Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lakedaimon
Jan 11, 2007

I dont play nearly enough to make the battle pass worth it for me, but I do like that you dont have to buy it up front you can see if you can get to 50 first before you plunk your cash on the barrel. Of course I think their ultimate goal is for someone to hit like level 42 and let the sunk cost theory kick in so they buy the remaining levels at 625 dubs a pop and then the 2500 to get a mediocre premium ship.

Their newish strategy of these cheap looking sequential bundles (like the 18 part Black Friday thing where you get a Shinonome B at the end) is also pretty diabolical. Im still sitting on a pile of doubloons from many Christmases ago and im sorely tempted to splurge.

I have to agree about the British battlecruisers. I'm almost through the Rooke and its a fun ship. The guns are so effective I actually thought they were 16" guns (I keep getting the Hawke and Rooke mixed up). Short fuse AP is in my opinion almost always better - turning so many overpens into regular pens makes my salvos consistently better and I get tons of 10000+ damage broadsides.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Velius
Feb 27, 2001
Shinonome is a pretty bad premium, and the bundle other than giving premium time and some economic bonuses is only a slight discount for Black Friday premium containers. If you want a Black Friday ship buying one directly is much more efficient.

Lakedaimon
Jan 11, 2007

Velius posted:

Shinonome is a pretty bad premium, and the bundle other than giving premium time and some economic bonuses is only a slight discount for Black Friday premium containers. If you want a Black Friday ship buying one directly is much more efficient.

im gonna stop at like the third one that only costs a doubloon. I already have a Shinonome (and its underwhelming), and paying 2k doubloons for a mission that gives you 1500 is not exactly enticing.

starting to like the Z-31. Its not a good bote, but im beginning to see the potential in the line just hucking AP at everything. Need the higher output of the later ships though.

Velius
Feb 27, 2001

Lakedaimon posted:

im gonna stop at like the third one that only costs a doubloon. I already have a Shinonome (and its underwhelming), and paying 2k doubloons for a mission that gives you 1500 is not exactly enticing.

starting to like the Z-31. Its not a good bote, but im beginning to see the potential in the line just hucking AP at everything. Need the higher output of the later ships though.

Z-31 is pretty awful. Maerker and beyond are much more workable boats, but they definitely struggle with getting just zoned out by stealthy dds and beat up by battleship/cruiser AP themselves. I found it to be mostly a fun grind though - when you get destroyers to angle just right to arm the AP but not bounce it it’s magical, potentially 8k+ salvoes from Elbing or Schulz.

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

That was Gary Cooper, asshole.

Nap Ghost

Lakedaimon posted:

I liked the line a lot. The Z-31 is not great, but the GJ Maeker and Felix Schultz are a nice improvement. I haven't liked the Elbing as much as the Schultz, but most of that is due to just how much harder tier 10 is. Plus, the sluggishness of the turning radius really starts to add up.

Lakedaimon
Jan 11, 2007

Ive been pleasantly surprised at how few ricochets ive been getting even against angled DDs. And BBs dont seem to realize im hitting them for like 3k a salvo.

kaesarsosei
Nov 7, 2012
Z-31 is the worst DD in the game. It only avoids being the worst ship in the game by virtue of being a DD, but I would much rather play a T-22 in any situation than a Z-31.

Maerker is passable and Shultz is really good. I haven't played enough Elbing but I have enjoyed what I have seen so far.

kaesarsosei
Nov 7, 2012
The usual, tired question but does anyone have any of these ships and which one would they recommend using my steel coupon on:

Mecklenburg
Incomparable
Austin
Ragnar

Ruled out Shiki, since I have Yamato and Satsuma.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf
Probably Ragnar/Incomparable, then Mecklenburg. Would not touch Plymouth or Austin.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Gwaihir posted:

Probably Ragnar/Incomparable, then Mecklenburg. Would not touch Plymouth or Austin.

Austin's unlimited use reload booster seems real loving sick.

I opened a bunch of the biggest gifts (traded in the tokens you get from T10s) and got literally 100+ camos which is a real poo poo move to put in those boxes because camos are 100% worthless now, but also the Ise.

Velius
Feb 27, 2001

Shaman Tank Spec posted:

Austin's unlimited use reload booster seems real loving sick.

I opened a bunch of the biggest gifts (traded in the tokens you get from T10s) and got literally 100+ camos which is a real poo poo move to put in those boxes because camos are 100% worthless now, but also the Ise.

