Is everyone being offered the same quest reward something that's supposed to happen?

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Capped posted:

So I just had a battlegrounds game where everyone took the golden buddy quest reward except me. I was offered it and took another. Is everyone being offered the same quest reward something that's supposed to happen?

The golden buddy is an exceedingly rare (<0.1%) chance to occur, and requires everyone in the lobby to be buddy-eligible, so yes, it's the 1 case where everyone gets offered it, and you are 100% supposed to take it regardless if it's good, because you'll likely never see it again.

Obfuscation
Jan 1, 2008
Good luck to you, I know you believe in hell
Yesterdays patch made the buddy quest much more common.

Jolly Jumbuck
Mar 14, 2006

Cats like optical fibers.
Tome Tampering was one of my favorite cards in the Mechathun Warlock deck and helped get my final original 9 class up to 500 wins.

I had my fun and don't mind it being banned in Wild, but it does indicate an issue. As the game grows, various archetypes, both successful and unsuccessful in Standard, will eventually gather so much support in Wild that they could reach critical mass. Secret Mage is a toned-down example of this, but Discard Warlock broke it - there are too many cards that have discarding as the "drawback" and too many that benefit from being discarded. Same for the Demon Seed - too many cards in Wild give self-damage that turning this into a benefit and warped the game. I guess a lot of archetypes wouldn't be affected by this, but some where the meta speculation for their time in standard was "if this had a little more support in Standard, it could be playable/great", could potentially build up to wreck Wild at some point.

avantgardener
Sep 16, 2003

McSharpie posted:

Decided to try 30 card thief rogue with the concoction cards and made legend with it earlier today. It feels like the faster version works better in this meta.

### Smol Rooster Rogue
# Class: Rogue
# Format: Standard
# Year of the Hydra
#
# 2x (0) Preparation
# 2x (1) Blackwater Cutlass
# 2x (1) Concoctor
# 2x (2) Ghoulish Alchemist
# 2x (2) Jackpot!
# 1x (2) Maestra of the Masquerade
# 2x (2) Potion Belt
# 1x (2) Potionmaster Putricide
# 2x (2) Reconnaissance
# 2x (2) Tooth of Nefarian
# 2x (3) Vile Apothecary
# 2x (4) Swiftscale Trickster
# 2x (5) Contraband Stash
# 1x (5) Queen Azshara
# 2x (5) Wildpaw Gnoll
# 1x (6) Crabatoa
# 1x (7) Tess Greymane
# 1x (8) Shadowcrafter Scabbs
#
AAECAdW+BQah+QP7igTYtgTbuQTooAWLpAUMvYAE958EuqQE+6UE7KcE+awE1bYE+fEE3aAF36AF4KAF56AFAA==
#
# To use this deck, copy it to your clipboard and create a new deck in Hearthstone

This deck was unaffected by the nerfs and is surprisingly powerful. Also fun as the discover pool is great at the moment.

MinionOfCthulhu
Oct 28, 2005

I got this title for free due to my proximity to an idiot who wanted to save $5 on an avatar by having someone else spend $9.95 instead.
So like how dead is dagger rogue

I can get a lot of dust from this

Disargeria
May 6, 2010

All Good Things are Wild and Free!
I have never faced so many dagger and DR rogues before today. Like, what? 5 games in a row?? Post nerf?!

aw frig aw dang it
Jun 1, 2018

Disargeria posted:

I have never faced so many dagger and DR rogues before today. Like, what? 5 games in a row?? Post nerf?!

That's weird! I've only seen one Rogue today in Platinum.

fanny packrat
Mar 24, 2018

That's weird! I've only seen one Rogue today in Platinum.

I queued into five Renethal decks in a row this morning. They, uh, did not seem good.

When Pigs Cry
Oct 23, 2012
Buglord
Yeah, most of my games to diamond were against Rogues. I only got to play a few games last night, but most of them were against DK/Shaman

Color Printer
May 9, 2011

You get used to it. I don't
even see the code. All I see
is Ipecac, Scapular, Polyphemus...

either Brann or Druid really needs to get hit, I don't care which at this point. I love Brann to death but they never should have brought him back to Standard as he is now.