“Unlimited reload booster” is still time limited to probably at most 5 or 6 uses a game. And the rest of the time Austin is a CL with mediocre DPM and no utility.

I got shiki and Mecklenberg the last few days, the Shiki is fine but boring and doesn’t do anything Yamato doesn’t do, while Mecklenberg at least has a gimmick. But it isn’t a particularly fun ship. Ragnar is a solid boat, so is Incomp. I’d get those first.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

On the opposite side, I got the San Diego from one of Twitch's free boxes. That seems to have ALL THE UTILITY and also SAP and a reload booster. Weird bote.

And if anyone didn't know, Twitch Prime is giving everyone 2 of each box for free right now, even for trial members. Chances are you'll just get a bunch of camos or flags, but you can also get ships as I proved.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

After getting the Prime offer and doing all my coupon battles and other freebies I had 6 mega, 2 big, and 6 small containers to open, and the only ship I got was a Jurua from a mega.

Velius
Feb 27, 2001
So far I’ve opened around 44 mega containers, and have yet to receive a ship I’d ever actually play (hill, rio se Janeiro, dunquerque, maya, huanghe, Bearn), no steel, 15k coal, and that’s it. I’d be really angry if I’d spent money on them, but it was all ranked and other free doubloons. Don’t gamble on dumb loot crates for this game, the vast majority of what you get is garbage. Buy a good premium directly if you don’t have one and have doubloons.

Velius fucked around with this message at 14:27 on Dec 16, 2022

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Velius posted:

Don’t gamble on dumb loot crates for this game, the vast majority of what you get is garbage.

Yeah I've been thinking the same. There's so much poo poo padding in even the biggest boxes that you probably won't get anything close to how much you paid for them.

Blindeye
Sep 22, 2006

I can't believe I kissed you!
I shockingly got a Black from my twitch pack, which means the only coal ships left to get for me are Carnot, Marco Polo (lmao), and Z-44 (double lol).

None of those three are worth it, right?

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.
THIS ISNT A CARRR I growl as I queue into battle in my Carnot

Chair In A Basket
Aug 6, 2005

I'm basically Jesus.

Nap Ghost
TY Bezos Boxes.

180 + 90 days premium and a Duke Of York.

Velius
Feb 27, 2001

Blindeye posted:

I shockingly got a Black from my twitch pack, which means the only coal ships left to get for me are Carnot, Marco Polo (lmao), and Z-44 (double lol).

Nope! Z-44 is very vulnerable to hydro battleships which are now everywhere, because the only thing it has are fast and low detection torpedoes, while hydro ignores the latter. The torpedo damage is very low and it gives up any hydro of its own and has bad German smoke in exchange.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING
Got a Hornet. My cancer collection grows.

Burt
Sep 23, 2007

Poke.

Is there some weirdness going on that you can no longer sell economic bonuses?

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Blindeye posted:

The yolo can be fun.

Blindeye
Sep 22, 2006

Stanley Pain posted:

The yolo can be fun.

How?

kaesarsosei
Nov 7, 2012
I suspect he thought the Paolo Emilio was on the list.

From the list, I honestly wouldn’t get any of those ships. I guess if you literally have nothing else to spend the coal on, I would probably go Z-44.

Blindeye
Sep 22, 2006

gently caress that; I'll save it for the next batch of coal ships.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

Malta or Immelmann?

Velius
Feb 27, 2001

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

Malta or Immelmann?

Neither? You see many more Malta in randoms but that might just be the novelty. I don’t know anything about cvs to give you an informed opinion.

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

You do the thing then alt-f4 outta the game.

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.

Stanley Pain posted:

You do the thing then alt-f4 outta the game.

You're thinking of the Yolo Emilio, but he said Marco Polo.

colonelwest
Jun 30, 2018

The Witcher 3 upgrade is gorgeous and has some great improvements to the combat, but the performance is pretty bad. I’m getting around 50 fps average at 4K/max/RT-off on an overclocked 3080ti. Turning on RT makes it a slide show. I’d recommend waiting for it to be patched.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

Malta or Immelmann?

Malta. The Immelmann isn’t bad but the Nakhimov does the skip bombing thing a lot better. The Malta’s level AP bombers ought to be declared a war crime.

masterpine
Dec 3, 2014

Malta is slowly becoming the CV I fear most, it dishes out absurd direct damage.