Starsfan
Sep 29, 2007

This is what happens when you disrespect Cam Neely
I'm not sure how the Renethal nerfs and the Death Knight buffs will impact things in Standard, but I wonder if Frost DK will become a tier 1 deck.. streamer Superior David was working with a 40 card Renethal frost DK deck in the top 50 or so of standard and the fact that many people will not be playing with 5 or 10 less health makes the burn nature of the deck very interesting.. It reminds me alot of burn shaman from last year where you have minions and weapons to play early to get some chip damage to the face in and then you have the burn spells to finish them off pretty reliably from 20-25 health over a turn or two.

youtube video below from his updated 30 card list and playing at top legend.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OE-PEP8sris

I'm just getting started against and it's an attractive option because you pretty much have all the DK cards you need if you unlock the class and buy the path of arthas thing with gold (which I assume most have done) and the only stuff you may need to craft is School Teacher and Guild Trader so it's like 900 dust outside of the DK stuff.

**and I mean it's not like School Teacher is an absolutely fundamental card to the deck, it's just pretty good in general and could probably be swapped out.. but I assume most everyone has 2 copies of it since it's been a meta player in many tier 1 decks since it came out.

Starsfan fucked around with this message at 23:59 on Dec 20, 2022

Cart
Sep 28, 2004

They see me rollin...

Refund question - say I dust my refundable cards, am I likely to be offered them in future pack openings or will I never see them again?

Like I'd happily dust my Tome Tamperings, but the completionist in me wants to make sure I can still get them again (knowing the dupe rules and all on pack openings).

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

Cart posted:

Refund question - say I dust my refundable cards, am I likely to be offered them in future pack openings or will I never see them again?

Like I'd happily dust my Tome Tamperings, but the completionist in me wants to make sure I can still get them again (knowing the dupe rules and all on pack openings).

dusting a card does not reset dupe protection - you still "got" the card and so it won't get offered again until you have every other card

it is also not guaranteed at that point (except in specific cases where it was, due to a bug, where people made thousands of Dust from repeatedly buying packs, dusting the refunded rare, buying a pack, etc)

Strawberry Panda
Nov 4, 2007

Breakfast Defecting, Slow Dick Touching, Root Beer Barreling SwagVP
I logged on and was gifted a legendary card so I guess I benefited from the nerfs somehow.

Shockeh
Feb 24, 2009

Now be a dear and
fuck the fuck off.
As the Druid plays his second Denathrius and third Astalor, I realise I want Brann AND Guff gone. Stop allowing core limits to be broken easily and only by one class you dicks.

E. Revenant
Aug 26, 2002

If the abyss gazes long into you then stare right back;
make it blink.
You can get random cards of the same rarity from the rewards track if it's duplicating one you already have.

Some of you you might already know about this but I just now discovered this and feel it's worth sharing. You don't have to claim the gold cards like Banshee, Coroner, etc on the expansion reward track immediately. You can bank those rewards for latter and if you get that same card from packs you can then keep the golden version and reroll for a new card of the same rarity. This is most useful on Plaguespreader since that gets you an epic card vs the other rares and commons.

So if you really don't need the free gold cards right now it's not a bad idea to hold off until this rewards track expires to claim them and you might get some better cards from the replacement.

Starsfan
Sep 29, 2007

This is what happens when you disrespect Cam Neely

Shockeh posted:

As the Druid plays his second Denathrius and third Astalor, I realise I want Brann AND Guff gone. Stop allowing core limits to be broken easily and only by one class you dicks.

Looking forward to April of 2023 when they print the DK card that uses corpses to cheat massive amounts of mana and it ruins standard for 2 years

**you loving know they are going to do something truly rancid because DK was such a flop on release

aw frig aw dang it
Jun 1, 2018

Dunno that I'd call DK a flop. It's really quite popular as a class, even without a T1 deck. The fact that nobody brought it to Worlds was embarrassing for Blizzard, but aside from that it seems like lots of people are enjoying it.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
Its kind of crazy they've committed to making cards for 11 classes every time they want to release cards.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

No Wave posted:

Its kind of crazy they've committed to making cards for 11 classes every time they want to release cards.

I'm thinking this is the year I just stop playing Hearthstone. It's only a matter of time before we get *another* in-game currency to go along with gold and runestones, and their playtesting has gotten atrocious.

It's just not fun in Standard or Wild anymore.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Heroic Yoshimitsu
Jan 15, 2008

I consistently have fun in standard