Have been playing a lot of Tromp, it's good? Maybe situation-ally a bit broken? If you get a game without CV's you can kind of do whatever you want and keep killing everything with your dope 10 second strikes. If you get into a DD fight, you're a Ragnar-Lite and generally slap people around.

kaesarsosei
Nov 7, 2012
The buzz pre-release around the Tromp was very negative but I always thought any DD with 5.9km is going to be decent at T10. I haven't looked at the numbers but its gun performance can't be much worse than Ragnar surely? The radar of Ragnar to me can be something of a double edged sword - there are a fuckton of T9/10 DDs that will out-trade a Ragnar at <7.5km eg Harugumo, Daring, even gun spec'd Gearings/Hallands - unless you catch them in smoke. Smaland does not have that weakness and when I play my Smaland its very rare I catch potato DDs camped in smoke for a free kill. Unlike Ragnar though, Smaland can outtrade everything or at least get a 1-1 at 6km which is most often the range a concealment Smaland will engage at.

I picked Tromp up but haven't played it yet, I'm trying to get through the snowflakes still.

toadee
Aug 16, 2003

North American Turtle Boy Love Association

kaesarsosei posted:

The buzz pre-release around the Tromp was very negative but I always thought any DD with 5.9km is going to be decent at T10. I haven't looked at the numbers but its gun performance can't be much worse than Ragnar surely? The radar of Ragnar to me can be something of a double edged sword - there are a fuckton of T9/10 DDs that will out-trade a Ragnar at <7.5km eg Harugumo, Daring, even gun spec'd Gearings/Hallands - unless you catch them in smoke. Smaland does not have that weakness and when I play my Smaland its very rare I catch potato DDs camped in smoke for a free kill. Unlike Ragnar though, Smaland can outtrade everything or at least get a 1-1 at 6km which is most often the range a concealment Smaland will engage at.

I picked Tromp up but haven't played it yet, I'm trying to get through the snowflakes still.

You don't understand Ragnar.

https://streamable.com/ceeewh

Ragnar is a light cruiser with an insane speed boost. With AFT, you simply sit in a bigger ships face and dare it to hit you while you're beating it to death. Because your icon is a triangle, cruiser players will scoff and think "surely, I am the counter", until they suddenly notice they are losing, badly.

Most games I never even touch the radar. Most of the time DDs will just get themselves killed (especially since you are shooting all of their supporting ships to death and so they are far too preoccupied to help with anything else).

Sometimes, situationally, you can push into a DD that can't pen your armor and just t pose on them while radaring. Most of the time though just ignore that icon and pretend you don't have it, you'll live longer.

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

That was Gary Cooper, asshole.

Nap Ghost

masterpine posted:

Malta is slowly becoming the CV I fear most, it dishes out absurd direct damage.

Have been playing a lot of Tromp, it's good? Maybe situation-ally a bit broken? If you get a game without CV's you can kind of do whatever you want and keep killing everything with your dope 10 second strikes. If you get into a DD fight, you're a Ragnar-Lite and generally slap people around.

I've like the handful of games I've been able to play in the Tromp so far. It is definitely not a Ragnar though on dealing with bigger ships. It doesn't have that Ragnar/Elbing super low dispersion.
I do like the strikes though, being able to catch someone as they go behind cover and set a nice fire is fun. Or when they are getting ready to leave cover. Or just existing.

Ragnars are scary for me, as unless I'm in a gunboat DD and manage to jump them, it never feels like I'm in a good place to counter them. Also I suck as speed juking and can only look at people with awe and annoyance as they seem to vibrate out of shells.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

It seems that the Tromp's air strike planes are either bugged or intentionally designed to not take damage from AA. A Tromp was striking at a nearby DD today, so I popped Defensive AA and reinforced a sector in the direction. Despite my guns going ham, I managed to do literally 0 points of damage to the planes. This was a Thunderer, so 0 damage is obviously not correct.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
Tromp is getting some love from the CC's. Seems like its real fun to play and can poo poo on island campers.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

i hate that this is every match these days regardless of level

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

Sad that Odin just ain’t cutting it in 1v1 battleship brawls. It does better when it has DDs to bully but in a battleship only meta it can’t quite cut it. RIP you weird Nazi twink, it’s all Massachusetts all the time.

e: every time I ping a red sub or DD my brain screams “I want that twink obliterated”

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

General Battuta posted:

You're thinking of the Yolo Emilio, but he said Marco Polo.

Oh poo poo hahaha. Yeah that thing is a POS.